• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

do you split the restaurant bill with friends or pay for them too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about you but i hate the phrase ''i got it'' and this happens all the time with anyone i'm not close with so its whatever. It kinda calls for a ''na na don't worry I got it'' and it's such an awkward process. It'd be less of a hassle to just split the damn bill but what're you gonna do? I just accept. But when going out with actual close friends, everything is split. No need for formality or politeness. No problem.

Medalion

Banned
tumblr_lowrthTqak1qbxaj6o1_500.jpg

Always split, no matter the occasion, not even birthdays.

Hahaha good on ya. I usually get pressured into paying for the birthday boy/girl by that one person who tries to pressure everyone else into doing it because its the nice thing to do. Personally, I prefer to buy birthday drinks, but I can't afford to buy both.

Anno

We usually take turns, unless maybe one or two of us want to drop an inordinate amount of cash on expensive beer or wine.

Platy

Always split ... but sometimes I pay more for a friend who is unemployed or needing money to pay less.

Rather have a friend more to talk than "sorry, can't go .. i'm saving money"

We usually take turns, unless maybe one or two of us want to drop an inordinate amount of cash on expensive beer or wine.

This is the way to do it, especially if you go out with the same group of friends quite frequently.

Just take turns and over the long run, it evens out.

Splitting bills is some serious bullshit.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Split..

though now that I am older and married, when I go out on a double date with a good friend and his wife, I sometimes take the tab, and they sometimes take it, but it's rare and usually we split.

Split.

Unless there is some crazy occasion. Then someone will pay to make it easy on the restaurant if it is a large party. We then pay them later.

We're all poor. No freebies here usually!

mackattk

This is the way to do it, especially if you go out with the same group of friends quite frequently.

No way I am going to pay for someones lobster/beer/wine because it isn't their turn to pay, while buying the cheapest thing on the menu when they need to..

I can maybe understand it if the group is static, but what if Bob only shows up 1/4 of the time. If money wasn't an issue for me I wouldn't care as much though.

Splitting makes sense. It adopts the KISS method.

Ogni-XR21

Maybe someone could enlighten me, but when you say 'split' you just divide by the number of people no matter what each person had?

In Germany this would never happen. The waiter will come with the bill and ask everyone individually what they had and will add that shit up right in front of you. So you usuallyonly end up paying what you actually had.

see5harp

I'm alright with splitting as long as someone isn't being and overwhelming jerk with ordering tons of drinks/wine and dessert. I mean if I eat a salad and sip water, I really shouldn't need to be paying for some dude's scotch. If it's good friends and I got a raise, I have no prlblem footing the bill (this goes for family too).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have a system that seems to work well.

If I'm the one who suggests going out to eat somewhere, I cover the bill or chip in for more than just my share.

If someone is already going and I ask if I can tag along, I pay for myself and don't expect them to have to ask to split the bill.

The friends we go out to eat with most often think it's fine, and if they're over and really want to go somewhere and invite us along, they return the courtesy and cover the party.

Edit: one detail is that when someone else is playing host, I do not order more food, or more expensive food, than the host does unless they are specifically just getting a drink or snack for themselves.

Maybe someone could enlighten me, but when you say 'split' you just divide by the number of people no matter what each person had?

In Germany this would never happen. The waiter will come with the bill and ask everyone individually what they had and will add that shit up right in front of you. So you usuallyonly end up paying what you actually had.
No, restaurants can determine who had what so long as the server is competent and there is even a marginally ok software system in place.

Its really easy to split a check with only the items an individual ordered.

No, we usually tell the waitstaff how much to put on each card.

Speaking from personal experiences, when my party and I are finished with dinner and ready for the tab it means we want to get the fuck out of the restaurant as soon as possible to move on to the next fun part of the night. The extra 10 minutes that process would take isn't worth the $5 give or take added or subtracted to the total amount of each persons bill, IMO.

oooooooooooooooooooooooh no, hell no

what i should have said is that everyone pays for whatever they got

what you're saying is of course imbalanced and not at all ideal lol

Sophia

Restaurants here can usually separate the bill based on who ordered what. I've never actually split the bill down even unless someone was having money issues. :\

The wait staff usually asks if we want to pay separately, so more often than not we just pay for what we ordered.
Sometimes I'll treat friends and sometimes they'll do the same. It all evens out eventually.

No way I am going to pay for someones lobster/beer/wine because it isn't their turn to pay.

Splitting makes sense. It adopts the KISS method.

How are you "keeping it simple" if you end up splitting the bill? That's just making things more complicated.

If your friend is dick enough to always go crazy when it's your turn to cover, then I dunno, not a friend you should eat out with very often.

When I go out with my friends, it's just "I got this, you get the next one" and it doesn't really matter if I paid $10 more or $20 more for this meal because over the long run, dozens of meals, it about evens out.

Splitting feels so petty and in poor taste. Covering the bill also creates an incentive and a reason to get together again. Like "Hey man, let's go out tonight -- pay you back for that other night at the restaurant/bar/whatever"

So much this. I'm arab and it's a sign of disrespect to your friends to ask to split. We definetly take turns though.

Slavik81

It sounds annoying to have to recite your meal selection twice. Can't they just record it when you order?

That's what they do in North America.

Does anyone in here differ when it comes to drinks?

I'll always split with food, but with drinks it's just everyone taking turns buying rounds mostly.

How are you "keeping it simple" if you end up splitting the bill? That's just making things more complicated.

If your friend is dick enough to always go crazy when it's your turn to cover, then I dunno, not a friend you should eat out with very often.

When I go out with my friends, it's just "I got this, you get the next one" and it doesn't really matter if I paid $10 more or $20 more for this meal because over the long run, dozens of meals, it about evens out.

Splitting feels so petty and in poor taste.
lol your hostility towards splitting is... Interesting.

Its so simple and quick to do.

lol your hostility towards splitting is... Interesting.

Its so simple and quick to do.

Food and meals are very important in Asian (and other) cultures.

It's a sign of love and friendship. A meal together is a moment of bonding.

IMO, you inject some seriously bad vibes when you ask to split the bill.

Like, "Yeah, I like you and all, but I'm too cheap to cover you for your $20 meal and I don't trust you to pay it back next time we go out."

It's kind of insulting.

Kite

My friends and I do a rotating system where one person pays for the entire group each time we eat out for lunch. I don't know if it is an asian thing, but we aren't pricks and try to screw each other over. It always comes out to around $10-12 per person. Of course if we go somewhere more expensive like Korean bbq no limit meat at $22 per then we will usually split the bill. But often someone will still try to pay for everyone. It is what friends do, and I always find a way to pay them back by covering their next coffee, energy drink or pack of cigarettes.

tl;dr split the bill when I'm with my non-asian friends, rotating system when I'm with my asian buddies.

Food and meals are very important in Asian (and other) cultures.

It's a sign of love and friendship. A meal together is a moment of bonding.

IMO, you inject some seriously bad vibes when you ask to split the bill.

Like, "Yeah, I like you and all, but I'm too cheap to cover you for your $20 meal and I don't trust you to pay it back next time we go out."

It's kind of insulting.
Well speaking from the US perspective, it is very normal and widely accepted. I don't think any of the above enters into the common thought process here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom