• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Anyone Here Hold Controllers In Weird Ways?

Kazza

This video of a Japanese girl got me thinking:

It looks pretty weird, but apparently she didn't know how she was supposed to hold it. It's hard to believe that any beginner would start off using a pad like this, seeing that you can't even see which buttons you are pressing this way around.

I once had a friend who would use the 3 button Megadrive controller by having his right thumb holding the back and three of his fingers hovering over all three buttons. I also tried to get my dad to play Call of Duty on the Wii using the Wii mote - that didn't go well! I suppose controllers are a pretty abstract concept when you think about it. Most of us were probably too young when we first picked one up to remember that initial awkwardness.

I noticed a few people in the Yakuza Zero Steam reviews complaining about the mouse and keyboard controls. Using a mouse and keyboard with that kind of a game seems insane to me. Then again, I admit that I have never even played an FPS using a mouse and keyboard before, but I know people swear by it (although I obviously use mouse and keyboard for PC strategy games).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I seriously doubt that the girl in op is using this as a standard way to play games, because she would have to mirror all stick input.

The father of a friend of mine used the N64 controller by using the outer grips and reaching to the analog stick Dual Shock style, that's the weirdest I can think of. He even played through Zelda OoT successfully this way. But he did not manage with Majora's Mask.

Kazza

I seriously doubt that the girl in op is using this as a standard way to play games, because she would have to mirror all stick input.

The father of a friend of mine used the N64 controller by using the outer grips and reaching to the analog stick Dual Shock style, that's the weirdest I can think of. He even played through Zelda OoT successfully this way. But he did not manage with Majora's Mask.

I think a lot of people did this with the N64 controller back then.

Rockondevil

No fucking way is that legit.
Closet I have seen is a friend that does the "claw" grip which apparently isn't even that uncommon.
tL6Na67.jpg

(Not actually my friends hands)

ljubomir

I once had a friend who would use the 3 button Megadrive controller by having his right thumb holding the back and three of his fingers hovering over all three buttons.

That's how I play on all two and three button controllers. Sometimes even dual shock i.e. when playing tekken.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Closet I have seen is a friend that does the "claw" grip which apparently isn't even that uncommon.
tL6Na67.jpg

Ugh, those nails.

But I do this with my right hand when a game is requiring me to use the face buttons constantly, but I also want to move the free camera, and enjoy the views.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Interesting photo from this 1988 interview with the engineers of the Megadrive/Genesis:

MD-Debut-Image-11.jpg

The caption reads:
I'm also holding the controller upside down whenever I'm playing fighting games against someone where there is a big skill difference and there are no handicap options.

The problem is, after a few rounds i adapt to it and I still win.
Now the best strategy to balance the skill level for fighting games is to not play them. Usually I complete whatever single player story they might have and leave them.
If I go online, I get murdered, and if I put effort to train my self I murder my couch friends.

Ailike

My brother held NES controllers 'upside down'. Rather than use thumbs on dpad and buttons, he used his index and middle fingers on the dpad and buttons.
UX3dv6u.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My brother held NES controllers 'upside down'. Rather than use thumbs on dpad and buttons, he used his index and middle fingers on the dpad and buttons.
UX3dv6u.jpg
Back then, one of my bros didn't even hold the NES controller. Probably because it was too small.

He'd lie the NES controller on a flat surface and use the d-pad and buttons like he's typing on a keyboard.

Kind of similar to your pic, but have the controller flat on the black surface with no thumb action.

Last edited:
i can make a video like that and pretend its working. but wait am not showing the screen. so its not working. betcha that was upvoted by 200K weebs.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I use my fingers like an arcade stick when I play fighting games, mainly with my right hand. I once called it a “spider style”, but it’s a lot of fun with games like Tekken. Inputs are much easier. I heard the style OP showed off is “ AC “ style or for Armored Core.

this grip style is called densetsu no AC mochi (伝説のAC持ち) or “legendary Armored Core grip.

Last edited:
I used to use my middle and forefinger of my left hand on the d-pad and middle and forefinger of my right hand for B & A on the NES controller.

Absolutely GOAT way of playing SMB!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
AC mochi isn't anything new. I play with joycons with my arms crossed perfectly. I actually play shooters better this way. (Resident Evil Rev)

Ailike

I used to use my middle and forefinger of my left hand on the d-pad and middle and forefinger of my right hand for B & A on the NES controller.

Absolutely GOAT way of playing SMB!
I absolutely believe its better for reaction times and button... fluttering? But I just cant make my brain invert the xy-ness of it. You have a gift, friend.

Mista

Banned
Im curious do you feel that paddles make claw obsolete for competitive play?
Not really, it just depends on the game and it’s controls layout. For example let’s say Gears, it’s hard holding the controller regularly and keep pressing A for wall-bouncing while moving the right analog. So the claw here makes me comfy so I can hit A with my index finger and control the right analog at the same time.

SonGoku

it’s hard holding the controller regularly and keep pressing A for wall-bouncing while moving the right analog. So the claw here makes me comfy so I can hit A with my index finger and control the right analog at the same time.
wouldn't a paddle solve this while being more comfortable?

Mista

Banned
wouldn't a paddle solve this while being more comfortable?
True. Tried the Elite and the controller was comfy but unfortunately the quality is garbage. My bumpers went flying off

But yes, paddles solves this and with it I don’t claw. Was going to go for a scuf but hesitated

SonGoku

True. Tried the Elite and the controller was comfy but unfortunately the quality is garbage. My bumpers went flying off

But yes, paddles solves this and with it I don’t claw. Was going to go for a scuf but hesitated
feelsbadman i wish both Sony/MS step up their paddle game next gen

Three

But why would mirroring stick movement be nonstandard for her? People invert Y already. when you look left and right it would be like turning the persons head to point in the opposite direction the player is much like you do now.

I've seen people hold controllers the way she does in the picture. They use to do this for specific games though and they were damn good at it.

Stimpak

Not really, it just depends on the game and it’s controls layout. For example let’s say Gears, it’s hard holding the controller regularly and keep pressing A for wall-bouncing while moving the right analog. So the claw here makes me comfy so I can hit A with my index finger and control the right analog at the same time.

mnnwBo8.gif

Weilthain

Banned
My friend holds a pad in such a way he doesn’t use his thumbs, only fingers even for the sticks.

He is blind with very limited sight so I don’t give him shit for it.

tL6Na67.jpg

A lot pro cod players play claw. During the jet pack games this was so important and awesome to watch them play like that. (although left thumb still on stick, not on dpad) Look up some yt vids, a good time.

Last edited:
My brother didn't play games much so when he started he use to hold the left thumb with both his thumb and index. Was kinda weird.

Secret REZ Vibrator Controller thread. :LOL:

But I guess I used the EyeToy once with my face to lick the bird poo from the Cleaning Windows Minigame as it was funny.

Dthomp

Probably not as crazy as I thought as a youth, but I had a friend back in high school who would hold a genesis contoller normal with his left hand but would then have his three middle fingers all on the face buttons, it seemed odd to me.

Orenji Neko

Controllers? Nah, but when Monster Hunter was only on PSP and 3DS, I held those things in unfortunate positions. To my hands: I am sorry.

Shantae

Banned
FZUTGzv.jpg

Not the I play N64 games anymore really, but I was one of the people who I guess always held the N64 controller the "wrong" way. I guess it felt comfortable to me because I always had big hands/long fingers.

Last edited:

Forsythia

FZUTGzv.jpg

Not the I play N64 games anymore really, but I was one of the people who I guess always held the N64 controller the "wrong" way. I guess it felt comfortable to me because I always had big hands/long fingers.

What is the right way to hold the controller? I've only played for maybe five minutes at a demo station years back so I have no clue.

And the claw is ridiculous, we're human, not crabs! 😂

Shantae

Banned
What is the right way to hold the controller? I've only played for maybe five minutes at a demo station years back so I have no clue.

And the claw is ridiculous, we're human, not crabs! 😂
I've seen a lot of people adamant that this is the "right" way to hold the controller, and that people like me are insane for how I did it.
220px-N64-Controller-in-Hand.jpg

Top Bottom