• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom (2016) PC performance thread

Look, if the poor performance of AMD cards in this game is true as shown above then people should be warned before they buy. I feel like making a thread on this. Am I allowed to do that?

I'm just pissed right now that I am not getting the performance that I have come to expect from my card with this game. It really sucks because I am a sucker for old school shooters and from what I played I can see that there is something special here just like in Wolfenstein which is one of my GOATs.

What makes it worse is that Nvidia have the majority market share and it seems like most complaints that we AMD owners have are drowned out and ignored by those enjoying the game flawlessly.

its not uncommon for a patch and/or driver to give AMD a massive boost in performance in these situations. AMD sometimes needs a couple weeks. never a guarantee tho

moop1167

Why is the framerate locked at 60 with vsync off? Am I doing something wrong?

I see people saying they have above 60...

bah, scratch that I'm dumb, it's unlocked now.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have to say playing this on mostly max settings on a massive 150 inch 1080p projector screen with high quality 5.1 audio is quite an experience.

nOoblet16

So I'm getting mostly 60FPS (capped it at 60) with dips to 50-55. I guess Vulkan should bump it up to solid 60 or atleast very close.

4k works surprisingly well if you don't mind frame drops. This is one of the few games where running with an unlocked framerate doesn't give me blatant screen tearing. On an OC'd 980ti and my frames are generally between 50-80, depending on what's going on. Everything maxed (aa at taa) and motion blur turned off.

When is Vulkan coming.... my lowly 760 is getting rekt when I try to play this game past 720p lawl.

Such a great looking game though, a miracle is what these new shader systems provide... awesome stuff.

There's no firm date, but the intention is to patch it in soon after release, so hopefully we're looking at no more than a week or two.

Edit: Regarding the broken OP:
Oh.

God I hope so, I'm getting murdered on my FPS all over even at high settings on a 2 GB 760..... I need next-gen driver Vulkan plis!

I'm stunned the consoles are running this at 1080p60 while it's making my PC cry silicon tears... jeebus.

Really want to see what difference it makes for me give the seemingly more than 2x performance boost it gave to the 1080..... apparently it went from 55 fps in OGL to 200 fps in Vulkan.... ok more than 2x :p

MDave

Vsync off, and I can't see any screen tearing. Hitting between 70-90 fps. Even with motion blur completely turned off, as this sometimes hides screen tearing in games pretty well depending on its implementation.

What is this wizardry ...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Really want to see what difference it makes for me give the seemingly more than 2x performance boost it gave to the 1080..... apparently it went from 55 fps in OGL to 200 fps in Vulkan.... ok more than 2x :p

That was a misunderstanding. It wasn't OpenGL -> Vulkan, but rather Vulkan with vsync on -> Vulkan with vsync off.

Vsync off, and I can't see any screen tearing. Hitting between 70-90 fps. Even with motion blur completely turned off, as this sometimes hides screen tearing in games pretty well depending on its implementation.

What is this wizardry ...

I think it is the colour pallete and, if you leave it on, post processing.

I cannot wait for Vulkan... should be awesome

scitek

Oh.

God I hope so, I'm getting murdered on my FPS all over even at high settings on a 2 GB 760..... I need next-gen driver Vulkan plis!

I'm stunned the consoles are running this at 1080p60 while it's making my PC cry silicon tears... jeebus.

The consoles drop resolution whenever they get taxed, though. If the PC version could do that, it would probably not drop frames, either.

TaterTots

Banned
When is Vulkan coming.... my lowly 760 is getting rekt when I try to play this game past 720p lawl.

Such a great looking game though, a miracle is what these new shader systems provide... awesome stuff.

Huh? I don't know much about GPU's, but I have a 960 and I'm at a stable 60 fps with mostly high settings at 1080p. My card shouldn't be that much more powerful than yours. Have you updated your driver and such?

Do we know definitively what it'll take to lock this at 60fps at 4K in Ultra Nightmare? I'm itching to start buying components. Vulkan + 1080 + be happy? Anyone have good 4K monitor recommendations? Or can point me to a thread?

AlanOC91

Crap 4 hours straight and it just crashed on me. No error, no freeze, just completely vanished instantly and I was staring at my steam page again.

AlanOC91

Do we know definitively what it'll take to lock this at 60fps at 4K in Ultra Nightmare? I'm itching to start buying components. Vulkan + 1080 + be happy? Anyone have good 4K monitor recommendations? Or can point me to a thread?

I'll put it this way.

I have an AMD FX8350@4.7ghz and a Asus OC 980ti and I have it at 4k, the Ultra Preset (with no adjustments) and AA off and I get 55-60fps. More often than not, 60fps.

That was a misunderstanding. It wasn't OpenGL -> Vulkan, but rather Vulkan with vsync on -> Vulkan with vsync off.

Oh... OK.
Huh? I don't know much about GPU's, but I have a 960 and I'm at a stable 60 fps with mostly high settings at 1080p. My card shouldn't be that much more powerful than yours. Have you updated your driver and such?
My GPU only has 2 GB of RAM. I'm not sure though. I feel like I should be getting better performance too.

I'm updating now to see what happens.

kinggroin

Banned
The Overlay is built in. Goto advanced options and select metrics. You have access to low, med, high and ultra. Basically different levels of display output.

Also happy to report that I'm running it on my testing PC / kids pc and I'm getting a solid 60 FPS on med/high settings. Which surprises me since it's rocking an old ass AMD Phenom II X4 945 and a GTX 970.

Oh and gamepad support is also really solid as well.

Hahaha good old Phenom II X4. Have one in my kids PC as well, at 3.6ghz.

slapnuts

Game looks AWESOME!!!!

Running Gigabyte G1 R9 390@1150core/6500mem, 3770k@4.6ghz, 8gb Ram, Win10 on a 1080p 55inch Panny Plasma and i am getting solid 60fps with pretty much everything max I have not tried any kind of VSR/Downsampling with Crimson since VSR is broken with current drivers when using VSR with HDTV's or Receiver HDMI in/out, sadly. What happens is when you toggle VSR on..it will turn on for 1 sec and toggle off. Overall though..the game looks great, I REALLY love the look of this game.

tuxfool

Banned
I have an R9 390, 16 GB ram and i5 6600k. Playing at 1080p.

If I have Vertical Sync enabled then I get crazy FPS slowdown to 30-40fps (It seems slower but this is how it reads) for about 10 seconds at a time till it goes back up to buttery smooth 60fps for around 10-15 seconds. If I disable it and unlock the framerate I get 80-100 FPS but terrible micro stuttering. If I lock the framerate at 60 through Riva tuner I get terrible tearing...

Doesn't matter what settings I change... What is going on? I don't have this problem in any other game I've played.

Try locking the frame rate at 59. See if you still get tearing.

JaseC

It would be cool if they could remove this.

I made a thread about it on the game's hub, but it was quickly buried. I considering PM'ing gstaff, who has SPD access to the app, but he hadn't (and hasn't) been online in a while. I've tried to add a Valve employee here and there over the years, but none of them have accepted my request despite us having common friends (perhaps they erroneously assumed I was after free games).

So, yeah, nothing to do but wait.

Guys I have a problem

I start doom from steam, it runs in a small window in the top left corner, I adjust settings to full screen, confirm, I then get a black screen in the top left corner and the only way out of it is through task manager

This is on a 4790k & R9 nano

Edit

It seems to not like running full screen unless it's set to 4k

Try this. Right-click on the Doom executable and go to properties>compatability

Check the box that says "disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

Not sure if that will help or not, but from what you described it sounds like it should.

JaseC

What exactly is Vulkan? A new sort of driver like dx12?

A different graphics API, yeah. Most games use D3D11; a select few use D3D12 or, as is currently the case with Doom, OpenGL. Vulkan is essentially a more robust version of OpenGL.

tuxfool

Banned
A different graphics API, yeah. Most games use D3D11; a select few use D3D12 or, as is currently the case with Doom, OpenGL. Vulkan is essentially a more robust version of OpenGL.

This is a mischaracterization. Vulkan is equivalent to Dx12.

It has nothing to do with OpenGL, other than the fact that it is managed by Khronos, it used to be Mantle but altered to be ihv neutral and cross platform.

JaseC

This is a mischaracterization. Vulkan is equivalent to Dx12.

It has nothing to do with OpenGL, other than the fact that it is managed by Khronos.

Hence "essentially". Vulkan is its own thing, but designed by much the same partners and sets out to achieve much the same goals.

dr_rus

Vulkan should give everyone a decent boost, but people with slower CPUs will see the most impact.

While NV's OpenGL driver is likely to be not as efficient as their DX11 driver is I'm still kinda expecting something akin to DX11->DX12 to happen here as well - meaning that AMD's h/w will likely get a bigger gain from Vulkan than NV's h/w simply because of how bad AMD's OpenGL is.

JaseC

It isn't more or less robust than OpenGL. It just is different.

I admitted I oversimplified things for the sake of understanding, but if I'm wrong to say that Vulkan, as expressed most basically, is the spiritual successor, then okay, my bad. I mean, I'm neither saying nor implying that Vulkan is bad; I'm just trying to convey a vague overview of it in such a way that somebody such as Kenzodielocke -- who is unfamiliar with the finer details of game development -- may understand its place vis-a-vis D3D and OGL.

And when is Vulkan coming ?

"Soon". Presumably within the next week or two.

riflen

What's with the CPU readings in red? Seems a lot of people having that. Surely it's not a bottleneck?

They look like frametime numbers in milliseconds to me. The red number could just be the highest frametime so far recorded. Doesn't necessarily mean a problem. If you're rendering frames at 17.87 ms then that equals about 56 frames per second.

tuxfool

Banned
I admitted I oversimplified things for the sake of understanding, but if I'm wrong to say that Vulkan, as expressed most basically, is the spiritual successor, then okay, my bad. I mean, I'm neither saying nor implying that Vulkan is bad; I'm just trying to convey an overview of it in terms that somebody unfamiliar with graphics APIs may understand.

I hate to be a pedant. But I think "robust" doesn't convey so much what the api is. I guess you could say more modern, but even that is a bad description. This is what I used in the other thread, given that most people know what dx12 is:

"Vulkan is to OpenGL4 what Directx12 is to Directx11"

though there people still might think that dx12 is replacing dx11, which isn't the case.

JaseC

I hate to be a pedant. But I think "robust" doesn't convey so much what the api is. I guess you could say more modern, but even that is a bad description. This is what I used in the other thread, given that most people know what dx12 is:

"Vulkan is to OpenGL4 what Directx 12 is to Directx 11"

though there people still might think that dx12 is replacing dx 11, which isn't the case.

I've no qualms with admitting when I'm wrong, and my post history will display as much, but given the subject here is defining Vulkan to somebody who is evidently unfamiliar with graphics APIs and what they are, I do feel as though you're needlessly introducing split hairs that, in this case, serve only to complicate things.

You're not wrong. And my introduction to Vulkan was most certainly flaky insofar that it lacks nuance. But I don't think I did a bad job of offering a most basic explanation as to what it is.

Dsyndrome

Running an i7-4980HQ, GTX 980M. Prior to the new Nvidia drivers, was getting 45-60FPS with tearing on High, 1080P. Since installing today's driver, now have 58-60FPS almost consistently on Ultra 1080P. Very happy.

Yea I need some settings tips as well.

I turned the AA to SMAA t1x which helped perf but also kept it clean looking.

But I can't get much better than 30 fps average with dips to 25 at 1080p on a 760. Going between Ultra and High preset (with the same AA at SMAA t1x) doesn't really seem to make a difference in performance at all lol.

I think 900p or 768p is gonna be the sweet spot for me, unless Vulkan drastically changes performance. I feel like it should still perform better, but it is a great looking game.

Trying to get more frames, this game just needs the frames much more than say Wolfenstein TNO.

Top Bottom