• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Breeds You'd Get if Nothing Stood in Your Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamblades

Look at these handsome motherfuckers:
belgian-tervuren_03_lg.jpg

Belgian_Tervuren-large.jpg

Belgian Tervuren

I long having a dog. But not any kind of dog. To me a dog's physiology should represent the mutualist relationship between humans and dogs, however obsolete it may be nowadays. They should look useful, intelligent, and full of life. I hate (a feeling more like pity, actually) those overbred breeds that can't hardly breathe, much less move. If i see a short, overweight guy having an asthma attack I'm not gonna go: 'That's sooo cute!'. The same with dogs.

^^ Belgian is my 'when I have plenty of time and space to take care of it' dog as well, but probably a Malinois for me.

stufte

You don't need much space for a Bulldog. They are lazy shits and lie around all day. :3

This is truth. They have about 15 minutes of energy in them for an entire day. The rest is spent snoring and doing stupid bulldog shit like this:

5SIq6aR.png

KodaRuss

Going to be really tough to replace the older of my two dogs (The one in my avatar). He definitely has some German Shepard in him but also some Coyote but he is just an awesome dog.

I have always wanted a Shiba Inut but I refuse to buy any purebreds. Both of my current dogs are strays/rescues.

Mobius 1

I want a corgi, but if it there were no impediments, I'd like something as close to a wolf as possible.

Or maybe just a fucking wolf.

yami4ct

I'm not a big dog person, but there are a couple breeds that I really dig. Shba Inus are just the most adorable things. I also really dig Valhounds. They're like mini-wolves. It's the best.

MikeyB

Nordic Spitz's are awesome little dogs, but they shed a lot.
tumblr_ncdccinzii1s6zkz8o2_500.jpg

If I had a tonne of space I'd go with a Rhodesian ridgeback and a basenji. I like my dogs standoffish and independent.... But I'm getting a cockapoo in October.

14091595172.jpg

Ultima_5

I am loving reading about all of these different dog breeds. Keep them coming!

It really does depend on the breed though, and not just a general "big dogs" thing.

What big dog have a decent life span? Most of these 100+ lb dogs don't last more than 8 years

Jaeger

What big dog have a decent life span? Most of these 100+ lb dogs don't last more than 8 years

Off top the Caucasian Shepherd Dog (110-200lbs) can live 10 to 11 years. My future wolfdog (60-120lbs) can live 13-16 years. These are two I am very interested in so that's why I know that.

DiscoJer

Off top the Caucasian Shepherd Dog (110-200lbs) can live 10 to 11 years. My future wolfdog (60-120lbs) can live 13-16 years. These are two I am very interested in so that's why I know that.

My two Great Pyrenees (120 or so lbs) both lived to be 10 and my Newfoundland (140 lb) lived to be 11, though the last 6 months of his life he couldn't get up, I'd have to pick him up. He could walk once he was up, but just couldn't lift himself.

I had two black lab/german shepherd mixes who weighed 90 lbs each, one made it to 12.5 years and the other one (actually the fat one, she hit 100 for a while) is still alive at 13.5

Doalateralus

Neo Member

One of the reasons I got a Tamaskan was their projected lifespan of 14-15 years. Granted, if they are improperly bred they can get health problems that vastly shortens that, but my dog is insured from the breeder that if he ever has any kind of health screw up due to how he was bred (specifically his hips) then they have to pay for it.

HylianTom

Banned

Our last akita lived 14.5 years, although he almost fell to a very common cause of akita death one morning when he was about 10.

He began to bloat one morning after our walk. I caught the symptoms about 10 minutes in, put him in the car, and called the ER on the way, telling them, "Call your OR team in. You have a bloat case en route. We'll be there in 5." The vet tells us that he probably wouldn't have made it had we waited another 30 minutes.

Our current puppy will probably get a gastropexy when he's older, just to minimize the odds of the same thing happening to him. Usually the average akita lifespan is around 11-12 years. Not too bad.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Border Collie.

My parents owned one (which I took care of plenty of times) and they have a mutt now that looks and acts 90% Border Collie. I absolutely adore them.

They are incredible dogs. They are constatly rated as the most intelligent breed there is and they ace agility tournaments, to the point that some minor competitions ban them so other breeds have a chance of success. I can only describe them as a dog with the brain of Stephen Hawking rolled into Usain Bolt's body. There were times when I looked into my old dog's eyes and I thought "that bitch could do my taxes".

Smarter than most small kids (fuck, I'd say they are smarter than many adults), lovely, caring companions and with an utmost desire to exercise. Alas, those dogs have been breed to to work, which means that they need something to keep them occupied or they will become engines of destruction. I kid you not.

Let to their own devices, bored Border Collies will chomp away hoses, dog houses, plants and wreck havok in ways you couldn't imagine. Which can be problematic, given that those fuckers are extremely agile and can easily jump through a window, unlock a door and climb to the oddest places.

Vpdgw9P.gif

They are also very motion sensitive and have a huge drive, which means they tend to chase cars and herd little kids as if they were sheep. Which is hilarious, until you let them slip for one second and try to playfully herd a bunch of terrified kids at the park, which may or may not get nipped at their ankles.

Still, they are incredibly lovely, not agressive (despite their hardwired herding instinct), fastidious and their intelligence makes them the most constantly amusing breed that I know. But I live in an apartment now, and although there are some calmer, chiller Border Collies that can live in smaller places, a house with a huge garden or yard (or better yet, an actual farm) is the best place for them.

Also, the shedding. Oh God, the shedding.

Right now they are not for me, but I know I'll be getting a couple of them if I ever move to the country.

mkenyon

Banned
Look at these handsome motherfuckers:
belgian-tervuren_03_lg.jpg

Belgian_Tervuren-large.jpg

Belgian Tervuren

I long having a dog. But not any kind of dog. To me a dog's physiology should represent the mutualist relationship between humans and dogs, however obsolete it may be nowadays. They should look useful, intelligent, and full of life. I hate (a feeling more like pity, actually) those overbred breeds that can't hardly breathe, much less move. If i see a short, overweight guy having an asthma attack I'm not gonna go: 'That's sooo cute!'. The same with dogs.
Yes. This is the only dog that I've thought of getting over another Border Collie. Well, one of the three Belgians anyway.
Border Collie.
We can be friends.

My cattle-bred Border Collie is now 4 months. Holy fuck she's a handful, but totally worth it. It'll be fun to have her do this eventually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3VO_B-O5s

The smooth haired Border Collies definitely alleviate the seasonal shedding issue. But they're a lot tougher (generally), so require a much firmer hand.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My cattle-bred Border Collie is now 4 months.
Oh boy. I remember when mine was 4 months old. She was a fluffy ball of lightning. It was overwhelming at times, she had so much energy. I think she finally began to calm down at 4 years old or so, but she was cray-cray until her very end. God, I loved that dog.

Holy fuck she's a handful, but totally worth it. It'll be fun to have her do this eventually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3VO_B-O5s

Dat gaze.

Jaeger

So as an update to my initial posts here, I have taken major steps toward getting my dream dog companion, a wolfdog. I have been studying them and speaking with numerous owners about care of costs, and everything else they could share with me. Getting my hands on every bit of material I possibly could in the process.

After some searching I was introduced to a well respected and praised breeder of low to mid content wolfdogs out of FL. We had an almost hour long conversation where the breeder pretty much interviewed me. A real wolfdog breeder will ask a slew of questions and may even visit your home to see if it's sufficient enough for the dog. They want to know if you are knowledgeable enough and capable of taking care of these animals and even if you have the proper finances. It's no joke. And upon agreeing with one another I was capable of caring for a pup I had to not only give a deposit to hold my choice pup from the next litter of my choosing, but I had to also sign a contract in which if anything happens where I could not care for the pup, I am to give him or her back to the breeder.

I am going for a "low-mid" Wolfdog. One who will retain a lot of wolf-like physical traits but behaviorally, be more like a dog. Perfect for someone just getting into this. A few things people need to know;

Percentages usually don't mean crap. There's no real way to determine a wolfdogs wolf and/or dog "percentage". The best way to determine the content is through phenotyping, and even then it's just estimates and ranges we are working with. For instance, a wolfdog whose parents were 100% Wolf and 100% Husky would make the wolfdog Mid-Content, and ths 50%. But this rarely happens in controlled breeding. Usually it's a high content wolfdog that gets breed in captivity and not a pure Wolf. So then these figures become more diluted.

So when a person says "I knew/had/seen a wolfdog who was 75% Wolf!" then it's already sketchy, and at that point (being a high-content), the dog should be almost indistinguishable from an actual wolf;

p3q0l46.jpg

I'll go in more detail later. For those of you (seemed to be quite a few) who are interested in these dogs as well, here are some informative links to look at and a few books to get a hold of;

http://www.wolfdogeducation101.com/
http://www.texx-wolf-tails.com/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/096677261X/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0966772644/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Azulsky

Belgian Malinois or German Shepard. I guess top pick would be White GSD.

Some breeders mix GSD's with the Malinois to fix the hip issues from what I understand. The frog legs on the show GSDs make me sad.

Also like Weimariner, Visla... I could do this all day

I would need to buy land so they all have enough room to poop.

Jaeger

Belgian Malinois or German Shepard. I guess top pick would be White GSD.

Some breeders mix GSD's with the Malinois to fix the hip issues from what I understand. The frog legs on the show GSDs make me sad.

Also like Weimariner, Visla... I could do this all day

I would need to buy land so they all have enough room to poop.

Just stay away from "show" breeders. Apparently there are divergent lines and some breeders intentionally breed them with that hip crap. Apparently the original true line from Germany does not have that hip issue.

Here is a well bred GSD.

mW04in3.jpg

Mumei

129500461375869254.jpg

Samoyedddddddddddddddd

giphy.gif

Alaskan Noble Companion dog:
GVacA0C.jpg

Seems like the perfect dog for a police officer to shoot though. (Like, legitimately, it's an instinctively scary looking but beautiful dog.)

Had to do a double take because that breed looks like it could almost pass for a wolf or wolfdog. Alot of similarities, especially in the face and build. Apparently this was intentional. And there is also apparently no wolf in their parentage.

8yKhvMP.jpg
h62nHr5.jpg

That is beautiful.

Faltimar

Man, I just want a beagle. When my current dog (lab) expires I'll get a beagle.

My mom and her best friend (who is my age) are way into dog shows and shit. The dogs they show are Cocker Spaniels. My mom has like 10 or 12 of them fuckers. My mom also works at a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom