• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P – Big Balance Patch announced, first DLC teased

Draugoth

Gold Member
Lies-of-P_2023_10-31-23_001-1024x574.jpg

Publisher Neowiz and developer Round8 Studio will release a balance patch for Soulslike action RPG Lies of P in November, the companies announced in a video letter from director Jiwon Choi. Additionally, the companies debuted the first concept artwork for the upcoming downloadable content.

Get the details below.

The video, hosted by game director Jiwon Choi, catches players up on the state of Lies of P since its official launch on September 19 and what to expect from the game in the near future including a sneak peek at the first downloadable content as well as details on the release of the official game soundtrack, and more.
After thanking fans for helping Lies of P surpass one million units sold in the first month, Choi goes on to discuss the upcoming balance patch for the game. Expected to arrive in November, the update brings significant changes to weapon and character balance, as well as quality-of-life changes to ease the difficulty in the early stages of the game. To show the developers’ gratitude, players will also receive a new outfit, along with a new feature to equip glasses and hats separately for even greater freedom in character customization.
As another treat for players, Choi provides a short preview of the upcoming game content for Lies of P through never-before-seen sketches that tease a small portion of the content that will be available in the first downloadable content.
Lies of PLies of P

More information, including the complete patch notes and details on the new downloadable content, will be available soon.

Inspired by the familiar story of Pinocchio, Lies of P is an action Soulslike game set in the dark, Belle Epoque-inspired city of Krat. Once a beautiful city, Krat has become a living nightmare as deadly puppets run amok and a plague sweeps the land. Play as a puppet who must fight his way through the city on his unrelenting journey to find Geppetto and finally become human. Lies of P presents an elegant world filled with tension, deep combat and character customization systems, and a gripping story with interesting narrative choices where the more lies told, the more human P becomes. Just remember: in a world filled with lies, no one can be trusted…

You're burying the lede, OP, as a sequel is also apparently confirmed.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I feel that the game’s bosses are now easy enough with the updates to the spectres that were made a short while ago. They help you a lot in the boss battles. Other than the bosses the early game isn’t too hard. Oh well we’ll see how it turns out.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Lies of P director Ji Won Choi has provided a first glimpse of the game's forthcoming DLC, as well as confirmation a sequel is in the works.

In a Director's Letter video, Choi thanked the community for the game's 1m sales and provided an update on its future.

"Our highest priority is developing the DLC and working on our sequel," he said. While the DLC had already been revealed, the sequel had not.

As for the DLC, Choi shared screenshots as a tease, which show the main character at sea on a huge ship. "I can promise you one thing," he said. "What I just showed you scratches merely the tip of an iceberg." So, could this be Titanic inspired, or will we finally fight The Terrible Dogfish from the original story?

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I need to see the list of changes myself, but of all my complaints about it, characters damage or health aren't any of them. Probably reducing some health to first phase of bosses since its annoying having to beat them each time again and again.

Aion002

Guess it's fine that I haven't gotten to it yet. They seem to be eager to listen to feedback and keep making tweaks. I'll play it probably next year.
Totally worth it.

It's a great game, the combat ain't perfect, but it's good enough and the overall level design, graphics, story and characters are great.

If they can improve some minor issues on the combat balance it will probably become a serious goty contender.

Anyway, I am hyped for the dlc! I hope they add new combat mechanics.

SCB3

I was expecting Wizard of Oz as a DLC, so I'm assuming thats the Sequel, I guess it being on a Ship is going to looking at Monstro and the stuff that was missing from Pinocchio's tale

I was expecting Wizard of Oz as a DLC, so I'm assuming thats the Sequel, I guess it being on a Ship is going to looking at Monstro and the stuff that was missing from Pinocchio's tale

Wizard of Oz souls? I never knew I wanted this so bad. lol

The Snake

Wizard of Oz souls? I never knew I wanted this so bad. lol
Yup, I won't spoil anything but that is what the next game will basically be.

Having read the Oz books I'm pretty stoked for it; while they are technically children's books they're loaded with a ton of dark, weird, and creepy imagery and events.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I really need to check this out. Love the support its getting and the sales are super impressive. Might be the first Souls clone I truly enjoy.

Also the director looks like hes 15 years old

Cashon

Banned
I feel that the game’s bosses are now easy enough with the updates to the spectres that were made a short while ago. They help you a lot in the boss battles. Other than the bosses the early game isn’t too hard. Oh well we’ll see how it turns out.
I've never played any of the Souls games, or their copy cats, except for Elden Ring (stopped around 60 hours in) and, I guess, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (100%).

I'm saying this to say that I don't have much experience in this genre. I tried Lies of P and stopped at the first boss - the circus guy. I just found it not only difficult (timing), but also tedious. It felt like it took forever just to get his health halfway.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Biggest surprise hit and best souls like ever. Just a hair shy of FS greatness.

Day one buy on dlc and their next game.

Really curious how they will neuter this game… they seem keen on listening to the 4 guys who refuse to git gud.

Rising Dodge as a default skill. Two more quartz available for purchase early in the game. Full Alidoro costume. New tophat, goofy rectangular green glasses, and ability to equip glasses and hats/masks separately. Also, purchaseable soundtrack in development. Noice!

Looks like DLC will involve crashing a merchant vessel into a war ship with a hydrolic generator (based on sketches). Probably the giant terrible dogfish as well from the looks of it. There are also hints of reciprocating the crossover with Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. 😁

P.S. They also mentioned starting stats possibly being adjusted and the difficulty of the shovel wielding mini-boss in Venigni Works being adjusted.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm at the last boss in the game, and all of this information came at the PERFECT time. I was hoping Lies of P would be solid, but it's so much more than I was expecting. I'd love to get more! Easily the best Souls-like NOT FromSoft game I've ever played or seen.

More of it will certainly make waiting for new FromSoft Souls-like titles much easier!

Was thinking the same. More and more these days it seems it pays better to wait for patches to games to get their true form.
Nothing wrong with waiting, but this game was fairly polished at release. This new patch makes it even easier.
The OG difficulty while hard was not something that you couldn't beat and this is coming from a relative Souls like noob.

The Snake

Nothing wrong with waiting, but this game was fairly polished at release. This new patch makes it even easier.
The OG difficulty while hard was not something that you couldn't beat and this is coming from a relative Souls like noob.
Yeah I'm surprised they're even talking about balancing at all. The game is pretty damn polished.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Was thinking the same. More and more these days it seems it pays better to wait for patches to games to get their true form.
Is this a kind of Ponzi scheme ;)? We should all wait for patches informed by the feedback of player… ah everyone is waiting for the patches, right…

I am really curious as to what new unique weapons the DLC will bring to the game? I will be very unlikely to play DLC again if it is nothing substantial.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I haven't played it yet, but my first reaction was "Decreased item damage".

Nice that they're supporting it, I'll definitely jump in at some point. It looks like good fun.

Top Bottom