• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the PS3 power supply work for PS4?

My brother is on vacation and I can borrow his PS4 but under the only condition that I find a power cable of my own, because he has his PS4 cable tucked away real neat and everything. I have the cable from my fat PS3 here. Is this going to work?

If so, great. So I can get to Uncharted 4 and probably finish it before he comes back too.

Finnroth

Unless the Fat uses a different one than the slim, it certainly does (I currently have only one and am switching when needed).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It uses a standard figure 8 style power cable. You can probably find one for a few bucks at the hardware/electronics store.

Goddamn now that sucks. So either I am gonna have to find a cable like that in my house, it is possible that some other device that I have works for PS4, right? Or I need to find a cheap one online.

I'll echo, fat no, slim yes.

Goddamn now that sucks. So either I am gonna have to find a cable like that in my house, it is possible that some other device that I have works for PS4, right? Or I need to find a cheap one online.

Offer to put the cable back how it is? It's only a short cable, cannot be much effort.

41HZpmhzXiL.jpg

won't work, PS3 fat.

41GRnrdN-bL._SX385_.jpg

Will work.

Kilau

DVD player might, something with a detachable power cord.

SOR5

Because it's a universal PSU it should work with the slimmer PS3 ones, I remember my PS3 cable using the same cable that could power my PC but I don't think that the PS4 and later PS3's used the same thing

I am most definitely sure I have several of those 8 shaped cables but is there something else I need to watch out for or is it like... if it fits it's good? :)

No, please don't rip out the PSU from a PS3 and try to frankenstein it into a PSU-less PS4

Terrible idea

Power supply cables though should work from Slim PS3's. Fat PS3's don't work due to the connector type

Was hoping someone ripped out the PS3 PSU and put it in a PS4 to see if it worked :(
Good guy Sony having majority of the power cords swappable.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Dreamcast
Saturn
PS2 fat
PS3 fat (In Australia if I remember correctly. Got rid of my fat a few years back)
PS3 Slim
PS4
Xbox One S
OG Xbox

All use a figure 8 power cable. So one cable would work in all the above consoles.

univbee

If you're ever in a rush, the PS4's cable is common with electric razors, going to a specialty store for those should get you one.

Dreamcast
Saturn
PS2 fat
PS3 fat (In Australia if I remember correctly. Got rid of my fat a few years back)
PS3 Slim
PS4
Xbox One S
OG Xbox

All use a figure 8 power cable. So one cable would work in all the above consoles.

Ps2 fat did not use a figure eight cable, atleast the ps2 fat i had didnt

Dreamcast
Saturn
PS2 fat
PS3 Slim
PS4
Xbox One S
OG Xbox

As already stated a few times, the phat PS3 uses a different (kettle) cable.

Top Bottom