• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom (2016) PC performance thread

Tecnniqe

Banned
I can't get it to work either. I've heard it's because Windows 10 by default leaks your real ip by routing internet traffic around the VPN, so Steam always sees your actual location. There are guides on how to supposedly disable the feature through registry tweaks, but nothing's worked for me so far.

Ugh. Seems like thats gonna take more time than i have to play for today anyway.
Wait for the real release we will.

I like global releases :) On the other hand after work tomorrow I got a whole weekend of DOOM ahead of me.

Edit: Is that Vulkan API in the game yet?

Pjsprojects

I'm so torn, so, so torn, i don't need another game, i have too many to get playing already as I've only just got back into my PC, but Doom, man,,,,i dunno,,,shall i?

Argh

Anyone run it on a R9 Fury, Fury X, Nano yet?

In the same boat but Doom...
I ran the beta on my 290x at around 80fps at 1080p but it was up and down like a yo-yo left to its on devices.

I can't get it to work either. I've heard it's because Windows 10 by default leaks your real ip by routing internet traffic around the VPN, so Steam always sees your actual location. There are guides on how to supposedly disable the feature through registry tweaks, but nothing's worked for me so far.

I've early unlocked other games on Steam before on Windows 10. It can't be that.

Mr Swine

Banned
Nice that you can get 60fps on max settings on a 970 depending on what CPU you have :D

Can someone try the game with a 750TI?

Bulletzen72

I managed to get it working by using an old 48 hour unused code I had from a V.P.N. site called 3Monkey. Well, when I say working it's unpacking the game. Guess I'll find out in 25 minutes.

nkarafo

Can someone post results on mid-range cards? I have a 960 2GB. I only play at 1080p and i can lock my screen at 50hz if 60hz @ max isn't possible.

OK, I'm not sure if it's because of unoptimized drivers or whatnot, but I had to turn everything to LOW in order to get a minimum of 60FPS.

Core i7 4770k 4 GHz
GTX 780 +200MHz OC
16GB DDR3-1600.

Playing on an external HDD. will try moving to internal to see if that improves performance.

980ti with all settings on max except aa on fxaa and getting 45fps in an empty room at 1440p. Yuck.

Edit: Card is oc'd to boost to 1400mhz, btw.

Fenderman89

Neo Member
During the beta, graphic options couldn't be changed, and I must admit that I was not happy about performances on my (pretty old, I know) rig = i5 2500K/8gb ddr3/GTX 960 2gb.

I'm well aware my PC is getting old and I should seriously thinking about an upgrade, but I was wondering: graphic options were automatically set on "high" or "Ultra" during the beta? Do I have any chance to bet on tweaking or am I definitively fucked in getting >30 FPS?

Anyone? BTW, sorry for any mistake with my english!

I managed to get it working by using an old 48 hour unused code I had from a V.P.N. site called 3Monkey. Well, when I say working it's unpacking the game. Guess I'll find out in 25 minutes.

Yeah you have to just through even more hoops to unlock Doom early using VPN then it was with Fallout 4.

N-Forced

Neo Member
I hope my GTX 980 OC will be able to max it out at 1080p/60fps

I don't see why it wouldn't, but out of curiosity what are the rest of your specs? I'm running a 4790k with 16gb of ram and an overclocked 980 and expect it to hit 60 on maxed out settings easy at 1080p.

Edit: Just saw your post where you said you have a i7 4770. you should be fine.

OK, I'm not sure if it's because of unoptimized drivers or whatnot, but I had to turn everything to LOW in order to get a minimum of 60FPS.

Core i7 4770k 4 GHz
GTX 780 +200MHz OC
16GB DDR3-1600.

Playing on an external HDD. will try moving to internal to see if that improves performance.
At what resolution? 1080p?

mark_79

Banned
By this time next month (or thereabouts) I should have the following rig...

nVidia 1070
i7 6700K
16gb 3200 DDR4 ram (can't afford higher spec)

Surely I should be able to get near enough max settings @ 1920 x 1200 with that?

nVidia 1070
i7 6700K

Surely I should be able to get near enough max settings @ 1920 x 1200 with that?

Oh yeah, easily. Probably 80+fps at that res.

Smokey

nVidia 1070
i7 6700K

Nope

May have to drop to 800x600

Pimpbaa

Anyone know what they use compute shaders for? Saw the option to turn that on or off in the menu screenshot.

Woorloog

Banned
Uh, what setting affects quality of transparent things? They reduce my FPS about 15 if on screen. Otherwise smooth so far with high settings.

1080p display with Freesync
16GB DDR4
Core i5-6600K
MSI Gaming R9 390

i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
16GB of DDR3 1866
GTX970 @ 1.45GHz boost
364.96 driver
Windows 10
running the game on HDD

will report after.. it finishes unpacking itself.

OK here are the results:

1080p, 60Hz screen, disabled CA and motion blur, everything else up to ultra, smooth 60fps with some drops to ~50fps mostly during assets loading and enemy spawning, it does crashed the graphics driver once and my whole PC once, I have tuned down OC to 4.4GHz CPU and 1.4GHz GPU for stability. So yeah, great PC build, looking forward to playing more and seeing Vulkan in action.

Id engine doesn't support SLI. when you disable it, you'll be fine.

Still, wonder if I'll get consistent 60 at that res and settings. Like I said, I was getting 45 standing still in a room with no enemies. Would have to be a significant boost by disabling sli.

Top Bottom