• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dipping on Digital/Physical for Switch

AppleBlade

I was thinking of getting back into collecting physical switch games (With the goal of amassing a complete physical library).

However there are some games that would be more convenient digitally (games that lend themselves to quick sessions or multiplayer games that I go back to a lot).

I'm a bit at odds on what to do about this.

Double Dipping is one solution. Does anyone actively do this? Why? What is the most economical way of doing this on a Nintendo console?

Normally, I'd think it would be digital first and then physical when it's on sale or used. However right now With the Best Buy Spend 100 get 25 back Visa deal and my Best Buy Gamer Club I basically can get new games for almost half off. Would that be smart to do right now? As for the eshop, I will get some rewards from the physical purchases which I can turn into eshop credit and then I could keep an eye out for deals on Eshop credit (It seems like 15% off pops up every now and then) and then wait for an eshop sale to stack the savings.

Thoughts?

Neoweee

Don't Double Dip on Nintendo systems. The resell value of their games remains high, and they have the industry's worst digital rights management.

georly

I double dip on zelda games so i can play them whenever i want but also display them on my shelf.

It's your money, do what makes you happy.

Don't Double Dip on Nintendo systems. The resell value of their games remains high, and they have the industry's worst digital rights management.

To be fair, we know literally ZERO about how switch will handle them, but their track record isn't great so I wouldn't recommend putting any faith in it just yet either.

The leak seems to imply it'll be tied to your account which you can put on multiple systems, like a ps4, but who knows if that's actually still true today. Nintendo has been scarily silent on the matter.

I think the only game I double dipped on WiiU was Tropical Freeze, and that's only because it was Club Nintendo award. Then again, I don't have much confidence in Nintendo accounts and DRM.

I'm buying like 3 copies of Zelda including a digital one. Not sure I see the point in buying both versions on any console for every game, though

I rarely double dip on Nintendo games, unless they are called Pokémon.

On other platforms I usually do it when I want a copy to keep sealed.

I'll only double dip on a game if it's something I'd like to have conveniently available on my system at all times and even then, I'll wait until a deep discount. I always buy a physical copy first.

For example: I'm buying a physical copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris at launch, but I'll grab a digital copy once it's on sale for, like, $10.

Bloodborne is one of my favorite game ever, but I waited until the digital version was on sale for $7 before double dipping.

OP, if you have only the care to show off your physical copies but only were able to buy it digitally, you can always print the cover and insert it in a fake box/display box.

I know, it's a very stupid idea, but it just might work if you just want to show off without double dipping.

I'll do it the same way I do on the Vita. Get it all physical where possible, get the digital version when on sale for an unmissable price.

And given how Nintendo do their sales, I'm going all physical.

On Wii U, I bought The Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World digitally first (TWW came with the bundle), and then bought physical copies when they became Nintendo Selects titles later so I could put them on the shelf and free up space on my system.

Only game I plan to double dip on is Splatoon 2 so my wife and I can play together. Going pure physical for as many games as possible otherwise.

Head.spawn

The hell. Usually double dipping isn't on the same platform or maybe at the very least it's for added convenience when digital price hits the bottom.

That seems a little weird, but not my money I guess.

OP, if you have only the care to show off your physical copies but only were able to buy it digitally, you can always print the cover and insert it in a fake box/display box.

I know, it's a very stupid idea, but it just might work if you just want to show off without double dipping.

This is probably the most economical way to do this haha

AppleBlade

You wanna spend $120 per game? Have fun with that.
If you read my post again, Right now I can get preorder a $60 physical game for $36 b/c I'm in Best Buy Gamers Club (20% off) and they currently have a Visa Checkout deal that stack on top of that for $25 off a $100 purchase. On top of that I get reward points that I can turn into EShop credit. My thinking is that I can pick up Eshop credit whenever it's on sale and then wait for the digital game to go on sale. Also, I'm not going to do this for every game, Only for things like 1-2 Switch, Tetris and other games that I play in quick burst. I wouldn't do this for something like Zelda, Skyrim or Mario. For those games I'm fine with just the physical copy as I'll play all the way through and be done with it.

BlakeofT

With things like Amazon Prime and Best Buy GCU, I find that the best time to buy Nintendo published games in physical format is day 1. Still though, I would rarely if ever buy a full priced game more than once. Just carry a plastic game case with you.

ViolentP

I've only double-dipped when I can replace my physical copy with a digital copy and I give the physical away. Since you are trying to collect the entire library, I think that justifies the digital purchase for usage. Though I don't understand why you would want to collect the entire library unless for resale value and even at that point, may as well lean into it and keep all your physical copies sealed.

ViolentP

people see switch stuff as something that should be collected. Its strange.

Just play the games.

Collecting stuff is usually a horrible idea.

I think having something to collect is a positive action so long as it doesn't become an obsession. Personally, I collect books. I can only assume game collectors feel similar in their hobby which is why I try not to lead with my personal opinion that collecting games without profit motivations is a silly idea.

If you are rich enough to buy 2 copies of every switch game then I'm pretty sure you could probably stretch to getting a third for me and doing that eould be the only way i wouldn't tell you its all a dumb idea

Buying physical copies of games solely for the purpose of putting them on a shelf for people to be able to see sounds incredibly weird.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Buying physical copies of games solely for the purpose of putting them on a shelf for people to be able to see sounds incredibly weird.

yes, well, there's whole threads for custom box art for people desperately trying to make their hobby look cool, so it goes hand in hand

JP

Jesus, this reminds me of one of those "It's probably going to be cheaper if I buy two Switch consoles" threads that we get on here. I'm starting to wonder if Nintendo are actually paying people to post "Seriously, buy two copies of stuff" threads online.

I'd be happier if nobody here mentioned anything about the two NES Minis that I own, although technically one is well on it's way to being a SNES Mini.
��

Platy

I'm glad that 'homebrew' is just a clever way to say 'piracy' these days.

It was a joke with "double dipping is one way to do it". No it is the ONLY way to do it for at least a year.

That being said, is it considered piracy if you download a digital game while owning a physical copy ?

It is not like you are even emulating the hardware...

Top Bottom