• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does vingear + baking soda really clear up clog drain?

I got a question. My kitchen sink is beginning to have sign of clogging. Does vingear + baking soda really help because I really prefer not to use draino

Nymphae

Banned
WnY6Mg0.png

iconmaster

Banned
Followed by boiling water, yes. It can work. It’s a cheap first resort at least. Note it could take more than one “dose.”

Source: have used the trick on my own drains.

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Depends on what's causing the clog and how early you get to it, but yes, it's worked in for me in the past. Also recommend throwing vinegar in the dishwasher every few cycles to clean it out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A bottle of liquid plumber is $5 and you can get 2-3 doses out of it.

The instructions on the box want you to use the whole bottle which is nuts and overkill.

I used less than have bottle on a clogged tub (probably years of build up of hair and crusty soap) and it cleared it like a champ and bathtub drains don't always go straight down to a u-shape where the clog is. It actually goes horizontal then down. But it still cleared it.

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Boil it. If it's just gunk built up, this can work. If you've got hairs or solids accumulating, it'll need a good snaking.

Grinchy

Banned
I've done it. I had a really stubborn bathroom sink that took 6 hours of the combo to finally unclog.

The boiling water thing is up to you. You can find warnings not to do that bc its hot enough to melt the glue holding the PVC pipes together. They're only really meant for water that gets to a heat that the sink itself can put out.

But I've done that too.

G-Bus

Banned
I buy a "Cleaning" strength vinegar and that works a whole lot better. Let it bubble until the bubbling stops then fallow it with boiling hot water.

Have been doing this for years and it works great. Regular household white vinegar does not work nearly as well imo.

Edit: this brand.

YJXB7PO.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom