• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Chris R

defferoo said:
did anyone else notice that the bottom right corner of the screen seems to be running at a lower resolution than the rest of the screen? (i think metroid prime 3 had this problem back in the day but it was with the top left)
I wonder if that is due to the UI? The spider looks great when dropping from above, but the next picture it seems straight out of the Wii.

Diggler

Can we get all the settings and renderer you're using for those Zelda pics? Mine is very pixellated and doesn't have the nice painterly effect, even after EFB to RAM, etc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still need help. =/

I didn't change any settings save for the resolution and the backend. It still just shows black screen with text of code cache.

Durante

StevieP said:
There is literally a 0% chance of Wii U re-rendering (important distinction) Wii games to 1080p. Nintendo, at e3, indicated 100% backwards compatibility. This means there is either dedicated hardware (i.e. the Wii chips on an SoC) or the Power/ATI lineage of the new Wii U chips matches it close enough to provide 100% BC.
This does not imply a "literally 0%" chance. It depends on what level Wii games are allowed to access the GPU, but it's not impossible to render at higher resolution with 100% compatibility.

StevieP said:
In either case, re-rendering games requires software emulation (also known as tweaks for every single game that you want to support)
That's an exaggeration, very much so. Simply proof are all the Wii games released that worked on Dolphin without any changes.

All that said, I doubt that Nintendo will do anything of the sort. But it's not impossible. And I still wonder why they have HD GUI assets in pretty much all of their Wii games.

jediyoshi

Looks like D3D9 handles some of the effects better but doesn't play nice with a lot of the rest of the options. Free cam doesn't look like it breaks anything as well.

dolphin2011-11-0809-1mb8w3.jpg

StevieP

Banned
Durante said:
This does not imply a "literally 0%" chance. It depends on what level Wii games are allowed to access the GPU, but it's not impossible to render at higher resolution with 100% compatibility. That's an exaggeration, very much so. Simply proof are all the Wii games released that worked on Dolphin without any changes.

I don't think anyone can fathom the amount of work that has gone into Dolphin.
But before even getting into that discussion, Nintendo has gone on record and mentioned the Wii BC will be at 480p (just as the GC emulation on Wii was a direct emulation). If only I could find that link...

All that said, I doubt that Nintendo will do anything of the sort. But it's not impossible. And I still wonder why they have HD GUI assets in pretty much all of their Wii games.

Kirby's Epic Yarn had HD texture assets as well. Expect them to re-release some games for extra sales and extra content during droughts (similar how they put out Metroid Prime/Pikmin/etc with wii controls).

Peterthumpa

Did anyone made it work with the Wiimotion+ controller (the one with the Motion+ integrated)? Saw someone saying that it would only work with Dolphin using a standard Wiimote and the Motion+ adapter...

Moaradin

felipepl said:
Did anyone made it work with the Wiimotion+ controller (the one with the Motion+ integrated)? Saw someone saying that it would only work with Dolphin using a standard Wiimote and the Motion+ adapter...

Yup. I have a motion+ integrated controller and it worked great for me.

Moaradin

Tiduz said:
if i understand correctly i can play this with a real wiimote and motion+ but without a sensor bar?

Yes. You will need to use a hybrid controller setup in dolphin though, because the game uses the pointer to start the game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Something about the character shadowing in Dolphin looks weird. Looks like... liquid darkness.

Red

Hey can you guys post your settings and revisions? I'm running 3.153. D3D9 won't work at all (did before, but now crashes at start up), OpenGL works with serious visual problems (especially in the dungeon, looks atrocious), and D3D11 works alright with slight visual issues, but cuts my performance in half.

Re: Skyward Sword demo

Like, jediyoshi's shots retain a dabbed watercolor effect, but for me all those drops of paint look like squares. And there's horrible aliasing everywhere.

Andrex said:
Something about the character shadowing in Dolphin looks weird. Looks like... liquid darkness.

It always looks weird. That's the only thing I don't really like about SS style. The characters always seem to clash with the environment. Link looks sharp while the ground below him is blurry, and he has a faint shadow. It makes him look like he's somewhat floating. It's odd.

masterkajo

Can the Zelda demo also be played on Wii itself? I am asking because I don't have a bluethooth adapter yet and would like to try it out on Wii and then on Dolphin.

EDIT: Was just browsing bluetooth adapters on amazon. Anything to recommend? I'd like it as cheap as possible but still working perfectly. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd gladly appreciate it.

Datschge

Only $3.90 for less annoying posts about not wanting sensor bars and subsequent surprises that the controls feel loose (as itz can't re-calibrate without the sensor bar). Bluetooth dongle for $1.80. I'm sure there are other cheap places for such stuff (the linked stuff work here).

jediyoshi

Datschge said:
Only $3.90 for less annoying posts about not wanting sensor bars and subsequent surprises that the controls feel loose (as itz can't re-calibrate without the sensor bar).
It can recalibrate without a sensor bar, the controls issues are from the emulator.

HooYaH

Tiduz said:
it doesnt work for me in hybrid, asks to connect plus device, what am i doing wrong?

I think hybrid mode allows you to play without the sensor bar not the motion plus device.

Moaradin

Tiduz said:
it doesn't work for me in hybrid, asks to connect plus device, what am i doing wrong?
I had that issue at first. I cleared the controller settings and manually set the IR controls on my gamepad instead of the keyboard and that did it for me.

Thoraxes

jediyoshi said:
Interesting, maybe using OpenGL or some odd setting? Could you take a shot of the bow pulled out to compare? These shots are all maxed out in the settings.

Mmm, the way the shadows meld with the painterly effect.
Well, I just woke up like an hour ago. I'll go play again now and take more screens.
Also I posted two galleries yesterday (which have apparently been downloaded so much as to use up almost 55GB of bandwidth!) but that was in the reviews thread.
http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=fZGeNCpw
http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=ctpiSw9y

Veal

How do you get rid of the crazy corruption that the DOF gives? I can run the game at 1920x1080 at rock solid 30fps, but that corruption...makes me wish my Wii still worked :(

Tiduz

Eurogaime
im gonna try that, also bought the wireless sensor bar, thx for the link. 2.90 euros lol amazing

edit: nope doesnt work, tried 360pad with wiimote

jediyoshi

Datschge said:
It can? What is the point of reference to be able to do that then?
Recalibration consists of laying it down on a surface still.

Crunched said:
I've had no problems.
Have you had no issues with motionplus at all or just not in SS? SS seems to handle it better than most games, I can make it through all of the bird flying without issues. Whenever I need pointing like during item select or sometimes while first person aiming it gets thrown off.

Red

jediyoshi said:
Recalibration consists of laying it down on a surface still.

Have you had no issues with motionplus at all or just not in SS? SS seems to handle it better than most games, I can make it through all of the bird flying without issues. Whenever I need pointing like during item select or sometimes while first person aiming it gets thrown off.
SS is my first use of m+ on Dolphin. Been working perfectly.

Could you post your settings though? Visuals are broken for me. What rev you using?

Haunted

Just bought a cheap Wireless Bar and Bluetooth Dongle.

Trying out this experiment is worth 6 dollars to me. :D

Seeing as I don't have any experience with BT - do you need that Bluesoleil program? And what's this GlovePIE I keep hearing about?

Zomba13

I REALLY need to get my blutooth situation sorted so I can play Zelda on Dolphin when it comes out.

Blutooth drivers seem fucked on my computer. No matter what device I use they never seem to work on my PC but work fine on my laptop. Is there a way to remove/return the bluetooth drivers to default or something? I think it was some blusoleli or something program that fucked it all up that came with the first bluetooth thing I used on this computer I got from my dad.

Thoraxes

Zomba13 said:
I REALLY need to get my blutooth situation sorted so I can play Zelda on Dolphin when it comes out.

Blutooth drivers seem fucked on my computer. No matter what device I use they never seem to work on my PC but work fine on my laptop. Is there a way to remove/return the bluetooth drivers to default or something? I think it was some blusoleli or something program that fucked it all up that came with the first bluetooth thing I used on this computer I got from my dad.
All I know is that the current Windows ones don't work (at least with my dongle), and when the new ones came out I suffered for like 3 days to find out how to roll back the proper way to make it work.

Settings, revision r7719M. Also using D3D11.

0KKiV.jpg
MtAPO.jpg
5eO3B.jpg
4jU6P.jpg
22FEh.jpg

jediyoshi

Datschge said:
And SS sporadicly ask you to do that within the action? I can't imagine this...
It's the same as other motionplus games, it only ever asks you once at the beginning and you have the option to redo it through the pause menu.

Top Bottom