• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Breeds You'd Get if Nothing Stood in Your Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
My kind of thread:
Shiba_inu_taiki.jpg

Shiba inus and no question about that !

Ja2FK0a.jpg

Maybe an Italian Greyhound or two. They're too big and high energy for me and my living space but I find them ridiculously silly and cute.

kmag

I've already got my 'dream dogs'

858034_4907918588333_1094358880_o.jpg

or in their more natural state...

857530_4907921388403_989519728_o.jpg

My wife is a cruel woman, I don't think I've ever seen a dog so ashamed of it's owner.

406698_2616882473862_795535360_n.jpg

zeshakag

Alaskan Noble Companion dog:
GVacA0C.jpg

Seems like the perfect dog for a police officer to shoot though. (Like, legitimately, it's an instinctively scary looking but beautiful dog.)

I've already got my 'dream dogs'

858034_4907918588333_1094358880_o.jpg

or in their more natural state...

857530_4907921388403_989519728_o.jpg
There we go. I grew up with three sammies and more often than not they looked exactly like this. Really tough dogs to keep clean and groomed, especially for us since we lived in a forest.

Such sweet animals, though, ours would fall asleep under bird feeders in the winter and let the birds pick seeds out of their fur.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm going to have a hard time not getting a German Shepherd/Lab mix from here on out. We have a 7.5 month old one now and he's pretty much one of the coolest dogs ever. He definitely inherited the best traits from both breeds and he looks super cool.

Neapolitan-Mastiff6.jpg

Neapolitan Mastiff. Romans would pit one of these in the colosseum against a leopard, and considered it an even match.

A more realistic dream dog,
Bella_the_Saint-Hubert_Bloodhound_relaxes.jpg

The Bloodhound.

openrob

I wanted an Akita - I ended up basically being given an Akita in a situation that I did not predict at all. Haha

20140518061807_img_20140201_162014-1655-540-450-80.jpg

Terrible pic

ValfarHL

Either doge:

and afghan hound:

qAp60dK.jpg

or this little dog-fox thing... A Fennec Fox:

"I would fox 500 miles, and I would fox five-hundred more, just to be the fox who walked a thousand fox fox fox fox fox fox fox."

Wow, so that's where the inspiration for one of the bosses in one of the Souls games came from. Can't remember at all, but I'm almost sure.

Furyous

Dingo, but I'd have to have more than one. So a pack of Dingoes.

dingo_514_600x450.jpg

dingoes1.jpg

Also check them out as puppies
tumblr_mx4qxrYwBl1qi4ucgo1_400.jpg

Here's the deal: Dingos don't screw around. It would be cool as puppy but raising one would be hell.

and afghan hound:

qAp60dK.jpg

or this little dog-fox thing... A Fennec Fox:

1N0c0Ttl.jpg

"I would fox 500 miles, and I would fox five-hundred more, just to be the fox who walked a thousand fox fox fox fox fox fox fox."

Is it me or does the afghan hound look like a Titan from Attack on Titan? Clearly, I'm not bout that life. I want a fennec fox so bad but he might eat me.

Already got my Corgi
7f8b78c2f1b08006420d35135899c811.jpg

Awww look at him on his king of the pack moment.

---

I want an alaskan malamute that knows how to hunt for food.

Fitts

Well since I keep seeing a lot of people say Shiba I guess it's a good time as any to post pics of mine

[A whole lotta cute/awesome!]

He was seriously the best wing-man you could ever ask for

My man!

jbw3jhK.jpg

I wanted a Shiba Inu, so I got one. Meeka (yes, said like *that* Mika but Americanized thanks to an early vet mispronunciation) will be turning ten next month. Amazing how everyone I met would play "guess the breed" when I first got her and over the years they've become pretty well known.

She's been awesome, but I'll never get another. Too much personality -- she's irreplaceable so I would never try. :)

EDIT: We're planning to get two dogs sometime in the future. The wife will get what she wants (probably a large breed of some sort) and I'd like an Aussie Cattle Dog.

You are not kidding. My dad's at the point where he wants to borrow ours to take him to the park, just so he can chat-up women.
One of the easiest ice breakers imo
My man!

*awesome shiba*

She's been awesome, but I'll never get another. Too much personality -- she's irreplaceable so I would never try. :)

So much this. I think a lot of people saying Shiba would be in for a huge surprise lol

I think this image is perfect

hPp7uIp.jpg

Nairume

Banned
Two kinds of dogs in the world that I'd love to get

RVTzvpn.jpg

ThxxQnA.jpg

Wife has also fallen in love with Bostons, so it looks like we'll probably be getting one if we can in the future. Australian Cattledogs is also a personal fav, though that obviously would only be if I could give him enough land to run around on :3

I also grew up with rat terriers and would totally be cool with having another one
YPPljCs.jpg

They are like Jack Russells without any of the downsides.

tariniel

I'd like a black lab if I wasn't allergic to dogs and had a big enough place for it. I've been very allergic to every dog I've ever come into contact with though, including labs. The allergies then flare up the asthma. It just can't happen.

Doalateralus

Neo Member
Tamaskan!

Oh wait, I have one named Fenrir :)

djE4yki.jpg

Originally wanted a female Tamaskan but I fell in love with Fenrir because he looked like this as a pup:

iM6M6.jpg

And now he's a 130 pound dog. Don't regret it for a second.

Jaeger

Tamaskan!

djE4yki.jpg

Originally wanted a female Tamaskan but I fell in love with Fenrir because he looked like this as a pup:

iM6M6.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. They kind of resemble wolf pups when they are pups themselves. Such an interesting breed. They could almost pass for low-content wolfdogs. The breeders did a wonderful job with them.

Doalateralus

Neo Member
Absolutely beautiful. They kind of resemble wolf pups when they are pups themselves. Such an interesting breed. They could almost pass for low-content wolfdogs. The breeders did a wonderful job with them.

He is extremely beautiful, people stop me all the time to tell me how pretty he is/ask what breed he is because Tamaskans are, of course, exceedingly rare.

To be honest, people tend to think he's a siberian husky (of which he is much lankier and a different coat/physiology) or an actual wolf (I've ran into a few parents telling their kids to stay away from him because they think he's an actual wolf). Their personalities are incredible though, and he's both energetic and calm at the right times and even better: mine has never barked.

The "downsides" of the breed are that Fen sheds a lot (due to Canadian climate) and he used to destroy stuff until his separation anxiety went away after his crate training finally stuck (a notorious characteristic of his breed).

For an example of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyVWUCDS93o

But he doesn't do that anymore, and I've had him for almost 4 years now. He does cry a lot, but only when he wants a walk, food or attention because it's the way he communicates since he does not bark or growl.

XOMTOR

Rhodesian Ridgeback

Tough as hell, intelligent and fearless. Takes a firm hand with lots of training and socialization but if raised successfully, they can make loyal companions. True pack animals who love to "hunt" together with their family group.

Since the wife and I were able and had the means, we managed to get one and it's been quite a ride. Here's our boy at 3 months and fully grown (he's about the size of a small-ish Great Dane). Now that we've had one, I can't imagine having any other breed.

Tamaskan!

Very nice. We frequent a lot of dog shows and have heard of most breeds but this is a new one for us. Did a bit of reading on the breed; fascinating.

XOMTOR

My misses had one named Cooge and he was a greyish brown. Brilliant dog but lost a leg to bone cancer, he lasted to 14 years after losing his leg at 6. Tough as nails, just as you say.

Damn that's too bad about his leg but it's heartening to hear he still managed to live a good long life. 14 for a big breed dog is nothing to sneeze at.

My man!

jbw3jhK.jpg

I wanted a Shiba Inu, so I got one. Meeka (yes, said like *that* Mika but Americanized thanks to an early vet mispronunciation) will be turning ten next month. Amazing how everyone I met would play "guess the breed" when I first got her and over the years they've become pretty well known.

EDIT: We're planning to get two dogs sometime in the future. The wife will get what she wants (probably a large breed of some sort) and I'd like an Aussie Cattle Dog.

One of the easiest ice breakers imo

So much this. I think a lot of people saying Shiba would be in for a huge surprise lol

I think this image is perfect

hPp7uIp.jpg
If it's not too much to ask, was it very difficult to find shiba breeders? I've had a bit of a peruse online and most of the breeders I found had 5 year wait lists and were award winning show dogs. I'm not sure if those are the only kinds of breeders in the west for shibas though. I'm thinking otherwise I might buy one when I move to Japan for a few years if my rental allows it , and then bring him back home. It would be really expensive and probably quite unstable for the dog though so I'd prefer to buy locally in aus.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Always wanted an English bulldog... finally got one last year. They are a little high maintenance but well worth it. So much fun to have around the house and perfect for kids if you have a family.
My Boston is obsessed with an English bulldog in our building. He likes her so much. They always play. I find her adorable but she just looks so unhealthy...I worry about her.

Jaeger

Alaskan Noble Companion dog:
GVacA0C.jpg

Seems like the perfect dog for a police officer to shoot though. (Like, legitimately, it's an instinctively scary looking but beautiful dog.)

Had to do a double take because that breed looks like it could almost pass for a wolf or wolfdog. Alot of similarities, especially in the face and build. Apparently this was intentional. And there is also apparently no wolf in their parentage.

8yKhvMP.jpg
h62nHr5.jpg

Shaneus

I'm surprised no one has said Greyhound. I have one and they rule.
I think it's because they're easier to get than other dogs, and this is a no-holds barred thread so more exotic ones will apply.

Having said that, my girlfriend and I have been seriously looking at adopting a grey. Once we live in a place that can have pets (and we actually live together) we're totally getting a cat-friendly one. That, or just get a whippet pup.
But seriously, just have a look at them!
ZuIkyPg.jpg

Those eyes *swoon*

10R3DLo.jpg

1Twa1Ft.jpg

Plus, it's kinda like doing a community service, too. And their temperament is amazing <3

How's your experience been? Did you own yours since it was a pup?

Alaskan Malamute, but this thread is making me add more to the list.

I'm a dog man, and have always wanted a few big dogs to roll with. I've got a yard, a decent fence. I've got a puggle with (I hope) about 10 years left in him. After that, it's time to get my dog.

Got one name picked out already.

iamblades

Ja2FK0a.jpg

Maybe an Italian Greyhound or two. They're too big and high energy for me and my living space but I find them ridiculously silly and cute.
Greyhounds actually aren't high energy at all, they are some of the laziest dogs on the planet 23 hours of the day. They are sprinters, they bring all their energy in small bursts.

They will chase the shit out of anything that moves during that other hour though, and they are really sensitive to diet and medicines.

Shaneus

Greyhounds actually aren't high energy at all, they are some of the laziest dogs on the planet 23 hours of the day. They are sprinters, they bring all their energy in small bursts.

They will chase the shit out of anything that moves during that other hour though, and they are really sensitive to diet and medicines.
Is that all greyhounds or just Italians? I would've thought the bigger they are (going to whippets then full-size greys) the less sensitive they are to diet.

Border Collie.

Smartest breed there is, it has been proven! Tons of fun and very affectionate, they also don't tend to be aggressive.

However, I will probably never get one since they are extremely active and become problems if they don't get their energy worked out, and I am simply not a person who will probably ever have time for that.

6a1pEvn.jpg

60Zx3KG.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
I gotta ask, for people that like Bostons, have you spent much time with them?

My wife's best friend has a family obsession with them. They've been breeding a line of them for like 20 years, every single member of their family has at least two.

I can't help but pity these creatures. They can barely breathe. They can barely breed. They suffer from all sorts of random health issues. They're constantly gassy. They snore. They're constantly cold. They're extremely stubborn and hard to train. If you saw the human equivalent of a Boston, you would literally recoil at the deformity in front of you.
Border Collie.

Smartest breed there is, it has been proven! Tons of fun and very affectionate, they also don't tend to be aggressive.

However, I will probably never get one since they are extremely active and become problems if they don't get their energy worked out, and I am simply not a person who will probably ever have time for that.

6a1pEvn.jpg

60Zx3KG.jpg
They are amazing. Trust me, even though you think, "I won't make time", they don't really give you an option. Once you get past that first two years, then it's all easy as pie.

The other thing is, is that they don't need actual physical exercise as much as they do mental exercise. If I just have my dogs run around, they're still pretty wired. If I do a 30 minute training session, have them do tricks, give them a job to do, then they're content.

If you're a dog person, and confident in your ability to train, they are sooooooo fucking worth it.

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
Look at these handsome motherfuckers:
belgian-tervuren_03_lg.jpg

Belgian_Tervuren-large.jpg

Belgian Tervuren

I long having a dog. But not any kind of dog. To me a dog's physiology should represent the mutualist relationship between humans and dogs, however obsolete it may be nowadays. They should look useful, intelligent, and full of life. I hate (a feeling more like pity, actually) those overbred breeds that can't hardly breathe, much less move. If i see a short, overweight guy having an asthma attack I'm not gonna go: 'That's sooo cute!'. The same with dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom