• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like reading books? Your top 5 books?

Do you like reading books?

• Yes.

Votes: 94 90.4%
  • No.

Votes: 10 9.6%

• Total voters

PhaseJump

Banned
Despite pirated downloads being too easy these days, I paid for The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen on Kindle. I have the paperbacks, but it's totally worth buying again.

It's on the same level as Dune, and Lord of the Rings. I suspect it will take years for the general public to wake up to it's magnitude.

Tams

So I went back and read Dune, and have now moved onto Dune Messiah.

For fuck's sake, Frank Herbert is a shit writer. Dune was bearable, but a slog. Dune Messiah is more of the same. Pages in and nothing has really happened, and the characters are shittily written. 'Using the calming voice, he said... "blah, blah, blah" Everyone knew this would calm but that is was a deception'. Just... utter shite.

Edit: Sorry EviLore EviLore , Frank Herbert just couldn't write characters and dialogue well at all. Great world builder, but his son was frankly a better writer.

Last edited:

Forsete

Gold Member
Damn, this probably changes from day to day. Very hard to list my favourite books.

But right now (top 4):

1. 1793 - Niklas Natt och Dag
2. 11/22/63 - Stephen King
3. The Given Day - Dennis Lehane
4. The Long Walk - Stephen King

Currently reading my first Tom Clandy book, Red Storm Rising and I am liking it a lot.

Edit: Ok, time to stop editing. :p

Last edited:

Velcro Fly

Lonesome Dove
The Way of Kings
The House of the Seven Gables
The Wizard and Glass
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Those five in no particular order.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Catch-22 - Heller
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Marquez
Conan series - Howard, Jordan etc
The Stranger - Camus

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged (Rand, duh) now

Last edited:

bajouras

I think my list is wierd and I can’t really chose one book when I think about series…
- Warhammer 40k Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin Series by Dan Abnett;
- The End of Mr.Y by Scarlett Thomas;
- The Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov;
- The City of Beasts series by Isabel Allende;

Chronicle

I'm not a good reader ㅜㅜ

1. One flew over the cuckoo's nest - Ken kesey
2. Dr. Jykell and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
3. Metamorphosis- Franz Kafka
4. (Non-fiction) The history of Britain - unsure
5. Hamlet - William Shakespeare

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I began believing in God again last evening and had spiritual experience through out the night. So one Bible, please next.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get past it.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Just bought every published Erikson & Esslemont Malazan book aside from the 7th novella. Now waiting for the contractually obligated followups; Kharkanas trilogy 3, Witness trilogy 2 and 3, novella's 7 8 and 9 to be written and collected, and whatever Esslemont does after Path to Ascendancy 4.

Go big or go home.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Pet Semetary by Stephen King is a frightening book and probably my favorite Stephen King book at the moment. The way King writes his characters and the town they live in, gives me a feeling of fear. A fear of the highway and large semi trucks driving at high speeds. A fear of some old evil entity existing somewhere in the world.

Confessions by Kanae Minato. The first couple chapters had me hooked and it was enough to stick around to see who did it. I would watch the film if I ever had the chance. It’s about a teacher whose kid is killed and she is interrogating the classroom on who did it.

Parasite Eve by Hideaki Sena. The game based off the book. It has a dark tone to it, starting at the beginning. You’re then taken on a journey. Don’t expect a 1:1 of the game here though.

Genocidal Organ by Project Itoh is another disturbing book. Which is probably why I enjoyed it so much. It’s very graphic and you feel the pain of war/destruction caused by war. It’s been a while since I read it. I also like The Hobbit.

Lasha

Pet Semetary by Stephen King is a frightening book and probably my favorite Stephen King book at the moment. The way King writes his characters and the town they live in, gives me a feeling of fear. A fear of the highway and large semi trucks driving at high speeds. A fear of some old evil entity existing somewhere in the world.

Confessions by Kanae Minato. The first couple chapters had me hooked and it was enough to stick around to see who did it. I would watch the film if I ever had the chance. It’s about a teacher whose kid is killed and she is interrogating the classroom on who did it.

Parasite Eve by Hideaki Sena. The game based off the book. It has a dark tone to it, starting at the beginning. You’re then taken on a journey. Don’t expect a 1:1 of the game here though.

Genocidal Organ by Project Itoh is another disturbing book. Which is probably why I enjoyed it so much. It’s very graphic and you feel the pain of war/destruction caused by war. It’s been a while since I read it. I also like The Hobbit.

Parasite Eve is a book whose flaws I can't get past despite how appealing it's themes are. The author leaned too much into his scientific training with textbook dumps about the mechanics of organ transplantation and Japanese attitudes on the practice. Reading the book was like panning for gold in a muddy river.

Have you ever read a book called "blood music"? I reckon it would be up your alley since it covers similar themes to parasite Eve.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Parasite Eve is a book whose flaws I can't get past despite how appealing it's themes are. The author leaned too much into his scientific training with textbook dumps about the mechanics of organ transplantation and Japanese attitudes on the practice. Reading the book was like panning for gold in a muddy river.

Have you ever read a book called "blood music"? I reckon it would be up your alley since it covers similar themes to parasite Eve.
No I have not. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check it out. I feel like Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir did that way too much. I can see why it’s so captivating, but it feels like the author is relying on it far too much. They’re explaining the reasoning to every single action the character takes. They might as well be prepping you for a quiz at the end.

Lasha

No I have not. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check it out. I feel like Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir did that way too much. I can see why it’s so captivating, but it feels like the author is relying on it far too much. They’re explaining the reasoning to every single action the character takes. They might as well be prepping you for a quiz at the end.

I stopped reading Weir after Artemis starred a reskinned Mark Watney. Weir is good at coming up with interesting scenarios that he fails to do much with. I applaud you for your perseverance.

PhaseJump

Banned
Ordered Memory Sorrow and Thorn from Amazon.

If they mismatch the paperback covers, or send me dog eared, ripped or cut up paperbacks. I'm going to flip out.
It's bad enough that TPB and MMPB covers typically get shit upon with recommendation quotes. I just want the whole Book 3, and matching spines.

I finished rereading Shadow of Self by Brandon Sanderson (Book 5 of Mistborn)

Now I'm rereading Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson(Book 6 of Mistborn)

I can't wait for The Lost Metal

Top Bottom