• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (2016) free trial coming to PS4/XBO/PC for this week only

Lanrutcon

I have no idea why, but it's running like utter shit on my PC (i5 4460, 16gb ram, 4gb 380), far worse than anything else I've played on it, and changing settings seems to do bugger all. It's a constant sub 30fps, even on lowest settings.

I checked the drivers and they're all up to date, there doesn't seem to be anything else running in the background, and I'm hitting a pretty consistent 60fps with no dips past 50 on Rise of the Tomb Raider at mostly high with a few very high settings, so I'm kind of flummoxed as to where the problem is.

Thankfully though it looks gorgeous and plays perfectly on my PS4, so I'll just get it on that, but if anyone has any suggestions for what the hells up with it on my PC I'd be grateful.

Had to same issue, jumped to the newest drivers (clean install), then bam: expected framerate.

Rur0ni

Butter smooth on my system (3930k, 64GB, 980 GTX). Great presentation too. Game was clearly made for PC bouncing through the menu, etc. Really appreciate the effort gone into that.

Unfortunately it just feels very busy from a gameplay perspective... and makes me long for CS:GO lol. Gettin' old, man.

SeeThree

This game made my head feel hot and my stomach started feeling sick.

Haven't felt this sensation from a game since Duke Nukem on a friends PC like 15 years ago.

HussiZooT

I tried it on my PS4 and I have to say, this game DESERVES a mouse and keyboard setup. The way it plays, the speed and intensity, my analog sticks just cannot keep up. I feel like an idiot playing this game on my PS4.

Or maybe that's just me.

DonMigs85

I have the exact same processor..How much ram are you using? In which games do you get limited by the cpu instead of the gpu?
I have 8GB and this game peaks at around 5GB. Of the games I own, Ryse and Rise of the Tomb Raider seem to be the most CPU-limited and hover between 30-40fps regardless of graphics settings. Most other games can still hit 50-60Fps.

t0va

I tried it on my PS4 and I have to say, this game DESERVES a mouse and keyboard setup. The way it plays, the speed and intensity, my analog sticks just cannot keep up. I feel like an idiot playing this game on my PS4.

Or maybe that's just me.

Try dialing down look acceleration, use high sensitivity, and use the "Tactical" controller preset. Jump should be L1 and switch weapons to R1. This makes jumping while moving and aiming much more seamless. I dont know why this isnt the default preset. X = jump....in DOOM? Really?

HussiZooT

Try dialing down look acceleration, use high sensitivity, and use the "Tactical" controller preset. Jump should be L1 and switch weapons to R1. This makes jumping while moving and aiming much more seamless. I dont know why this isnt the default preset. X = jump....in DOOM? Really?
Hmm... that might help with the awkward jumping and shooting I'm facing right now.

I'll give it another go.

InPlosion

I have 8GB and this game peaks at around 5GB. Of the games I own, Ryse and Rise of the Tomb Raider seem to be the most CPU-limited and hover between 30-40fps regardless of graphics settings. Most other games can still hit 50-60Fps.

Thanks, unfortunatly ddr2 ram is hard to come by nowadays. But good to know that this old cpu can still kick some ass, even when paired with a newer gpu!

DonMigs85

Thanks, unfortunatly ddr2 ram is hard to come by nowadays. But good to know that this old cpu can still kick some ass, even when paired with a newer gpu!
Oh also Far Cry 3 and 4 can't hit 60FPS, 40-45 is the most I can generally get out of them.
You can probably find used DDR2 RAM pretty cheap on eBay or Craiglist and the like, but yeah not worth spending more than maybe $10 per 2GB stick.

Canadian

I played through the demo on Xbox this morning and had a great time with it. Initially the settings for aiming were a little stiff, especially with how fast the movement is. I had to adjust it but found something I was happy with.

I played on Ultra Violence and felt it was the right amount of challenge. I died but that would be because I got myself in a stupid situation, or shot barrels to close to me. It never felt like an unfair death. The game plays fast and feels great.

The game reminded me of Bulletstorm. Fast, frantic, and over the top shooting. I had a blast playing through that game as well. It would be cool if Doom had a score attack mode so that you would get points based on combos and speed.

DragonNC

Demo runs damn grate on my PC , constant 60fps.Phenom II 965 , 8GB DDR3 ram , nvidia GTX 960 4GB ram , 1080P setings on ULTRA.

Going to get it now.

not sure if I checked the AA option, i'll have to revisit it later and see if I missed anything

Well this demo and it's performance was great, consant 50 to 60 fps with almost every thing on high. So I went and bought the game, again great performance on the first level, get to the second level....30fps or worse. Oi oi

Oh well, I am not that bothered. I will be buying a new machine sometime next year so I will replay it then. Till then I will stick with my PS4 copy.

Holy.

I really did not rate the multi player beta. I'd heard the hype for the single player.

And, well, it is just phenomal fun.

Action, fast paced, no lengthy cut scenes.

I really hope this Demo gets them some sales. What a great 30 minutes I just had.

Will buy after pay day.

Zambatoh

The demo actually capped itself to 30 FPS on my PC. I've never seen a 60 FPS game do that on it's own before and there's no toggle for it that I can see.

It's totally playable though, so that's all I really needed to see from it. I even did a run on Nightmare and had a blast.

moonbeam

This game made my head feel hot and my stomach started feeling sick.

Haven't felt this sensation from a game since Duke Nukem on a friends PC like 15 years ago.

I got motion sick from this as well.

Try changing the FOV to 120 degrees. This apparently helps and is an option available on consoles as well.

So is this demo going to stop being active in my steam library if I don't play it today or tomorrow? I'm pretty sick with the flu at the moment but wanna give it a try. If I download it can I play when I want or is it done after tomorrow?

DonMigs85

The demo actually capped itself to 30 FPS on my PC. I've never seen a 60 FPS game do that on it's own before and there's no toggle for it that I can see.

It's totally playable though, so that's all I really needed to see from it. I even did a run on Nightmare and had a blast.

You might have to restart Windows or do a clean driver install with the latest drivers.

tried the demo as soon as it was up.

now I'm 10 hours into the full game lmao and all I've done so far is replay the first three levels to grab all the secrets

fucking DOOM, yo. Shooter of the year beyond a shadow of a doubt. I haven't tried Snapmap yet but I heard it's using multiplayer balance and mechanics? Bah. The day people are able to use it to craft single player levels that use the single player balancing, I'm gonna lose myself to this game.

Sober

In game v-sync apparently caps you at 30 or something. There seemed to be a bit of noticeable but infrequent tearing with adaptive. I would maybe try doing it at driver level instead.

A-V-B

tried the demo as soon as it was up.

now I'm 10 hours into the full game lmao and all I've done so far is replay the first three levels to grab all the secrets

fucking DOOM, yo. Shooter of the year beyond a shadow of a doubt. I haven't tried Snapmap yet but I heard it's using multiplayer balance and mechanics? Bah. The day people are able to use it to craft single player levels that use the single player balancing, I'm gonna lose myself to this game.

It's coming. It was part of the Bethesda E3 conference. SnapMap is about to get single player features, the major one being a full weapon wheel.

boltz

Tried the PC demo and it ran smooth as silk with ultra settings on my alienware 15 R2 laptop. I had fun with the demo, but by the end of it, it felt a little stale. Is there more diversity in terms of environments, weapon types, and enemies in later levels?

A-V-B

Tried the PC demo and it ran smooth as silk with ultra settings on my alienware 15 R2 laptop. I had fun with the demo, but by the end of it, it felt a little stale. Is there more diversity in terms of environments, weapon types, and enemies in later levels?

Absolutely. It keeps amping up throughout the game, and gets absolutely wild about halfway in. The first level is basically a tutorial.

I would also recommend playing on Ultra Violence unless you're inexperienced with first person shooters. It has the perfect amount of risk and reward for the first time through.

PFD

I played the demo yesterday, was way too short! I need more!!!

It ran silky smooth at 1440p/100FPS on my 980Ti/4790K.

boltz

Absolutely. It keeps amping up throughout the game, and gets absolutely wild about halfway in. The first level is basically a tutorial.

I would also recommend playing on Ultra Violence unless you're inexperienced with first person shooters. It has the perfect amount of risk and reward for the first time through.

Ok, cool, I was playing it on "hurt me more" and I pretty much breezed through it, so I'll give it a shot on ultra violence.

A-V-B

Ok, cool, I was playing it on "hurt me more" and I pretty much breezed through it, so I'll give it a shot on ultra violence.

Hurt me more? :D

GrayFox1I3.png

Have fun.

wojtasz

Banned
What a dissapointment... for a single lvl demo to be announced on stage. What has happened to the industry? And only for a week. Oh thank you Bethesda for releasing a week valid demo for a game that came out over a month ago. Thank you. Why arent ppl outraged by this?

finally, FINALLY, got around to playing the 1st level demo. So good and played it on the highest difficulty available. Only died once. Performing glory kills over and over may feel repetitive/tedious, but it feels so awesome. I really should have bought the game Day 1.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Goddamn it Bethesda. The demo took me about 15 minutes and I loved it. It's just, it took me 15 minutes. I don't have the money to actually buy Doom right now, and after the demo I definitely want to... but come on, would it have killed you guys to put just a tiny bit more in there?

It's kind of brilliant really, just enough of the game to get you excited about it but not nearly enough to ever satisfy you. It's amazing how high quality it is though, that I was able to spend so little time with it and get completely sold on it. Definitely looking forward to picking this up later in the year.

ss_lemonade

Just bought the game recently and boy does it ran pretty bad on my laptop. In theory, wouldn't a 970m/i7 6700hq machine at least run the game similar or better than the console versions? Changing settings doesn't seem to make much of a difference too.

grmlin

So finally remembered to install this on my fairly old machine with an AMD X6 1055T and an AMD 7950. This game feels amazing!

It does run pretty good in the beginning. Will I have performance problems later on? I remember pretty open levels with a shitton of things shooting at you watching some videos.

I could get it for my PS4, too, but I don't think I can deal with a FPS of that speed with a DualShock.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Running this through the first time it weirdly stuttered and stalled repeatedly in the intro credits - when i actually got to the game itself it was fine. I knocked the resolution down as i'm playing on a laptop that's a couple of years old, but i had a blast and I'd definitely pick this up somewhere down the line.

Top Bottom