• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal features the series’ first hub area

dirthead

Banned
Lol, how so? Comparing a title from the mid-90s to a game in 2016 is bizarre. I've already talked about that in this thread, so I don't want to beat a dead horse too bad. That being said, I'm not saying 2016 is a superior game, it's DOOM in 2016, and that was DOOM in 1994, that's really it. Because of the time difference one has a crap ton more content than the other, but that's not it's fault. Expectations changed. Times changed.

I love them both. But by today's standards if an exact remake was made the gameplay wouldn't last, especially as a AAA title. Hell, there are indie/small dev titles that have straight forward FPS titles with retro gameplay mechanics that aren't really that successful. Honestly I think Dusk was probably one of the most successful recent classic throwback FPSs, and even then it had modern twists. I loved the throwback FPSs, but they aren't for everyone.

That being said, I really wish we could go back to the classic FPS formula where FPS titles have a single/co-op campaign, and multiplayer. I miss it.

It's the B art assets. Seriously. That's what it is. All of the shitty B tier clones have crappy animation, bad weapon feedback, terrible enemy designs, etc. Painkiller, Serious Sam, all those terrible indie games that look like Build engine games. All the same. Their art assets blow.

You really could basically remake Doom 1 and 2 if the art was up to par.

Last edited:
It's the B art assets. Seriously. That's what it is. All of the shitty B tier clones have crappy animation, bad weapon feedback, terrible enemy designs, etc. Painkiller, Serious Sam, all those terrible indie games that look like Build engine games. All the same. Their art assets blow.

Not to mention, you're barely tapping the enthusiast market of 30-50yo, most of which are probably busy as fuck with jobs and kids, with a game like that.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Lol, I can't help but feel like that's a bit too harsh. Can't say I wholeheartedly agree. Though I will admit there were some things that were hard for me to swallow at first, but it all revolved around demon designs. Well, and the Slayer's design. However, it all warmed up to me in a short time. I just accepted the fact that DOOM 1-2 had that same kind of look honestly. At the time I was 9/10, so of course it scared me, but it always hard a certain element of cheese to it. I enjoyed DOOM 3 for what it was, especially as it was darker in tone, but it made me miss the classic designs. I feel like they were able to create something new while creating throwbacks in 2016, it's going to be even more so in Eternal, which is cool.

I think the biggest issue I had was with the way the CyberDemon looked, it just screamed "Blizzard" to me. As well as a few other things here and there. But they weren't game breaking at all for me, especially after playing it.

I expect to have mictrotransactions,so I won't buy it,because of that I'm buying less and less games,Judgment was the only game that I got this year.

MiguelItUp

I'd wait and see. At best there will be Campaign DLC, there is nothing to microtransact for the Campaign other than that.
Exactly. They already mentioned that the Battlemode stuff isn't going to be monetized and that free DLC is coming. I can't help but imagine the campaign wouldn't do anything like DMCV has, or Wolfenstein: YB. I know Bethesda is Bethesda-ing, but I don't know, I feel id could put their foot down somewhere if they really wanted to. Especially since 2016 and this have been the only titles that were fully developed in-house at id. So we can expect campaign DLC as it was kind of mentioned, but that's it.

That being said, I would put up a preparation wall JUST in case. as I know the current state of gaming has been pretty awful. But I'd really like to think Eternal won't be doing any of that nonsense.

Top Bottom