• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 4 development was reportedly rebooted drastically in late 2017

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Even if Bioware get to split from EA it won't change anything. It could even be worse without funds provided by the editor. As it was highlighted most of the decisions for Anthem, if not all, were on the studio and not the editor.

And to be frank, most of the people that worked on the games that made Bioware's reputation are no longer there. Thus the evolution of the studio in an unexpected way. They changed the vision they had for their games. Maybe they also wanted to have à slice of the cake provided by live services but were not ready structurally nor technically to handle the changes in the company.
Has EA ever let a wholly owned developer split off before? I just don't see that ever happening. They would shut down Bioware and retain the IP.

ookami

Has EA ever let a wholly owned developer split off before? I just don't see that ever happening. They would shut down Bioware and retain the IP.
Good point. They might have been able de split if they only had a publishing deal with EA. I wonder what would be current Bioware without its IPs...

Yoda

Couldn't play DA:I for more than an hour so my hopes for the sequel were already in the gutter. They've really learnt nothing from their recent failures, DA is not a game which'll work in a GaaS model.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This might sound ignorant, but how difficult is it to make a video game? Can't they just plan it out, follow the plan and make it in a reasonable time? I know it's complicated, but everyone else seems to be able to do it. Ubisoft games are pretty dull but they come out like clockwork.
Planning is the problem. They didn't seem to have one with Anthem.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Live services. No thanks. That shit is cancer.

It’s too bad Microsoft can’t buy BioWare out from under EA and let them make the games they want to make.

Microsoft had (still has, most likely) enough money to straight up buy EA from repatriating overseas holdings (that's what Microsoft used for their studio shopping spree).

The thing is, and it's been covered ad nauseam, the talent that made BioWare what it is (was) is gone--it's a shell of it's former self...a husk, if you will, impaled on the spike of corporate greed and incompetence.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Even if Bioware get to split from EA it won't change anything. It could even be worse without funds provided by the editor. As it was highlighted most of the decisions for Anthem, if not all, were on the studio and not the editor.

And to be frank, most of the people that worked on the games that made Bioware's reputation are no longer there. Thus the evolution of the studio in an unexpected way. They changed the vision they had for their games. Maybe they also wanted to have à slice of the cake provided by live services but were not ready structurally nor technically to handle the changes in the company.

I've said it before when there was concern EA would can Bioware. Microsoft should pick them up.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Inquisition was an unfinished mess and it was still ok. I'm wait and see. I felt like Inquisition combat an unhappy medium between action and strategy i.e. mediocre action, mediocre strategy and my personal opinion is they should lean more towards one or the other. I prefer how DAO plays but I suppose it's ok if they lean more towards action a la WoW if they make the content not awful like an mmo full of garbage go-here-collect-this quests. I don't feel The Witcher 3 combat was that compelling either yet it's easier to stomach because there's a bit more story depth to the typical quest

Top Bottom