• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns announced [N-CONF]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mr. Wonderful said:
Does this game have co-op like the old games?

It has co-op like New Super Mario Bros. One person controls DK, the other Diddy, both at the same time.

This is kinda random, but this game artistically is such a triumph. It’s so damn good!

10_10_28_05.jpg

10_10_28_08.jpg

10_10_28_02.jpg

DeathbyVolcano said:
freudian slip?
Must have been.

Rare was always the technical marvel of Nintendo, Retro on the other hand rarely delved into the technical, and mainly stuck with the artistic side of content creation.

They paint pretty textures and craft awesome models is what I'm getting at with great character concepts to work off of. Rare was always best at technical wizardry and couldn't design a visually interesting character if their lives depended on it.

WillyFive

Thunder Monkey said:
Must have been.

Rare was always the technical marvel of Nintendo, Retro on the other hand rarely delved into the technical, and mainly stuck with the artistic side of content creation.

They paint pretty textures and craft awesome models is what I'm getting at with great character concepts to work off of. Rare was always best at technical wizardry and couldn't design a visually interesting character if their lives depended on it.

Hey now. Leave Rare's characters alone. Insulting Rare's designs means insulting every Avatar using Xbox 360 user.

Anyway, imagine a Rare + Retro collaboration had Rare not been sold. And imagine a Rare + Retro + Factor 5 if Factor 5 didn't decide to mess with HD,

Graphics + Art + Performance. Best looking game on a Nintendo system ever?

CurseoftheGods said:
I strongly disagree. I think MP2 is one of the most technically impressive titles on that system.
I'd still give it to Rare with their only GCN endeavor.

Bump-maps, lighting and shadowing, and the heavy use of fur-shading for fur and grass.

Retro has better artistic sense, but almost completely relied on frame buffer effects, and didn't use the TEV anymore then most 3rd party devs. Where they shined was the meticulous crafting they did of the models and textures.

Something I see in DKCR.

scitek

Thunder Monkey said:
I'd still give it to Rare with their only GCN endeavor.

Bump-maps, lighting and shadowing, and the heavy use of fur-shading for fur and grass.

Retro has better artistic sense, but almost completely relied on frame buffer effects, and didn't use the TEV anymore then most 3rd party devs. Where they shined was the meticulous crafting they did of the models and textures.

Something I see in DKCR.

I would counter with "but the MP trilogy ran at 60fps," but then I remembered so did Star Fox Adventures. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Willy105 said:

So good.

The new music really doesnt sound even in the ball park of the DKC trilogy though. The remixes sound pretty good, but all the new music I've heard so far is far too goofy and silly for my likings.

Not big on DK's sound either, but whatever.

EatChildren said:
So good.

The new music really doesnt sound even in the ball park of the DKC trilogy though. The remixes sound pretty good, but all the new music I've heard so far is far too goofy and silly for my likings.

Not big on DK's sound either, but whatever.

Yeah, the music is definitely much more Jungle Beat than DKC. Everything but the gameplay seems more Jungle Beat influenced, really.

Top Bottom