• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Doomsday Clock': DC's Geoff Johns on the Origin of the Watchmen/Superman Comic Book

SpaceWolf

Banned
I can't help but think about what Alan Moore said about DC's ongoing obsession with regurgitating the Watchmen property as a means of attracting attention.

"At the end of the day, if they haven't got any properties that are valuable enough, but they have got these ‘top-flight industry creators' that are ready to produce these prequels and sequels to Watchmen, well this is probably a radical idea, but could they not get one of the ‘top-flight industry creators' to come up with an idea of their own? Why are DC Comics trying to exploit a comic book that I wrote 25 years ago if they have got anything? Surely they ought to have had an equivalent idea since? I could ask about why Marvel Comics are churning out or planning to bring out my ancient Marvelman stories, which are even older, if they had a viable idea of their own in the quarter-century since I wrote those works. I mean, surely that would be a much easier solution than all of this clandestine stuff? Just simply get some of your top-flight talent to put out a book that the wider public outside of the comics field find as interesting or as appealing as the stuff that I wrote 25 years ago. It shouldn't be too big an ask, should it? I wouldn't have thought so. And it would solve an awful lot of problems. They must have one creator, surely, in the entire American industry that could do equivalent work to something I did 25 years ago. It would be insulting to think that there weren't." -- Alan Moore

Ironically enough that quote is from like, 2010, so even before the Before Watchmen and Rebirth stuff happened.

Wanderer5

Probably will check out the trade later on. I think this could end up working well and be interesting.

This sounds like the worst thing ever, and if it's written by Geoff Johns, then chances are it very well could be just that.

Lol not with the likes of Holy Terror existing.

Dalek

Which books are the best? I'm so out of the loop with DC (like, I'm not even that familiar with the New 52 beyond Batman and some Wondie) though I have enjoyed the first few issues of Superman Rebirth.

Detective Comics has been my favorite. Batman is more YMMV because Tom King is doing a very different type of story than normal.

Superman has been very good as well, as well as Super Sons.

Which books are the best? I'm so out of the loop with DC (like, I'm not even that familiar with the New 52 beyond Batman and some Wondie) though I have enjoyed the first few issues of Superman Rebirth.

First 25 issues of Wonder Woman are already a classic run. The beginning is a little rough but it gets better and better until the heart-wrenching conclusion. And Priest is killing it on Deathstroke, best cape book right now but I'm a few issues behind.

Superman was excellent for 20 issues or so. It's been a bit dodgy lately. Aquaman has been great since issue 25, an easy jumping-on point. Green Arrow, GL Corps, New Super-Man, Super Sons are also really good.

dan2026

The way people put Watchmen up on a golden pedestal is absurd.
Yes it was a great comic story, but there are thousands of great comic stories.

Watchmen isn't this sacred relic that cannot be touched by mortal hands.

Watchmen has a naked blue guy that can bend time and reality. lol

Watchmen is a type of sci-fi built on the idea of changing one premise. Doctor Manhattan is that premise.

[Arguably it's a two-premise work, with the masked adventurer fad of the 1940's being the other.]

The DCU is a several-thousand premise/rank fantasy. Plus it's a vast shared universe. Watchmen is a very limited closed world, a story with a handful of prequels.

They're fundamentally different.

82qjjqe.jpg

Detective Comics has been my favorite. Batman is more YMMV because Tom King is doing a very different type of story than normal.

Superman has been very good as well, as well as Super Sons.
First 25 issues of Wonder Woman are already a classic run. Beginning is a little rough but it gets better and better until the heart-wrenching conclusion. And Priest is killing it on Deathstroke.

Superman was excellent for 20 issues or so. It's been a bit dodgy lately. Aquaman has been great since issue 25, an easy jumping-on point. Green Arrow, GL Corps, New Super-Man, Super Sons are also really good.
I can't attest to the rest of the series, but the Batman/Flash crossover The Button was pretty good; albeit short.

Thanks!

That is a lot of good stuff! Nice! I was supposed to pick up the first two volumes of Detective Comics from the digital Batman sale thanks to the recommendations of another gaffer and now it looks like I have plenty more to get :)

Joey Ravn

Banned
I can't help but think about what Alan Moore said about DC's ongoing obsession with regurgitating the Watchmen property in a number of different ways these days.

Moore has always been comic book anti-establishment. I often wonder why he even agreed to do Watchmen in the first place, since even then his original vision had to be toned down by request of DC Comics. He wanted the Charlton characters instead of the ersatz that we got in the end. I wish he was more like Morrison and embraced his legacy, and that of others. It's what everyone does: the superhero genre is a constant recycling of the same basic stories. If someone wants to use the Watchmen universe to tell a new story, what's there to lose? The original work will still be there. I do feel that Johns is the guy for a project like Doomsday clock, though. He's a great writer who knows the characters he's writing.

And it's not like DC (or Marvel, for that matter) aren't employing great writers who tell great stories. Read Mister Miracle, people.

Watchmen is a type of sci-fi built on the idea of changing one premise. Doctor Manhattan is that premise.

[Arguably it's a two-premise work, with the masked adventurer fad of the 1940's being the other.]

The DCU is a several-thousand premise/rank fantasy. Plus it's a vast shared universe. Watchmen is a very limited closed world, a story with a handful of prequels.

They're fundamentally different.

And I can believe the premise of Doctor Manhattan's godlike powers interfering with the DC universe. You can be as tonally different as you like but if you connect that one thing that can bring it together, it can work regardless.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Moore has always been comic book anti-establishment. I often wonder why he even agreed to do Watchmen in the first place, since even then his original vision had to be toned down by request of DC Comics. He wanted the Charlton characters instead of the ersatz that we got in the end. I wish he was more like Morrison and embraced his legacy, and that of others. It's what everyone does: the superhero genre is a constant recycling of the same basic stories. If someone wants to use the Watchmen universe to tell a new story, what's there to lose? The original work will still be there. I do feel that Johns is the guy for a project like Doomsday clock, though. He's a great writer who knows the characters he's writing.

And it's not like DC (or Marvel, for that matter) aren't employing great writers who tell great stories. Read Mister Miracle, people.

Unlike Morrison, I imagine it's pretty hard for Moore to "embrace (the) legacy" that DC is trying to cultivate around Watchmen, considering Moore feels the company completely screw him over by originally getting him to sign over the rights to his characters, whilst shutting him out of any kind of substantial cut of the book's continued earnings, which is exactly what prompted Moore to walk away from DC in 1989, after vowing never to work for them as a writer again. As a creator, he feels he was basically robbed of any kind of ownership of his own creation, which all honestly isn't a far cry from the truth, when taking into account all the facts that we've been given.

Dalek

Thanks!

That is a lot of good stuff! Nice! I was supposed to pick up the first two volumes of Detective Comics from the digital Batman sale thanks to the recommendations of another gaffer and now it looks like I have plenty more to get :)

Detective Comics is so good. It's like Claremont Era X-Men style superhero team stories, but instead with Batman, Batwoman, Tim Drake, Clayface, Spoiler, Orphan/Cassandra Cain, Azreal and Batwing. Greatest team ever.

Thank you.

For Moore, it's about how certain creators were treated. Comic book companies have an awful track record, and Moore didn't want to be party to it any longer.

kmfdmpig

That makes his stance fairly hypocritical. He wanted to use pre-existing characters to tell his own story in his own way. When others use pre-existing characters (ie those he made) to try to tell their own story in their own way he sees it as derivative or an insult. Those two thought processes, to me, seem hypocritical.

Just be sure to read DC Rebirth #1 first. It introduces the overall mystery for the DC Universe and what’s cool about these books is that out of nowhere a twist happens that’s directly related to the overall DC Rebirth mystery and it blows your mind.
Thanks, will do.
I hope your a Tim fan, cuz your gonna LOVE the ending to the first arc.
Yah, I'm a Tim fan.

Interesting, I'm curious to see what happens now.

SpaceWolf

Banned
That makes his stance fairly hypocritical. He wanted to use pre-existing characters to tell his own story in his own way. When others use pre-existing characters (ie those he made) to try to tell their own story in their own way he sees it as derivative or an insult. Those two thought processes, to me, seem hypocritical.

Moore has always emphasized that he sees a huge difference between utilizing characters previously established creators who are now dead, and hijacking someone's characters when they're still very much alive.

Hence, you know, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

250px-League.jpg

But even in that sense, I guess you would be right in saying that Moore is still a hypocrite in that regard.

2508831-college_flashback.jpg

(Pictured: League depicting Harry Potter committing a high school massacre at Hogwarts)

Goodstyle

The issue isn't that Watchmen is an untouchable special story, it's that its core message runs antithetical to this mythologizing of its characters and this over exploration of its lore. The likes of Johns and Snyder give off the impression that the Watchmen are just cool superhero dudes doing dark superhero stuff. It feels like they didn't get the story, and while that sounds super pretentious, the story itself wasn't especially hard to get.

kmfdmpig

Moore has always emphasized that he sees a huge difference between utilizing characters previously established creators who are now dead, and hijacking someone's characters when they're still very much alive.

Hence, you know, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

But even in that sense, I guess you would be right in saying that Moore is still a hypocrite in that regard when League unapologetically depicted Harry Potter committing a high school massacre at Hogwarts.

The creators of Blue Beetle, Peacemaker, Question, Thunderbolt, Captain Atom and many of the other characters are either still alive or died in the early 2000s. The only creator that had died before Watchmen was made was the creator of Liberty Belle, which would have been the analog for Silk Spectre.

VanWinkle

I can't help but think about what Alan Moore said about DC's ongoing obsession with regurgitating the Watchmen property as a means of attracting attention.

Ironically enough that quote is from like, 2010, so even before the Before Watchmen and Rebirth stuff happened.

And why did he regurgitate Charlton comics characters for Watchmen? Couldn't he have thought of something original? Is that so much to ask?

I mean, they're comics for crying out loud. The whole thing with them is using and reusing existing characters. He's used plenty of existing characters himself. Why, when he "creates" new characters, should they be off limits?

VanWinkle

I honestly can't wait for this. I'm so intrigued by Johns writing something like this. He is certainly more of an action movie sort of writer, and this is incredibly ambitious. I could see it going either way.

Moore famously complained about the Johns GL stuff that it was milking stuff he did decades back rather than being original.

Of course, the story that provided the jumping-off point was Moore doing that exact same thing with even earlier GL stuff.

Moore's a hypocrite about the "use other people's stuff" complaint.

OTOH, he seems to be in high integrity about the screwing over of creators and and not wanting to be a party to it. So there's that.

Maledict

This is such a stupid idea on every level. It shows a fundamental lack of understanding about Watchmen, to a level that's almost embarrassingly stupid.

As Alan Moore said, can't they think of something new of their own?

kmfdmpig

This is such a stupid idea on every level. It shows a fundamental lack of understanding about Watchmen, to a level that's almost embarrassingly stupid.

The percentage of comics by the big two that are truly original is incredibly small. The main characters have been around for many decades and most of the new characters are derivatives, offshoots or reskins of characters that have been around for decades.

Does Moore take his own advice or is he still milking League books?

Love the art. It's feels strangely real to me. I also get what Johns is saying. I'm sure they have a lot to handle, especially with regards to making the characters right and fit in with the DC universe well. It's not easy, but I wish them luck, I guess.

Trying to put Watchmen in the DC Universe is an embarrassingly stupid idea.

It's a not good idea, but DC was going to do it eventually, especially since they've been mining their properties for this long. I'm just glad they're giving a reason for the Watchmen showing up in the DC universe I suppose.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Well, I wouldn't say there were thousands but there is a ton. I think Watchmen is pretty special though; it's incredible in terms of how it plays with the form.

It's pretty unique in that regard. I can think of only one (maybe two) other comic(s) that play with formal structure like it does (and one of them is essentialy a really accomplished parody of Watchmen!).

That's the main reason I personally rate it so highly. Plus, it caught me at just the right time.

It's just a great standalone story. It doesn't make sense being in the wider DC continuity because it kind of undermines a big part of what the book was trying to do.

I feel the same about Dark Knight Returns, actually. It's not how Batman's story actually ends, but it is an end point in itself. Miller carrying it on was... unnecessary and undermines the original story.

Does Moore take his own advice or is he still milking League books?

His blatant hypocrisy about this always bothered me.

I think he's more focused on his novel work, filmmaking, and his poetry. I don't mind saying Jerusalem looks really intimidating.

The entire point of the original Watchmen was that it was completely self-contained and that the characters didn't and couldn't work in the context of a traditionally defined superhero universe, and vice versa. Also, DiDio openly admitted that the Rebirth reveal was done to get attention rather than for any story reason.

But whatever, OMG RORSCHACH MEETS FELLOW BADASS HERO BATMAN THIS IS JUST LIKE THAT FANFIC I WROTE WHEN I WAS 13, I guess.

The entire point of the original Watchmen was that it was completely self-contained and that the characters didn't and couldn't work in the context of a traditionally defined superhero universe, and vice versa. Also, DiDio openly admitted that the Rebirth reveal was done to get attention rather than for any story reason.

But whatever, OMG RORSCHACH MEETS FELLOW BADASS HERO BATMAN THIS IS JUST LIKE THAT FANFIC I WROTE WHEN I WAS 13, I guess.

But Watchmen was originally conceived as a DC story using DC characters. They just decided to not allow Moore to use DC characters for his story. And besides this doesn't change the original in any form. It's still a self-contained story.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
But Watchmen was originally conceived as a DC story using DC characters. They just decided to not allow Moore to use DC characters for his story. And besides this doesn't change the original in any form. It's still a self-contained story.

Charlton characters (a stable bought up by DC), as far as I can recall.

The reason they didn't let Moore and Gibbons get their hands on them was because they wanted to permanently fuck them up in a self-contained story.

Damn people it's just comics, chill out lol. DC can do whatever they want with Watchmen since they own the characters and Rebirth has been incredible. The best comic from DC this year for me is Mister Miracle. DC has really been stepping it up taking bold decisions.

All comics are fanfic.

And honestly by comics standards, this is a smart business decision.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It should have been called Doomsday Cock and about everyone in the DC universe trying to get Dr. Manhattan to put on some damn pants.

Glix

I'll say this. I was aghast at Before Watchmen.

In the end... I was not very impressed by it EXCEPT the Minutemen was incredible.

So we got an amazing extra Watchmen story, and you what? I was able to just ignore the other stuff. I busted out Watchmen a few weeks ago for a re-read, and the fact that Before Watchmen happened didn't effect my enjoyment of the story at all.

So I am certainly not outraged by this.

Additionally, Rebirth has been great and they have been setting this up for a long time, and you know what? I'm actually excited about Doomsday Clock.

And if it ends up being shit? Then it will be shit. And I still will enjoy Watchmen every time i read it.

Except that they were all supposed to be characters from a traditionally defined superhero universe, until he wasn't allowed to use them?

Pretty pathetic insult at the end of your post as well. Sad.

Top Bottom