• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jediyoshi

Is there a way to boot to the Wii menu in Dolphin? I've used a bunch of different configs and forgotten what saves are on what config. I'd be easy to look at them in the Wii system menu (and I'd imagine that should also allow exporting to an SD card for transfer to a real Wii).

Download NUS Downloader
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/NUS_Downloader

Extract it anywhere into its own folder and run the exe
Hit the Database button
System -> (towards the bottom) System Menu -> v513
Check the Pack WAD box and hit the Start NUS Download!
After it's finished it should be in (the directory you extracted nusd to)\titles\0000000100000002\513
Take the .wad file and place it in the directory Dolphin checks for your games
Open Dolphin, right click the new entry in your games list, hit Install to Wii Menu

Now to load it up go to Tools -> Load Wii System Menu

Nekofrog

Banned
It's not much compared to some of your guys' shots, but here are a few of mine from pretty early:

untitledcmu8p.png

untitled2wwu1e.png

untitled37fudj.png

untitled419u5t.png

Skyward Sword runs flawless for me. Just got past the first temple. However, Skip EFB Access from CPU needs to be disabled for proper aiming with the slingshot. It can drastically reduce performance, you need at least a 3.5GHz i5/i7 (or around that) to maintain fullspeed at all times.

I'm about to get started in setting up Skyward Sword. What settings do you use and what's your rig?

Edit: Sorry didn't realize all the settings posted on this page. Will try those out!

jediyoshi

And then? I did this already and nothing happens still. Stuck on the same screen.
If it's the Nunchuk screen you're stuck on, hit the Configure button next to Wiimote 1 and in the Extension section dropdown select Nunchuk.

After that there is no seperate option to select GameCube controls, just make sure a GameCube controller is active

(Config toolbar button -> Gamecube tab -> Port 1 -> Standard Controller)

and bind the rest of your keys in the GCPad toolbar button.

kuYuri

If it's the Nunchuk screen you're stuck on, hit the Configure button next to Wiimote 1 and in the Extension section dropdown select Nunchuk.

After that there is no seperate option to select GameCube controls, just make sure a GameCube controller is active

(Config toolbar button -> Gamecube tab -> Port 1 -> Standard Controller)

and bind the rest of your keys in the GCPad toolbar button.

Ok, cool that worked. Now I'm trying to get the game to recognize that I have a gamecube (360) controller plugged in.

EDIT: Ok, figured it out via googling.

jediyoshi

Ok, cool that worked. Now I'm trying to get the game to recognize that I have a gamecube (360) controller plugged in.

Hit the GCPad toolbar button, under the Device dropdown select 'XInput/0/Gamepad' and bind from there

The game won't give you an indication that it's using the GC controller and the Wiimote button graphic prompts will still be showing ingame but it should work identical to the GC controls

Is it normal for there to be like...a ghosting effect around some objects? During opening cinematics of the game so far I've noticed that Link is blurry at times and I can see a ghostly halo/slight double image. I have been using the settings on this page everything is running flawlessly with 30 FPS so far.

Also is it normal for sound to sometimes do a slight glitchy noise? It's not too often but it happens every like 15 seconds or so during these cinematics so far.

Edit: Nevermind the double image thing...it was during a dream sequence and I didn't realize it was going for a blurry effect...haha.

Moaradin

Is it normal for there to be like...a ghosting effect around some objects? During opening cinematics of the game so far I've noticed that Link is blurry at times and I can see a ghostly halo/slight double image. I have been using the settings on this page everything is running flawlessly with 30 FPS so far.

Also is it normal for sound to sometimes do a slight glitchy noise? It's not too often but it happens every like 15 seconds or so during these cinematics so far.

Take AA off and use 4x internal res.

edit: oh lol.

kuYuri

Hit the GCPad toolbar button, under the Device dropdown select 'XInput/0/Gamepad' and bind from there

The game won't give you an indication that it's using the GC controller and the Wiimote button graphic prompts will still be showing ingame but it should work identical to the GC controls

My pad was already configured cause I was playing Twilight Princess before, what I had to do was "unplug" the Nunchuck from the Wii Remote to make the game recognize that I want to use a Gamecube controller.

Sorry to throw a wrench in all the SS discussion but I'm having problems with both Melee and Brawl and was wondering if anybody could help me?

-Melee goes to the black screen with log details in the top left but nothing after that. Can't really seem to find anybody with the same problem but would be grateful if you guys had an idea.

-Brawl doesn't want to be ripped with Rawdump 2.1. Rawdump claims I have a faulty drive yet it ripped all my Gamecube games and DKCR just fine.

Thanks for the help!

Nabs

Sorry to throw a wrench in all the SS discussion but I'm having problems with both Melee and Brawl and was wondering if anybody could help me?

-Melee goes to the black screen with log details in the top left but nothing after that. Can't really seem to find anybody with the same problem but would be grateful if you guys had an idea.

-Brawl doesn't want to be ripped with Rawdump 2.1. Rawdump claims I have a faulty drive yet it ripped all my Gamecube games and DKCR just fine.

Thanks for the help!

Brawl is a dual layered disc, Rawdump may not support it. If you can't use your Wii (CFG loader) try looking for alternatives. I saw a post online about Fridump, and that it took 11 hours to rip Brawl (it takes 20-30min on a Wii). I'm guessing Rawdump is a Windows app, and you're using an LG drive?

Brawl is a dual layered disc, Rawdump may not support it. If you can't use your Wii (CFG loader) try looking for alternatives. I saw a post online about Fridump, and that it took 11 hours to rip Brawl (it takes 20-30min on a Wii). I'm guessing Rawdump is a Windows app, and you're using an LG drive?

Rawdump has an option for dual layer discs but it doesn't seem to help. Yes and it's a GDR8164.

Seik

Banned
So Skyward Sword is working flawlessly? Motion controls and all? Ok, fuck playing this on the Wii.

Yep it works like a charm. :D

The sad thing is that as soon as I installed it on my Wii, I immediately transferred it on my PC to play it on Dolphin and now I'm not regretting it. I just tried to run it on my Wii 1 hour ago and it didn't lasted 10 minutes and I went back to Dolphin. That thing is just delicious in HD.

tiku

I'd like to say thanks too. :) With your settings I was getting 25fps. So the only think I changed was I enabled "Skip EFB Access from CPU", and now I'm getting flawless 30fps at 3x the resolution. (at 4x it drops to 20 to 25 fps.

But now you won't be able to aim correctly weapons like the bow or the slingshot xD

whitehawk

Banned
But now you won't be able to aim correctly weapons like the bow or the slingshot xD
Lemme go test it, brb

edit:... Shit

Why does Skyward Sword use the M+ instead of the sensor bar instead of aiming anyway? It doesn't make any god damn sense. I'm constantly centring it, and it's annoying as hell.

As a heads up, later in the game, I encountered a problem during a boss fight that seemed to be emulator specific.. I was fighting.. did everything that I was apparently supposed to do.. but the boss disappeared and didn't come back..

I ran around the "arena", but nothing happened.. tried re-loading a save, and I was able to do a bit more of the fight that time, but the same thing happened.. I finally gave up and exported the save and copied it back to my SD card and back to the Wii and was able to complete the fight without any further issues.

After that, I saved, quit and transferred it back to Dolphin and it has been fine ever since.

Dungeon Location/ Dungeon boss spoiler below, do not highlight unless you are near the end of the game or don't mind a location spoiler

The Sandship boss.. tentacle monster.. rises out of the water after you defeat 4-5 tentacles.. does not reliably resurface when playing on Dolphin.. it did the first time, but the next time I defeated the tentacles the fight got "stuck" with me running around the "arena" and the boss not resurfacing.

Why does Skyward Sword use the M+ instead of the sensor bar instead of aiming anyway? It doesn't make any god damn sense. I'm constantly centring it, and it's annoying as hell.
I agree, it doesn't matter if it is in Dolphin or on a legit Wii the pointer stuff feels horrible in SS because of it using WM+ instead of the pointer.

Download NUS Downloader
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/NUS_Downloader

Extract it anywhere into its own folder and run the exe
Hit the Database button
System -> (towards the bottom) System Menu -> v513
Check the Pack WAD box and hit the Start NUS Download!
After it's finished it should be in (the directory you extracted nusd to)\titles\0000000100000002\513
Take the .wad file and place it in the directory Dolphin checks for your games
Open Dolphin, right click the new entry in your games list, hit Install to Wii Menu

Now to load it up go to Tools -> Load Wii System Menu
Thank you! I have one other question related to this now. Can I use a USB stick and have the Wii think it is an SD card? I'd use this to transfer saves to my Wii, as I don't have an SD slot on my PC but I have a SD to USB adapter that I use.

Edit:
I finally gave up and exported the save and copied it back to my SD card and back to the Wii and was able to complete the fight without any further issues.
I just noticed this from your post, did you do something similar to what I am setting up in order to export the save or did you do something else?

Thrakier

The guy who claimed SMG2 emulation would be perfect with an OC i5...grmpf, hate you know. Taking that back. It works but it's far from perfect.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So are people using older revisions solely for performance reasons? Or are there newer builds also named rxxxx?

Some games simply work faster or better with older versions. Some revisions break things, or in an effort to more accurately emulate the hardware, make certain games play slower.

bumpkin

I haven't gotten a chance to mess around much with playing any actual 'Cube or Wii games as of yet, but it's pretty sweet finally having a version of Dolphin that works on Mac. That will make it much easier to tinker with writing some home brew. :)

I agree, it doesn't matter if it is in Dolphin or on a legit Wii the pointer stuff feels horrible in SS because of it using WM+ instead of the pointer.

Thank you! I have one other question related to this now. Can I use a USB stick and have the Wii think it is an SD card? I'd use this to transfer saves to my Wii, as I don't have an SD slot on my PC but I have a SD to USB adapter that I use.

Edit:

I just noticed this from your post, did you do something similar to what I am setting up in order to export the save or did you do something else?

No.. I did it the round-about way of copying to a SD card, copying to a usb stick and copying onto my PC..

my mac has a SD Card reader.. so I used that to put it on the usb stick for my PC to read.

Hopefully I won't have any other issues with Dolphin running the game.. the difference between playing on the Wii and playing in Dolphin is just staggering.

Merovin

I was wondering if anyone could help me, decided I'm going to play Skyword Sword on Dolphin after having a quick go on the Wii, now I've connected my PS3 controller with motionjoy via bluetooth in the past, but I'm getting no luck trying to pair up my Wiimote. I even tried going out and buying a bluetooth USB dongle, but that hasn't worked either, any drivers don't register a bluetooth device existing except Motionjoy. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Azar

The guy who claimed SMG2 emulation would be perfect with an OC i5...grmpf, hate you know. Taking that back. It works but it's far from perfect.
You've been in here whining for pages about every little thing when the truth is the game runs incredibly well considering how demanding low level audio emulation is on a CPU. Sorry it's almost perfect instead of perfect perfect.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
You've been in here whining for pages about every little thing when the truth is the game runs incredibly well considering how demanding low level audio emulation is on a CPU. Sorry it's almost perfect instead of perfect perfect.

Out of curiosity what counts as almost perfect? Do ya'll get 60 fps most of the time or is it jumpy and hovers around something lower? How frequent does it drop? With regards to smg 2

Yaska

I was wondering if anyone could help me, decided I'm going to play Skyword Sword on Dolphin after having a quick go on the Wii, now I've connected my PS3 controller with motionjoy via bluetooth in the past, but I'm getting no luck trying to pair up my Wiimote. I even tried going out and buying a bluetooth USB dongle, but that hasn't worked either, any drivers don't register a bluetooth device existing except Motionjoy. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Remove the motioninjoy bluetooth drivers. (They are bit buggy and thus disable bluetooth for all other stuff. )

Merovin

Remove the motioninjoy bluetooth drivers. (They are bit buggy and thus disable bluetooth for all other stuff. )

Okay I'll do that now, I've removed motionjoy, but there's no obvious way to remove the bluetooth drivers. I've checked online and apparently there should be an option in the motionjoy to remove them, but I have nothing.

Edit:- I've now removed two drivers from the device manager, however I'm still having no luck.

masterkajo

Okay I'll do that now, I've removed motionjoy, but there's no obvious way to remove the bluetooth drivers. I've checked online and apparently there should be an option in the motionjoy to remove them, but I have nothing.

Edit:- I've now removed two drivers from the device manager, however I'm still having no luck.

I had the same problem. Be sure to check "delete drivers" (when you deinstall them) in the device manager. What also could work is if you manually know where the right drivers are located manually update your bluetooth drivers by pointing out the path for Windows.

For me the deleting worked.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm going to have to test it against the actual Wii hardware, but I'm convinced Motion Plus through Dolphin has a significant delay compared to consoles. Either that or my controller is busted. When I watch the BitTech video on the swings, it looks way more responsive than my Dolphin setup (and yes, I'm running at 60fps).

Chairhome

Alright so I'm about to get this sensor bar, but before I do, let me get this straight. I connect the wiimote and wii m+ to my computer via Bluetooth, but does the sensor bar have to connect anywhere to my computer or does it work automatically since its wireless?

Sensor in question http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wireless-sensor-bar-for-wii-4-aaa-26893

No, sensor bar does not need to connect to the computer. The sensor bar will be battery powered, and the only thing any sensor bar does is emit 2-4 infrared LEDs used for tracking by the wiimote. That's why you can even use two candles in front of your tv to pretend its a sensor bar (really, it works). The sensor bar only connects to the actual wii for power.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm going to have to test it against the actual Wii hardware, but I'm convinced Motion Plus through Dolphin has a significant delay compared to consoles. Either that or my controller is busted. When I watch the BitTech video on the swings, it looks way more responsive than my Dolphin setup (and yes, I'm running at 60fps).
When I first messed around with Motion+ in Wii Sports Resort there was zero delay, it felt very tight. There is the possibility that later revisions have messed with things or there is faulty equipment. It is capable of being perfect though.

mine feels perfectly responsive whether using the weapons or using the cursor.

maybe the problem is that you're running at 60 fps ;)

Durante

This can heavily depend on the quality of your bluetooth transmitter.

Top Bottom