• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Gears of War: Judgement really ship with only 4 competitive MP maps?

DEADEVIL

There seems to be a lot of misinformation and confusion in the Gears of War: Judgement review thread so I thought it was fair that the issue deserved some clarification.

The misinformation seemed to begin with the tweet from Jeff Gerstmann when he said that he was 'shocked' that there were only 4 competitive multiplayer maps.

This led to him claiming the price of the game should be $40 and that the Season Pass DLC felt 'slimy' in the same set of tweets.

The facts is not only does Judgement ship with 8 competitive multiplayer maps, the package is fairly comparable to what Gears of War 3 offered.

Here are the facts:

- Gears of War 3 shipped with 10 multiplayer maps

Checkout • Drydock • Gridlock • Hotel • Mercy • Old Town • Overpass • Sandbar • Thrashball • Trenches

- The Competitive multiplayer modes in GeOW3 consisted of Warzone, Execution, King of the hill, Wingman, Capture the Leader, and Team Deathmatch.

- The Cooperative Multiplayer modes in GeOW3 consisted of two modes Horde and Beast mode (Horde could be played on all maps)

Gears of War: Judgment ships with 8 multiplayer maps

Estate • Gondola • Island • Junkyard • Library • Rig • Skyline • Streets

- Two free maps (Haven and Capitol) can be downloaded for free on April 2nd.

For those keeping count there is a total of 10 multiplayer maps
without spending one dime on DLC or Season passes.

- People Can Fly's Gears of War Judgment is unlike previous games in the franchise as the game does NOT include the cooperative modes of Horde/Beast (EDIT: Horde has been renamed Survival) ; meaning EVERY map in the game is used for Competitive Multiplayer.

Again to reiterate, Judgement every map utilizes the Competitive multiplayer modes. (Updated)
- The Competitive modes in Judgement consist of OverRun, Tam Deathmatch, Free-for-all, an Domination.

Additionally, Execution mode will return on the 2nd of April as well.

- The 2 DLC packs include 3 more maps a piece, which brings the entire collection to a total of 16 competitive multiplayer maps.

Summary.

8 shipped competitive multiplayer maps shipping with the game. 2 free maps (April 2). 16 total to include the two succeeding DLC packs.

Anyone saying that there are only 4 maps with the game are smply not telling the truth.

Gears of War: Judgment Multiplayer Modes:

•OverRun: OverRun marks the first time that class-based competitive multiplayer has been introduced into the “Gears of War” series. Think of it as a combination of the popular Beast and Horde modes pitted against each other. OverRun is a 5v5 attack/defend game type, where the COG are always defending, and the Locust are attacking… and you have an opportunity to play both as attacker and defender to determine the winning team.

•Team Deathmatch: In this returning fan-favourite, two teams of five players start with a shared pool of respawns. The goal is to take out your opponents and deplete their respawns before your own pool is gone. Perfect for “Gears” veterans and new recruits alike, Team Deathmatch has everyone battling to be the last squad standing.

•Free-For-All: Free-For-All is an “every player for themselves” Deathmatch mode. No teams mean shoot anything that moves. The perfect mode for relieving some stress.

•Domination: Domination is a 5v5 team based competitive multiplayer mode. Teams will compete over three rings placed throughout the map. Control the ring to earn points; the first team to 250 points wins the match.

ALL are Competitive modes,to include Execution, which has always been known as such.

Footage of Overrun Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_3eBpv6EQ

Update

Although all of the maps are used for competitive co-op I missed the new version of Horde mode called Survival.

Survival Gameplay footagehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doie6-Og4Js

Darklord

Banned
Gears 3: 8 MP modes. 10 maps at the start. 10 maps split between ???(someone answer this please)

Gears: Judge: 4 MP modes. 8 maps at the start split into two groups of 4 maps.

Still seems like slim pickings.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't even play this series and I know that people want more than 4 TDM maps. TDM, not whatever else.

see5harp

No, it ships with 4 maps specifically tailored for old school team deathmatch. In any case, it's a gamefly rental until I get an idea whether i like Gears made accessible for the masses.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Why split them so that only certain maps can be played for certain modes? Has this always been the case? (i lost interest in gears after the 2nd one, so am well behind on how the Mp functions)

I really wish that I cared about Judgement coming out, sadly I do not. I purchased the first three and the first two I liked a lot. The third one left a sour taste in my mouth when they promised dedicated servers and that only lasted a month maybe two at most. I will not be fooled again.

tomh8gearsjgcjni.gif

see5harp

Why split them so that only certain maps can be played for certain modes? Has this always been the case? (i lost interest in gears after the 2nd one, so am well behind on how the Mp functions)

They split them because some maps would really just be really garbage for team deathmatch. The number of maps do not bother me nearly as much as the changes to controls and stuff like quick grenade throw.

Derrick01

Banned
four team deathmatch maps
4 team deathmatch maps
IV team deathmatch maps

Yup. I admire yet another damage control attempt for a MS game/console/policy but this is what it boils down to. The most commonly played mode in most MP games only has 4 maps.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
They split them because some maps would really just be really garbage for team deathmatch. The number of maps do not bother me nearly as much as the changes to controls and stuff like quick grenade throw.

Okay, which leads to my next question...why not just create maps that work for the vast majority (read ALL) modes in game like most 1st and 3rd person shooters? Or am i missing some philosophy unique to Gears?

see5harp

Yup. I admire yet another damage control attempt for a MS game/console/policy but this is what it boils down to. The most commonly played mode in most MP games only has 4 maps.

Why do you even comment on a game you don't plan on buying for a system you don't own for a multiplayer mode that you wouldn't even try?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Why do you even comment on a game you don't plan on buying for a system you don't own for a multiplayer mode that you wouldn't even try?

Must our receipts be checked before we're allowed to post about a certain game on this board?

Derrick01

Banned

Damn I forgot that rule. Guess I'll be going to jail with everyone else for laughing about that whole SimCity deal too.

see5harp

Okay, which leads to my next question...why not just create maps that work for the vast majority (read ALL) modes in game like most 1st and 3rd person shooters? Or am i missing some philosophy unique to Gears?

Ideally they should have just scaled levels or created variations to account for different modes. But they didn't. Anyone who has ever seen Jeff play gears multiplayer should take his opinion with a grain a salt. I do not view multiplayer as a series of checkmarks like number of maps/modes/etc. I don't even consider any review of multiplayer from any press outlet to be worth a damn at this point. No one knows about balance, map design until they play for hours. Do you think any of these lazy fucks plays more than a handful of games before giving a score?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
four team deathmatch maps
4 team deathmatch maps
IV team deathmatch maps

yep, Gears 3 had 10 maps that could be played in all modes.

4 TDM maps is disgraceful for a $60 game. It somehow got worse though when they started asking people to "pre-order" the season pass for an additional $20. fuuucccckkkk you.

see5harp

Must our receipts be checked before we're allowed to post about a certain game on this board?

I have no problem with people posting sensible crticisms to the way they designed the maps in this game. I understand that a good number of people (most, in fact), played more coop and horde in gears 2 and 3. The complaints should be about how they are trying to make a more accessible game and widen the appeal. Of course, to make those statements you have to actually have played the games online, which I highly doubt guys driving by with "MS apologists lol" has done.

...is he incorrect about the number of TDM maps?

No. But the premise of the post is not to dismiss that fact. It's to point out that there are maps made to play specific modes, which total more than 4. TDM as an idea was already a negative change to the original formula of execution.

quickwhips

I have no problem with people posting sensible crticisms to the way they designed the maps in this game. I understand that a good number of people (most, in fact), played more coop and horde in gears 2 and 3. The complaints should be about how they are trying to make a more accessible game and widen the appeal. Of course, to make those statements you have to actually have played the games online, which I highly doubt guys driving by with "MS apologists lol" has done.

I agree with you. I know more people who have played the overrun demo who are now buying the game that would have never bought it since they hated gears 3.

well hopefully Epic/MS leans from this decision and realizes that the game is getting lower scores and less pre-orders because of the map count. either that will happen of the next game will ship with two maps and have 1 free map sponsored by FoxNews.

EDIT: I just noticed that the OP doesn't mention the Survival Gametype. it's the new Horde mode and it will share the 4 OverRun maps.

DEADEVIL

well hopefully Epic/MS leans from this decision and realizes that the game is getting lower scores and less pre-orders because of the map count. either that will happen of the next game will ship with two maps and have 1 free map sponsored by FoxNews.

EDIT: I just noticed that the OP doesn't mention the Survival Gametype. it's the new Horde mode and it will share the 4 OverRun maps.

Yup. Completely forgot from the Live reveal. Nice catch Maxcer!

My bad. I didn't even add Survival which was the modified Horde mode. Hopefully one of the mods will let me add Survival to the list.

Survival Gameplay for anyone who wants to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doie6-Og4Js

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Shipping with 4 TDM maps is pretty pathetic, it could have 20 other maps for other modes, but only 4 TDM on the disc day 1 was just a terrible idea, especially these days and when you have a back catalog of games in a series that had more for what is no doubt one of the most popular things to do. Is there some special reason why they haven't done what most games do these days and just share those other 4 maps or change them slightly so they can be used for all modes, or had it just come down to a time thing?

Yup. Completely forgot from the Live reveal. Nice catch Maxcer!

My bad. I didn't even add Survival which was the modified Horde mode. Hopefully one of the mods will let me add Survival to the list.

Survival Gameplay for anyone who wants to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doie6-Og4Js

So a horde like mode but with a wave limit of 10? sounds a bit lame comparatively tbh.

You know, people always complain that multiplayer shooters don't innovate enough, then Judgement comes along with a fairly interesting unique new mode with Overrun, and people's reaction is "Nope 4 maps TDM is all that matters."

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think there should be more TDM maps too (at least 2 free ones are coming in only two weeks) but....just an observation.

DEADEVIL

You know, people always complain that multiplayer shooters don't innovate enough, then Judgement comes along with a fairly interesting unique new mode with Overrun, and people's reaction is "Nope 4 maps TDM is all that matters."

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think there should be more TDM maps too (at least 2 free ones are coming in only two weeks) but....just an observation.

Agreed. The best part is the fact that it was never about TDM in the first place.

Gears fans got a full 4 player co-op campaign with the declassification mission, a new take on Multiplayer, and we finally get Free-for-all for the first time.

Either way, Gears will be the best multiplayer game leading into
E3.

No Horde? I generally don't play online, but the exception is Gears. When 2 and 3 came out I subscribed to Gold for a month or two and had a blast with Horde mode. Don't think I ever even finished GOW 3's campaign...

Top Bottom