• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump signs vague, pro-cop executive orders

Status
Not open for further replies.
You shouldn't be scared, unless you are a criminal.
image.php

Simmins

So these orders basically tell the police to think of something over the next year and report it to the Trump administration. This is a meaningless EO, it's just drivel that really offers no change and seems like an excuse for the administration to pretend to follow through on something when in reality they arent really doing anything at all. The downside to this is it may give police organizations carte blanche to go to town on citizens (minority) rights and make ridiculous demands that may be implemented during the current administration.

Kurdel

Banned
In one year tha committee will be like "Yeah it's been going down for years, your vision of the US is flawed Mr President".

tbm24

This really sounds like Trump and his people just trying to sound tough. It is not specific about anything from what I can tell.

Azuran

Banned
A couple of years from now people will be getting the death penalty for getting caught with weed.

Sessions is salivating at that thought.

sangreal

I might be missing something, but aren't these three EO remarkably vacuous ?
I mean, they read like a campaign speech, full of big intentions and wishful thinking, but they aren't very concrete.

yes but that doesn't make them okay

while they cant actually change any laws or sentences, prosecutors do have extensive discretionary authority and adopting this policy is disturbing

it doesn't help that police are the force authoritarians use to keep the citizenry in check. Even if Trump can't immediately implement any of the goals in this order, it still shows he wants to

These seem to me to be just issuing eos for the sake of it and to say something's being done. I don't find anything in these to be terribly significant frankly, but I haven't spent more than a minute or two reading them.

sonicmj1

So those executive orders are basically:
- Get a task force together to talk about reducing crime
- Prosecute people who kill law enforcement officers more harshly, because that's the issue I guess
- Get a task force together to talk about fighting organized crime

Another one of those administration orders designed to look like it does things without actually doing anything. You'd think they'd have spent the two-and-a-half months before the inauguration actually planning some policy ideas.

Executive Order on a Task Force on Crime Reduction and Public Safety

Sec. 2. Task Force.
(c) The Task Force shall:

(i) exchange information and ideas among its members that will be useful in developing strategies to reduce crime, including, in particular, illegal immigration, drug trafficking, and violent crime;

(iv) evaluate the availability and adequacy of crime-related data and identify measures that could improve data collection in a manner that will aid in the understanding of crime trends and in the reduction of crime; and

(v) conduct any other studies and develop any other recommendations as directed by the Attorney General.​

Does this mean we'll actually get government studies on gun violence?

... Ah, who am I kidding.

Crocodile

It's a bit hard for me to parse what these orders mean exactly and how much teeth they have. They might be nothing burgers? That being said, its SUPER obvious what the intent is moving forward. Complaining about rising crime and violence against police when both have been getting better and the country safer year after year is just code for "fuck you PoC" :/

Happy Black History Month!

sangreal

So those executive orders are basically:
- Get a task force together to talk about reducing crime
- Prosecute people who kill law enforcement officers more harshly, because that's the issue I guess
- Get a task force together to talk about fighting organized crime

Another one of those administration orders designed to look like it does things without actually doing anything. You'd think they'd have spent the two-and-a-half months before the inauguration actually planning some policy ideas.

Does this mean we'll actually get government studies on gun violence?

... Ah, who am I kidding.

From Trump and Sessions? Expect data on how many black people commit crimes. Maybe even a daily newsletter

smurfx

get some go again
they are definitely going to criminalize protesting. that is definitely one of the things the gop is focusing on and they have already started doing that in some states.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/19...ropose-bills-to-criminalize-peaceful-protest/

they can't completely get rid of protesting but any little infraction is going to be made a serious crime until people are too afraid to protest in public where it makes a difference. trump is definitely going to go along with this.

C.Mongler

These seem...okay-ish? Like I expected it to be like "Federal hate-crime with minimum 10 years for resisting arrest", and these just seem like extremely lofty hypothetical orders. Like "we're gonna have MEETINGS to figure out HOW TO STOP THE BAD GUYS it's gonna be 'UGE". Would love to hear some interpretations about how wrong I am.

Though this one in particular:

(a) enforce all Federal laws in order to enhance the protection and safety of Federal, State, tribal, and local law enforcement officers, and thereby all Americans;

...seems like it could be an executive order enforcing weed illegality (among other federal laws that some states ignore) nationally. Not that states that have legalized aren't going to fight tooth and nail if it does.

mike6467

This is a fucking mess.

He has no idea what he is doing.

This is going to backfire.

I'm not convinced this isn't what he wants. All signs say he's trying to instigate shit so they have excuses to take more extreme action (yes, more extreme then this).

Salamando

But with people like Sessions and Trump defining what those enhancements and new laws should be this could get interesting.

Was this EO needed for them to have that authority though? Not really. Feels like something they're doing to get the cops on their side without yet helping them at all.

Ithil

It's becoming clear he just likes signing executive orders and feeling important. Many of them have just been basically "uh, do better?" or "we'll look into doing stuff, but OFFICIALLY".

A couple had immediate direct consequences but most have been total fluff, just there to make it sound like he's doing loads of stuff. More PR trash.

Gutek

It's becoming clear he just likes signing executive orders and feeling important. Many of them have just been basically "uh, do better?" or "we'll look into doing stuff, but OFFICIALLY".

A couple had immediate direct consequences but most have been total fluff, just there to make it sound like he's doing loads of stuff. More PR trash.

It sends a message and emboldens our already trigger happy cops.

ezekial45

Banned
they are definitely going to criminalize protesting. that is definitely one of the things the gop is focusing on and they have already started doing that in some states.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/19...ropose-bills-to-criminalize-peaceful-protest/

they can't completely get rid of protesting but any little infraction is going to be made a serious crime until people are too afraid to protest in public where it makes a difference. trump is definitely going to go along with this.

Yes, that's the plan from the looks of it. Protests are the most powerful tool we've got, and they're definitely going to look for ways to prevent people from doing that in large numbers like we've seen over the last three months. Congress will go along with it easily, especially when protesters are showing up to McConnell's house on Capitial Hill.

I'm not sure how quickly it'll be to get enacted, but I'm certain they're going to try and do it sooner rather than later.

rjinaz

You shouldn't mind the government (or the public now, for that matter) reading your emails or listening in on your phone calls unless you've got something to hide, right?

That's low grade protection. I want cameras in my house being monitored by the police at all times. I know I have nothing to hide. Actually as a single White male in my 30s I should probably be sent to a camp for everybody's safety seeing as how I am a danger to children. Better safe than sorry.

Though it's vague as fuck, it seems like there's a clear intention toward creating more of a police state with no mention of reform in sight. Anyone who is easily identifiable as a minority, start puckering your buttholes 'cause this new AG is a real slimy southern racist who is going to architect your future defilement by law enforcement and the justice system.

Violater

I thought they were gonna go street level and bring back stop and frist aka the good ole days.....
Ef me as if I don't feel uncomfortable enough when I go out or in my own house for that matter.

Morat

Banned
That's low grade protection. I want cameras in my house being monitored by the police at all times. I know I have nothing to hide. Actually as a single White male in my 30s I should probably be sent to a camp for everybody's safety seeing as how I am a danger to children. Better safe than sorry.

960.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom