• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the ZX Spectrum still hold up today or is it an obsolete fad?

How does the Speccy hold up today?

• Total voters

Harlock

Is it any specific site for new games that comes out on speccy?

When you think of all times when you was calibrating your cassete player head to load games properly. It was skill that you needed to learn if you wanted use your own cassete player for spectrum games on cassetes.
And to thin that on new model you could do that again. Wow. I still have have cassete player that o used then it was my fathers and now its mine. Legendary Sharp GF 9191

Planeta Sinclair is in portuguese but easy to read in google translate.

In my case I use PlayZX app to load the games into the original hardware.
zEU5JVc.png

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wow...I think this was actually before my time...and I'm in my late 30's.

Thanks for making me feel young.

SirTerry-T

The Speccy started it all.
Those Commode 64 owners were all mouth and trousers until they tried to play a 3d game on their bread bin machine. ;)

Class of '83!!!

Seriously though, if you can get past the primitive graphics and sound, there were some fantastically well designed games from that era, and the Spectrum was at the forefront of it, at least in the UK. Hell, most of our gamedev industry owes their start to that little machine.

Ant Attack
Anything by Ultimate Play The Game (a.k.a Rare's Daddy")
Vortex Softwares titles from the late, great Costa Panayi.. Highway Encounter, TLL, Android, Android 2 and Cyclone
Hewson Consultants Spectrum titles, Nebulous, Ranarama, Exolon, Firelord, zynapse, Cybernoid
Most of the Ocean Games output, in particular those authored by Special FX or Denton Designs.
Level 9's text adventure (The UK's own "Infocom)

There's loads....

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Irem M72 arcade hardware
CPU : V30 @ 8 MHz
Sound CPU : Z80 @ 3.579545 MHz
Sound Chip : YM2151 @ 3.579545 MHz

ZX Spectrum 48k
CPU : Zilog Z80 @ 3.5 MHz

Having got the spec differences out of the way, this arcade conversion had no right looking and playing as well as it did.
The coder, Bob Pape performed a minor miracle here, I reckon.

And for anyone interested in the dev scene of that era, Bob wrote a great little book, telling the story behind the conversion. It's available to download from his website and is well worth a read.

To add further fuel to the fire that always starts when us old fans of the 8-bit home computer scene start butting heads, the ZX Spectrum had pretty decent resolution for the time, it's a damn shame Sir Clive wouldn't stump up the cash to get around that damned attribute clash!

A taste of what could have been...

Last edited:

scalman

were i am i remember we started to get those those PC clones from russia like warcraft , duno, ufo back then i was like wow. And with floppy discs was just easy to copy one game to another disc. but it was just one game on disc , not like on cassette it was tens and tens games there, like all on 60 or 90 size cassette . all writen on paper on back where each game is ... it was andventure just to find games and load them. like sometimes it would load from 3rd or 6th try only. Those where times. i was very young then but i remember that very clear.
and i never saw back then how real zx spectrum cases looked like. we all had those custom cases first made from just bended metal and then later they where putting those motherboards into old pc cases like those XT pc cases .
then i heard of some kind of upgraded sound chip like some kind of sound blaster modification or something for speccy , again all that was just going here from russia , back there they where making all kind of stuff for it.
my best thing for ZX spectrum i had was controller from Zhiliton NES clone made for zx spectrum. it was like sega mega drive shape controller so comfy to play those speccy games.

there it is i had that controller modified for spectrum. best mod ever
image;s=644x461

and my spectrum case was something like this, but even less cool, just square box simple
wY5s3.jpg

i remember one of my friends had at home this beauty bac kthen it was so cool looking
4C6E0pPRlRmXPjsA2Qwmf6R-O2GiL58TuS_WlxtuWkxlZcSsaJMqM9qR3iHUuRGiwKZv9DgozNNYxDeUAk0APd-0xvc21quFwzmgd1Abzqt6Vw

and our game early looked like this, even not printed but writen by hand with pencil
7fo9YHMWmc4ugYBLaFotaUXufNtRRwoexATmhAgNQZFyWkzczXLZ90duMheHwBn7HLFAwd-YMWrtuO5RiGmcR01X21U-owbC51te1ZH7XGNV7w

so what is best emulator for pc now to play all that new goodness?

Last edited:

Harlock

Interview with Eben Upton, of Raspberry Pi Foundation. Spectrum and BBC micro culture in the UK is one of things who give us Raspberry.

Top Bottom