• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| Please wait for Tien to be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
A small bit about episode 96 showed up in the TV guide listings:
The 10 members of Universe 7 who will participate in the Tournament of Power are gathered at Capsule Corporation. Gohan, the leader of the team, explains the importance of teamwork, but the rest of the team does not seem ready to work together so easily...

I mean...
they all love each other and go way back except for Freeza.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this point. To me, if we see Frieza move past his grudge, then that goes completely against the already perfect conclusion to his villain arc, and if that happens then he's no longer Frieza.

I'm certainly not against seeing villains go through character development, Piccolo, Vegeta, and even Fat Buu have some of my favorite arcs because of it, but the thing is, Frieza did. However Frieza's character development was different than the others, character development does not always mean the character must change and Frieza shows us at the end of Namik and and the start of the Cell saga that his pride, ego, cowardice, and thirst for power define him and he will not give those parts of himself up. Having characters be given the chance to change, and they choose not to is still a perfectly acceptable form of character development.

It's one thing that still stands out about Frieza alone in the series. Even Cell goes through an arc of being cunning in his hunt until he becomes full of himself when he finally has power(very similar to Vegeta during Namik, which is why it's easier to believe that he would be more willing to move past his grudge). That's why I'm still cautious about his role in this arc, it's hard to go any further with him because it can easily not sit right with his already perfect character arc, but if nothing new happens then it will ultimately feel like they shouldn't have bothered.

Freeza hasn't had a villain arc, though he's been fundamentally the same character since he appeared. His goals haven't changed and the longer we see him remain the same the quicker his appeal wears out. Character development is fundamentally a change that occurs in a character motivations and or strategies via learning from past mistakes. In order to have character development the character must change in some way, it is in the term's very name.

Freeza can still be an evil, manipulative, scheming backstabber without having his grudge clouding his judgement every time he sees Goku. The character can evolve past that in the same way Piccolo, Vegeta and any other villains did. They don't exactly have to turn good but by changing fundamentally the way they operate to achieve their goal is far more interesting. He's already back now so instead of having him go through the same motions as last time they could demonstrate how his past experiences have affected him and changed him as a character.

Super as a whole already has too much trouble with characters refusing to change as it is, which is why it would be better to start correcting it sooner than later.

These are basically my whole thoughts on the situation, so I'll probably just agree to disagree like you suggested.

we have only seen freeza for like three episodes so far, give it a bit more time

he seems to have much more planned than just murdering goku

VariantX

we have only seen freeza for like three episodes so far, give it a bit more time

Yeah, he's plenty sick of Beerus's shit. And by his shit, I mean being someone he has to show his respect to. His character demands that HE stand at the top of all things, not Beerus and certainly not Zen-Oh

freeza ain't shit to beerus though

loved it when he teleported behind him, and basically threatened him

beerus is really cool

i also hope there is more in store for freeza than just being hakai'd though

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, he's plenty sick of Beerus's shit. And by his shit, I mean being someone he has to show his respect to. His character demands that HE stand at the top of all things, not Beerus and certainly not Zen-Oh

If he gets that wish from the Super Dragon Balls everything could go bad in a hurry.

"Hey Freeza, there's this room where you can get a year's worth of training in a day. I really wanna fight you again, let's both do our best to get stronger! n_n"

HeroR

I'm glad they're doing Frieza right, but when the leaks started, did anyone really think they'd do Frieza right?

I did because they did Frieza very well in Resurrection 'F', which was better than the movie. So I never had a doubt Frieza would be done well.

L Thammy

Goku: "Well, I guess I'm out of the tournament! Good game Jiren, you really

*Gets shot in the back*

Freeza: "Whoops, I thought the no killing rule only applied to contestants. He's not a contestant anymore."

Goku: "Well, I guess I'm out of the tournament! Good game Jiren, you really

*Gets shot in the back*

Freeza: "Whoops, I thought the no killing rule only applied to contestants. He's not a contestant anymore."

how would this work

to be out you have to be pushed off the edge

caliph95

It will be because Frieza got jealous of Goku's new beau Jiren

I wonder how Frieza would react to (potentially) several people being on his level or higher
He is going to hate the Saiyans from U6 and Pride troopers

freeza is probably stronger than 90% of the participants tbh

no way in hell he is weaker than any of the u6 saiyans

toppo would probably give him some trouble though, if goku had to go kaioken against him

Obviously the homing death beam hits Goku when he's off the edge, and Goku has the conversation when he's falling.

i guess i have a different idea of how falling off works

i imagine they just poof (either are erased or moved somewhere else) the second they fall off

He could still attack him from the ring.
eh i don;t think he would risk it

freeza acknowledges goku as an integral part of the u7 team. unless freeza can find a way to escape erasure, i don't think he's about to screw with his team during the tournament

or who knows, maybe he will go on a killing spree with frost

HeroR

His plan is to murder Goku and screw over Beerus. Same goal, he's just being smarter about it since he knows that he can't directly kill Goku at the moment.

Sheroking

toppo would probably give him some trouble though, if goku had to go kaioken against him

Well, who the hell knows about Kale. If they're going full Broly with that, I have to imagine the point is to have her truck over some people.

So I hate to post bad news, but there's something concerning Frieza's current English VA that I think people should know about, especially since Toonami viewers are enjoying his work so much in Super. Christopher Ayres is fantastic as Frieza in my opinion, as good and sometimes better than the Japanese VA. He also seems like a really swell guy all around who genuinely enjoys interacting with fans. That's why I'm really sad to say he's going through some hardships right now...He revealed on his facebook that he's suffering from advanced Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and final stage Emphysema. Apparently he's been in the hospital for the past three months.

So if you can, go wish him well on twitter or facebook, tell him you're enjoying him on Super, keep him in your prayers, and hope life treats him better.

caliph95

Toppo is stated to be even with goku so he will be even with Frieza though he was ready to fight against SSBK while Frieza was only equal to SSB

Well, who the hell knows about Kale. If they're going full Broly with that, I have to imagine the point is to have her truck over some people.

eh idk, vegeta blue knocked out cabba in one hit

kale landed some serious blows on cabba but he was still in fighting shape

of course comparing power levels is a fools errand at this point, but i don't think any of them are at blue level, which freeza possibly exceeds at this point

His plan is to murder Goku and screw over Beerus. Same goal, he's just being smarter about it since he knows that he can't directly kill Goku at the moment.

we don;t know what he;s up to with frost either

for all we know he could be planning to usurp zeno

what you say is true, but we don't really know his end goal for sure, just parts of it

L Thammy

Do I need to watch the fight with Toppo again? Wasn't he losing against Super Saiyan Blue even without Kaioken or am I remembering wrong?

So if you can, go wish him well on twitter or facebook, tell him you're enjoying him on Super, keep him in your prayers, and hope life treats him better.

That sucks. I haven't watched any new dubbed stuff but this is always unfortunate to hear. I hope for the best.

caliph95

Do I need to watch the fight with Toppo again? Wasn't he losing against Super Saiyan Blue even without Kaioken or am I remembering wrong?
Goku had the edge on him but Toppo was holding his own and then tanked a Kamehame point blank damaged got pissed his clothes were damaged and was powering up and Goku responds with Kaioken

So I hate to post bad news, but there's something concerning Frieza's current English VA that I think people should know about, especially since Toonami viewers are enjoying his work so much in Super. Christopher Ayres is fantastic as Frieza in my opinion, as good and sometimes better than the Japanese VA. He also seems like a really swell guy all around who genuinely enjoys interacting with fans. That's why I'm really sad to say he's going through some hardships right now...He revealed on his facebook that he's suffering from advanced Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and final stage Emphysema. Apparently he's been in the hospital for the past three months.

Holy shit. Please get better Freeza-sama.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Oh wow :(

Do you have a link?

I checked his Facebook and didn't see anything.

HeroR

Goku had the edge on him but Toppo was holding his own and then tanked a Kamehame point blank damaged got pissed his clothes were damaged and was powering up and Goku responds with Kaioken

He didn't tank it since he got damaged and was clearly tired from blocking it. Toppo wasn't really holding his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom