• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Put Off Going To Your Dentist.

dave_d

Forgot to update and say I got my teeth pulled. Went in, got the 2 numbing needles (the goddam second needle gave a nasty pinch), then half my face was numbed. Then the dr got the pliers and my eyes popped open so he had to calm me. Jammed the pliers in my mouth and started yanking. Luckily he was talking me through what he was doing which made me surprisingly calmer. He then pulled out what I thought was a mini electric cutter and started cutting. Then got the pliers again and this is where the horror story begins: MY TEETH BROKE AND I ALMOST SWALLOWED THE DAMN THING! Absolutely mortifying when the Dr had to tell the assistant to make sure I don’t swallow my tooth! He obviously had to calm me down to not worry. Minutes later I was done. I was quite surprised how quick it was. I didn’t feel any pain at least...until 2 hours later goddam!

The worst thing I realized after the extraction was that foods can and will get into the hole that was left back and it’s painful! Absolutely annoying too! Was in pain for a week after surgery. Was freaking out that the pain was supposed to go away after like 3 days and here I am 1 week later. I woke up the 8th morning and the pain was gone! Now I just have a hole in gum (which is supposed to grow and fill (?)). No pain though and I can eat without food getting stuck in teeth hole and causing pain.

Today I went for cleaning and later I will go for fillings. My god what a ride! Time to straighten my teeth now and floss floss floss so this doesn’t happen again!
Well first thing if you're like me you should do IV sedation. Second, did you have a dry socket? It sounds like you did. I'm not sure what the dentists do for that.

dave_d

Thats a completely different type of dentist. The wisdom tooth ones are almost like surgeon types because sometimes your wisdom tooth will grow completely sideways. A regular dentist won't do that type of incision. Plus you need a very heavy hand to pull out a wisdom tooth and not break it in half.
Actually some of the oral surgeons are full blown MDs. The guy who did my implants and extracted a bunch of my teeth is one and does actual surgery in the OR at the near by hospital. He's a bit more expensive. (But it was nice to have him do my extractions since he stitched my gums shut so no dry socket.)

I have no mouth pain, but last time I saw a dentist he went on for a half hour about all the shit that's wrong. Then I moved and forgot about it.

just winging it

Dural

Forgot to update and say I got my teeth pulled. Went in, got the 2 numbing needles (the goddam second needle gave a nasty pinch), then half my face was numbed. Then the dr got the pliers and my eyes popped open so he had to calm me. Jammed the pliers in my mouth and started yanking. Luckily he was talking me through what he was doing which made me surprisingly calmer. He then pulled out what I thought was a mini electric cutter and started cutting. Then got the pliers again and this is where the horror story begins: MY TEETH BROKE AND I ALMOST SWALLOWED THE DAMN THING! Absolutely mortifying when the Dr had to tell the assistant to make sure I don’t swallow my tooth! He obviously had to calm me down to not worry. Minutes later I was done. I was quite surprised how quick it was. I didn’t feel any pain at least...until 2 hours later goddam!

The worst thing I realized after the extraction was that foods can and will get into the hole that was left back and it’s painful! Absolutely annoying too! Was in pain for a week after surgery. Was freaking out that the pain was supposed to go away after like 3 days and here I am 1 week later. I woke up the 8th morning and the pain was gone! Now I just have a hole in gum (which is supposed to grow and fill (?)). No pain though and I can eat without food getting stuck in teeth hole and causing pain.

Today I went for cleaning and later I will go for fillings. My god what a ride! Time to straighten my teeth now and floss floss floss so this doesn’t happen again!

I swear the motherfucker that did my extraction put like four needles worth, going on 8 weeks later and nothing has changed. My tongue and gums are still numb on one side, sounds like there's a possibility it won't go away. :mad:

• Triggered
Reactions: e&e

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
200.gif
What Do You Mean Dental Work GIF
Shark Week GIF
happy homer simpson GIF

dave_d

Don’t know what a dry socket is...
Well it's this. Sometimes what happens is you get a tooth pulled and either the clot doesn't form or it falls out leaving exposed bone. It's one of the reasons after having a tooth pulled they tell you don't suck on anything. No straws, cigarettes, don't suck on anything because it can pop the clot out. I've heard it hurts like hell. (One of the guys I worked with had about as much dental work as I did and got a dry socket. Said it hurt like hell. (Plus one girls from my high school class became a dentist and was warning me about dry sockets.)

nemiroff

Gold Member
I used to hold off because of dental anxiety. But once I discovered benzodiazepines I regularily go for a check every 6 months.. With that said, I've found no mitigation for the costs yet..

Edit: Forgot that I have insurance that covers procedures.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

I started having bad pains with a tooth and went to my dentist and it was an abscessed tooth. He was just a DMD, so I had to schedule an appointment with a different dentist to get a root canal and got antibiotics to hold me off until then. My appointment is Monday morning and I’ll be glad to get it fixed even though it hasn’t been bothering me too bad for the last week.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
haven't been for about 4-5 years. went last month and all i needed was a scale/polish and two fillings. total cost was £42 but that was only because i went with the silver fillings. if i wanted white ones it was going to be £148 :messenger_persevering: thankfully they don't look like they will be too noticeable. i think it's my 1st molars on my left (both top and bottom).

my front tooth looks like it has a crack in it :messenger_grimmacing_ i've never noticed it before. i think maybe it's happened when i got the scale/polish cause the enamel is apparently quite thin. hopefully that doesn't get any worse. also one of my front teeth has been pushed out by my wisdom tooth a little because it had no space. dentist said i'd probably need to get my wisdom teeth removed and get braces again if i want to fix it. said it would likely cost £1,000+ so yeah fuck that lol.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Those mouth butchers. No thanks. Ok maybe but I don’t like the part where they are shoving implements in my mouth trying to take out teeth.

….. I blame marathon man!!!

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I used to hold off because of dental anxiety. But once I discovered benzodiazepines I regularily go for a check every 6 months.. With that said, I've found no mitigation for the costs yet..

Edit: Forgot that I have insurance that covers procedures.
umm, be...careful with that shit. However it's my experience as well. Also you have insurance for dentist? Because health care system payed my liver transplant, but it's problem to get coverage of any dentist procedure. It's almost comically expensive my current GF got one tooth replaced and it cost 80k CZK (4000 USD), which seems comical for 100CZK worth of material.

nemiroff

Gold Member
umm, be...careful with that shit. However it's my experience as well. Also you have insurance for dentist? Because health care system payed my liver transplant, but it's problem to get coverage of any dentist procedure. It's almost comically expensive my current GF got one tooth replaced and it cost 80k CZK (4000 USD), which seems comical for 100CZK worth of material.

I have both a general health care insurance plan through my work and a dedicated dentist plan which I pay for myself. Been using it a couple of times for relatively minor stuff, so I'm probably still in the red.

Yeah, I got some benzos years ago to cope with some stuff, I know the risk, but I've been taking a low dose only once or twice a year (for f.ex. dentist procedures), so I'm good.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Those mouth butchers. No thanks. Ok maybe but I don’t like the part where they are shoving implements in my mouth trying to take out teeth.

….. I blame marathon man!!!
i loved going to the dentist. i found it relaxing and could easily fall asleep while they are working. when i was getting my fillings recently i don't ever remember it hurting that much. i think i'm fortunate enough that i have never had to have any teeth removed and i think if i had to get some out they'd need to gas me up.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Didn't go for 3 years or so because of covid.

My mouth was a wreck, but finally after 2 months of 8-10 appointments everything is renovated, feels good man. Did cost me a few bucks tho.

Last edited:
Same in Germany. The super basic stuff is "free" but anything extra you gotta have deep pockets. A standard dental filling is around €100. Crowns start at €600. Tooth implants start at €1500.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Same in Germany. The super basic stuff is "free" but anything extra you gotta have deep pockets. A standard dental filling is around €100. Crowns start at €600. Tooth implants start at €1500.
EU needs to step up their game, because a lot of people have shitty teeth due to this situation. And dental hygiene is important for overall health.

Kenpachii

Netherlands here, i have 1000 euro to spend, need to pay 25% of that myself every year. If you keep the hygiene and checks up, u will have no issue having good and healthy teeth.

The problem is when u let shit go and not show up, then yea u gotta dig deep. Crowns specially and implants are expensive as hell.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
i loved going to the dentist. i found it relaxing and could easily fall asleep while they are working. when i was getting my fillings recently i don't ever remember it hurting that much. i think i'm fortunate enough that i have never had to have any teeth removed and i think if i had to get some out they'd need to gas me up.
Yeah I needed wisdom teeth out. I have large roots and a mouth that does t open as wide so yeah… fun times.

Top Bottom