• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
HoN you only get a lot of 15 min concede due to smurfs. I am not sure how this will affect DoTA 2 (it might be a problem if the game is free to play, people will just make various steam accounts to smurf). In LoL, if you are playing ranked matches, I would expect less concede votes in comparsion to HoN, since it match you against people at your skill level, and people are less likely to smurf in LoL.

Ferrio

Banned
I really hate the shop UI. Maybe I've been spoiled on LoL's shop, who knows. But everything is small as hell. I had an easier time in DOTA 1's shop.

Sibylus

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
Yes, I've been in that situation in both LoL and HoN. It's a little blue-ballin', but I don't really give a shit if I finish or not. If it's a win, it's a win. Why should I care if I get to blow up their base? There's no reason to drag it out unless you hate yourself if you're losing or the other team if you're winning.
The ending being written directly after the climax is only a convenience to those who don't give a damn about the story to begin with, who only care for the outcome and not the journey. Well, I think it goes without saying that Dota 2 should be creating an environment that fosters appreciation for the journey, not one that only notes outcomes and treats teams and teammates as means to an end. I like my endings after the denouement, not before, and I believe the game will be the better for encouraging players to win and lose well.

Conceptor

Artanisix said:
Question for gif makers. What's a good way to make gifs out of fraps'd videos?
orangecaramel made a really good/informative post in the gif neotutorial thread about using photoshop and videos, so I'd just follow that.

Sebulon3k said:
Would you say it's like playing against the Dire and your own team!?!?!?!?!
:lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Is reporting broken? Asshole went afk and ruined the game. I did it once a week ago but for some reason it's not letting me report him now, not that anyone else is since they all dc'd instantly...

Edit: Oh, servers are down? Guess that's why.

x3r0123

Sebulon3k said:
I don't think so, those usually happen on Thursday.

hmmm let me rephrase that. Do you think they are preparing for a big update for this thursday by making the servers offline?

Swag

NameGenerated said:
Is reporting broken? Asshole went afk and ruined the game. I did it once a week ago but for some reason it's not letting me report him now, not that anyone else is since they all dc'd instantly...
The timing on this post is almost too good
KuGsj.gif

x3r0123 said:
hmmm let me rephrase that. Do you think they are preparing for a big update for this thursday by making the servers offline?
Possibly but it would be the first time I've seen them do something like this.

Conceptor

Artanisix said:
WONDERFUL, thank you so much. This is perfect.
You're welcome! Although OC is the one to thank really. Quality gifs showing off different mechanics/concepts in action would benefit everyone :)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I meant they all dc'd after the game finished so I was clearly the only one trying to report him and the game over screen. Despite the servers being down, the game went on as normal.

He (Omniknight) went afk then at the end started casting all his spells in the fountain then committed suicide by running into their team.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Ferrio said:
I really hate the shop UI. Maybe I've been spoiled on LoL's shop, who knows. But everything is small as hell. I had an easier time in DOTA 1's shop.
LoL shop isn't very good.

Botolf said:
The ending being written directly after the climax is only a convenience to those who don't give a damn about the story to begin with, who only care for the outcome and not the journey. Well, I think it goes without saying that Dota 2 should be creating an environment that fosters appreciation for the journey, not one that only notes outcomes and treats teams and teammates as means to an end. I like my endings after the denouement, not before, and I believe the game will be the better for encouraging players to win and lose well.
This is a game we're talking about, not a novel.

More importantly, it's a multiplayer game.

Most importantly, it's a competitive multiplayer game.

Your arguments become less and less valid for each statement above.

Neki

Togglesworlh said:

you don't play dota for the story?

I certainly do

Ikuu said:
LoL shop isn't very good.

In spite of a few shortcomings, I'd say it's very good.

DotA's shop seems to be somewhat improved, although it's not difficult once you learn where everything is.

Then again, what isn't easy once you learn how to do it?

Ultimoo said:
you don't play dota for the story?

I certainly do
Hah. I get where he's coming from. Player-driven stories are the reason MMOs [should] exist. The lack of that is why I think MMOs continuously fail to reach their full potential. I could muse for hours and hours about what makes a truly great MMO, and it would all match up perfectly with his argument. However, this is a 5v5 competitive multiplayer game, where your goal is not to create a story, but to win.

Of course, the idea is you have fun in the process, whether you're winning or losing, but the goal - the entire point of the game - is to win, win, win. And when games can last up to an hour, and when none of us are actually getting paid to play, and when we just want to get back into the game and try again, maybe with a new team, maybe learning something from our last failure, WHATEVER. We want to do it quickly. We don't want to waste time watching the other team dick around with our severely drained defenses.

Ugh, I want to fucking play but I got so much fucking homework due tonight.

For this Thursday, I'd love to see Centaur put in the game, or maybe Treant.

nilbog21

Banned
ya the shops in dota 2 are very nice. only took me 1 game to figure it all out

is there any place where gaffers hang out? not sure how this works

Sibylus

Banned
Togglesworlh said:

Your arguments become less and less valid for each statement above.
Twoggle, I know you're not a dyed-in-the-wool literalist. Stop pretending to be one.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
There is a question I've purpose, can someone post pictures of the colourblind option and what the game looks like it with it on? I saw it in the menus when they were showing them off and been wanting to see it.

Forkball

I'M THE GREATEST

E6341E8EB50A6E7D93EF30E4F9528EA8522D1BEB

Dazzle is actually pretty fun, I'll think I'll use him a bit more. I kind of wish his healing spell was a bit more powerful but the cooldown is low so it balances out. I'm just glad I finally won a match and didn't die a dozen times.

Also can someone explain to me how the courier works?

Yes I crossposted this, I didn't mean to put it in the first thread.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
shintoki said:
There is a question I've purpose, can someone post pictures of the colourblind option and what the game looks like it with it on? I saw it in the menus when they were showing them off and been wanting to see it.

Colorblind mode isn't active yet.

Forkball said:
I'M THE GREATEST

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594702185003256315/E6341E8EB50A6E7D93EF30E4F9528EA8522D1BEB/

Dazzle is actually pretty fun, I'll think I'll use him a bit more. I kind of wish his healing spell was a bit more powerful but the cooldown is low so it balances out. I'm just glad I finally won a match and didn't die a dozen times.

Yes I crossposted this, I didn't mean to put it in the first thread.

Ew, bronies.

The courier can deliver items to you without having to walk back to base.

Hylian7

Wow, uhhh, I just tried Morphling and sucked horribly. I'm not touching him again until I learn everyone else for sure.

Also, I seriously need to get the hang of items other than just "buy off the reccomended items". Somehow I ended up with a 606HP Morphling by end game. Clearly I did something wrong and my teammates were calling me on it.

Artanisix

Hylian7 said:
Wow, uhhh, I just tried Morphling and sucked horribly. I'm not touching him again until I learn everyone else for sure.

Also, I seriously need to get the hang of items other than just "buy off the reccomended items". Somehow I ended up with a 606HP Morphling by end game. Clearly I did something wrong and my teammates were calling me on it.

HAHAHA. Sounds like you accidentally morphed all your strength into agi!

Hylian7

Artanisix said:
HAHAHA. Sounds like you accidentally morphed all your strength into agi!
Yeah....on top of the Ult being intimidating when you don't know all the Heroes, I was a little confused on when to use the E and D moves as well. I ended up sticking to Q and W most of the time, and the results were not good.

Hylian7

I'm going to keep the Dota 2 wiki open in the other monitor so I can check out skills and such during picking. It's kind of annoying that those other tabs aren't implemented yet.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Personally, I think a 30 minute Concede would work fine, needing 4/5 votes. You can come back from a bad start, but there is a point when the outcome is really obvious.

The courier can deliver items to you, and can be used to buy items from the secret shop remotely. You can transfer your item from your stash to the courier, and then have the courier walk/fly to you. Just be careful to not get it in harms way, the thing has about 50 HP, and will die really easily.

You can make the courier just use autopathing to get to you, or directly control it. I have actually seen some people have the support characters manually guide the courier to a player to keep it out of harms way.

The relevant Hot Keys once selected are E and D. E is the third option, it makes the courier grab the items from your stash. D is the 4th option, it makes the courier bring the items to you. The Flying courier also has a haste skill on a 40 second cooldown, and some sort of shield (Not to sure how it works). I would recommend simply binding the courier to the C button, so you can easily access it.

Max

I am not Max
Is it a bug that I got an abandonment point from a practice game?

I assume stats will be reset one day anyway, right?

OCD.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I believe it is a bug, and I still think Valve will reset the win:loss thing when the game is out of beta. Heck, they will likely do it once that XP system is actually implemented.

Question: Are the bots about on par with the bots from the War3 Dota AI maps?

Cuz playing a couple of games bots is the only dota I've ever played, and they seemed pretty competent.

A little too aggro on me particularly :)P), but they seemed to instinctively know when to gank or push. Even went out of their way to save my ass a couple of times.

If the bots are roughly as good or even improved, I'd find it a good option to practice.

Also, regarding the concede discussion, well, I've seen my brother play dota for years.

And he played on garena (before moving to F2P HoN), which is believe me a hotbed for AFKers, laggers, DCers.

At least 2-3 out of every five games , someone would leave or lag out in first 10 mins, and everybody just shrugged it off and played on. The thinking was, it would balances out because the Xp/gold per sec is then divided amongst the remaining, giving them a boost.(!? I dunno if this is true or not for the gold trickling in)

At the end of the day, didn't matter if you were on or even two men down. The better team won. Even in a 3 v 5 if the other team played badly.

I think a 20 min 5/5, and a 35 min 4/5 vote is fine.

Or as Botolf suggested, a glyph of decimation thing, with is a damn fine idea IMO.

My brother hates wasting time on foregone games, so even when he was winning comfortably, he would be the only one going and attacking the ancient to end the game, while rest of his team would continue farming uber items, even though enemy was holed up cowering in fountain.

MrKnives

dorkimoe said:
i need to get better at farming. I am always 2-3 levels behind people

Since when farming = leveling up.
Just try not to die early on and be sure to have tangos or potions with you so you don't have to run to your base to heal every other minute. If you die early on just buy a tp and go back to your lane.
If you are both melee vs ranged and they are harassing you (why are you in this place to begin with?) just stay back in like 1200 radius and you will get exp points at least. Ask people to gank them or something to get them off your back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom