• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM - One Year Later

Rodin

My favorite fps of all time, i'd put it even above HL2. A perfect transposition of Doom in the modern era with top notch gameplay loop, level design, encounters design, pacing, weapons, boss fights, art design, visuals and soundtrack. Now id, bring Quake and Hexen. It's time.

I still don't like the game and continue to be surprised and a bit baffled by the positive reactions to it. I'm not happy that it most likely cemented this style of Doom for future sequels either.

I still don't like the game and continue to be surprised and a bit baffled by the positive reactions to it. I'm not happy that it most likely cemented this style of Doom for future sequels either.

Not a huge fan of the game, either, and I agree with you that this likely cements this style of Doom for future iterations. If anyone has a pc, you guys should really play Brutal Doom 64, as in my eyes, that's a proper Doom done right.

highrider

Banned
Good game but so overrated in my eyes. Got so boring and repetitive midway through the campaign, thought Infinite Warfare and Titanfall 2 had better campaigns last year.

Yeah, I have to agree. I still have it and I'm very close to finishing I think but I found it almost irritating in it's lack of variety. It's still very good for what it tries to do though.

Mindless fun, exactly what Doom is supposed to be.

I got a little bored with it at one point, but I just put it down and came back later, which is what your supposed to do with DOOM. Was great.

Kade

Great game but I wish it was a level or two or three shorter. Goes on too long for a game that sticks to doing one thing, even though it does that thing extremely well. I preferred Titanfall 2, just because it reminded me of Half-Life 2: Episode Two. Well paced and does a variety of things really well in a relatively short period of time.

Not a huge fan of the game, either, and I agree with you that this likely cements this style of Doom for future iterations. If anyone has a pc, you guys should really play Brutal Doom 64, as in my eyes, that's a proper Doom done right.

I had been hoping and waiting for a continuation of the PSX Doom/Doom 64 style. I mean I knew that was probably far-fetched for this reboot, but the marriage of Horror and Action in those with the Aubrey Hodges soundtracks and lighting is perfect in my opinion. I'm just not interested in this self-aware and cartoonish slant but more importantly I thought the level design, or more specifically arena encounter design, doesn't have much in common with Doom at all.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The Polygon gameplay(er)
doom3copy3bsdp.jpg

Game works as an arcade game once all weapons and such are unlocked. I did not enjoy my first playthrough at all and had to force my way through it. Just wasn't for me.

I had been hoping and waiting for a continuation of the PSX Doom/Doom 64 style. I mean I knew that was probably far-fetched for this reboot, but the marriage of Horror and Action in those with the Aubrey Hodges soundtracks and lighting is perfect in my opinion. I'm just not interested in this self-aware and cartoonish slant but more importantly I thought the level design, or more specifically arena encounter design, doesn't have much in common with Doom at all.

Have you tried Brutal Doom 64? It's like a souped up version of Doom 64 and is now one of my favorite Doom's ever. The one thing that really bothered me about the new Doom is besides the arena battles, the enemies would just constantly warp in. My theory behind this is they did this because of hardware limitations and they needed to keep the frame rate high. So, instead of coming into a room with like 20+ enemies, they would just keep warping them in, which in my eyes, is not a good gameplay experience.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
My favorite FPS of all time. That campaign was solid gold, and the multiplayer was pretty ok too. Platinumed that fucker, and would plat again.

The arena fights get repetitive on the first playthrough, but after that they didn't bother me at all. The game actually does them in a way I like, where Doomguy runs circles around everyone else and there's plenty of variety in the arenas, unlike Serious Sam where it's just a giant square and everything is faster than Sam.

Too bad we're never going to get mods.

Bastos

Thats one of their design choices so the game is actually playable on consoles/controllers. Enclosed, fixed spaces with large areas and all the auto-jump/grabing ledges are all needed so controllers can actually handle the game at an increased speed from regular console shooters.

If you look at people playing the old Dooms with gamepads they cant even exit through a door properly because the game handles so bad on a pad. With tight areas, corners and speed you'd bump into every wall and corner and you dont know where combat encounters are gonna end up. So the devs had all these fixed, highly tailored combat situations where everything was tweaked so it works
Yeah, I understand having to adapt to console players.

It's a shame, though.

Wish people at least could recreate Doom 1 and 2 levels with that map creator thing.

emrober5

Somehow I played through the first few hours of the game, wasn't really enjoying it and then put it on the shelf.

Months later I was looking for something to play and tried it again, this time it clicked. Really enjoyed it, and I'm not a huge single player fps fan.

The mp was pretty awful, that's for sure.

Mathieran

Banned
I enjoyed Doom well enough but thought the last quarter or so of the game was a drag. Just felt too repetitive. Also didn't enjoy any of the boss fights.

I thought it was more fun cutting down hordes of weaker enemies than taking on bigger guys that soaked up bullets.

On a side note, the credit sequence after beating the game was pretty awesome.

SeanTSC

Not just the best FPS of the last 5 years for me, but my personal favorite Single Player FPS of all time. I'd take it over literally any other FPS made. And it's really a shame that they chose mutiplayer expansion over more single player in their post-launch support.

Scirrocco

Let's not forget it also gave us the best Miracle of Sound song yet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjIVkl34Vig

I've actually been replaying this on night mare recently. Just beat th cyber demon last night. It stil holds up. Kind of frustrating to get 2 shot, like health and armor and practically meaningless, but it does force you t get good, and swap weapons more.

I still think wolfensteinTNO was a better shooter, because of its decent story line and more varied gameplay, but Doom was a damn close second, and a perfect attempt at what it should be.

It and Overwatch made me realize I still give a shit about shooters.

Because man before last year I was more or less on hiatus.

I loved it at first, but the weapon upgrade system ruined it for me. The fully upgraded super-shotgun and siege cannon completely trivialize every encounter in the game.

I'd like to play it again without the upgrades, to see if I enjoy it more, but I shouldn't have to ignore a system to not ruin the core gameplay.

Great game but I wish it was a level or two or three shorter. Goes on too long for a game that sticks to doing one thing, even though it does that thing extremely well. I preferred Titanfall 2, just because it reminded me of Half-Life 2: Episode Two. Well paced and does a variety of things really well in a relatively short period of time.

Titanfall 2's campaign was a masterpiece as well

spekkeh

Banned
Thats one of their design choices so the game is actually playable on consoles/controllers. Enclosed, fixed spaces with large areas and all the auto-jump/grabing ledges are all needed so controllers can actually handle the game at an increased speed from regular console shooters.

If you look at people playing the old Dooms with gamepads they cant even exit through a door properly because the game handles so bad on a pad. With tight areas, corners and speed you'd bump into every wall and corner and you dont know where combat encounters are gonna end up. So the devs had all these fixed, highly tailored combat situations where everything was tweaked so it works
Sure sure arena shooters are a console thing and Doom 3 never happened. Got anymore of dem alternative history facts.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Thats one of their design choices so the game is actually playable on consoles/controllers.

To be fair they admitted in the post mortem video series (the one made a few months post launch) that the arena combat design was a kind of leftover from the initial multiplayer arena shooter this version of the game started as.
The issue with an otherwise excellent shooter (with amazing soundtrack) was that most of the time you could assume there was no danger, nothing happening, when you were away from arena looking areas and you had not killed a gore nest.

Enclosed, fixed spaces with large areas and all the auto-jump/grabing ledges are all needed so controllers can actually handle the game at an increased speed from regular console shooters.

Ledge grabbing and gore kills ended up being the really enjoyable gameplay factor I did not think they would originally, I will concede that :).

I used to play with pure keyboard, have fun, and proceed ahead with the game. Used to play DOOM with a gamepad on PSOne and enjoy myself a lot... same with DOOM 64 on N64. Played DOOM on GBA and had lots of fun and found the game more than playable. Played DOOM II on PS3 in the HD collection as bonus of DOOM3 BFG... not much of a problem on it either :). The old DOOM's were not all about super tight closed spaces... they had quite a mix of big wide open areas, mid sized arenas, corridors, etc...

Have you tried Brutal Doom 64? It's like a souped up version of Doom 64 and is now one of my favorite Doom's ever. The one thing that really bothered me about the new Doom is besides the arena battles, the enemies would just constantly warp in. My theory behind this is they did this because of hardware limitations and they needed to keep the frame rate high. So, instead of coming into a room with like 20+ enemies, they would just keep warping them in, which in my eyes, is not a good gameplay experience.

Yeah, I have PSX Doom PC, Brutal Doom 64 and all of those. I almost pissed myself a little when I read those were being developed at the time.

pa22word

That nvidia floored me and that was the moment i bought it..no shit it was so damn hesitated over the game..in the end i am happy how it turned out.

I had the game preordered and cancelled it twice over and then that Nvidia demo hit and I immediately repreordered it again for the 3rd and final time.

Bethesda totally fucked up the marketing on that game. No one had any idea what in the fuck it actually was until it came out, and no one knew what in the fuck it played like until that Nvidia demo hit like a week before launch. Just utterly baffling.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My favorite fps of all time, i'd put it even above HL2. A perfect transposition of Doom in the modern era with top notch gameplay loop, level design, encounters design, pacing, weapons, boss fights, art design, visuals and soundtrack. Now id, bring Quake and Hexen. It's time.

Acti owns Hexen (and Heretic). I suppose I wouldn't rule out a modestly-budgeted reboot/sequel published by Sierra, which Acti resurrected a few years ago to act as an indie publishing label and curator of its immense back catalogue, but it's probably safe to say that a AAA game in the vein of Doom16 or Wolf14 is decidedly unlikely to happen at any point within the foreseeable future. Acti prefers new IPs to resurrecting old ones.

Snapmap is so goddamn cool.
SnapMap is extremely underappreciated. I'll be the first to admit, it was pretty bare-bones when DOOM first launched, but today it stands as arguably one of the best built-in editors of all time. It's like the TimeSplitters editor on steroids.

pa22word

Acti owns Hexen (and Heretic). I suppose I wouldn't rule out a modestly-budgeted reboot/sequel published by Sierra, which Acti resurrected a few years ago to act as an indie publishing label and curator of its immense back catalogue, but it's probably safe to say that a AAA game in the vein of Doom16 or Wolf14 is decidedly unlikely to happen at any point within the foreseeable future. Acti prefers new IPs to resurrecting old ones.

I mean, why not Dark Messiah of...erm...Elder Scrolls and Dragons?

Fuck I'd buy that shit, if Prey bombs and Raph's team needs something to do an ES spinoff that's just Dark Messiah 2.0 would satisfy a lot of the people who want another Heretic/Hexen game I think.

Nokterian

I had the game preordered and cancelled it twice over and then that Nvidia demo hit and I immediately repreordered it again for the 3rd and final time.

Bethesda totally fucked up the marketing on that game. No one had any idea what in the fuck it actually was until it came out, and no one knew what in the fuck it played like until that Nvidia demo hit like a week before launch. Just utterly baffling.

Agree i wasn't happy with it, they showed it in such a mundane and overall slow approach like Call of Duty..look and watch..everything was a 'cinematic experience'.

Just cut the bullshit show the goddamn gameplay killing demons in a big ass hurry rip and tear with the music of mick gordon in the background.

That should have been shown to the public let a pro player play it by that they did with that Nvidia demo..

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On one hand, I really want to see them reboot QUAKE 1 and see their take on lovecraftian horror FPS with its bizarre themes

on the other hand, I would love to see them make thier own Doom 2 where they get to be creative with it rather than just reimagining Doom 1 because I think Doom proved they can be trusted to make their own monsters and settings

Top Bottom