• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone actually know what THE METAVERSE actually is?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Something like this.
y44iZux.gif

I have no idea why anyone would be excited for this.

All it seeks to do is to disconnect you from the real world, to distract you from what's really happening behind the scenes.

While you're busy in the digital space, you can bet your ass the 1% will inevitably find ways to screw you over.

Larxia

It's one of the current trendy things I don't understand.
Everything I've seen about "metaverse" just seems to be some VR Chat clone, but actually worse because it will all be based on micro transaction instead of modding freedom. I guess it's actually closer to a Playstation Home clone, nothing new.

The same way I don't understand how it's new for NFT in games to provide limited / uniques items, that's already possible in mmos and such if it's something implemented into the game, no need for "NFT".

Last edited:

FireFly

Imagine an Xbox Live party with a "physical" lobby in VR, where you meet your friends and transition to various games, which integrate via a "MetaVerse" API.

Wildebeest

The thing is that there is a huge amount of investment cash floating around waiting for the next big tech investment. Simple truth is that there is no real big tech investment. Innovation has stalled for whatever reason, possibly the distorting effect of market based funding itself. But that money has to go somewhere, so they hype up tech investments trends that are absolute dead end nothings like the NFT market or metaverse. It is basically rich people getting high on the smell of their own farts.

Is it what I see when I put on my Meta Quest 2 virtual reality headset?
Basically. Put on your headset and it loads you into your apartment.

MetaVerse means you then walk outside your apartment and go to work or go shopping. There will be multiple MetaVerses. It'll never be 100% consolidated.

Just going through todays news brings up a bunch of mentions of THE METaVERSE as if it were something we should all be familiar with and know what it means. This is straight from Nutella and Bobby K too. I thought it was weird when Zuckerberg was talking about it a few months ago but now it seems like it will actually manifest when the CEO of microsoft is talking about it in the same breath as spending 70billion dollars. I am on gaming sites every day and have never seen someone coherently explain what the metaverse even is.

Feels like gaming is entering a golden era of cringe with NFTs and the metaverse.

a9f227594f9ffc4079a5f05554a13e837f2984b4ed7b4980ec7842252483034c_1.jpg

rolandss

It’s some kind of lame VR second life matrix where Zuckerberg wants you to spend real time and real money buying fake assets and fake things so he can continue to amass great piles of unused wealth and enjoy real life on his real island compound in real Hawaii. But I look forward to stories in the future of people paying millions for digital real estate and all this kind of stupid bullshit.

MrSec84

If you've seen Ready Player One, that's a Metaverse.

The definition is this:
"A virtual-reality space in which users can interact with a computer-generated environment and other users."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Metaverse was a term coined and used by early cyberpunk sci-fi novels, which is basically the term of a virtual world people live in.

Gaming folks, like John Carmack and Michael Abrash, have been working towards it for years. In fact, John Carmack got Abrash to help on the original Quake engine by explaining that true real-time 3D rendering was required for the metaverse. This convinced Abrash that it was worth working on. Carmack eventually moved over to Oculus, leaving id Software, because his VR work would speed the metaverse.

What we're seeing now is what those cyberpunk authours wrote about coming true: a virtual world, owned by corporations, that people chose to live in over the real world. Working, living, and having fun all inside the VR nightmare world owned by Facebook, Microsoft, and Google.

Internet addiction taken to the next level, your whole life inside of it, you work, socialize, purchase in the virtual world, no need to get out, perfect for companies, the consumer only gets fatter and dumber.

It's a platform that unites social media with gaming, movies, shows, and VR, funded by the sales of digital items with playform-specific virtual limited scarcity.

think of how smartphones changed the world. the whole world at your finger tips. hooked on social media. apps for everything.

imagine that strapped to your face. tech companies don't want you having a 6" window to look at the internet anymore. they want you to be in the internet so will sell you headsets.

you will still see the real world but augmented. all sorts of info will constantly flash in front of your eyes. more distractions and much harder to avoid. walls, sides of buildings, and even the sky will be filled with info from your streams and of course advertisements too.

then there will be virtual reality. people will have avatars. if you can't physically be with someone then your avatar will take over. got a work meeting? you might be sitting alone in your bedroom but your avatar will be in a virtual space interacting with others. want to watch a movie with friends? all your avatars could join a room and watch it together.

there will be games and lots of shit to buy. VR Chat is probably the closest thing to it right now. it'll be like playstation home or second life too. it's a virtual world that companies want you to escape into. they want full control over your entire life. they will do all they can to get you addicted. it will be an escape from reality.

i can't say i'm looking forward to it. the world is gonna become a much more awful place if everyone falls for it.

These guys get it! The only thing I'll say ask is.......why are all of yall so down on THE METAVERSE?! It's just a virtual world. We here on GAF have been discussing things and talking to each other for a decade (or more). It's just social media, but virtualized.

DaGwaphics

VR chat people come close. Furries mostly.

I can definitely see some benefits for work environments, maybe work from home type things and obviously VR gaming and that kind of thing. But than you see weird stuff like shopping simulators, eh, I can shop online as it is, I don't need to pretend I'm in the store. Though I guess being able to look at a product in 3d would be cool.

Just going through todays news brings up a bunch of mentions of THE METaVERSE as if it were something we should all be familiar with and know what it means. This is straight from Nutella and Bobby K too. I thought it was weird when Zuckerberg was talking about it a few months ago but now it seems like it will actually manifest when the CEO of microsoft is talking about it in the same breath as spending 70billion dollars. I am on gaming sites every day and have never seen someone coherently explain what the metaverse even is.

Feels like gaming is entering a golden era of cringe with NFTs and the metaverse.

In short its the stuff IOI from Ready Player One was dreaming about.

Making you hostage of an AR/VR World where every service is connected and the companies owning those services are taking all of your data and money and stuffing unlimited advertisements down your throat and expecting you to praise them for it.

Last edited:
I can definitely see some benefits for work environments, maybe work from home type things and obviously VR gaming and that kind of thing. But than you see weird stuff like shopping simulators, eh, I can shop online as it is, I don't need to pretend I'm in the store. Though I guess being able to look at a product in 3d would be cool.
Yeah, it's certainly neat but non of it seems practical. I still get eye fatigue after about an hour in VR. I could see some casuals getting into stuff like shopping or whatever. They could make a virtual mall that looks like an insanely cool space station with 100 ft roller coasters and stuff. Digital fantasy tourism has some appeal. You could go shopping in a Cyberpunk world.

Last edited:

Fbh

As I understand it, it sounds like a way to integrate the Internet and social media experience into VR.

Instead of having a work meeting over zoom you meet in a virtual place as you talk to (ps2 looking) avatars of your coworkers.
Instead of having your friends over to watch a movie you meet in a virtual living room or theater
Instead of going to window shop at the mall or on a site, you do so in a virtual store (and stuff gets delivered to you)
etc

Last edited:

Diddy X

They are independant still but it makes sense that the decisions they take now have to take into account that they will be owned by Microsoft in 1 year.

Data Ghost

The Metaverse is nothing but a pipe dream/vapourware at the moment. It's an idea. What Meta aren't taking into account is that FB only got to where it is today because its 'free'. Meaning chavs and work shy knuckle draggers can pile on there and post rubbish without using up valuable fags and booze cash.

If the Metaverse is accessed via a headset, that rules out the majority of FB users, even if the headsets were sold at a loss. Plus the headsets wouldn't last long until they were smashed up or sold for crack.

Wonko_C

The most apt description I've heard is: "The metaverse is just the internet, but in 3D". It's supposed to let us do what the current internet does, but we will interact with it like we were in the real world. Not with cursors and menus on a screen, gone will be the URL system we use now.

BigBooper

Almost entirely just marketing buzzword bs, but it also sometimes means different things.

The VR stuff seems to be part of it, where everyone can slug out at home while using their vube lube tube to go on a virtual date as hot models.

Also though, I think it's referring to the idea of further connecting everyday life with commerce and the internet of things. Like IPhones being able to take credit card payments directly and wearing devices and watches to monitor everything and give you service based on that like watches that call the police if you're in trouble.

Top Bottom