• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DPVR reveals new VR headset: 'DPVR E4'. Targeting PC gamers. $549(!)($499 early bird) preorders Nov.30th. 4K display, 120Hz, 116° FOV. Launches Jan 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPVR-E4-Portada.jpg
FipWPVbXwAAH049.jpg

DPVR-E4-headset.jpg

In terms of features, E4 utilizes a HDMI interface, which supports a 120Hz refresh rate on a SHARP 4K fast LCD screen. The headset also continues to utilize the more cost-effective Fresnel lens, however, the overall device design is more compact than other tethered PC VR headsets on the market, weighing in at just 280g (not including the head strap). E4 also offers a greater FoV than devices such as the Meta Quest 2, as well as inside-out tracking thanks to the headset’s four camera sensors. E4 also features a unique flip-up design that allows users to quickly switch in and out of VR during play sessions.
DPVR E4 Pricing & Release Date

E4 is available to order starting from Nov 30. DPVR will be showcasing its new VR headset at the VRdays exhibition in Rotterdam this week (Nov 30-Dec 2, Booth 14). The official price of DPVR E4 is $549, with early bird pricing available at $499 for the first 2,000 units purchased between Nov 30-December 31. Devices will begin shipping before Jan 15, 2023. DPVR will also be holding a launch event in China next month, where the full specifications and features of E4 will be announced. The launch event will be live streamed and available to watch via www.dpvr.com.

Minimum PC Specs Requirements​

Operation SystemWindows® 10 or higher
Processor/CPUIntel® Core™ i5, i7 or Intel® Xeon® E3-1240 V5 AMD Ryzen 5 equivalent or Greater
GPUNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 equivalent or greater
Memory8GB RAM or more
Video OutputDisplayPort™ 1.3

Immerse in 4K Crystal-clear Graphics​

4K high-resolution LCD screen with 120
Hz refresh rate, offers ultra-sharp visuals
and minimized screen-door effects.
Enjoy life-like graphics in the virtual reality
world.

6 DoF Upgraded Precise Tracking & Control​

Inside-out tracking, 4 camera sensors.
No base station required, 6 DoF control
whenever you want, anywhere, for a more
accurate and realistic gaming experience.

Wide FOV 116°​

Close to the field of view of the human eye,
providing wider vision and a more immersive
experience.

Enjoy 7000+ VR games in the SteamVR Store​

E4 virtual reality headset completely compatible with Steam VR Games, including titles
across Action, Adventure, Casual, RPG, Simulation, Strategy, Sports and Racing, etc.
Give you epic gaming experience. Half-Life Alyx
DPVR-E4-2K-4K.png

Sooooo.

This happened out of nowhere. Better specs in areas than the PSVR2 and yet not all the specs have been revealed yet they are keeping some back until the big reveal stream.

The headset is light at 280G, has 4K visuals, 116 degree FOV which is among the biggest so far, and comes with some decent looking controller on top of that. The only weakness depending on the person I can see so far with the specs we DO now of is that it uses a Sharp fast LCD instead of OLED. But it seems the tech behind the display is pretty good. Looking around more the company aims to dominate the PCVR market which I think it has a very good chance of doing.

The price is where the punches come in, it will officially launch at the SAME price as the PSVR2 BUT, the first 2,000 buyers who buy between Nov 30th when pre-orders come up, until Dec 31st can get it for only $499. Either way it makes it cheaper than other PCVR headsets, the same or less than PSVR2, and has better specs than many PCVR headsets and the PSVR2 in some areas, and we still have yet to know all the specs.

It has access to it's own games, as well as SteamVR, which means it has all the hit PCVR games but at an affordable price point and great specs.

The minimum requirements listed above means you don't need a dynamite rig to use it either, it just makes things better. This creates greater accessibility and you won't have to pay thousands for a rig, or $500 for a PS5 to use it.

Worse yet, it launches fully by Jan 15th 2023, beating the PSVR2 by a bit over a month.

This isn't looking good for PSVR2 at all. This is also the companies first non-enterprise/B2B headset aiming for consumers, and so far they seem to have gotten everything right with more yet to come.

....It's over.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No eye tracking and bare minimum oculus knock off controls with no special features. Lol @ trying to use the PC library like its selling point when you can access it with any other so you might as well get a stand alone kit a la Quest 3, or whatever comes next year, to also have that usability/library.

Tracking is also not that easy to get on par with Oculus as companies like HTC and Microsoft (with the WMR stuff) have proven with some duds here and there when not using the lighthouse tracking on PC so they really need to do a good demonstration of that aspect to even be considered at all.

Last edited:
No OLED screen or PS5 compatibility either.
It’s not competing with PSVR2.

This is illogical.

VR consumers will go where the best affordable VR is, and if that happens to be this with a low PC requirement that's going to be less consumers sony can pull in with PSVR2.

{S5 compatibility means very little when many of the most wanted games don't require it and for many will require a $500 purchase PLUS a $549 purchase, when they can pay just $549 for this (or 499.)

If SOny's goal is to sell more than PSVR1, headsets like this are a problem.

Where is eye tracking?

Where is the haptics and adaptive triggers on the controllers?

People do seem to be reading the OP, but always seem to skip the part where t says "rest of the specs will be revealed at the reveal stream" for some reason.

Let us wait before we claim it doesn't have something because of just these base specs that the company put out.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
VR consumers will go where the best affordable VR is, and if that happens to be this with a low PC requirement
Um, a VR kit won't magically make PCVR games less demanding just because it lists some minimum spec. If you want high graphics on big titles like Alyx then you need a great PC so it'll never be as affordable as stand alone VR or even console VR with pricing similar to PS5+PSVR2.

Not that it's problematic as far as I care as long as the product's own apis or software overhead don't actually make things worse rather than be as light and efficient as possible, PC gaming competes against cheaper portables and consoles just fine, but, since you make that a point...

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Shanghai based company. Looks to be their 3rd or 4th release. Kind of wondered with all the knock off copying going on here.

I imagine the specs announced are the good specs and not the held back ones but I'm guessing.

Sure there's a market somewhere but it's not going after the PSVR2 crowd. Some decent parts inside.

bitbydeath

This is illogical.

VR consumers will go where the best affordable VR is, and if that happens to be this with a low PC requirement that's going to be less consumers sony can pull in with PSVR2.

{S5 compatibility means very little when many of the most wanted games don't require it and for many will require a $500 purchase PLUS a $549 purchase, when they can pay just $549 for this (or 499.)

If SOny's goal is to sell more than PSVR1, headsets like this are a problem.

Nah, doesn’t work like that when it’s a different medium. It could compete with other PC VR kits though.

CuNi

I was super interested until I read that it's not marker based but inside out.

Gosh darn it. I want a G2 competitor that uses the undeniably superior lighthouse system and not the stupid cameras that constantly lose track behind ones back.
I had hoped that one would come out before a Index 2 but it seems not.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What the fuxk is this thread? PCVR already exists and at better price points. Also good luck with those minimum specs, just buy a quest 2 instead and skip the PC.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

DPVR-E4-Portada.jpg
FipWPVbXwAAH049.jpg

DPVR-E4-headset.jpg

Minimum PC Specs Requirements​

Operation SystemWindows® 10 or higher
Processor/CPUIntel® Core™ i5, i7 or Intel® Xeon® E3-1240 V5 AMD Ryzen 5 equivalent or Greater
GPUNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 equivalent or greater
Memory8GB RAM or more
Video OutputDisplayPort™ 1.3

DPVR-E4-2K-4K.png

Sooooo.

This happened out of nowhere. Better specs in areas than the PSVR2 and yet not all the specs have been revealed yet they are keeping some back until the big reveal stream.

The headset is light at 280G, has 4K visuals, 116 degree FOV which is among the biggest so far, and comes with some decent looking controller on top of that. The only weakness depending on the person I can see so far with the specs we DO now of is that it uses a Sharp fast LCD instead of OLED. But it seems the tech behind the display is pretty good. Looking around more the company aims to dominate the PCVR market which I think it has a very good chance of doing.

The price is where the punches come in, it will officially launch at the SAME price as the PSVR2 BUT, the first 2,000 buyers who buy between Nov 30th when pre-orders come up, until Dec 31st can get it for only $499. Either way it makes it cheaper than other PCVR headsets, the same or less than PSVR2, and has better specs than many PCVR headsets and the PSVR2 in some areas, and we still have yet to know all the specs.

It has access to it's own games, as well as SteamVR, which means it has all the hit PCVR games but at an affordable price point and great specs.

The minimum requirements listed above means you don't need a dynamite rig to use it either, it just makes things better. This creates greater accessibility and you won't have to pay thousands for a rig, or $500 for a PS5 to use it.

Worse yet, it launches fully by Jan 15th 2023, beating the PSVR2 by a bit over a month.

This isn't looking good for PSVR2 at all. This is also the companies first non-enterprise/B2B headset aiming for consumers, and so far they seem to have gotten everything right with more yet to come.

....It's over.
Well interesting pattern you have there… I like the sales pitch about early birds and even more so how some specs may be better than we may think because this relatively unknown has not confirmed what they are. When you need to sell then hope springs eternal I guess 😂.

What did Jim R do to you?

Headset wise it is cheaper than others and seems wireless (edit: nope, not even that), but as you said no OLED and no HDR and the FOV advantage is minor compared to PSVR2. Curiously you miss out on eye tracking, I might be wrong but it does not seem the first time you do omit that.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People do seem to be reading the OP, but always seem to skip the part where t says "rest of the specs will be revealed at the reveal stream" for some reason.

Let us wait before we claim it doesn't have something because of just these base specs that the company put out.
Oh yeah, they leave eye tracking out of your sales pitch, I mean sorry the press release you posted up there in the OP :D. Let alone implementation of the features they promised being actually good, but again we are never too early to crap on PSVR2, but in this case we need to assume they save the best specs for last and their implementation is also very good… based on… track record?

OP, seems like a pattern, is a giant “Please do not buy PSVR2” sign.

Last edited:

hlm666

I was super interested until I read that it's not marker based but inside out.

Gosh darn it. I want a G2 competitor that uses the undeniably superior lighthouse system and not the stupid cameras that constantly lose track behind ones back.
I had hoped that one would come out before a Index 2 but it seems not.
The quest pro controllers have their own cameras so they track themselves so don't lose tracking. That will probably be the way you see controllers go rather than lightouse systems, you can also pickup the controllers standalone to use with a quest 2 apparently.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A PC VR headset has nothing to do with a console VR headset.

They’re not competing for the same audience. This is competing more with Oculus.

midnightAI

Well interesting pattern you… I like the sales pitch about early birds and that even more some specs may be better because we do not know them and when you need to sell hope springs eternal I guess 😂.

What did Jim R do to you?

Headset wise it is cheaper than others and seems wireless, but as you said no OLED and no HDR and the FOV advantage is minor compared to PSVR2. Curiously you miss out on eye tracking, might be wrong but it does not seem the first time you do.
Its not wireless, it's tethered

Larxia

I wish there were VR headset where you can adjust the focal plane so it works even if you're nearsighted.

I have a -4.25 prescription so anything above 20-25cm starts being blurry for me, and these vr headsets have lenses that pushes the image further to accomodate for people with regular vision, because otherwise it would be uncomfortable to watch something 10 cm away from your eyes.
It's normal and a good thing they did that for people without vision troubles, but I wish it was adjustable so I could set it to my own focal plane without needed additional prescription.

I know they make prescription vr lenses to replace the ones inside of the headsets, but I'm not sure how they work, because if the focal plane by default is like if the image was 1 meter away from you, I definitely don't need a full prescription for this, but something lower (which is already what I do for computer usage).

tommib

Pack it up, Sony. You lost Black Friday and now we have an LCD VR helmet that’s not compatible with the PS5 to ruin the party. Sony is doomed. How come Eddie isn’t banned yet? Free entertainment I guess.

Last edited:

CuNi

The quest pro controllers have their own cameras so they track themselves so don't lose tracking. That will probably be the way you see controllers go rather than lightouse systems, you can also pickup the controllers standalone to use with a quest 2 apparently.

Thank you for pointing this out to me.
Do they work reliably?
While I have no interest in buying anything that comes from META, their products tracking reliably would mean that other HMDs could also get similar upgrades.
While the G2 provides insanely good IQ, the tracking issues just kill all the momentum I have in games. And sadly, setting up the G2 to work with the lighthouses, so I can have the best of both worlds, is a bother too.

I don't deny that Inside-Out will be most likely what will be used in the future, but when I see how my Index performs compared to my HP G2, it's just worlds apart and makes me believe we're just not at a point where the headset can be affordable and have good enough hardware for tracking.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
How is HDMI better than USB-C?
HDMI is uncompressed low-latency goodness. Quest 2 is streaming from PC requiring additional 3gb of VRAM, full of compression artefacts (reduced color, tons of banding at any bitrate) and much higher latency. Not talking about glitches, tons of parameters and such crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom