• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

chunk3rvd

Recently picked up a laptop with the following spec - i3 2.4 GHz, 6GB ram, 1GB GT 630M. Do I stand a cat in hell's chance of running much on this with a reasonable frame rate?

Not looking to play much taxing - just feel like revisiting Monkey Ball 1 & 2 on the GC and would only be outputting to my TV at 720p

The PC version is a bad port of the PS2 version, which has less detailed geometry and textures than the GC version.
Particle effects and lighting are also better on the GC, those were written around the TEV pipeline really so they didn't come across intact in ports.

There's also stories that RE4 actually had light scattering on the GC.

coopolon

You just get it out of the emulated game. To actually get the surround signal you need a receiver that decodes it.

I don't get pro logic 2 out of dolphin over HDMI with re4 and ,y receiver definitely supports it. After researching a bit I was under the impression dolphin can't do it.

Sanjay

Finished replaying Metroid Prime 1-3 on Dolphin. Definitely some of the best looking games to ever grace a Nintendo platform. I love Dolphin.

What kind of performance did you get with Metriod Prime 2 FPS wise? how playable was it? hassle free? crash free? and the final demand, please post your settings :D

What kind of performance did you get with Metriod Prime 2 FPS wise? how playable was it? hassle free? crash free? and the final demand, please post your settings :D

60 about ~95% of the time. Short dips here and there. On a 2500k @ 4.4

Completely playable, hassle and crash free.

Settings were mostly the defaults. Audio still HLE. EFB to RAM for the visors (but that's in the game's config so it will be set regardless). For graphics I used D3D11, force 16:9, 2.5x native, 8 samples AA, 16x AF, and the widescreen hack.

Miker

60 about ~95% of the time. Short dips here and there. On a 2500k @ 4.4

Completely playable, hassle and crash free.

Settings were mostly the defaults. Audio still HLE. EFB to RAM for the visors (but that's in the game's config so it will be set regardless). For graphics I used D3D11, force 16:9, 2.5x native, 8 samples AA, 16x AF, and the widescreen hack.

Could I bother you for your Metroid Prime 3 settings? Thanks!

suikodan

Is there a website that details on how to get RE4 Wii running on Dolphin with the specified mods?

I tried getting the PC version "upgraded" but got an error with the hires movies.

I don't get pro logic 2 out of dolphin over HDMI with re4 and ,y receiver definitely supports it. After researching a bit I was under the impression dolphin can't do it.

Try the LLE Recompiler under DSP settings. It works for me that way. Without it there's no actual rear channels for me either.

You are saying RE4 Wii Dolphin is the best? Can you say what is better about it? Thanks!

RE4 HD uses the same textures as the original, which makes everything look blurry. At least with Dolphin, you can use hi-res texture packs and other mods to spruce up the game a little.

Dr Dogg

Why not just play the PC version? Is this version better?

Well the PC version was one of UbiSoft's bad Capcom ports. It was pretty much broke over in europe until they released a patch which fixed the framerate and control issues and added some better effects but it still had the more basic PS2 models and geometry. Just look at the difference in the branches on the trees.

8105529938_aefab7bcf2.jpg

Wii

8105510855_94ea56c0b6.jpg

PC (patched and modded)

8105528308_5d1938a462.jpg

PS2 (looks great if you have never seen it on GC or Wii otherwise ewwwww)

televator

Prologic over HDMI is sorta vague to begin with. I sorta understood how to get it to work from my PS3 for a while, but I totally forgot now. I can't imagine how confusing it must be to get to work on an emulator using variable PC hardware.

chunk3rvd

How do I go about connecting a Wii remote to my laptop? Couldn't find anything in the OP. An old guide I found online said I needed something called BlueSoleil but I've installed that and it doesn't recognise my internal Bluetooth adapter. Is that still the go to program or has something superseded it?

Edit: Also - I'm worried that installing MotionInJoy for my PS3 controller first may have screwed me driver wise from some horror stories that other people have told. Does anyone have any experience with this affecting things?

coopolon

How do I go about connecting a Wii remote to my laptop? Couldn't find anything in the OP. An old guide I found online said I needed something called BlueSoleil but I've installed that and it doesn't recognise my internal Bluetooth adapter. Is that still the go to program or has something superseded it?

Edit: Also - I'm worried that installing MotionInJoy for my PS3 controller first may have screwed me driver wise from some horror stories that other people have told. Does anyone have any experience with this affecting things?

In my experience you don't have to install anything to get your PC to see your Wiimote over bluetooth (except of course the drivers for your bluetooth). It will just detect it as a default game controller or something. To be able to actually use your wiimote though, you would have to go into the Wiimote configuration in Dolphin and connect it there, or use something like Glovepie outside of Dolphin. Whether or not your internal bluetooth device is compatible you would have to do some googling on.

Re: MotionInJoy. If you are using MiJ to connect your sixaxis to your PC over bluetooth it is my understanding that you cannot also use that bluetooth connection for any other device without uninstalling MiJ. However, if when installing MiJ you were very careful to only install the drivers for the sixaxis/dualshock USB and not any other USB or Bluetooth devices, it should not interfere.

Try the LLE Recompiler under DSP settings. It works for me that way. Without it there's no actual rear channels for me either.

I'll give it a try, thanks. Are you also using a HDMI connection?

In my experience you don't have to install anything to get your PC to see your Wiimote over bluetooth (except of course the drivers for your bluetooth). It will just detect it as a default game controller or something. To be able to actually use your wiimote though, you would have to go into the Wiimote configuration in Dolphin and connect it there, or use something like Glovepie outside of Dolphin. Whether or not your internal bluetooth device is compatible you would have to do some googling on.

Re: MotionInJoy. If you are using MiJ to connect your sixaxis to your PC over bluetooth it is my understanding that you cannot also use that bluetooth connection for any other device without uninstalling MiJ. However, if when installing MiJ you were very careful to only install the drivers for the sixaxis/dualshock USB and not any other USB or Bluetooth devices, it should not interfere.

I'll give it a try, thanks. Are you also using a HDMI connection?
Over HDMI I have to switch from 5.1 to stereo or else I can't enable PLII on my receiver, which is annoying. I just use the normal analog stereo output for Pro Logic business.

Anony

overclocked 2500k to 4.5ghz
overclocked 6870 from 900mhz to 950mhz

still slowdowns
runs 60fps 90% of the time though

BDD71D3349D33F7ED4B232B3A3973242740CBD98

0D15BA5B37A82018FB5BD53ACF32813B2D7D6B9E

side note: fuck the other m haters, it's a good game

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Been lurking in this thread awhile now. Just interested enough with the lull in PC games to give it a try.

Holy.

Shit.

Going down the rabbit hole here. Pulled out some dusty ass Wii games to test this shit out. Better than having them collect dust next to my Wii console... :p

Moosichu

Before I start downloading and setting it all up. Should a 2.4 GHz Intel i7 3630QM and an nVidia Geforce GTX 660M provide a noticeably better experience than my current Wii?

Ledsen

Before I start downloading and setting it all up. Should a 2.4 GHz Intel i7 3630QM and an nVidia Geforce GTX 660M provide a noticeably better experience than my current Wii?

That is a very low clock speed, can it be overclocked? That's basically the most important thing for emulation.

roger carvalho

Neo Member
In the absence of an F-Zero Wii ever came out, I tested the version of GC, below are images of F-Zero GX with filters on Ultra at 1080p.
fzerowii.jpg

Version of GC, below are images of F-Zero GX with filters on Ultra at 1080p.

My PC:
Cpu: 8 Núcleos, Core i7 2600k 5.047GHz l MotherBoard: Asus P8P67 REV 3.0
Gpu: GTX 460 1GB 256Bit 933Mhz GDDR5 l RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3
Fonte: SL-X1000EPS StormPower 1000w Real l Stabilizer: SMS 2000VA/2000W
HD: 3TB SATA III l Connections: USB 3.0, Bluetooth v4.0 Class 1 l Cooler: Master V10
Display: Samsung LCD 40' 1920x1080p HDMI 1.4 l OS: Windows 8 Pro x64bits

31060912.png

20904876.png

302524f4.png

0d308024.png

b322b540.png

027d6077.png

774dceec.png

86f4cbfa.png

b5fd769f.png

416a7f3c.png

Bog

Junior Ace
Is there a site that tells you the best version for each game? I know Skyward Sword was previously best under 7719. Or is everything basically supported under the newest versions?

CPCunha

I got my WiiU on launch (nintendo world store and all) and i'm really happy with it... until i moved back to Brasil... See, i've never finished Skyward Sword and i figured "i'll just play it on the WiiU when i get it... no biggie."

And then the System Transfer thing happened... i couldn't for the love of god and all that is holy, find an SD card that would get recognized... it drove me insane and i ended up packing the Wii.

So now i have an excuse to play the damn game on dolphin... I'm running an oldish I7 with a GTX580... the GTX is overclocked by Asus but my processor is stock. Will it run good? Also, could you wizards point me to a tutorial on running the game, linking the wiimotes and stuff like that? i've never tried dolphin before!

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help, i appreciate it!
-c

roger carvalho

Neo Member
Is there a site that tells you the best version for each game? I know Skyward Sword was previously best under 7719. Or is everything basically supported under the newest versions?

Current stable version is: 3.5-00 : http://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/master/1/

The message below you find on the official website:
"Development versions are released every time a developer makes a change to Dolphin. Using development versions enables you to use the latest and greatest improvements to the project, at the cost of decreased stability." depending on your hardware.

But I always use the latest revision possible,
and never had problems, what can happen is the maximum experience reduced performance, ms does not always happen at least on my PC never had a problem with minimum performance using the same settings in the Ultra and always current revisions.

My PC:
HD: 3TB SATA III l Connections: USB 3.0, Bluetooth v4.0 Class 1 l Cooler: Master V10

merely illustrative image:
Dolphin_Game_List_zps5616a0b0.jpg

roger carvalho

Neo Member
I got my WiiU on launch (nintendo world store and all) and i'm really happy with it... until i moved back to Brasil... See, i've never finished Skyward Sword and i figured "i'll just play it on the WiiU when i get it... no biggie."

And then the System Transfer thing happened... i couldn't for the love of god and all that is holy, find an SD card that would get recognized... it drove me insane and i ended up packing the Wii.

So now i have an excuse to play the damn game on dolphin... I'm running an oldish I7 with a GTX580... the GTX is overclocked by Asus but my processor is stock. Will it run good? Also, could you wizards point me to a tutorial on running the game, linking the wiimotes and stuff like that? i've never tried dolphin before!

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help, i appreciate it!
-c

At least on my intel i7 with you 100% on dolphin using the ultra settings without even over the PC.

dolphin is not as demanding or heavy as it looks

I live in Brazil and am Brazilian
you too?

soup0196.jpg

soup0186.jpg

soup0187.jpg

Woah wait, you can play Wii Ware on Dolphin? How do you do that? I've backed up my Wii nand before and I want to see if I can run the games I downloaded.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Current stable version is: 3.5-00 : http://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/master/1/

My PC:

May I ask how you got your CPU to run at 5GHz??

Are you running all cores at that clock, or is there some way to use TurboBoost
to your advantage to lower power consumption (I don't believe Dolphin can actually use more than 2 cores, at most 3 if you force some things to run on separate threads).

edit: I'm really out of the loop when it comes to PC overclocking, it seems. I didn't even know these clocks were attainable, let alone on 2011 hardware.

roger carvalho

Neo Member
May I ask how you got your CPU to run at 5GHz??

Are you running all cores at that clock, or is there some way to use TurboBoost
to your advantage to lower power consumption (I don't believe Dolphin can actually use more than 2 cores, at most 3 if you force some things to run on separate threads).

edit: I'm really out of the loop when it comes to PC overclocking, it seems. I didn't even know these clocks were attainable, let alone on 2011 hardware.

yes is to use the turbo boost saving.
he just atinhe 5.047GHz with turbo, and that when some application requires much, otherwise it is on 1.6Ghz
open just a music player or internet browser does not he need more than 1.6Ghz then this is always average, rising only in games or heavy applications.
the dolphin uses only 3 cores when it makes use of LLE, but has other options to take advantage of extra cores, and you can choose to setup the motherboard and will use all cores, is going to use all the time or only when accurate, or even leave the windows control using.

I actually did not need to do anything more
in own motherboard utility has pre programmed to do over.

with the arrival of i7 overclocking has become child's play q own bios has all utilities that test your cooling system in the extreme to see how far it supports

Current generation of Core i7 "Haswell" 2013
User is over for anyone from the most basic

d954eb4b23_zps06826424.jpg

c_zps3784def7.jpg

b_zps6c5f52fa.jpg

a_zpscf33d220.jpg

3-1_zpsb901d06d.jpg

2-1_zps3d71d34a.jpg

1-1_zpsf92a4e29.jpg

MysticX

hm, I have a bluetooth dongle and a Wiimote and motion+ and am wondering of selling the classic controller and get a classic controller pro, does that work on wii games as well? and also when I play on my future wiiu, can I use classic pro controller on f.ex. MH that requires classic controller to play?

Top Bottom