• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Apple will save VR gaming?

Will Apple end up saving VR?

• Yes

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • No

Votes: 217 92.3%
  • Samsung will

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Dell and HP will

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kev Kev

VR is doing fine, it doesn't need saving. It will continue to grow over time, until it eventually puts flatscreen gaming in the grave. The real question is, what will save flatscreen gaming when that happens?

Last edited:

ahtlas7

The rumors I’ve seen say Apple is making outrageously priced headsets for enterprises. Finitione: no and it’s not supposed to.

Foilz

Banned
Meta quest was doing just fine until they raised their quest 2 price. Then released a 1500 pro.

The biggest issues quest had was the lack of big AAA content steadily releasing.
There's a lot of great VR games outside of alyx, blades and sorcery and bone works. Most are being released on side quest or applab.

Crayon

Gaming will not be prominently featured. It's apple.

I want to see what they do put forth as the prime application. If they manage to do that thing they do it will mean something or other for vr in general.

SpiceRacz

At that price point

hell-naw.gif

iHaunter

Sony will, Apple doesn't even have a basic gaming library for their devices now. They sure as hell won't with their VR.

krumble

Sony will, Apple doesn't even have a basic gaming library for their devices now. They sure as hell won't with their VR.
Yes all those AAA 1st party don't vr games will save vr.. oh wait
To be fair sony invested pretty well into 1st party software for psvr1, but psvr2? They haven't demonstrated that they have big hitters coming

Last edited:
VR is doing fine, it doesn't need saving. It will continue to grow over time, until it eventually puts flatscreen gaming in the grave. The real question is, what will save flatscreen gaming when that happens?
Lol, ain’t gonna happen. That’s like saying movies will replace books. Or like saying touchscreen games on phones will replace controllers—- Except even more unlikely.
After dabbling in VR for years, it’s just a relief to sit down and play normal console games again. It’s ironic, but the nature of VR actually greatly limits what you can actually do in a game. That’s why we just have a mess of samey shovelware rather than a ton of new unique experiences…

Last edited:
Gaming will not be prominently featured. It's apple.

I want to see what they do put forth as the prime application. If they manage to do that thing they do it will mean something or other for vr in general.

It will be a game because articles imply Tim wants to copy Zuccs idea with that world's thing but better.

To be honest it doesn't seem like a very hard thing to do to make a game better than that junk.

Reports are that there is no killer app, so no, end of story

The price will kill many people alone.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It's just they are already talking about cutting the price of the thing. I want to buy a psvr2. I think what they've done with gran turismo and they're partnership with Capcom is awesome. Pavlov, moss, thumper... All look great to me.

I've never tried vr and I'm sold. But I've also never tried vr as an older life long video game player. None of my friends have units and there is no way to try this thing in the wild. I want there to be demo stations.

I'm just concerned that it'll "die" before it has a chance to really grow on ps. Having sales just be through Sony must have some advantage?
As a fellow older gamer then you'll remember being blown away when the PS1 came out and the whole Polygon revolution with Ridge Racer, RE1, Tomb Raider etc, sticking on the PSVR2 and simply being in the menu screen on Horizon puts a massive smile on my face and takes me right back to those days when games just blew you away, there's nothing outside of VR that does that, no matter how good looking the game is on a TV it just cannot compete to being inside the game, it never grows old and if you can afford the punt I'd do it regardless of how you think the platform will turn out, the thing could die tomorrow and I wouldn't care as you just can't get the type of experiences that VR brings

Griffon

The Quest 2 is already excellent as it is.

VR doesn't really need "saving", tho smaller standalone glasses will help.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Big daddy Zucc will save it with Quest 3
Unless he buy a bunch of AAA studios or pay third party AAA devs to make games I don’t see anything changing there. It’ll be Quest again with better display, lighter headset, longer battery life and it’ll have tons of shovelware you mostly play because there is no AAA games to play.

As a fellow older gamer then you'll remember being blown away when the PS1 came out and the whole Polygon revolution with Ridge Racer, RE1, Tomb Raider etc, sticking on the PSVR2 and simply being in the menu screen on Horizon puts a massive smile on my face and takes me right back to those days when games just blew you away, there's nothing outside of VR that does that, no matter how good looking the game is on a TV it just cannot compete to being inside the game, it never grows old and if you can afford the punt I'd do it regardless of how you think the platform will turn out, the thing could die tomorrow and I wouldn't care as you just can't get the type of experiences that VR brings

Anyone who still thinks we are in the early console polygon phase in VR must have missed when people were already doing that years ago.

We can't STILL be in that phase.

Mahavastu

with a price of $3000 the mass market gamer is not the target, this gamer audience is simply priced out. Apple was not even successful to establish gaming on their notebooks.
The target are most likely companies who think it is cool to have a zoom call in VR. So even IF they sell a million units as planned (which is a big IF), there wont be enough gamers.

Important for VR gaming are the cheaper, "good enough" and easy to use systems targeted to gamers, like the Quest, PSVR2 and similar priced devices. Those are cheap enough to sell larger number of units and those numbers will make it more attractive to develop games for.
There are and will be cooler and more expensive devices, where games will look better, but the number won't be large enough to develop games just for those.

LordOfChaos

It's just not in Apple's culture to care that much about gaming. They're trying now, but like, the latest AAA on the Mac is still a port of last years PC game and before that it was SoTR for too long, they're still not gaining major traction. They only seemed to fall ass backwards into it with iOS. Tim Apple is talking about it like a communication and productivity tool, so like, fancy FaceTime.

I'm still not sure how much they'll do for gaming on it. Which Apple dev could do something like a Call of the Mountain, and this is on gear that may cost 6x as much as PSVR2?

with a price of $3000 the mass market gamer is not the target, this gamer audience is simply priced out. Apple was not even successful to establish gaming on their notebooks.
The target are most likely companies who think it is cool to have a zoom call in VR. So even IF they sell a million units as planned (which is a big IF), there wont be enough gamers.

Important for VR gaming are the cheaper, "good enough" and easy to use systems targeted to gamers, like the Quest, PSVR2 and similar priced devices. Those are cheap enough to sell larger number of units and those numbers will make it more attractive to develop games for.
There are and will be cooler and more expensive devices, where games will look better, but the number won't be large enough to develop games just for those.

Meta never focused much on gamers. It may be why after the initial shot in the arm it's being abandoned at retail.

If it was just about being cheap and good enough then gamers wouldn't be leaving the platform. It sold a lot but didn't Meta themselves say everyone including gamers were abandoning it after a month?

In that case quest 2 was only successful for a year and a half.

Game consoles usually sell with 10 years of support.

You can use HTC releases to mark the generations. We are already on the 5th or 6th gen of VR.

Yeah that's quick evolution but the problem hasn't been solved in the meantime. We had two generations of vr since 2020 when Xbox and PS5 launched and a third one now just starting with PS VR2 just in three years.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it, I would also be concerned with investing into a medium whose main product lines are about to be replaced in another 9 months. The headsets have been changing faster than smartphones.

LordOfChaos

Fate loves irony.

Half Life 3 will save flatscreen gaming.

Ovek

7Member7
Do I think Apple releasing a $3,000 first gen headset is going to save VR gaming… no, no I do not.

That too, but their enough Apple fanatics that follow them like a cult to perhaps sell a few million still which could give people a false sense of success

Could Apple convince 20M fans to spend or finance $3000 for a VR unit?

That's the real question.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The first that "can go Matrix level" of VR wins. That's it. If is just a prettier version of Rift, no

Vision Pro looks very impressive as a general productivity device, like buying a nice laptop. I'd love to have one and try it out for my home office setup with virtual screens.

I do think that Apple showing showing something this seamless will help to make the average person realize AR/VR might have a place in our everyday lives, that it very well could be the next dominant interface one day for using technology instead of physical screens.

It won't have much impact on the gaming side for now, though. Quest 3 seems more interesting there.

Already is.

Resident Evil in VR > RE flat
GT7 VR > GT7 flat
first person shooters in VR > fps flat

Not saying it works for every genre (or that it's been done for every genre), but I can't think of a single game that has both and doesn't have me preferring the VR mode.

And replaying classics in VR totally transforms them, like you're going inside the game's world for the first time. I recently finished Half Life 2 in full VR thanks to the great mod, and it was amazing... simply impossible to imagine every playing it on a screen again.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Based on the presentation yesterday, Apple really has no interest in VR. They're also not releasing a controller like the other headsets, althouugh their hand tracking looks really advanced. So we don't know what VR in this will look like.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I see no evidence that they have any interest in VR gaming. They didn't even say the word VR in their presentation and avoided showing a single VR game or true VR application.

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
We will get glorified mobile games and "interactive" movies and thats it. There won't be many skill-based VR games until Ready Player One becomes a reality.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
no. they dont need to. Apple doesnt target gamers. Why target people who cry over MTX, when their entire apple store is built off games with microtransactions.

Top Bottom