• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doomsday Clock now 90 seconds to midnight

PSYGN

Party Fun GIF by Solar Impulse

Toons

I bet they’ll feel so good about themselves when a hypothetical world doomsday does happen.
“Look, we can finally move it to midnight”. *proceeds to die*. Pretentious garbage that has no effect on any world affairs.

......wha?

badblue

They don’t know what the fuck they’re talking about.
Talk of nukes has been up quite a bit since the start of the war with Russia.

I'm no scientist, but I think that does lead credence to them knowing something. Last time I heard of this clock was in the Watchmen movie, were they directed correlated the time on the clock to the risk of Thermonuclear War.

Jsisto

I just don’t see how having a “doomsday clock” really amounts to anything more than causing average people with no influence over world affairs stress and anxiety, and we really don’t need more of that. Wars and arms races are still going to happen regardless of ”what time it is”. I just fail to see the point of this.

Lasha

Do you guys really think the Doomsday clock is literal? 90 seconds passing after the announcement without global catastrophe should be your first clue of the clock's symbolism.

John Bilbo

If I remember the Watchmen comics correctly instead of the world ending there will be world peace when the clock hits midnight.

A bit of a blunder the name of the clock if you ask me

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
let's cause anxiety and panic to the general public!! What a great idea!!!

These so called scientists sure are smart!!

It is a very elitist version of memelord click bait. I mean, it's pretty logical to me without the picture. If Earth becomes a greenhouse and All the nations in the world decide to go to war with each other and, fuck it, a Volcano goes off somewhere, obviously, OBVIOUSLY we're closer to Doooomzdae than if a hitherto unknown universal force shot waves over the earth that rendered all nuclear power obsolete. It's like a fucking heat sensor in a video game. Thanks, Retro, if I hadn't seen the threat level to go to max on the HUD I surely would have jumped into the seven meter deep pool of fucking magma with dragons and shit in it. PHEW. But replace threat meter with dunce clock and fucking magma with like....making plans past 2025, or whatever.

This is the secular equivalent of man standing on street corner with sign, for people in which science is their religion:
Ben_Kinsley_The_End_is_Nigh.jpg

But the result is the same. It's a nice, well intentioned call for peace, for making good use of our time, but nothing more. No matter how educated you are, you don't know any better how close to the end our world is, no more than any other person making a guess. Something as complex as that cannot be predicted by a bunch of experts who only specialize in one field and have very little understanding beyond that (even if they talk to others, they will not be experts in those other fields). You can list a bunch of reasons why but things could change, new developments happen, and any number of random and unforeseen factors could alter the course of history and of the future. Just a bunch of educated fucks who have about as little power as the rest of us, trying to exert some kind of influence in the most unsociable way as only nerds who spend a lifetime in lab coats looking into microscopes know how.

Btw, the clock comes from the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, not even a conglomeration of scientists from across the spectrum. Nots Psychologists, Sociologists, Philosophers, Behavioralists, Historians, Politicians, etc. Which means they have as much clue about human behavior, and humans--the ones who will press the buttons--any of us.

Nope. Nope. Put it back 30 seconds. It doesn't scan properly with the chorus any more..

Damn, beaten, I came to post this. Iron Maiden, legends

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Closer to midnight than when everyone literally had nuclear weapons pointed at each other?

This clock has certainly become irrelevant in the years after the Cold War ended.

It's no longer just about nuclear weapons. The current clock now takes into consideration climate change and a future pandemic, which they believe is "is no longer a once in a lifetime risk"

I personally don't see the point in this clock. No government is going to be changing policy because of the "time" on the clock and a majority of people on this planet simply don't care. I know they want to highlight how close they think humanity is to destruction, but if the world just shrugs then what's the point?

Top Bottom