Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Thoraxes

Member
Jan 12, 2009
28,526
0
0
soundcloud.com
Gvaz said:
It looks nice graphically, but I don't really care for it because I want to see clear long distance shots instead.
Here's some in a new gallery I uploaded. However, actual good long-distance shots will not happen until people do this with the actual release version. The AR code messes up the DoF with the demo version of the game. It's based more around the current camera and its position around Link, so even if you free-look, it'll still be mostly based off him and not where the camera actively is. Some of it is partly locked to where it would've been in the cutscene.

Gallery Number 4!
There's a surprise picture in there I have a feeling some people needed to know

 

Red

Member
Feb 16, 2008
23,709
1
0
I've fought Ghirahim maybe six times now.

On the latest fight, my remote batteries were running low, and Fi gave me a message to change them.

Nice touch, I thought.

Thoraxes: your settings seem to be the ones to use so far. I've tried a bunch of revisions and a bunch of settings, but yours look consistently good and run absolutely without a hitch.





Man I love this game.
 

Dascu

Member
Nov 24, 2006
13,568
0
0
Belgium
twitter.com
Heavy said:
360 controller + SS = anyone?
Is it possible since SS uses Motion+ and precise IR stuff?
It's not possible. Game is programmed around M+ and you can't emulate that (as of now at least). It's possible to get in-game though; I've played some of the demo with a regular Wiimote and a hack, but you can't do any of the M+ stuff. So you can't fly, you can't use your sword, or any items, etc.
 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jan 29, 2008
36,153
3
0
Australia
DOF effect built specifically for 480p on dated hardware brute force rendered at 1080p = DOF LOOKS LIKE SHIT WHAT THE FUCK NINTENDO

Heavy said:
360 controller + SS = anyone?
Is it possible since SS uses Motion+ and precise IR stuff?
So lets take Super Mario Galaxy, and map his analogue character movement to four buttons (WASD if you desire). Now lets take the pointer controlled star, and map that to four buttons as well (number pad? number pad).

Imagine how disastrous the game would control. That is what trying to map Skyward Sword to dual analogue would be like (if not worse).
 

Barack Lesnar

Banned
Jun 7, 2010
19,181
0
0
Dascu said:
It's not possible. Game is programmed around M+ and you can't emulate that (as of now at least). It's possible to get in-game though; I've played some of the demo with a regular Wiimote and a hack, but you can't do any of the M+ stuff. So you can't fly, you can't use your sword, or any items, etc.
Damn.. thanks. I guess I'll buy the controller
 

TGMIII

Member
May 6, 2011
3,032
0
0
I'm guessing the stand alone motion plus is the same as the all-in-one motion plus controller right?
 

MCD

Junior Member
Nov 9, 2006
15,379
0
0
jediyoshi said:
When in doubt, restart the game then toggle the Connect Wiimote option until it starts working (Tools -> Connect Wiimote 1 (alt+f5)).
You are beautiful.
 

Punks

Member
Jan 9, 2010
122
17
615
Is it me or does Skyward Sword look really bad?? Background blur is the new mid 90's fog. Way over used.
 

Gvaz

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
11,619
0
0
USA
gvaz.notsleepytime.org
Dascu said:
It's not possible. Game is programmed around M+ and you can't emulate that (as of now at least). It's possible to get in-game though; I've played some of the demo with a regular Wiimote and a hack, but you can't do any of the M+ stuff. So you can't fly, you can't use your sword, or any items, etc.
Couldn't you use a DS3? it doesn't have a gyroscope though iirc. You can still move it up and down and side to side, that should be enough.
 

RooMHM

Member
Jan 23, 2010
3,843
0
0
Paris, France
It looks like the "DOF" as you call it is more like a Mario Sunshine's heat effect/fog. Isn't that a dophin bug and it looks way better on wii?
 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jan 29, 2008
36,153
3
0
Australia
RooMHM said:
It looks like the "DOF" as you call it is more like a Mario Sunshine's heat effect/fog. Isn't that a dophin bug and it looks way better on wii?
It looks significantly better on the Wii. It's rendered how its supposed to render, and for the appropriate resolution.
 

StevieP

Banned
Sep 10, 2006
12,045
0
0
Gvaz said:
Couldn't you use a DS3? it doesn't have a gyroscope though iirc. You can still move it up and down and side to side, that should be enough.
No, the DS3 cannot properly emulate gyroscope+accelerometer. If you can find a way to connect the Move controller to Dolphin, it may work. As of right now, the only way you can play is a Wiimote with motionplus.

Heavy said:
Damn.. thanks. I guess I'll buy the controller
Don't forget to buy a Wii and the game as well! :)

EatChildren said:
It looks significantly better on the Wii. It's rendered how its supposed to render, and for the appropriate resolution.
Correct - Dolphin buggers up the Zelda DoF effect (in all the Zelda titles it can run). I wonder if they can fix it somehow.

Granted, people here are saying that the demo's DoF is even more broken due to the cheats.
 

Thoraxes

Member
Jan 12, 2009
28,526
0
0
soundcloud.com
StevieP said:
Correct - Dolphin buggers up the Zelda DoF effect (in all the Zelda titles it can run). I wonder if they can fix it somehow.

Granted, people here are saying that the demo's DoF is even more broken due to the cheats.
This is correct.
Maybe I'll make a short video later showcasing the effect. You know how Bioware games use DoF in conversations, but you can see the little border around the characters where there is none? Take that DoF sillouette and use it in normal gameplay while moving around, and then have it mess itself up a bunch because it gets confused where it's supposed to render it from.

I don't think it'll be so bad in the retail game though, at least not to the degree I've seen.
 

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nov 29, 2006
13,304
0
0
Anyone yet find a solution to the Bow and Slingshot aiming being misaligned with the onscreen reticle? This is the only mess up I still have with the game. All the other items work at least decently, including the Gust Bellow, Whip, Claw Shot and Beetle. Having to constantly recenter is a bit annoying but at least they work with where I am aiming.
 

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nov 29, 2006
13,304
0
0
shamo42 said:
Is this with or without sensor bar?
Without, I never bothered to unpack my Wii to try it out since someone a page or two back said they had the same problem even with the sensor bar.
 

shamo42

Member
Jun 7, 2004
470
0
1,375
Enduin said:
Without, I never bothered to unpack my Wii to try it out since someone a page or two back said they had the same problem even with the sensor bar.
I've read the last page and the same user said that
Build 7689 doesn't have this problem and is graphically identical with the same settings.
Could you try this build with a sensor bar?
 

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nov 29, 2006
13,304
0
0
shamo42 said:
I've read the last page and the same user said that


Could you try this build with a sensor bar?
Done and done, same deal. The Bow and Slingshot are still misaligned.
 

Red

Member
Feb 16, 2008
23,709
1
0
Enduin said:
Done and done, same deal. The Bow and Slingshot are still misaligned.
I noticed that too. Hopefully it'll be fixed after the game releases, but even if it's not it's not like it's a huge deal.
 

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
May 10, 2006
3,364
0
0
EatChildren said:
DOF effect built specifically for 480p on dated hardware brute force rendered at 1080p = DOF LOOKS LIKE SHIT WHAT THE FUCK NINTENDO
.
Thanks for talking sense!

Not sure if I am going to play this on the PC or bow out and buy a Wii... really don't want to get a Wii just for one game that I want to play.

Never tried Wii games on PC (that needs the wiimote), hope it's not very painful.
 

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nov 29, 2006
13,304
0
0
Crunched said:
I noticed that too. Hopefully it'll be fixed after the game releases, but even if it's not it's not like it's a huge deal.
Ohh its a pretty big deal for me at least. Both are virtually unusable. They dont just shoot a little off reticle but wayy off, like offscreen off. Theyre really high and really to the right to where adjusting for it is really hard since whatever Im aiming at isnt actually onscreen.
 
Apr 27, 2011
6,892
0
0
Dascu said:
It's possible to get in-game though; I've played some of the demo with a regular Wiimote and a hack, but you can't do any of the M+ stuff. So you can't fly, you can't use your sword, or any items, etc.
Could you point me in the right direction for this? Don't have m+, and I just want to see if it runs ok for now.
 

Chairhome

Member
Nov 3, 2007
7,989
0
0
Meh, I tried on my rig and its not up to snuff :-(. Getting about 60-80% fps, even at native. Phenom II x4 OC'd to 3.5GHz. At least I can run Xenoblade pretty well on it. I'll either play on my wii or my brother's rig.
 

Red

Member
Feb 16, 2008
23,709
1
0
Enduin said:
Ohh its a pretty big deal for me at least. Both are virtually unusable. They dont just shoot a little off reticle but wayy off, like offscreen off. Theyre really high and really to the right to where adjusting for it is really hard since whatever Im aiming at isnt actually onscreen.
Like 4-5 inches off from center for me, but in consistently the same place so it's easy to adjust for.
 

Sinoox

Banned
Feb 22, 2011
1,315
0
0
Colorado

That looks surprisingly amazing in HD, probably thanks to that paint oil effect. Good, that means it will hold up in the long run when it inevitably is ported to Nintendo's future consoles. I got to play the demo through composite cables on a 1080p TV... unfortunately it was jaggies galore! I might be better off playing this in SD, cause it aint happening on dolphin; too much work configuring everything to run somewhat smoothly.
 

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jan 29, 2008
42,344
0
0
29
Florida
TheCongressman1 said:
Could you point me in the right direction for this? Don't have m+, and I just want to see if it runs ok for now.
Random guess: Set Wiimote to hybrid, set the emulated version to have a Motion Plus installed.
 

Red

Member
Feb 16, 2008
23,709
1
0
Sinoox said:
That looks surprisingly amazing in HD, probably thanks to that paint oil effect. Good, that means it will hold up in the long run when it inevitably is ported to Nintendo's future consoles. I got to play the demo through composite cables on a 1080p TV... unfortunately it was jaggies galore! I might be better off playing this in SD, cause it aint happening on dolphin; too much work configuring everything to run somewhat smoothly.
If you have the hardware for it, it will literally take seconds (unless you are counting the time to rip the game?). Setting up options in Dolphin takes no time at all.
 

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jan 29, 2008
42,344
0
0
29
Florida
I am going to try and track down this demo to see how well it runs. My CPU is a tad on the slow side when it comes from Dolphin, but I can't know how it runs till I try.
 

Haunted

Member
Nov 16, 2006
78,207
0
0
steamcommunity.com
Crunched said:
If you have the hardware for it, it will literally take seconds (unless you are counting the time to rip the game?). Setting up options in Dolphin takes no time at all.
I hope the OP will be updated with the ideal revision + settings once Skyward Sword is out. :D
 

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jan 29, 2008
42,344
0
0
29
Florida
I really wish people kept track of that information for more games. Some games do honestly run better on older versions, while some need the newest in order to get around some sort of copy protection.
 
Apr 27, 2011
6,892
0
0
Drkirby said:
Random guess: Set Wiimote to hybrid, set the emulated version to have a Motion Plus installed.
Nope that feature got taken off...

Someone had a cheat code, but when I used it I just got a black screen instead of the prompt for motion+.

Hmmm, I really hope it will run ok when I get the retail copy.
 

Haunted

Member
Nov 16, 2006
78,207
0
0
steamcommunity.com
Drkirby said:
I really wish people kept track of that information for more games. Some games do honestly run better on older versions, while some need the newest in order to get around some sort of copy protection.
While it would be nice to have for most releases, I think Skyward Sword qualifies as big enough that this absolutely has to be done by someone knowledgeable enough. :D
 

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nov 29, 2006
13,304
0
0
Crunched said:
Like 4-5 inches off from center for me, but in consistently the same place so it's easy to adjust for.
It keeps changing on me, sometimes its not so bad like only a little off, but it always gets worse to where its completely off screen for the bow and severely off for the slingshot, and since the misalignment is never the same I cant exactly get used to compensating for it.

Like this here is a not so bad offset, for me at least, Im aiming where I need to in order to hit the door switch at the top. But even so thats still way too much and hope someone can fix this asap.

 

Sutton Dagger

Member
Feb 22, 2010
6,037
0
0
Australia
TheCongressman1 said:
Nope that feature got taken off...

Someone had a cheat code, but when I used it I just got a black screen instead of the prompt for motion+.

Hmmm, I really hope it will run ok when I get the retail copy.
I got it running to test out my hardware as well (Use Thorax's settings).

What you do is:
1: sync your real wiimote and get to the main screen, press A. Screen will go dark.

2: When on the black screen, go to the wiimote settings and select 'emulated wiimote'. Configure this and chose Keyboard under the 'devices' setting. Select a Keyboard key for the A button (I picked A).

3: Still in this menu, go to 'Extension' and chose Nunchuk. Set the 'Stick' options for Left and Right as keys on the keyboard (I picked Left and Right Arrows respectively).

4: Now that you have picked emulated wiimote, the game will scan for the wiimote but not find it properly. Press A when prompted. You will be asked if you want to scan again, use the left keyboard key to move the selection to 'No' and then to the right when it asks you again'

5: Once you're into the normal bootup screen (the 'wear the wrist strap one), you can change back to the 'real wiimote in the wiimote settings and you will be good to go. You won't be able to do anything except run and use A, but you can test your hardware.

6: Enjoy (and post results)
 

Red

Member
Feb 16, 2008
23,709
1
0
Yeah that's about where it is for me, but without variation. It seems I've been having a lot of luck with this demo though, since I've also had no issues with m+ needing calibration.

I can't stop playing it. I want to finish Twilight Princess, but I keep getting sucked back to the dungeon and Ghirahim fight.

Haunted said:
I hope the OP will be updated with the ideal revision + settings once Skyward Sword is out. :D
Thoraxes's settings look great and run perfectly. All I'm hoping is a fix for the misaligned slightshot/bow, really. The DoF effect was probably only broken in the demo. Everything else is perfect.
 

Bossniak

Member
Sep 13, 2009
1,621
34
795
joshcryer said:
I'm seeing a motion plus controller on Google shopping for $15. That can't be right, is this controller compatible?
WARNING: These controllers do not have motion plus built in it is a scam! The remotes also emit a high pitch hiss constantly while playing some games. Don't waste your money with this extremely poor quality knock off!
 

Thoraxes

Member
Jan 12, 2009
28,526
0
0
soundcloud.com
I'll just link my settings post in-case anyone doesn't feel like going to look for it. I really do highly recommend them for everyone as so far I think they're some of the best running settings you'll get, as of now anyways.

Additionally, your optional changes you can do that shouldn't affect the major performance as far as a compatibility goes are the internal resolution, AA, and AF. Obviously with these, more is better, but they can be changed as much as you want to get the best speed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32529372&postcount=5221

I'll spend some time doing configs for SS once the full game is released. We'll have to see if the full version even has problems with the Motion+ alignment in this build, because for all we know, it may not.
 

forrest

formerly nacire
Dec 9, 2008
5,109
0
0
Seattle, WA
forrestcrump.wordpress.com
Can you guys link where your downloading the revisions? Ive been looking through the Dolphin Development forums and while I'm finding some revisions from different authors, I'm unable to locate the one being referenced by a few in this thread. Thanks!
 
Apr 27, 2011
6,892
0
0
Sutton Dagger said:
6: Enjoy (and post results)
Got it. It was a little more sluggish than I expected. About 50-60% speed. I've got:

i5 intel core duo 2.3
intel 3000 graphics
and I'm using Thoraxes' settings.

I can run Twilight Princess no problem. I didn't expect to see this kind of drop.
 

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Oct 5, 2006
4,605
17
1,090
akskiller said:
WARNING: These controllers do not have motion plus built in it is a scam! The remotes also emit a high pitch hiss constantly while playing some games. Don't waste your money with this extremely poor quality knock off!
Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Dang, I guess I'll wait for Dolphin to come out with a better version anyway (I don't have a TV or a large monitor so playing with a Wii controller is really out of the question anyway).
 

Thoraxes

Member
Jan 12, 2009
28,526
0
0
soundcloud.com
Are you running it on an MBP by any chance? If so, bootcamp it and see what happens. I'm doing everything on Win7, so I can't help you there if that's the issue.

nacire said:
Can you guys link where your downloading the revisions? Ive been looking through the Dolphin Development forums and while I'm finding some revisions from different authors, I'm unable to locate the one being referenced by a few in this thread. Thanks!
From the official Dolphin website that's posted in the OP. In the downloads section, there should be something in there about an archive of all past revisions.
 

Veal

Member
Dec 5, 2008
2,152
0
750
I hope this bannable talk, but is it possible to have Dolphin work with wbfs files? My Wii died a while ago and I never got to convert the disc images into FAT32. I've used wbfs file converter, but converting those files into iso took waaaay too much space (somewhere in the region of 350GB). The wbfs files were much smaller in that regard.
 
Apr 27, 2011
6,892
0
0
Thoraxes said:
Are you running it on an MBP by any chance? If so, bootcamp it and see what happens. I'm doing everything on Win7, so I can't help you there if that's the issue.
Yeah, it's MBP. I haven't gotten around to setting up boot camp yet, but hopefully that will help a bit. I'll let you guys know.
 

forrest

formerly nacire
Dec 9, 2008
5,109
0
0
Seattle, WA
forrestcrump.wordpress.com
Thoraxes said:
From the official Dolphin website that's posted in the OP. In the downloads section, there should be something in there about an archive of all past revisions.
Yeah I saw that, but wasn't aware 7719 was an official release, what made you guys go that far back in revisions to try that particular version?