• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota Underlords beta is out now

Helios

As Valve describes it, “Dota Underlords is a new stand-alone game that pits you against seven opponents in a battle of wits that will have you building, combining, and leveling-up a crew in a battle of dominance for the city of White Spire. In this game, victory is determined not by twitch reflexes, but by superior tactics.”

In other words, it’s totally Auto Chess. Valve said it was working on its own version of the popular modl ess than a month ago, and it looks like those plans are paying off already. In the official announcement, Valve says it’s still “fairly early in development,” and will be soliciting feedback from players with an in-game submission form for the foreseeable future.

In its current form, Underlords supports online play against seven other players, offline play against AI bots at a variety of difficulty levels, and party play. This release is intended primarily as a stress test, and the open beta will follow “approximately a week” of stress testing, and will add ranked matchmaking.

Tempted to try it but never played auto chess or ever got into dota.
Other 2 options:
TFT - based on LOL
Auto Chess - born as a mod on Dota 2 and now a exclusive Epic game.

Hope you have fun. I would also recommend checking some Twitch streams. Watching gameplay may help.

Neolombax

Gold Member
Based on just mobile gameplay, I much prefer Auto Chess than Underlords. It looks better and performs better.

Manus

Screenshot-20190706-093026.jpg

Level 3 Shadow Fiend just destorys.

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
Sooo... basically Valve is letting this game die?

Now it is about at 6000 concurrent players a day without significant updates in terms of contents.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I'm just not sure what all new content you can add to an auto battler

Any suggestions?

New characters I can see, but outside of that I think it'd be a bit hard to create new content for a game that plays itself, mostly

Rikkori

There's lots you can do to keep it fresh, TFT is doing better on this front I feel like. Gotta have lots of rosters and alt-personas for heroes, experiment with new modes etc. And as always, it's vital to have something to grind for and with, but Underlords is ace in this respect with the district stuff.

Personally D:UL has been great for me, I think I put in almost 300hrs now just playing it solo vs bots while listening to audiobooks & podcasts. But it has sorta reached an end now also, and there's not much news for a refresh. They definitely need to increase the update pace.

Castef

Banned
I'm just not sure what all new content you can add to an auto battler

Any suggestions?

I guess you are not a DOTA Underlords player from the answer.

They have something like 10/12 champions already developed and ready (they were in the "alpha" and have been removed for the "beta"... to be re-added later).

And those champions had their own synergies, so currently there is plenty of material to be added (in rotation, I guess) to shuffle things a bit.

Also the season seems blocked since january, with no new content.

Overall, with the exception of patches, the game seems abandoned.

FrozenFlame

Personally D:UL has been great for me, I think I put in almost 300hrs now just playing it solo vs bots while listening to audiobooks & podcasts. But it has sorta reached an end now also, and there's not much news for a refresh. They definitely need to increase the update pace.

Lol, I genuinely wonder how many Dota Underlords players are like us, just casually playing it against bots. I think I only played against players... 5 ~ 10 times? But yeah, it has reached the point that I need to find something else to entertain my mind while listening to music or talking with friends. I wish they switched up some characters, even if it was bringing back the ones that they removed.

Rikkori

Lol, I genuinely wonder how many Dota Underlords players are like us, just casually playing it against bots. I think I only played against players... 5 ~ 10 times? But yeah, it has reached the point that I need to find something else to entertain my mind while listening to music or talking with friends. I wish they switched up some characters, even if it was bringing back the ones that they removed.

Yeah, and I think they would do well to concentrate on the pve aspects more. The problem for multiplayer is that it gets figured out & stale too quickly. I honestly think auto-chess is more a tower-defence replacement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom