• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 is hemorrhaging players.

I never played DOTA2 until the Source 2 update, but I haven't really encountered anything that has ruined the game for me or given me any grief (apart from Riki but you know, I'm new...). This seems confusing to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
dustin-browder4csrl.jpg

Service games tend to fluctuate very heavily based on how they handle events and updates. They can salvage this pretty easily by fixing things and putting out new content more frequently.

Nokterian

UI is a huge cluster fuck getting to your stuff is just obnoxious and changing like gear on your hero's is not easier as before or weather types. They need to fix this is asap.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
There's a looooot of questionable UI changes, imo.

The game issues themselves are being fixed quickly, but....for w/e reason, it doesn't seem as appealing as the original client.

That being said, we're now back in school time, and the post TI craze is wearing off. It'll likely come back up.

Cleve

I think it's probably hots pulling away some of the casual players and lots of the big AAA releases starting to trickle out, and just a normal lull more than it is the reborn bullshit, but valve really do need to fix this shit asap.

mephixto

Banned
The Reborn and Source 2 updates have been less than well received in the Dota 2 community, with the game losing 16% of its playerbase in the past month. Source 2 and Reborn have also been a comedy of errors with an abysmal UI (which has since been fixed) and many bugs.

Should Valve go back to Source 1 while making Reborn more polished? Maybe people are just bored of Dota in general and are moving to CS:GO and other games?

The Source 1 version of Dota 2 took years to be that polished, go figure how long it will take the Source 2 version to get to that level, UI is fine just need more tweaks and clean the bugs.

Everytime Dota releases a new hat it starts losing players. The community is full of a bunch of shitters. Once all the issues have been worked out with reborn everything will be back to normal.

Interfectum

I bet the botched Reborn Client + HOTS has a lot to do with it. I can see a lot of casual moba players jumping ship to Blizzard's game.

When LoL changed their UI a few months ago, everyone said the same thing, yet it's totally fine.

People will be back. It's an addictive game.

Zareth

People have to remember that school has started back up to, so that has to have affected their numbers quite a bit as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How is that "haemorrhaging players"?

Surely by the same token, CSGO is "haemorrhaging players" based on the same dip currently - http://steamcharts.com/app/730

Same with TF2 - http://steamcharts.com/app/440

Meaningful events are not currently ongoing and school folk are back on term time. There are probably a bunch of other reasons too.
Maybe I'm reading something incorrectly, but "Past 30 Days" is listed as only -0.85% for Counter-Strike.

Yeah I just started up again after a year and it's really awful what Valve did to the game. It's not unplayable but Dota deserves better. They clearly weren't ready for going live with Source 2, I don't understand why they didn't keep the beta going for a while longer.

Eventually they'll get their shit together and there'll be a big tournament that players will come back for. 6.85 is pretty good so far.

Haunted

The new UI is amazing.

It's just jarring to go back from a finished, polished product to a janky mess in beta, even if it does look much slicker now.

Com_Raven

As others have said, I wouldn't base a trend on just one month, especially with The International. Basically, August is the year's apex for public and media interest in Dota 2, so it would make more sense to see August as an outlier and the months before and after as "normal".

DrArchon

The 6.85 patch only came out very recently, so I'm sure it was dropping even faster before that. At lot of people were getting very tired of the meta.

But yeah, Reborn is a total mess. I can't even play a lot of my favorite game modes, like Ability Draft because they just don't work. Not to mention having to wait at the start of every match for people to reconnect because someone is guaranteed to disconnect.

Majors are coming, and surely some sort of winter or pairity based event. I thought Dota was going to peak after the TI 4 prize pool and then TI 5 showed me how ridiculous that was.

Nzyme32

Maybe I'm reading something incorrectly, but "Past 30 Days" is listed as only -0.85% for Counter-Strike.

The listed 16% drop is inaccurate compared to the graph. The most notable drop in peak player numbers was before the Reborn patch came out of beta. The actual numbers stay fairly consistent. The same kind of drop is seen across a lot of games, so I concluded it likely is something effecting many of the player base at this time of year - school / college / university kicks off.

It could easily be something else though

Berna

That actually supposedly dropped down. It's certainly running better on my potato laptop than the Source 1 version did.

Actually there are graphics cards supported by Source 1 that are not supported by Reborn.
Your graphics card falls below our official minimum specs, which have not been changed in the transition to Dota 2 Reborn.

When running under the Source 1 engine, that did not prevent the game from working because the engine was not designed around the full capabilities of the minimum spec for graphic cards. However, Dota 2 Reborn relies on graphics features such as vertex textures and shader model 3.0 and so adherence to the minimum spec is a stronger requirement than it was in Source 1 Dota 2.

Unfortunately this means that Dota 2 Reborn will not be able to run on some graphics cards from 2006 or before.
Though I do not believe it's the reason for that big drop.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The listed 16% drop is inaccurate compared to the graph. The most notable drop in peak player numbers was before the Reborn patch came out of beta. The actual numbers stay fairly consistent. The same kind of drop is seen across a lot of games, so I concluded it likely is something effecting many of the player base at this time of year - school / college / university kicks off.

It could easily be something else though

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is the average player count graph for Dota 2:

dota2bjkus.png

Kids and teenagers going to school, after a summer playing Dota2?

But it didn't go up when we hit the Summer. The peak for this year was in February-March when they hosted the last event and the post-February-March numbers were pretty static until recently.

Good. Let's keep that trend going. MOBAs should have a place at the table, but should not be one of the most popular games out there. I think it would lead to trends which would change the gaming industry into making more games I no longer enjoy.

TI was in August, that was a peak, then Reborn had its rocky launch, people got bored of the meta, lot of things coming together. It is noticable.

This is a graph that tracks how it's Monthly Active Users changed since September 2013. A former r/csgo mod made it to compare how GO advanced.

https://infogr.am/unique-players-dota2csgo

It peaked once with the second New Bloom (it was when the game went over 1m CCU) at 11m MAU, then dropped down and slowly went up again. Then it quickly peaked again during TI with 12m MAU and now when you got to the Dota site it lists 11.3m MAU. Almost dropped down a million in MAU in a month.

Interfectum

But it didn't go up when we hit the Summer. The peak for this year was in February-March when they hosted the last event and the post-February-March numbers were pretty static until recently.

Also, 2013 and 2014 didn't see a massive drop during "back to school time" either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Good. Let's keep that trend going. MOBAs should have a place at the table, but should not be one of the most popular games out there. I think it would lead to trends which would change the gaming industry into making more games I no longer enjoy.

Given how the game held despite a new, notably popular MOBA entering the industry, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Er, it's not that bad. Some bugs have been frustrating (can't tab out on OSX, weird typing error, and king of all rage is the infamous 'targeting' bug), but there's no more than were in Source 1. It just needs to get up to speed.

It's all worth it for the custom games in my opinion.

I bet the botched Reborn Client + HOTS has a lot to do with it. I can see a lot of casual moba players jumping ship to Blizzard's game.

Why would casual moba players be playing Dota in the first place? League is already a more relaxed moba. I don't really believe HOTS has anything to do with this.

Klossen

Banned

You don't know true pain until all your friends who you used to play games with daily, jump on DOTA 2 never to look back again.

A hilariously tough and complex game being of the most successful games in history is rather reassuring and poses a balance to press A for awesome AAA games, don't you think?

Nzyme32

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is the average player count graph for Dota 2:

dota2bjkus.png

I used the sliders to select that area and looked at the more detailed graph above. Between late August to September 1st it drops from around 920,000 to 860,000 - 800,000 peak, and that continues consistently. So it isn't the Reborn release, which occurred around Sep 10th. The same thing happened with other games to a lesser extent, but then again no other game has those kind of numbers

Most selfish post of 2015?

Top Bottom