• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think SEGA will remaster Skies of Arcadia after they release Project Sakura Wars?

Eternal Arcadia was a fantastic game. Been a few years since I last played it but loved it to death since it came out. It is actually my grandfather's favorite RPG and he keeps a Dreamcast hooked up to this day to replay it. Never played the GameCube version of it though. I keep my Dreamcast stored carefully in case his ever stops working (emergency!). A remaster on a newer platform would be a great relief.
That's really cool. I didn't think an older generation would be into the game but it has a lot of great story moments and I've always felt it stood out in a good way and that more people should play it.

Bodom78

One of th nfew games I never got to play when I owned a Dreamcast.

People speak fondly of it and I would love to try it if it does get a remaster.

Kazza

220px-OasisDefinitelyMaybealbumcover.jpg

goldenpp72

It will likely never happen. They were working on it on 360/ps3 and shelved it. All I'd want is the gamecube game with the Dreamcast music in HD :(

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I think a remake would be more likely than a remaster at this point, and I think a sequel is much more likely than a remake.
It's been 20 years...
A remake is the priority (to reach a new fanbase) and then a sequel reusing similar assets to limit the costs

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I know a remaster was once considered, given it was a frequently requested re-release like Shenmue, although that was 7 years ago and we haven't heard anything since. Tetsuya Otsubo, who directed the enhanced GameCube port of Skies of Arcadia, is currently directing Project Sakura Wars which is scheduled to release later this year. But afterwards, do you think SEGA will remaster Skies of Arcadia?

I just think more people should be able to play the original without paying a collector's price. When I purchased Skies of Arcadia Legends (the enhanced GameCube port that featured bonus content and a lower random encounter rate) nearly a decade ago, it was $60 dollars used. Now it's closer to $100. That's why it's hard to recommend other people play it because as much as it made me smile from ear to ear, I know others will probably see it more as a solid 8/10 whereas it's my all-time favorite game.

UPDATE:

Kenji Hiruta, map system programmer for Skies of Arcadia, on Twitter.

UPDATE 2:

Just recently played thought this game again. By far my favorite JRPG. I would love a remake or better yet a good successor.

Fat Frog

I think an HD port of the GameCube version is possible. A Console/Steam release at $29.99 would move a profitable number of copies due to word of mouth.
30 bucks is far too expensive for a remaster of a dreamcast game. (except if it brings amazing features which i doubt).

10 bucks for a good remaster.
20 for a basic remake.
50/60 for a Sakura like remake.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Last edited:

Fat Frog

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
30 bucks is far too expensive for a remaster of a dreamcast game. (except if it brings amazing features which i doubt).

10 bucks for a good remaster.
20 for a basic remake.
50/60 for a Sakura like remake.

In a world where a port of an hour long Saturn game is selling apparently well for $25?

Full disclosure I bought Panzer Dragoon Remake on Switch at that price largely to through money at the franchise in hopes of getting full on remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga as I never had a Saturn at that’s the one game I’ve always wanted to play.

lachesis

The biggest problem for Skies of Arcadia... is that it's deemed as a failed project by themselves. I remember seeing a interview of Reiko Kodama (producer) talking about it too.
I really hope they'll consider making Skies of Arcadia remake with upgraded visuals and all.
The game was a true gem - that it really felt like I'm on an adventure like no other games before. I can't really nail it down why it felt so special compared to other RPGs like Final Fantasy - perhaps it's the air ship journey itself was quite eventful.... seeing some new island far ahead made me feel like I really did find something quite new.

Fat Frog

Oh sorry, I misunderstood you.
Or maybe my english level is fucking pathetic, BURP, hu hu hu.

Moogle11 Moogle11
Yup but Panzer Remake is... well a remake not a remaster.
That's why I think 20 bucks for a budget remake is fine. 30 dollars for a remaster is far too much. That's probably why Shenmue HD is a failure on PC. 30 bucks for an ugly collection and on the other hands Kiwami remakes for 20 dollars, the choice is easy for the master race :) (i know the games are not exactly the same but for them it's just angry asians plots ;)

Yakuza Kiwami at 20 bucks = right price
Shenmue/Skies of Arcadia HD at 30 bucks = 3 copies sold at full price

The biggest problem for Skies of Arcadia... is that it's deemed as a failed project by themselves. I remember seeing a interview of Reiko Kodama (producer) talking about it too.
I really hope they'll consider making Skies of Arcadia remake with upgraded visuals and all.
The game was a true gem - that it really felt like I'm on an adventure like no other games before. I can't really nail it down why it felt so special compared to other RPGs like Final Fantasy - perhaps it's the air ship journey itself was quite eventful.... seeing some new island far ahead made me feel like I really did find something quite new.
It really was because the adventure felt so grand and optimistic. Making discoveries was one of the really unique things about Skies of Arcadia too.

Top Bottom