• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you know what a "blobber" is, and did you frag the Foozle with your paddle?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
ITT outdated videogame terminology that you remember but do not see being used anymore.

A blobber is a first-person dungeon crawl RPG focused on grinding and solving the maze.
Frag is a 90s FPS term for blasting something.
Foozle is an RPG term referring to a token end-game boss.
Paddle is a term used by very old people for a "controller"

Nymphae

Banned
Watching Seinfeld last night and they call the remote a clicker lol, you never hear that anymore.

I still feel like I hear the word frag from time to time, particularly frag grenades.

Silent Duck

aA1mmL8.jpg

Paddle is a term used by very old people for a "controller"

Hey! You needed those paddles for Pong and Breakout, you young whipper snapper! Them joysticks just didn’t cut it.

Codes 208

i dont think fragging has changed that much in terminology. I play a lot of gears and thats usually referred to blowing something up (similar to how gibbing is used for goring someone with a gnasher)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Frag I remember. Paddle? Maybe, from a distance.

But what about folks that call levels "boards"?

The Doofer is the funniest old name for a remote I've ever come across.
Oooh "boards" instead of "levels" or "stages", I've heard that one in passing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Frag is big time, anytime you have a grenade. The other words you could paint as gibberish.

cormack12

Gold Member
Gank squad was really popular for the PvP zones in WoW at one point.
Since we got material in games wallbanging seems to have fallen out of favour as well.
Noob, although this is because you're more likely to just be called something worse

Kagey K

Banned
I still have friends online that say boards instead of maps in games like CoD and Halo.

We will be playing and suddenly they will be like “this is my favourite board. “

Boss Mog

I still feel like I hear the word frag from time to time, particularly frag grenades.

The frag in frag grenades is just short for fragmentation. Not really sure if the frag from gaming also comes from fragmentation, maybe though?

Nymphae

Banned
The frag in frag grenades is just short for fragmentation. Not really sure if the frag from gaming also comes from fragmentation, maybe though?

I'm not exactly sure, I think I first heard it playing Unreal Tournament back in the day, just as a term for killing someone basically, then started hearing it moreso as time went on and more games started using frag grenades.

Top Bottom