• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Played this a bunch on PC and will download this on PS4 when I get home.

Those that are getting bored, be glad you didn't start out close to the fall. My latest attempt on PC started me in the fall and I didn't have enough time to build up my inventory or bases and now I'm pretty much fucked. Stopped playing because I'm probably going to die within a few minutes.

How are the console controls? Any changes from the PC version?

I smashed a shit ton of boulders.

Guess I just wasn't lucky.

There's at least two types of boulders. The normal roundish light gray ones and the more pointy darker grey ones. The more jaggedy ones have gold in em. I've done 4 runs and only came across them in my first and most recent run.

Agent X

Gold Member
Just tried this puppy, put 15 minutes the game...

It's not my kind of game.

Yeah, I'm not feeling the love, either. I see several people here like it, but it's not my cup of tea.

One thing I've noticed is that if you use Remote Play on the Vita to play this game, it customizes the control display to show the Vita controls.

I don't know how to get gold and after dying 3 times due to mistakes from trying things out; I think I'm done with this because it makes me start over from the beginning and the beginning of the game is too slow.

The boulders with gold literally have gold nuggets all sticking out of the side of them. They'll be visually obvious, and they'll likely be in huge clusters and with lots of enemies or spider nests near. If you get a torch and light it during the day you can light the nests on fire for an easier way of dealing with them.

cheezcake

Ausgaf, are you able to get into PlayStation store? Mine keeps saying network unavailable. Please check your network connection. But everything else works fine on psn

Pastry

Banned
lol i let my sanity slip after eating spoiled carrots and shadow creatures started chasing me. I spent an entire night running in circles around my campfire while my top hat restored my sanity. Right as morning was about to arrive a hound jumped out of nowhere :(

Skyzard

Banned
lol i let my sanity slip after eating spoiled carrots and shadow creatures started chasing me. I spent an entire night running in circles around my campfire while my top hat restored my sanity. Right as morning was about to arrive a hound jumped out of nowhere :(

Sounds so good. Been watching hours of Etho Plays as well.

-I read a post somewhere but I can't seem to find it now but they mentioned that at the late game, there wasn't an ultimate monster to defeat or anything like that? Like they say they got bored - too powerful?
Anyone put in loads of hours (without workshop stuff I guess?) know if it has a decent end game too? Spoilers not too necessary hopefully. Thanks!

OneUh8

Loving this game so far. First two tries I only made it to day 3. Right now on my third try I am on day 7. Saved it and will come back. The game seems simple at first but is very complex it seems. I have a ton to learn about it for sure.

ypo

You can just hold down the X button and press the directional key to collect things if you get tired of pounding on the X.

Concept17

The boulders with gold literally have gold nuggets all sticking out of the side of them. They'll be visually obvious, and they'll likely be in huge clusters and with lots of enemies or spider nests near. If you get a torch and light it during the day you can light the nests on fire for an easier way of dealing with them.

I also found gold nuggets in a graveyard... just hanging out. Grabbed them and nothing came after me.

GHG

Gold Member
Is remote play decent on this one? From what I saw of the PC version it looks like it'd lend itself well to touch controls.

I bought it on Steam for the TF2 items.
3AQmK.gif

I played a little bit. But I got frustrated and died.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Only played a bit but I like it. The first area I started in was super easy, probably could have carried on there forever but I got bored so I jumped down a worm hole and got killed by a bunch of frogs.

I LOVE the art style. It looks great and animates well.

Sophia

Is remote play decent on this one? From what I saw of the PC version it looks like it'd lend itself well to touch controls.

Remote Play works fine with one caveat: The touchpad on the back is used to control the camera and is notoriously sensitive like most Remote Play games.

Other than that, it plays pretty much perfectly. The slower paced nature of the game would probably even let you play anywhere if you have a strong connection.

Malreyn

I gave it a whirl, and understood that this game's all about trial and error to see how long you can last and to get better and better at the game to survive longer....i just don't have the time or the attention span for this game.

Edit: If i really had the time to sit down and give this game a chance, i'm gonna have to do so as part of clearing my backlog

Saganator

I can't find it on EU store anywhere. Anyone knows when it comes out?

That sucks, wonder if they're going to hold it hostage for EU like they won't release War Thunder for NA.

Enjoying the game so far. Simple, but not. Love all the little tricks you can figure out. I made it to day 7 on my 3rd try. I had a great map, found a bunch of gold and had plenty of little bunnies to trap. I was finally starting to dive into more of the advanced crafting things and totally forgot to look at my hunger meter. Starved to death while going through the crafting menu. I had plenty of cooked food on me =[

Are there any items that I should just not ever bother picking up? At around day 4 or so, my inventory gets pretty full, trying to figure out what items I should just leave alone until later in the game. Is there an ending to this game?

Only played a bit but I like it. The first area I started in was super easy, probably could have carried on there forever but I got bored so I jumped down a worm hole and got killed by a bunch of frogs.

I LOVE the art style. It looks great and animates well.

Dude, make some animal traps and set them near the areas you ran into frogs. Easy way to keep some dinner on hand in case you get in a bind.

I used to get torn up by frogs until I realized they could be trapped just like rabbits and birds. If you aren't having luck trapping them, get one to chase you past a trap and it will grab him.

Made it to day 10 had the science and alchemy thingys. Went to go get some more gold from the boulder area ended up seeing a egg....Tried to steal the egg and got chased by the huge skinny leg eye guys and got killed. Oh and i killed a giant tree creature at around day 7 or 8 that had been hounding me for a day. Figured out you can't kill him with the fire pit but you can light him on fire with a regular camp fire.

GHG

Gold Member
Remote Play works fine with one caveat: The touchpad on the back is used to control the camera and is notoriously sensitive like most Remote Play games.

Other than that, it plays pretty much perfectly. The slower paced nature of the game would probably even let you play anywhere if you have a strong connection.

Perfect. Will give this a whirl tonight in bed before i go to sleep. Ive had this in my steam library but havent got round to playing anything on my PC since i got my PS4.

Are there any items that I should just not ever bother picking up? At around day 4 or so, my inventory gets pretty full, trying to figure out what items I should just leave alone until later in the game. Is there an ending to this game?

-everything has its use. Check out the Don't Starve wiki on what stuff does. It won't spoil anything either.

-make a science machine and a chest to store things in. Makes life so much easier being able to store things and use gold to research new items and buildings.

-once you figure things out naturally, you'll find your groove and will be able to make lots of progress in very little time each time you die. There is no end to the game other than unlocking more and more things until you have survived for so long that you're no longer in danger of dying even through season changes.

I think my best on PC was 3 seasons. Didn't check my day count. Winter is a fucking asshole.

Jobbs

Banned
Love it with a controller on my big tv. ;)

I played it on steam in early access a long time ago, but haven't been staying current.

I could be misremembering, but it I recall it being easier to stay fed before. Now? I starved after 9 days. I went out by attacking a bee hive while dying and starving and starting to go insane. XD

I couldn't seem to catch any birds, ever, after catching the first one. (using the bird trap) What gives?

Saganator

-everything has its use. Check out the Don't Starve wiki on what stuff does. It won't spoil anything either.

-make a science machine and a chest to store things in. Makes life so much easier being able to store things and use gold to research new items and buildings.

-once you figure things out naturally, you'll find your groove and will be able to make lots of progress in very little time each time you die. There is no end to the game other than unlocking more and more things until you have survived for so long that you're no longer in danger of dying even through season changes.

I think my best on PC was 3 seasons. Didn't check my day count. Winter is a fucking asshole.

Ok, I'll check out the wiki. I thought about reading it but I kind of want to just figure things out as I go.

Lucent

Game is pretty good! Gotta manage time appropriately. Died my first night on first attempt.. lol

I made it to day 7. I could've made it to day 8, but I got in a fight with some red bees. Not a good idea. =l

There are a lot of things to craft in this game. Def gotta weigh your choices. And it's funny because, even though it's called Don't Starve, I keep forgetting to eat sometimes. I get so caught up in farming materials, I forget to eat.

And I eventually learned that staying in one camp isn't a good idea after awhile. It seems like some materials just aren't in some areas.

Also, I finally realized you have to press the touchpad to bring up the map. I was wondering how I was supposed to find my camps. Though campfires aren't marked on the map. I guess you'd have to put them in unique looking places.

Saganator

Also, I finally realized you have to press the touchpad to bring up the map. I was wondering how I was supposed to find my camps. Though campfires aren't marked on the map. I guess you'd have to put them in unique looking places.

I usually set my campsites up near bunny holes, then I set traps on the holes. If you do that, then you just have to locate your traps. Have you made a permanent camp fire yet? Maybe those show up on the map.

Lucent

I usually set my campsites up near bunny holes, then I set traps on the holes. If you do that, then you just have to locate your traps. Have you made a permanent camp fire yet? Maybe those show up on the map.

I've made permanent campfires, but that was before I realized the map was there. I checked the controls after I died and saw the map button. Started a new game to see how the map looked. Then I only got enough materials to make a normal fire and it didn't show up. I guess it's possible permanent ones could show up since they don't turn to ash.

jiiikoo

Banned
Gonna snatch this up when it hits the EU store. Still didn't see it in my store, but like the update on the first post said, it's not 5PM yet.

Hydrargyrus

Well, PSN+ delivering as always.

It's the best service I've ever bought.
Only this month: Don't starve, Borderlands 2 and DMC... And if you have the american PSN+ it's even better!!!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I've made permanent campfires, but that was before I realized the map was there. I checked the controls after I died and saw the map button. Started a new game to see how the map looked. Then I only got enough materials to make a normal fire and it didn't show up. I guess it's possible permanent ones could show up since they don't turn to ash.

Fire pits do show up on the map, as do pretty much all structures. Once your camp gets established it'll be a gigantic mass of map markings that you really can't miss.

Sounds so good. Been watching hours of Etho Plays as well.

-I read a post somewhere but I can't seem to find it now but they mentioned that at the late game, there wasn't an ultimate monster to defeat or anything like that? Like they say they got bored - too powerful?
Anyone put in loads of hours (without workshop stuff I guess?) know if it has a decent end game too? Spoilers not too necessary hopefully. Thanks!

There's no last boss or anything, if that's what you're asking. There are a few beasties which could be considered bosses of a sort, but they're not one-of-a-kind (though one of them has a finite number of spawns per world, as I recall) and there's no overt "Congratulations!" sort of message for defeating them.

There's no victory condition for the main survival mode, you just keep playing it, building your base up, and avoiding death. It's essentially a randomly-generated sandbox. The game's Adventure Mode is the objective-oriented portion of the game, and is basically a series of challenge maps. That mode does have a win condition, and there's a reward for completing it. It also contains what there is of a story in Don't Starve.

The non-Adventure Mode end game, such as it is, basically consists of building up an invincible base camp, exploring the world, and then ruthlessly bending it all to your will. The game's never going to tell you to stop unless it's by killing you.

kurbaan

Banned
Damn this game is pretty good. It doesn't seem like much at first but makes you keep playing.

Got to day 9 on my second try. Was doing so good, had a backpack and lot of things. But I camped kind of near one of those big houses and the sleeping pig went crazy and killed me. I should have killed it when i had the chance.

todahawk

sweet john candy i can't wait to see the reactions when you guys discover some of the later creatures!

giphy.gif

little tip, you can feed the pigs... try some meat. but trust nothing, so much shit can kill you and kill you fast.
oh, and I usually make my permanent camp (ideally) at an intersection of three biomes and hopefully near a road. some of the more dangerous areas have the best stuff too (swamps, caves, etc.)

Pimpwerx

I thought I made it 7 days my first playthough, but my morgue says 6. I just finished my second attempt and made it 22 days. I could have kept going, but it's 2am right now and I decided to attack a gang of penguins, only to get pwned.

I think winter comes around day 21. I need to time a day cycle, because that 22 days felt like an eternity.

I haven't found adventure mode, or whatever. I'd like to give it a try though. I think I've gotten a hang of the hunter-gatherer routine. I had a perfect base camp. I had a huge grass plain with rabbits to my south, a ton of rocks and a graveyard to the east, and flowers, frogs, mandrakes and a paved road to my west. I collected, cooked and ate 4 mandrakes to boost my days. They only give you one day, but it's a nice way to jump ahead.

I made it those 22 days after using a touchstone on day 14. I'd actually made it to day 20 or so, unscathed, and I'd just gathered 3 or 4 mandrakes, and the game crashed on my way back to camp. Luckily, I'd found a cave on day 12, so the autosave brought me back to then. I was kinda mad, so I bumrushed back to where I dropped all my goodies (only one mandrake was in my loot), and ended up getting killed by darkness because I didn't realize mandrakes could run from you. LOL! I was chasing it for a minute, and then darkness fell. I had no materials for a torch, so....yeah. Mandrakes all live in the wrong part of town. LOL!

Anyway, I'll play more tomorrow. Is it worth trying out the new characters, or should I stick with the default guy until I unlock everyone? PEACE.

EDIT: Wait...there's a map? Well fuck me, that'll make my life a lot easier. I've kinda limited my range of movement so I can always find my way back to a fire pit by nightfall. So I tend to move in the cardinal directions. Makes backtracking really easy, but a map will be so much better. That'll teach me for not paying attention.

mstevens

I feel like I'm good at the hunter gatherer part, but I'm missing something as far as setting up a farm/base camp. I'm trying to get a pig village on my side but I can't come up with an efficient way of getting meat for them regularly... any suggestions?

todahawk

I thought I made it 7 days my first playthough, but my morgue says 6. I just finished my second attempt and made it 22 days. I could have kept going, but it's 2am right now and I decided to attack a gang of penguins, only to get pwned.

I think winter comes around day 21. I need to time a day cycle, because that 22 days felt like an eternity.

I haven't found adventure mode, or whatever. I'd like to give it a try though. I think I've gotten a hang of the hunter-gatherer routine. I had a perfect base camp. I had a huge grass plain with rabbits to my south, a ton of rocks and a graveyard to the east, and flowers, frogs, mandrakes and a paved road to my west. I collected, cooked and ate 4 mandrakes to boost my days. They only give you one day, but it's a nice way to jump ahead.

I made it those 22 days after using a touchstone on day 14. I'd actually made it to day 20 or so, unscathed, and I'd just gathered 3 or 4 mandrakes, and the game crashed on my way back to camp. Luckily, I'd found a cave on day 12, so the autosave brought me back to then. I was kinda mad, so I bumrushed back to where I dropped all my goodies (only one mandrake was in my loot), and ended up getting killed by darkness because I didn't realize mandrakes could run from you. LOL! I was chasing it for a minute, and then darkness fell. I had no materials for a torch, so....yeah. Mandrakes all live in the wrong part of town. LOL!

Anyway, I'll play more tomorrow. Is it worth trying out the new characters, or should I stick with the default guy until I unlock everyone? PEACE.

the unlockable chars are pretty balanced with pros and cons. I had fun trying them out as I unlocked them. makes you appreciate some of what the other characters can do.

yeah, penguins are nasty and winter is a complete bitch. heat stones are essential.

graveyards have some good loot but watch your sanity levels, you can go insane pretty quick.

another tip, watch the health, hunger and sanity meters when you eat things to see what they do. some food can help one or two areas while hurting the third. even if you don't farm try to get a crock pot crafted asap, lots of recipes and generally much more efficient if you get creative and pay attention.

Damn, it's still saying it's locked for me even though I downloaded it and have PS+. Tried deleting and redownloading a few times to no success.

todahawk

I feel like I'm good at the hunter gatherer part, but I'm missing something as far as setting up a farm/base camp. I'm trying to get a pig village on my side but I can't come up with an efficient way of getting meat for them regularly... any suggestions?

rabbit meat, especially if you're near a savannah and can set up multiple traps. they only remain friendly for about a day per feeding. if you don't have access to lots of rabbits near teh pigs i've kited spiders from a single egg nest to harvest monster meat with the side bonus of the chance for silk or glands.

even one pig on a semi-regular basis can be handy. start chumming up with one at a time if you don't have a ton of food. i usually start in the morning with them and have a task or two in mind to complete.

if you have vegetables or whatever teh pigs will still eat it but won't follow. there's still a benefit but i'll let you figure that out if you haven't already

Zee-Row

Banned
I've made it to day 17 my second run. Once during the night i gotta attacked by 2 creatures but killed them. I wonder if the game is going to start throwing hard enemies at me. it seems hard to attack those frogs without them swarming and hitting you. Those frog legs keep me full though.

IMACOMPUTA

Made it to day 13. I was fuckin set. Had an awesome spot with tons of resources and had just gone on a successful food run.
Except I was playing on vita with no sound and didn't realize I was starving while looking through my crafting menu. It was night so I didn't notice the grape jelly all over my screen and I just died out of nowhere :/

It's awesome on remote play but the text is sooooo small. Wish there was a vita text option.

Top Bottom