• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler Warning: Hollywood Reporter review over-describes the post credits sequences and that basically gives away what happens in them if you've paid attention to the rumors around the film.

“Doctor Strange” is Marvel’s most satisfying entry since “Spider-Man 2,” and a throwback to M. Night Shyamalan’s soul-searching identity-crisis epic “Unbreakable,” which remains the gold standard for thinking people’s superhero movies.
Peter Debruge, Variety

Doctor Strange is an engaging, smartly cast and sporadically eye-popping addition to the studio's bulging portfolio. Determined, among other things, to top Christopher Nolan at his own game when it comes to folding, bending and upending famous cityscapes to eye-popping effect, this action movie ostensibly rooted in the mind-expanding tenets of Eastern mysticism is different enough to establish a solid niche alongside the blockbuster combine's established money machines.
Todd McCarthy, The Hollywood Reporter

In a year where bloated, empty spectacles have induced a crushing level of CG fatigue — Now Showing: ‘Alice Through the Warcraft Suicide Apocalypse Justice’ — this funny, freaky adventure reminds us of how effective VFX can be when they’ve got some imagination behind them.
Alonso Duralde, The Wrap

Films like “Guardians of the Galaxy” only feel like such risky high-wire acts because the safety nets have been so cleverly hidden just out of sight. That holds true for much of “Doctor Strange” as well. And yet, it’s one thing to take a new world and make it feel familiar, and quite another to take a familiar word and show us new ways of looking at it. This is the first chapter of the MCU that accomplishes that second, more difficult, more thrilling task, and that bodes well for a better, stranger tomorrow for the MCU.
Davkd Ehrlich, IndieWire

A kaleidoscope of weirdness and innovative visual effects successfully introduce the newest Marvel superhero in director/co-writer Scott Derrickson’s brilliantly bizarre Doctor Strange. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Stephen Strange with enchanting spirit and a clever wit, giving comic-book movies another goateed icon who can hang alongside Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark.
Brian Truitt, USA Today

Swinton is effortlessly excellent in her role—one that was gender-flipped, in a progressive move for strong female representation in the genre, at least—and her arc, too, focuses instead on more simple universal binaries: Life vs. death, shadows vs. light, good vs. evil, the kind of yin and yang terrain that dials right into the major currents of Strange’s origin tale. As a contained standalone this is the most inventive Marvel has allowed its movies to get so far, which is a positive indication for new freshness as Phase 3 rolls out.
Jen Yamato, The Daily Beast

Doctor Strange is easily the studio’s most exciting spectacle to date. Its hero, a former surgeon turned butt-kicking wizard, spends a fair amount of time exploring the multiverse, in sequences rendered with loads of bizarre, lysergic imagery. That’s the good news. The bad news is the studio’s most innovative visuals are wedded to one of its most formulaic origin stories. In some scenes, Doctor Strange is Marvel’s most exciting movie yet. In others, it might be its most boring movie since Iron Man 2.
Matt Singer, Screen Crush

Rotten Tomatoes: Currently 90% with a 7.3 average rating at 222 reviews
Critics Consensus: Doctor Strange artfully balances its outré source material against the blockbuster constraints of the MCU, delivering a thoroughly entertaining superhero origin story in the bargain.

Thanks to Cuburt for rounding these up in the OT.

tumblr_o57t2yXrXv1qewsw4o2_500.gif

What about GAFER Korey?

"This is the best movie since Gone With the Wind. The actors nail their roles, the tension is thick throughout and the SFX are unparalleled. There is no better movie.

I give this movie a D+"

Ultima_5

seems positive but isn't it not out for a few weeks still?

i assumed it would be solid since it looks like a bunch of scenes from the matrix

Hystzen

In some scenes, Doctor Strange is Marvel’s most exciting movie yet. In others, it might be its most boring movie since Iron Man 2.

Jesus thankfully it not Thor 2

That doesn't sound great without its whacky visuals it's dull going be interesting read more reactions once hype settles down

I want to know why the US is being treated like a second class citizen with this movie

UK should have to wait until December like they normally do dammit

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I bought my Imax tickets for the 5th yesterday...... After reading these reviews I feel like I made the right decision.

I'm a big Marvel fan (comics and films) and have had faith in all the films before this including GOTG and Ant-Man but this one from the first teaser I thought might not work. I've been very skeptical about it but the clips I've seen in the past couple of weeks and these reviews are raising my expectations, looks like I was wrong.

Henkka

Banned
I'm a big Marvel fan (comics and films) and have had faith in all the films before this including GOTG and Ant-Man but this one from the first teaser I thought might not work. I've been very skeptical about it but the clips I've seen in the past couple of weeks and these reviews are raising my expectations, looks like I was wrong.

Why, though? It's basically Iron Man/Batman Begins with magic.

My only worry is that they don't explain anything about how the magic stuff works... Imo, it's hard to be excited by magical fights when you have no clue wtf is happening or what the rules are.

Anth0ny

“Doctor Strange” is Marvel’s most satisfying entry since “Spider-Man 2,” and a throwback to M. Night Shyamalan’s soul-searching identity-crisis epic “Unbreakable,” which remains the gold standard for thinking people’s superhero movies.

oh christ give me a break

Why, though? It's basically Iron Man/Batman Begins with magic.

My only worry is that they don't explain anything about how the magic stuff works... Imo, it's hard to be excited by magical fights when you have no clue wtf is happening or what the rules are.

Midiflorians are what give a sorcerer his power.

Warning: THR review over-describes the post credits sequences and that basically gives away what happens in them if you've paid attention to the rumors around the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom