• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P dodge mechanic will be adjusted after the demo's feedback

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a homicidal French robot.​

The recently released demo for Lies of P has earned plenty of praise from players who have enjoyed its meaty combat systems, but one aspect of the game that has drawn criticism is its dodge move. In response to feedback of this crucial gameplay mechanic, game director Jiwon Choi says that changes will be made to the dodge ability before the Pinocchio Souls-like launches in September.

"In Lies of P, dodging and guarding are one of the most crucial elements, alongside the P-Organ," Choi explained. "Given the inherent intricacies of the game's structure, it is imperative to handle these elements meticulously with great care. We are currently undergoing a comprehensive evaluation on the various aspects of the dodging system, including the invincibility frames, distance mechanics, and more. Our team of developers is fully committed to delivering an exceptional combat experience that not only maintains the essence of enjoyment but also reflects the precise attention to detail required."

4155708-alloallo.jpg
Loading video

Later in the video, Choi also spoke about upcoming improvements to the combat system. Character movement, lock-on mechanics, and camera controls will be fine-tuned, and the "sensation of impactful hits" is being further refined. On top of that, developer Neowiz is looking at tweaking enemy movements so that players can respond more intuitively to "off-beat" attacks from these foes. "Our aspiration is to make Lies of P more inclusive for players to embrace the Souls-like genre and find joy in playing it," Choi said.

Over on Steam, there has been a lot of interest in Lies of P, as the demo was downloaded over a million times in just three days. The game borrows several elements from Bloodborne, and while that From Software classic has yet to receive a sequel or a 4K remaster, modders have begun adding Bloodborne gear to Lies of P on PC.

Lies of P is scheduled to launch September 19 for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC, as well as Game Pass, and for more details, you can check out everything that we know about Lies of P.

Even that would be better than "bouffant P".
I actually wouldn't hate it. Not a fan of the pretty boy emo look. I'd rather a gritty looking toy kind of appearance

Side note, I hope they change the parry too. It felt so awkward. Elden rings attacts and dodges were so delayed, but they were manageable. LOP felt strange.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Will be interesting to see how they change it.

I'll still probably go with a focus on perfect parries, as it was pretty lenient in the demo.

Yes. The last boss is super easy when you start using it. The timing window is very long for most attacks and I'm generally bad at parrying in games.

The glowing red attacks can be perfect parried/blocked.
I'll give it a try again when it releases. Maybe I just assumed you couldn't parry certain attacks.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'll give it a try again when it releases. Maybe I just assumed you couldn't parry certain attacks.
I believe certain attacks can't be dodged or blocked normally, but perfect parry works. There's also a grab that I think you have to dodge (not sure if perfect parry works on these).

I believe certain attacks can't be dodged or blocked normally, but perfect parry works. There's also a grab that I think you have to dodge (not sure if perfect parry works on these).
I guess that's what I mean. I very much noticed how little you dodged backwards. It was like a single step length lol

Drizzlehell

Banned
How do they even come up with these ideas? Do they literally just throw a dildo at a whiteboard with public domain characters in one column and crossover genre in the other?

Pinocchio souls-like, Ebenezer Scrooge metroidvania... next we're gonna get Rumpelstiltskin zombie survival game.

Gambit2483

That dodge felt incredibly off.

Why not do something where if you dodge twice you roll on the 2nd dodge, gain greater distance but lose a bigger chunk of stamina? Not enough to disadvantage you unless you abuse it.

Bartski

Gold Member
Kudos to the dev for transparency but tbh I'm not even sure what the problem is, I thought the dodge felt fine... The perfect parry window however - off, really stingy and way less reliable? As opposed to some opinions I'm seeing on both. Weird. Excited to check it out as soon as I can

simpatico

I hope they update the demo. The game has a lot going for it, but the input delay on the dodge and it's duration were just wrong. Hopefully the input delay isn't an engine limitation.

How do they even come up with these ideas? Do they literally just throw a dildo at a whiteboard with public domain characters in one column and crossover genre in the other?

Pinocchio souls-like, Ebenezer Scrooge metroidvania... next we're gonna get Rumpelstiltskin zombie survival game.
Idk man didn't seem terrible to me. I always thought it'd be cool to have a souls game like Alice and wonderland. Bastardize and demonize fairtail characters and make cool boss fights.

The input delay was added to 30+% weight. There is practicallly none below that threshhold. Even at 30% it is amazing compared to Dark Souls 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom