• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Doomsday Clock' set for an update amid nuclear tensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
edit:please can the mods change the title to be Get a possible time update, or something?

Live bulletin stream: seems busy ATM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35412454

The clock accounts for the threat of nuclear weapons, climate change and new technologies.
The clock is currently set at three-minutes-to-midnight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...lock-live-stream-When-will-the-world-end.html

Nuclear weapons, climate change, the changing energy landscape, and emerging technologies in the life sciences are all threats to humanity, the Doomsday scientists believe.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...oser-to-oblivion-latest-updates-a6835031.html

Some of the world's most eminent scientists are about to announce whether the world is closer to oblivion than it ever was before.

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists – a group of leading thinkers convened after the creation of the nuclear bomb – is set to announce whether it will reset the "Doomsday Clock". That clock is a way of showing just how at risk humanity is of apocalypse from nuclear warfare, climate change or a range of other threats.

Time to pack it up? have we had a good run?

I personally thought we were in a better place in regards to Nuclear annihilation, then we ever where, maybe it is climate change that will screw us up?, either way if this announcement can galvanize us into getting our shit together and sorting it out, I am for this.

UPDATE:

Clock remains at 3 minutes to midnight. "A dismay", apparently.

- Positive change: Iran nuclear deal, Paris agreement

- Negative changes: US-Russian tensions, North Korea, other nuke-related developments, "lack of progress" on climate change mitigation.

I personally think they're downplaying Paris, it's way too early to assess its impact yet. I don't think they took the same extremely skeptical attitude towards SALT so that's a bit unfair.

Not even Science can predict humanity with their feeble attempts of having a 'doomsday' clock. Nothing but a charade for the papers.

Boem

I have to say, they're playing pretty funky music on that stream, considering they're going to announce the end of the world.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I got the stream working, yeah, it's a bit odd has some jazz music and powerpoint style clipart/screen grabs.

wth????

this feels like something Douglas Adams would concoct to announce imminent Armageddon.

Dr Strangelove screen cap??

Boem

I got the stream working, yeah, it's a bit odd has some jazz music and powerpoint style clipart/screen grabs.

wth????

this feels like something Douglas Adams would concoct to announce imminent Armageddon.

Dr Strangelove screen cap??

Yeah, they also had screencaps of 1980s Doctor Who, Watchmen and Simpsons in there, among other weird stuff. Would be hilarious if it's really going to be incredibly bad news.

This music is how I want to face the end though, whenever it comes. Just put up some jazz, drink some red wine, and watch it all burn.

Starfield

Well wouldn't surprise me at all that we can expect a WW3 in a few years, I'll give it 5 to get scary, 10 to get dead serious and 20 to be full on crisis.

Nivash

I'm thinking it moves back one between the Paris Climate Change deal and the Iran nuclear deal.

It should, really. If it doesn't I don't know how they're calibrating the clock these days - back when it was a purely atomic clock (pun intended), all of the deals and disarmament treaties had a positive effect.

Looks like the last reset was in 2015 too which would make this the first time since 1991 that we have resets just a year apart. I'm assuming that has to do with recent events and if that's the case, the climate deal should play a big part. I mean sure, we had the recent North Korean nuke test, but NK isn't exactly a big player.

Well wouldn't surprise me at all that we can expect a WW3 in a few years, I'll give it 5 to get scary, 10 to get dead serious and 20 to be full on crisis.

WW3 isn't impossible but while I wouldn't be surprised either, it's still a highly unlikely event. It can only really happen if everything that can go wrong does so in some future flashpoint. If it does happen my money is on the Baltics.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Music sounds like a Sega/Mega CD level now. shit we've gone back to 1993.

we're all gonna die...

Melon Husk

gWuZHJ1.png

The end is nigh-er than it's ever been since 1984, right... I guess they're out of donations again.

Edit: Stream is up.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The clock remains 3 Minutes to Midnight..

Maybe next year the go out there playing Ride of the Valkyries, ominous music, meaning we are all safe.

Nivash

Clock remains at 3 minutes to midnight. "A dismay", apparently.

- Positive change: Iran nuclear deal, Paris agreement

- Negative changes: US-Russian tensions, North Korea, other nuke-related developments, "lack of progress" on climate change mitigation.

I personally think they're downplaying Paris, it's way too early to assess its impact yet. I don't think they took the same extremely skeptical attitude towards SALT so that's a bit unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom