• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Jintor

Abi tanking spiders and bees is awesome, but the lack of beard hair really hurts :<

I REALLY need some goddamn gears though, fuck my life

Grimsen

Day 5x, an eye flower started invading my home, so I killed it. Game crashes.

Back to day 41. Fuck you, game.

I think I'll take a break from this game for a little bit. :(

NJShadow

Yes! Just survived Winter!

BePeqjRCIAAgFzY.jpg:large

NJShadow

Now go die to something random! lol

Ha, funny, because I almost did when I was going for some spider webs. Bit off a bit more than I could chew, but made it out alive. The crazy thing is that I have TWO touchstones activated as well. So if a stupid mistake comes my way, I'll have two chanced to redeem myself, lol.

Anyone in this thread platinum the game yet, or at least beat adventure mode? PEACE.

I'm getting close to 100%, but not quite there yet. BTW, for some insane reason this game doesn't have a platinum. Boo.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Adventure mode is the only thing I got left to do.

Made it to chapter 3 and then King of Winter destroyed me.

I thought I had it....

Gathered up 3 of the thing pieces. Only place left to go was blocked off. Lowered my sanity to clear some obelisks.

Rested up to gain my sanity back and woke up to a walrus hunting party. Tried to play it safe and make my escape and ran into another walrus group. So now I got 2 walrus groups after me and then I start to freeze.

I get far enough away from them and drop a piece of grass and light it on fire. Heat up a bit and they catch up. I'm no longer freezing but they're on my ass again.

Eventually a combination of hunger and freezing was my demise.

Staying warm when you're being hunted is kinda difficult.

Anyone in this thread platinum the game yet, or at least beat adventure mode? PEACE.
Doubtful, since less than 1 in 1000 players have done that (according to trophy rarity). I for one don't feel like I'm anywhere near ready to tackle Adventure Mode, as I'm still discovering better paths to success.

For the longest time when I began this game, I just died over and over very quickly. It was getting quite frustrating, and I was contemplating quitting entirely. But then I discovered that you could set the game to easy mode.

It made all the difference. With just a little less survival pressure from fewer balls to juggle, you can actually design and execute long-term plans. So instead of just trying to, well, not starve, you can actually explore the crafting system, collect materials, and try out different approaches. Sure, the base game intends for you to do that in multiple lives, with deaths between. But an easier difficulty speeds up the process greatly, letting you see more hints of the interesting byways and crannies of this wonderful thing Klei has crafted. It really increased my regard for the game quite a bit.

Even my recent death at day 121 (tried very unsuccessfully to protect Chester from a gigantic pack of hounds), losing tons of material and an awesome camp, didn't anger me. I know I can go back and improve again.

And once I think I've got it mastered, I'll crank the difficulty back up and try my hand in progressively harsher worlds.

I'm really enjoying this.

Got to day 29 with Willow. Had a sweet camp set up, Crock Pot, a few drying racks and was warm with my Bunny Earmuffs. Had lots of traps near the nearby bunny hole haven and Beefalo too. Two Touchstones near the camp.

Then I wandered too far off thinking I was set. Ran into Hounds that somehow cornered me . Died, woke up next to touchstone one, thought, I'm good, I'm like 30 secs away from camp. Then the Hounds which were screens away just showed up while I was walking away from the touchstone and got me. Same thing happened to the second stone. They were there as soon as I got up and I had only a sliver of health .

Oh well. Thems the breaks

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Not in the PS4 version, no, but I've finished adventure mode three times in the PC version.

I should probably get around to playing the PS4 version.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't really get this game.

I played for like 4 hours straight before I saved and quit on day 21, after I got past the initial hurdle of the first 5 days of finding a campground, building lots of rabbit traps, and mining hay/twigs for traps and logs for fire I had food, fire, place to sleep, spears to fight off the hounds.

Then from day 6-20 for like the past 3 hours it's been just wandering around not making any notable progress and it's kind of been ...boring.

I'm not sure what to do next? I feel like I'm too weak even with some low armor body suit and low armor hat to fight anything decent, and there's no new items that I'm finding just wandering the map.

I can kill spiders and get silk, catch birds, catch rabbits, catch bugs, I guess I could fish because I can make a fishing rod but I haven't tried, I can kill frogs, and kill the hounds, kill bees and get their stingers.

But all of those things just tend to give me monster meat which I can't eat and don't know what to do with, or food which I'm using to survive. I'm not getting whatever items I need to make new things. I don't even know what things I should be trying to make? Just feels like I've hit a stopping point for a while now, too weak to fight anything that would drop good stuff, and at the max point of being able to build with the currently available items in the world I'm in.

I don't really get this game.

...But all of those things just tend to give me monster meat which I can't eat and don't know what to do with, or food which I'm using to survive. I'm not getting whatever items I need to make new things. I don't even know what things I should be trying to make?
Getting into a "mere survival" cycle can definitely happen. The best way out is to develop your own methods (there are lots to mix and match) of stockpiling keepable food so you only have to gather it every couple days. Have you made the Science and Alchemy Machines? Go through all the possible recipes those open up, and you'll find particular materials you need to gather. Or, if you've finished with all that stuff, start working the Magic tree.

Once you've got some free time not staving off hunger, set yourself exploration quests. At day 20 there's still probably lots of map to explore. There are unusual enemies/layouts/items scattered around the world, perhaps one of those will renew your interest. Or you could go spelunking, which also requires preparation. In any case, the key is to transition from day-to-day food gathering into a looser schedule.

Grinchy

Banned
I started a run with Wendy that I wasn't very invested in. It was the first time I had used her and I just wanted to see what she was like. I came back to the save file tonight and thought I'd try to just see how long I could last knowing that winter was coming and I had done almost no preparation.

I barely made it through the winter. There were at least a dozen times when my food level was at like 10, I was about to die, and I'd just happen to get a rabbit to stay alive a few minutes longer. I had 2 walrus camps right by my camp. They leveled out a bunch of robots, so I had to keep leading them into penguins and spiders just to keep them off of me. Every single day, I had to run to my rabbit area, and these two walrus groups were on the route. I'd be lucky to come back to my camp with 2 rabbits most of the time.

I had 2 touchstones activated already, one being right by my camp. My first death gave me like 50 hunger so I could actually go and catch some rabbits while avoiding walruses. I was at like Day 33 or something when I had no food and I knew I was going to starve to death. I still had another touchstone but it was all the way at the spawn of the map. I died again due to the hunger and just so happened to come back right when winter was ending. I made it to my camp again just in time before I had almost frozen to death, grabbed some logs from my fallen inventory, and lit the fire. Now I'm out of winter and can actually grab food and prepare for more craziness.

It's weird that in this crazy unprepared run where everything lucky that could have happened happened, I managed to get the 2 Accomploshrine trophies. I was cranking that stupid thing while I was at <20 hunger a few times.

doby

Died going into the second winter because I attacked a penguin when I meant to mine rock, cue a mob of penguins after my ass. I cant believe I'm still botching the controls!

All my deaths in this game come from either sheer stupidity or failing to remain calm when stuff kicks off. I get in a real panic if I'm being chased at night with only a torch to light my way, if it goes out I completely freak trying to craft another and die.

What are peoples tips for fighting and killing the bigger creatures? I'm usually too scared to start anything because I know it will almost certainly end in death.

Oh and i really struggle with the treeguard, having him follow me makes me panic and loose focus and its really hard to trick him into hitting some other creature to get him to leave me alone but i guess that's all I can do right? If i struggle handling him I'm gunna be a wreak when any other boss creatures turn up, it makes me question whether I actually want to put the hours in again.

Jintor

Plant pine cones to pacify the treeguard, then avoid provoking him. He's a good guard against stuff. Well no, that's a lie, he's a fucking terrible guard, but at least he's not crushing you

_hekk05

Banned
Plant pine cones to pacify the treeguard, then avoid provoking him. He's a good guard against stuff. Well no, that's a lie, he's a fucking terrible guard, but at least he's not crushing you

Are you kidding? A treeguard is an awesome guard. I pacified one near a spelunking cave to farm batalisk wings. Another near my base to deal with hounds. A third one to kill frost hounds from walrus igloos, so I can kill Mactusks easily.

I wish you could see stats like naughtiness and insulation. It would be very be helpful

Where's the fun in that?

Although insulation you can estimate from the colour of your heatstone.

And if you get too naughty, you can hear Krampus screeching a few naughtiness away from him spawning.

Jintor

Are you kidding? A treeguard is an awesome guard. I pacified one near a spelunking cave to farm batalisk wings. Another near my base to deal with hounds. A third one to kill frost hounds from walrus igloos, so I can kill Mactusks easily.

Hounds just ran around this one in circles and eventually abby dealt with them all :T

Damn this game to hell and back. Every time I tell myself I'm just going to jump on, play through one goal (gather some rocks and gold, ect), I end up playing for hours. Usually until I die. I've been making it through less days each time I play since I take more risks to eek out just one more crock pot or whatever before winter hits.

The only thing I wish was that the "long days" setting was a bit more balanced. It really makes dusk and night too short, to the point that it feels more like a cheat than just giving you some more time during the day. I just make charcoal throughout summer nights and don't even build a fire. Also, your sanity barely moves.

_hekk05

Banned
Damn this game to hell and back. Every time I tell myself I'm just going to jump on, play through one goal (gather some rocks and gold, ect), I end up playing for hours. Usually until I die. I've been making it through less days each time I play since I take more risks to eek out just one more crock pot or whatever before winter hits.

The only thing I wish was that the "long days" setting was a bit more balanced. It really makes dusk and night too short, to the point that it feels more like a cheat than just giving you some more time during the day. I just make charcoal throughout summer nights and don't even build a fire. Also, your sanity barely moves.

I recommend short winters instead of long days if you want a more forgiving experience without feeling like you;re cheating too much.

Besides, it would be better for you to have a few of each, not many crockpots or many drying racks or whatever.

I once lasted 100+ days with 1 crockpot, 2 drying racks, 3 farms and a bird cage.

Replicant

I HATE HATE HATE those Walruses!!! If there's a weapon DLC that'd make it easy for me to hunt and maim them and their hounds, I'd gladly buy it at high price.

_hekk05

Banned
I HATE HATE HATE those Walruses!!! If there's a weapon DLC that'd make it easy for me to hunt and maim them and their hounds, I'd gladly buy it at high price.

You can perma stun-lock walruses and the kid doesn't do anything. Its the hounds you have to worry about.

Replicant

You can perma stun-lock walruses and the kid doesn't do anything. Its the hounds you have to worry about.

He was shooting me with something as I was trying to get away from the hounds. That asshole! I swear I'll have my revenge one day. Can I burn his igloo?

_hekk05

Banned
He was shooting me with something as I was trying to get away from the hounds. That asshole! I swear I'll have my revenge one day. Can I burn his igloo?

Unfortunately its indestructible. The dart travels straight, and you can see it if you pay attention. Run in a weaving pattern and the darts will miss.

I recommend luring the walruses, but keeping your distance, into mobs. The hounds will attack bee hives and get killed by killer bees. Alternatively, the walrus will shoot darts at tallbirds and they will fight to the death.

Replicant

Unfortunately its indestructible. The dart travels straight, and you can see it if you pay attention. Run in a weaving pattern and the darts will miss.

I recommend luring the walruses, but keeping your distance, into mobs. The hounds will attack bee hives and get killed by killer bees. Alternatively, the walrus will shoot darts at tallbirds and they will fight to the death.

I was panicking. I didn't expect him to give instruction to the hounds to go after me. He's the first animal that I've seen talking in this game. So my mind was in between "WTF?! What is he?" and "I have to get away from the hounds" so I didn't think he'd snipe at me. And I just got resurrected too. :/

Jobbs

Banned
finally started a new game. trying woodie this time.

got a better than usual base setup. rabbits and buffalo are in even more abundance and even more close proximity than usual, and I've got one of those weird clockword bases nearby. also: enormous amounts of gold deposits to the north.

as usual, I'm OCD and have planted a lot of berry bushes, twigs, and trees near my base.

I've put down two lightning rods to try and protect my stuff, but I'm unsure of the range of them. is this sufficient coverage?

finally started a new game. trying woodie this time.

got a better than usual base setup. rabbits and buffalo are in even more abundance and even more close proximity than usual, and I've got one of those weird clockword bases nearby. also: enormous amounts of gold deposits to the north.

as usual, I'm OCD and have planted a lot of berry bushes, twigs, and trees near my base.

I've put down two lightning rods to try and protect my stuff, but I'm unsure of the range of them. is this sufficient coverage?

Nice setup. I hear the lightning rods cover two screens so I think you are good.

why 4 crock pots though?

IISANDERII

Somebody should make a spoiler free thread for newbs who can't get into the game because of slow progression. I don't think I've made it passed day 10 because I'll get tired of all the boring little repetitive tasks that need to be done.

Jobbs

Banned
Nice setup. I hear the lightning rods cover two screens so I think you are good.

why 4 crock pots though?

thanks. I don't have 4 crock pots. that'd be silly. I have 5. ;)

step 1: cook meatballs (this gives a bunch of calories and it takes 1 of just about any meat and 3 of just about any fruit/veg/shroom in any combination... I most often use berries, carrots, and corn for this)
step 2: the meatballs when waiting to be harvested will stay there indefinitely, meaning, permanent storage. so even if one crockpot is for primary use, I have several more sitting there with meatballs if I ever find myself in a pinch.

suedester

Banned
How are you guys killing spiders to get silk?

Tent and top hat (for meat effigy) are my two biggest needs right now. . .

Not sure what the most effective method is. You can use traps which is the saffest method. The drop rate seems pretty low so that would take a while. If you kill a queen they drop an egg which you could then plant in a pig village and then sporadically check. No monster meat using that method though.

Survived my first winter!

Honestly, I feel like the setup I have now could go on indefinitely. It's low impact and highly-safe. But that also makes me feel like I'm done. So time to use the summer to explore the map.

One question: I've been relying solely on the beefalo to take care of the hounds. If I go off exploring the map and the hounds show up, other than trying to hide with a berry bush hat, what are my options?

I have one touchstone active, and my goal for this summer is to get a meat effigy up. I have the beard hair, now I just need silk for my top hat. Time to farm some spiders . . .

Probably gonna stream tonight after my gf goes to bed if I'm still alive. This is the best next-gen game so far imho.

BibiMaghoo

Just cleared the first adventure map in 7 days, smashed it like never before.

Then made the mistake of taking nothing with me to the next world. It does NOT restore your health, I died on day 2 :(

I was then killed at the entrance to maxwells door, when returned to sandbox mode.

Fuck this game. I hate you. You ruin my saturday.

Will try again :/

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
How are you guys killing spiders to get silk?

Tent and top hat (for meat effigy) are my two biggest needs right now. . .

Silk is a very common drop for me, spiders either drop that, spider gland or monster meat. Just clear all the spiders from a small nest and then destroy the nest itself and you're guaranteed about 2 or 3 silk as a drop

thanks. I don't have 4 crock pots. that'd be silly. I have 5. ;)

step 1: cook meatballs (this gives a bunch of calories and it takes 1 of just about any meat and 3 of just about any fruit/veg/shroom in any combination... I most often use berries, carrots, and corn for this)
step 2: the meatballs when waiting to be harvested will stay there indefinitely, meaning, permanent storage. so even if one crockpot is for primary use, I have several more sitting there with meatballs if I ever find myself in a pinch.

Yay! This is awesome. Now I don't need an ice box to have some food stored.

Top Bottom