• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT2| June 12: Judgment Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
That was like 40 years ago in-universe.

I think I like Frieza Saga Goku best. He wasn't particularly stupid there but wasn't a typical hero either.

I mean, I know, but he never really got smarter. He just got stronger.

"I'm-a give you some of my power so you can survive Frieza."

Not particularly stupid, lol.

Verelios

It's worth noting that Goku was a goddamn idiot in the original Dragon Ball.
The thing is, he wasn't an idiot. Goku was naive and ignorant but that's only because he grew up in the mountains. He frequently showed cunning and mental acuity far above his age range. He was just overshadowed by Bulma's genius.

Russ T

Banned
The thing is, he wasn't an idiot. Goku was naive and ignorant but that's only because he grew up in the mountains. He frequently showed cunning and mental acuity far above his age range. He was just overshadowed by Bulma's genius.

Right, as we've discussed a bunch of times in this thread, he's a fighting genius. But when it comes to anything else... He's an idiot. Always has been, and, apparently, always will be.

maxresdefault.jpg

Always be the best filler.

Real Hero

oh yeah he's defiantly 'stupid' in a specific way. Fighting is where he showed of how he was smart

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You know they're doing it on purpose so it doesn't come as a surprise when he's the first to lose too

Manga spoilers:
And when he barely passes the entrance test and his choice in Buu fails I suppose. Either way it's one of the main reasons I hope Super isn't just the Goku/Vegeta show. That'd be pretty boring!

Shouta

Why is he still wearing the tracksuit? :(

He focused so much on studying that he lost his dougi is what Goku said. Gohan was ready to fight but apparently academic summits are more important, lol.

Goku and Vegeta are gonna spend 3 years in the Room of Spirit & Time based on their conversation at the end. They invited Piccolo but he declined because his body probably couldn't keep up with them. He decided to spend the 3 days mental focusing instead, heh.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
People were wondering because there's been an 8 month or so timeskip since he lost it before the fight with Freeza. Logic would think that would have given plenty of time to get a new one or have Piccolo give him another one.

The conference thing is so silly though. Gohan even says he wants to test the results of his training but he can't skip the academic conference because reasons.

Exactly. Kid Goku never acted as stupid as
adult Goku during his fight against Botamo in the Super manga

Goku showing mercy to Frieza is due to his naiveness and purity, not actual "stupidity".

Exactly. Kid Goku never acted as stupid as
adult Goku during his fight against Botamo in the Super manga

Goku showing mercy to Frieza is due to his naiveness and purity, not actual "stupidity".

Why is he stupid in that fight? I don't remember anything...

People were wondering because there's been an 8 month or so timeskip since he lost it before the fight with Freeza. Logic would think that would have given plenty of time to get a new one or have Piccolo give him another one.
Maybe he likes training in it. We saw Goku training in a tracksuit.
The conference thing is so silly though. Gohan even says he wants to test the results of his training but he can't skip the academic conference because reasons.
He's trying to balance his real life with fighting, the tournament is pretty much just fighting for fun since losing doesn't really mean anything bad for Earth. Gohan will get his time, we just have to be patient.

Augh why the hell do Goku and Vegeta get the time chamber, they're already immeasurably beyond everybody else and now they get to go 3 more years of training ahead, more than any other training session in the series? God damn overkill for them.

Augh why the hell do Goku and Vegeta get the time chamber, they're already immeasurably beyond everybody else and now they get to go 3 more years of training ahead, more than any other training session in the series? God damn overkill for them.

Because they want to? Piccolo doesn't want to go into the Time Chamber with them and Buu is... well Buu, he'll probably spend the next 3 days being lazy.

It's kinda funny, Piccolo's line here about not being able to keep up pretty much mirrors a line he has at the End of Z where he said he stopped trying to keep up with the Saiyans a long time ago. I wonder if that was on purpose or was a coincidence.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

In the episode Vegeta says they're near their limits and won't get much stronger, so he's hesitant to go in at first.

Why is he stupid in that fight? I don't remember anything...

Maybe he likes training in it. We saw Goku training in a tracksuit.

He's trying to balance his real life with fighting, the tournament is pretty much just fighting for fun since losing doesn't really mean anything bad for Earth. Gohan will get his time, we just have to be patient.

Yeah true. I'm just glad he actually wants to train/see the results of his training after years of people saying he doesn't care about fighting. lol

Yeah true. I'm just glad he actually wants to train/see the results of his training after years of people saying he doesn't care about fighting. lol

That's what we should take away from this episode for Gohan.

In the episode Vegeta says they're near their limits and won't get much stronger, so he's hesitant to go in at first.
Keep in mind though that characters have been said to have broken their limits many times before, limits talk in Dragon Ball is pointless.
Hell in the episode before Vegeta confidently said this tournament was just a stepping stone to him beating Beerus and Whis.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Fucking Toei fucking recap episode jesus fuck.

Also yeah, Super's Goku is a caricature of someone with brain damage after the Android and Buu Saga's showed a pretty intelligent tactical Goku. The only character that's better off in Super is Bulma actually being an important player again. Vegeta's 180 on servitude is some dumb gag manga crap thats pushed way too far way too often.

Savitar

If Gohan shows up ready to fight be nice if he has a cool new suit, we don't need another Goku like style or typical Vegeta/Saiyan style or even ol green beans style. Gohan needs his own distinct look.

No, that Kai look doesn't count either >:

I love the current ending song. I dread the day it is replaced.

It'll be replaced sometime around episode 38.

Fucking Toei fucking recap episode jesus fuck.
As far as recap episodes go it could have been worse. Clearly the episode was to grab another week of production for future episodes.
Also yeah, Super's Goku is a caricature of someone with brain damage after the Android and Buu Saga's showed a pretty intelligent tactical Goku. The only character that's better off in Super is Bulma actually being an important player again. Vegeta's 180 on servitude is some dumb gag manga crap thats pushed way too far way too often.
Goku only really showed "intelligence" during serious moments, Super has shown him a lot in down time when not much serious is going on.

Vegeta's "Servitude" is just him being smart. Beerus can destroy Earth in a second and Vegeta actually cares about his family and Earth, so he does what he does to make sure Beerus doesn't kill everyone.

Daemul

Good subs never come out until mid week, I prefer to just wait for them instead of watching poorly translated shit.

Aiii

So not worth it
Some English subs are out, just beware they have a lot of translation errors.

It's a terrible translation in Dutch, then translated in even worse English. It makes me want to smack both the guy doing the Dutch version, as well as the guy translating into English.

Give me my simulcast, Hulu, damnit!

He couldn't fight properly because he ate too much, so he had to run around in circles for a while for digestion or whatever.

He's working the food though his body? So what, it's a little gag to play on the viewer's expectation, Botamo seems good at first, then Goku works off the food he ate and then Botamo is nothing. That's not Goku being stupid...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
why does it take so long for the better quality subs to get uploaded? is it because of the c + d letter from Toei?

The only group putting in effort just isn't speedy. I don't know how their group operates but speaking as someone who worked on fansubs in the past it requires a lot of work from several different people who have different schedules.

Goku was always pretty dumb though. Didn't even know what marriage was. It's one of the key parts of his character.
I guess I never really thought of Goku being that stupid, just more of a bumbling dad/husband at points.

The dub is probably reinforcing that idea, Funi seems to make him sound more competent (especially just going from Nozawa to Schemmel conveys a totally different character).

spidye

The only group putting in effort just isn't speedy. I don't know how their group operates but speaking as someone who worked on fansubs in the past it requires a lot of work from several different people who have different schedules.

I see. thanks for the clarification

Their biggest problem is the schedule of their Translation Checker.

Because they want to? Piccolo doesn't want to go into the Time Chamber with them and Buu is... well Buu, he'll probably spend the next 3 days being lazy.

Of course they'd want to, but they could've simply wrote the show in a way they're off training somewhere else like with Whis unaware of the reconstruction, letting the others who actually need it get their time training.

Goku and Vegeta are just so far up it's like... damn slow the hell down you two.

Yeah this was a good note... but it'd still be much better to just give the chamber to say... Gohan and Piccolo

>_>

<_<

Or fine, Goten/Trunks to age them. Or Bulma and Vegeta to quickly push out a baby Bra.

3 more years of training for Goku/Vegeta is still just so crazy

If Gohan shows up ready to fight be nice if he has a cool new suit, we don't need another Goku like style or typical Vegeta/Saiyan style or even ol green beans style. Gohan needs his own distinct look.

No, that Kai look doesn't count either >:

Gohan even has a uniquely Gohan outfit that's the best outfit of series!

zBBs6K3.jpg

This is how you dress Gohan in Green

Skii

Yeah, Goku does seem noticeably dumber than he was in Z. In Super, they even changed the fact he along with Vegeta noticed Frieza's weakness. It's not even in character for him not to notice such a thing in battle.

I feel like because Super isn't based on Toriyama's manga, the characterisation may be slightly off.

Yeah we're talking about a character that always tests his opponent by not fully fighting at full strength at the start. Goku was able to analyse that Perfect Cell was out of his reach just by talking to him.

Yeah, Goku does seem noticeably dumber than he was in Z. In Super, they even changed the fact he along with Vegeta noticed Frieza's weakness. It's not even in character for him not to notice such a thing in battle.

I feel like because Super isn't based on Toriyama's manga, the characterisation may be slightly off.

That's one thing that I definitely like in the movie version more, Goku seeing Freeza's weakness all on his own, not really sure why they changed that in Super.

I don't mind Goku being stupid and light hearted in Super. In Z he was stupid but had no time to really show it because times shit was serious since the start. He was dumb as shit training at King Kai's.

Raditz arrived took Gohan
Acted dumb at King Kai's
Went right into battle with Vegeta
Kinda dumb during training
Comes to Namek and fights
Frieza
Androids
Cell
Dead
Buu
Training Gohan he was acting like an idiot a bit

There were weren't any times of peace for Goku to be calm and act goofy. Nothing really death threatening is looming ahead either which might explain why Goku is acting like this.

Goku still trolling the shit out of the Vegeta

Hey Vegeta don't want me gettin stronger than you right? I'll just get stronger than you on my own don't worry! Hey Vegeta remember that Monaka guy whose stronger than us!

all with the biggest shit eating grin on his face.

Hey Vegeta don't want me gettin stronger than you right? I'll just get stronger than you on my own don't worry! Hey Vegeta remember that Monaka guy whose stronger than us!

rXoaSkD.png

Russ T

Banned

It's pretty great. The Goku/Vegeta dynamic in Super is possibly the greatest in all of DB. I'll always be fond of the original Goku/Krillin, but it was never this funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom