• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

z0.png

Why does the depth of field/watercolor effect look so good in your shots, but so terrible in some other people's?

reektann

I dunno if you tried disabling some things in the advanced section... I turn off things like fog and alpha pass cuz I like the cleaner look frankly

Could you let me know specifically which ones? I'll give it a shot then. There are so many tick boxes everywhere it's slightly confusing.

Medalion

Banned
Could you let me know specifically which ones? I'll give it a shot then. There are so many tick boxes everywhere it's slightly confusing.

There are literally 2 boxes that say disable fog, and disable alpha something, you'll know the ones I mean in the graphic advanced section, the rest I leave defaulted

Of course, this may be different if you have a different revision or older one than me, I use r7719

elektrixx

Banned
Help! I made a bunch of progress in Zelda with no native save spot. I left it at the home screen to eat dinner and when I returned my Wii Remote had timed out. It doesn't redetect the controller!

elektrixx

Banned
The remote itself is reconnecting fine. It's the emulated home screen can't detect when it's reconnected.

[edit] I figured it out. I had to press Alt F5.

Medalion

Banned
Oh yeah, I have this problem from time to time, thinking my nunchuck is not attached even though it is.... for some reason I gotta just restart the thing over

elektrixx

Banned
This is the first game I've played on Dolphin. It looks great! I run Skyward Sword at max AA, AF, 1920x1080.

I have an i5 2500K, 8GB RAM and a 2GB GPU.

reektann

There are literally 2 boxes that say disable fog, and disable alpha something, you'll know the ones I mean in the graphic advanced section, the rest I leave defaulted

Of course, this may be different if you have a different revision or older one than me, I use r7719

I'll give it a shot late mate - ta.

Yaska

Help! I made a bunch of progress in Zelda with no native save spot. I left it at the home screen to eat dinner and when I returned my Wii Remote had timed out. It doesn't redetect the controller!

Wiimote options, set it to emulated. get back to game then set it to real again. This worked for me.

Red

Are you guys playing SS with a controller? Or did you guys all go out and get the wiimote etc.
It is impossible to play without wm+.

SteveO, AA works fine for me as well. I have it set to 8x with no issues.

Someone asked earlier about the messed up bloom. I don't know what causes it, but it is present in multiple games. Twilight Princess was especially bad for it. Could be disabled with the bloom hack, but that also flips the screen.

Reektann: is that the issue you're having? It's not actual ghosting, but a ghost image slightly off from the real one? That's misaligned bloom.

Are you guys playing SS with a controller? Or did you guys all go out and get the wiimote etc.

i already have all that. was planning on playing it on my Wii begrudgingly (given how terribly my TV displays Wii games), until i found out shortly before release here in the states that Dolphin ran it pretty much perfectly in HD.

Thrakier

not sure on that one. when i get in tonight i'll fire it up again and see what you're talking about. i remember some shadow flickering and a few other minor glitches. make sure you have safe texture cache enabled... that's all i got for right now without having it infront of me.

Did you test it yet? The sound lag is HORRIBLE in the build you told me to use. Horrible. Like almost a second. Imo it kinda kills the atmosphere.

reektann

Someone asked earlier about the messed up bloom. I don't know what causes it, but it is present in multiple games. Twilight Princess was especially bad for it. Could be disabled with the bloom hack, but that also flips the screen.

Reektann: is that the issue you're having? It's not actual ghosting, but a ghost image slightly off from the real one? That's misaligned bloom.

Yeah thats the one I'm having.. I wonder how I can re-align it. Maybe AA will sort it - hmm.

CSX

I know this might have been asked a hundred times but I have no idea what to buy as a bluetooth device to connect the wiimote to PC.

ALl i have for DOlphin is Fire Emblem Raidant dawn cuz i can use a 360 controller for that.

Can someone link me to what im supposed to buy?

Red

Yeah thats the one I'm having.. I wonder how I can re-align it. Maybe AA will sort it - hmm.
It can't be fixed in Twilight Princess without the bloom hack. MP3 suffers from it as well it seems (going by screens in this thread; haven't tried it on Dolphin myself). I don't think it's likely to be fixed, but thankfully doesn't occur too often in SS.

ShdwDrake

Banned

i already have all that. was planning on playing it on my Wii begrudgingly (given how terribly my TV displays Wii games), until i found out shortly before release here in the states that Dolphin ran it pretty much perfectly in HD.

Ok well my roomate bought the game and beat it he doesnt really play his wii so ill see if I can snatch up his stuff... I just need to hit best buy and get a bluetooth adapter.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thanks for the recomendation Jocchan :) but it doesnt seem to be in the american store. Did you needed to install the included drivers or did windows recognized them nativly?
It included the Toshiba Bluetooth stack, and to be honest I installed that one directly, without trying out the Windows drivers first (they didn't work with my previous Bluetooth dongle, so I just didn't bother).

It included the Toshiba Bluetooth stack, and to be honest I installed that one directly, without trying out the Windows drivers first (they didn't work with my previous Bluetooth dongle, so I just didn't bother).
I think i'll go with this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018O9JIG/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Anyway, i was asking because the OP seems to be making a big deal of the adapters that windows recognize nativly. The bluetooth adapter i put there absolutly needs the drivers it comes with.

Anyway i hope im not wating 12 in that thing for nothing. Im not planning in playing any Wii games but i do want the Wii remote to works as a mouse substitute.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Anyway, i was asking because the OP seems to be making a big deal of the adapters that windows recognize nativly. The bluetooth adapter i put there absolutly needs the drivers it comes with.
Well, the OP seems to be mostly suggesting to not spend money to buy BlueSoleil, as many adapters are recognized natively by Windows.

Which I agree with. My previous Bluetooth dongle came with BlueSoleil 2.0.8 or something, a very old version, and didn't work with Dolphin. So I tried just uninstalling it and using the Windows drivers, but no dice (and I was left with an ugly X on the Windows connection icon, ugh). Instead of buying a newer version of BlueSoleil, I ended up getting a new dongle for half the price, and it works perfectly.

If you aren't losing connection and aren't getting discernible input lag, you probably don't need a new dongle at all.

Deadstar

Is there a specific page that shows how to rip my games so I can play them on dolphin? I want to play Skyward Sword. I don't want to mod my wii if I don't have to. No idea if that is part of it. It's all new to me. I just want to play skyward sword in hd.

Red

Ah, I just ran into my first crash in SS on Dolphin. It's happened twice now, in the same place.

End of the game, but not really a story spoiler. More sidequest-y.

After giving Batreaux 70 or more gratitude crystals, the game crashes when you try to climb back up to Skyloft on the ladder.

Uh

Third time is the charm I guess?

Or what

An error popped up this time that said "You shouldn't be here!" and gave me the options yes or no. I picked yes, then Link completely vanished.

This carries over after you load if you save following it, so be warned people! It's a pretty serious bug.

Revoh

Is Super Mario Galaxy playable with a 360 controllers or you absolutely need a Wii Remote?

I'm playing it with a DS3, so yeah, a 360 controller should play better (native controller support, not having to deal with the awful MotionJoy program, etc). Like a gaffer said on the last page, you can map the Wiimote to your mouse aswell, and move with the 360 controller, go with whatever makes you more comfortable.

Red

I can bypass the crash above by enabling LLE audio, but Link continues to disappear while climbing the ladder. And that's if he climbs it at all. Most of the time he just falls right through it like it isn't there.

He reappears when you enter Batreaux's house, but with a completely depleted wooden shield. You can equip your actual shield if you like and the wooden shield will disappear.

This is a really strange bug.

Ah I know what it is. I have some cheats enabled, this must be a weird side effect of that. Testing now with them off.

Yep that fixes it. So heads up to anyone using the no low health beep/no Fi warnings cheat codes. You won't be able to climb up from Batreaux's place without some really weird shit happening.

Mit-

So, SS works really well, the whole way through, on Dolphin?

I've never used Dolphin before, mostly because I haven't played Wii games in a while, but I'm considering it for SS... Also, does Sonic Colors work really well the whole way through?

I've got an i5 2500k, 8GB of RAM and a GeForce 560 Ti. Is the program stable enough that I'll be able to go through both games with little to no issues?

Tain

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way to use Dolphin in REAL fullscreen? It seems like Dolphin uses "borderless windowed" mode for fullscreen mode, which is why leaving vsync unchecked gives no screen tearing.

The problem with this, though, is the occasional stuttering in 60fps games.

Am I missing something? Or is it really just the one option for fullscreen?

Maan, I must be trying to play the wrong games. I finally got it set up and I can't get The Sky Crawlers Innocent Aces or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles The Crystal Bearers to work. Has anyone gotten these games to work?

Medalion

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way to use Dolphin in REAL fullscreen? It seems like Dolphin uses "borderless windowed" mode for fullscreen mode, which is why leaving vsync unchecked gives no screen tearing.

The problem with this, though, is the occasional stuttering in 60fps games.

Am I missing something? Or is it really just the one option for fullscreen?
In graphics, make sure to have it stretch to length of window so it fills up entire screen

Tain

In graphics, make sure to have it stretch to length of window so it fills up entire screen

I wasn't talking about the aspect ratio or anything, but instead the method used by the renderer for its fullscreen mode.

But! I kinda fixed my problem by turning off the framelimit and turning on vsync. Butter smooth.

hlhbk

I have a question. My specs are:

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 superclocked
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

Should these specs be enough to get 100% speed at 1080P with 2x res, in DX11, at 30 FPS on games such as Windwaker, Xenoblade Chronicles, Skyward Sword and Mario Galaxy 2?

Top Bottom