• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| Please wait for Tien to be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

I don't know, he could have thrown his flying punch to get away from it too, or used his elongated legs and detach it from his body while pushing it back. Or use instant transmission to get behind Goku before he launched it and turn him into candy. He could have done many things besides trying to throw a kamehameha at it and then push it back.

he could have done many things but once he decided to push back on the genki dama he was fucked -if only because Goku recovered enough energy to push the Genki Dama-. maybe if he had tried to teleport away once actively pushing against the Genki Dama he would have be distracted enough to get rekt. I mean, Cell looked away one second and got rekt

Cell was distracted by Vegeta, so Cell didn't have the time to do anything. Buu wasn't distracted by anything once the Genkidama was fully formed.

but he spent a good while pushing back and forth with Gohan while he could do something smarter. he could have played the longer game, Gohan had no way of recovering in the short term without Goku to teleport him to Dende or something. Hell, Gohan was in his last legs (and arm). if he had gotten Gohan to waste that last kamehameha, he would have had an easy time beating him.

but yeah, once he gets hit by Vegeta he goes immediately. if the distraction needed to do instant transmission is bigger than the distraction needed to look at Vegeta for one panel, doing instant transmission is suicide

Cell resurrects and almost immediately goes into a beam battle because ??? strategically he ain't too hot. hell, at least spawn some Cell jrs to fuck up Gohan before you do your big kamehameha or something. Kid Buu at least played around with the saiyans for a good while and needed to be distracted so he could be baited into eating a genki dama. somehow Buu comes out as the smarter bad guy here

Well whats more believable, a plot point that was made then, and never revealed because the story changed. Or that Toriyama is still thinking up new stuff for an old forgotten character like 16?

For 18 sure. For 17, the leader, and his love of games? Perfectly in character.
Thats the thing, Tourney felt so out of character for Cell, whom expressed no interest in anything outside his mission before then. They explained it away as his saiyan cells effecting his thinking, but thats kind of a reach.

A tournament makes a lot of sense for Cell. Once he becomes perfect he is incredibly arrogant and narcissistic. He believes that he is the strongest in the universe. He didn't want to have a tournament to fight strong guys like goku does, he wanted a tournament so he could show off and beat up the only other strong guys he knows about. The cell games were entirely meant for cell to stroke his own ego, he doesn't actually have any interest in fighting. He never thought any if the z fighters could possibly be stronger than him.

Rutger

Banned
A tournament makes a lot of sense for Cell. Once he becomes perfect he is incredibly arrogant and narcissistic. He believes that he is the strongest in the universe. He didn't want to have a tournament to fight strong guys like goku does, he wanted a tournament so he could show off and beat up the only other strong guys he knows about. The cell games were entirely meant for cell to stroke his own ego, he doesn't actually have any interest in fighting. He never thought any if the z fighters could possibly be stronger than him.

That's not true, he wants to show off, and he certainly wants to win, but he shows disappointment when Goku stops the fight early and switches to Gohan. Cell wanted a good fight too, he's just acting like Vegeta did when he let Cell reach his perfect form, he wants a more enjoyable fight and to prove he is still better than everyone else. That's why the tournament makes even more sense for Cell, since it purposely gave the heroes some time to prepare.

HeroR

I don't know, he could have thrown his flying punch to get away from it too, or used his elongated legs and detach it from his body while pushing it back. Or use instant transmission to get behind Goku before he launched it and turn him into candy. He could have done many things besides trying to throw a kamehameha at it and then push it back.

Cell was distracted by Vegeta, so Cell didn't have the time to do anything. Buu wasn't distracted by anything once the Genkidama was fully formed.

So Vegeta got his ego crushed in the Cell saga, revealed he actually cared about his family despite him acting tough all that time, got his rival killed and lost his purpose for a while, which led him to become a decent dad to Trunks, and a decent husband for Bulma. But that doesn't matter ?

As for Vegeta changing for "the better", that change didn't last long either as we see in Super he went back into the competition as if nothing happened. If you meant that he softened up even more, sure, but that transformation clearly started in the Cell saga.

Have you ?

So I ask you how does she act dumb or like a moron, and your answer is "she acts dumb and like a moron".

That's very thorough.

K cool.

The problem is that it didn't really invoke any losing lasting change since by the next saga he was willing to sell his soul. So didn't learn his lesson.

As for Super, what are you talking about? Vegeta is a good person with a healthy rilvary with Goku. Nothing like it was in the past where he sold his soul for power.

18 had several chances to run from Cell. She didn't and wasted everone's sacrifice to save her, including Trunks who could have wasted her.

ElFly

I'm just salty. I'm still burned that he just bypassed SSJ3 completely.

Vegeta is in dire need of more tech, yeah

here's hoping the gamma burst final flash is a spoiler for the tournament...even if another variation in final flash is kinda lame

Toyotaro having Vegeta switch between SSG and SSB on micro burst was p cool, even if his use of SSG doesn't make much sense. I guess it could work with SSJ1 and SSB anyway

I'm just salty. I'm still burned that he just bypassed SSJ3 completely.

Honestly I'm glad super hasn't shown SSJ3 anymore aside from having Trunks fight SSJ3 Goku. SSJ3 is the worst transformation in the entirety of Dragon ball. It almost looks like a parody of DBZ shows do. Having Vegeta skip it is much better for me.

HeroR

Honestly I'm glad super hasn't shown SSJ3 anymore aside from having Trunks fight SSJ3 Goku. SSJ3 is the worst transformation in the entirety of Dragon ball. It almost looks like a parody of DBZ shows do. Having Vegeta skip it is much better for me.

He used it briefly in Epsoide 76.

Don't you think his personality change is a little drastic? I would have described imperfect as the most shameless of the Z villains. He runs from fights, winnable fights! He begs without hesitation. He's super careful, and sneaks around. Over cautious almost to a fault. Then boom, Perfect form and you turn that on its head. He is the most prideful, the most reckless, the most pompous. He suddenly cares even what normal ass humans think of him, that he broadcasts himself on TV. Has to have a tournament to prove how awesome he is. Theres no transition, no development. Its like a switch in his head goes off.
Now as a kid, Cell games made Cell for me, so I didnt question it. I hated the slimeball he was. At least the new one had a set on him. But looking back on it now, its a bit disjointed.

But, this is pure speculation. Chicken and the egg. I'm just saying I can more easily see a character like 17 pulling a Tourney out his ass. He didn't need a complete personality change either. Thats his character to a T, making a game out of defeating the Z fighters.

Slaythe

The problem is that it didn't really invoke any losing lasting change since by the next saga he was willing to sell his soul. So didn't learn his lesson.

As for Super, what are you talking about? Vegeta is a good person with a healthy rilvary with Goku. Nothing like it was in the past where he sold his soul for power.

I mean, he admitted he was only acting evil so that Goku would fight him seriously, but that Babidi had no control over him. He used Babidi, he didn't really lose his soul. He also fully knows about the Dragon Balls so any victim wasn't permanent.

This isn't even a debate, as soon as he came clean his behavior changed completely, proving it was an act.

After his death, Vegeta was still too proud, that's why he crushed the potara. That's not really what I call a lesson learned.
He said Goku was number 1, whatever, since we know that didn't last either.

Plus, how is him becoming more of a family man with Trunks and Bulma not lasting changes ? The way both speak of Vegeta + Vegeta's scenes (with them and goodbye) is clear enough to show that he isn't anything like he used to be prior to Trunks' arrival (and death). That originated from the end of the Cell saga.

18 had several chances to run from Cell. She didn't and wasted everone's sacrifice to save her, including Trunks who could have wasted her.

She didn't have several chances to run from Cell though.

I've detailed the sequence of events as they happen in the manga, I have yet to see what she did that was really dumb and out of character.

There's no way in hell she could guess Vegeta would let Cell absorb her. You can't call somebody dumb for not seeing that coming.

Also I don't know what you're talking about with Trunks, when he warned her, Vegeta interrupted him right after, and Cell landed next to them within a couple of seconds (see his speed after he absorbed 17).

I feel like the anime is twisting your perception of the events.

he could have done many things but once he decided to push back on the genki dama he was fucked -if only because Goku recovered enough energy to push the Genki Dama-. maybe if he had tried to teleport away once actively pushing against the Genki Dama he would have be distracted enough to get rekt. I mean, Cell looked away one second and got rekt

I don't really care honestly, I don't like the character. He was scared of the Genkidama which proves he knew how dangerous it was. The fact that he didn't throw a piece of himself away (even a tiny one like against Vegeta) is dumb. I was only trying to showcase that Buu also turned "dumb" for the sake of ending the fight.

but he spent a good while pushing back and forth with Gohan while he could do something smarter. he could have played the longer game, Gohan had no way of recovering in the short term without Goku to teleport him to Dende or something. Hell, Gohan was in his last legs (and arm). if he had gotten Gohan to waste that last kamehameha, he would have had an easy time beating him.

Cell resurrects and almost immediately goes into a beam battle because ??? strategically he ain't too hot. hell, at least spawn some Cell jrs to fuck up Gohan before you do your big kamehameha or something. Kid Buu at least played around with the saiyans for a good while and needed to be distracted so he could be baited into eating a genki dama. somehow Buu comes out as the smarter bad guy here

Huh.... He killed Trunks, trashed Vegeta, he blasted Gohan and Gohan said "I lost half my power". Cell felt that, he had nothing to fear. He ignored Gohan was holding back even more. To be fair that was probably inconceivable that his new improved perfect form was completely outclassed by a 10 years old.

I'd say he was overconfident, not dumb. To him this was impossible to lose. And who knows what would have happened without Vegeta. Buu showed fear, so he is dumb because he knew it was dangerous yet didn't take any precaution.

but yeah, once he gets hit by Vegeta he goes immediately. if the distraction needed to do instant transmission is bigger than the distraction needed to look at Vegeta for one panel, doing instant transmission is suicide

It's not "one panel". From the moment Vegeta blasts him, Cell only looks at him, the only time he turns his head back at Gohan is when the beam is about to destroy him. So no, doing "instant transmission" is not suicide, it was literally impossible to use it here since he wouldn't be able to react on time. And before that point he thought he would win, if his perma-smile didn't give it away.

HeroR

I mean, he admitted he was only acting evil so that Goku would fight him seriously, but that Babidi had no control over him. He used Babidi, he didn't really lose his soul. He also fully knows about the Dragon Balls so any victim wasn't permanent.

This isn't even a debate, as soon as he came clean his behavior changed completely, proving it was an act.

After his death, Vegeta was still too proud, that's why he crushed the potara. That's not really what I call a lesson learned.
He said Goku was number 1, whatever, since we know that didn't last either.

Plus, how is him becoming more of a family man with Trunks and Bulma not lasting changes ? The way both speak of Vegeta + Vegeta's scenes (with them and goodbye) is clear enough to show that he isn't anything like he used to be prior to Trunks' arrival (and death). That originated from the end of the Cell saga.

She didn't have several chances to run from Cell though.

I've detailed the sequence of events as they happen in the manga, I have yet to see what she did that was really dumb and out of character.

There's no way in hell she could guess Vegeta would let Cell absorb her. You can't call somebody dumb for not seeing that coming.

Also I don't know what you're talking about with Trunks, when he warned her, Vegeta interrupted him right after, and Cell landed next to them within a couple of seconds (see his speed after he absorbed 17).

I feel like the anime is twisting your perception of the events.

I don't really care honestly, I don't like the character. He was scared of the Genkidama which proves he knew how dangerous it was. The fact that he didn't throw a piece of himself away (even a tiny one like against Vegeta) is dumb. I was only trying to showcase that Buu also turned "dumb" for the sake of ending the fight.

Huh.... He killed Trunks, trashed Vegeta, he blasted Gohan and Gohan said "I lost half my power". Cell felt that, he had nothing to fear. He ignored Gohan was holding back even more. To be fair that was probably inconceivable that his new improved perfect form was completely outclassed by a 10 years old.

I'd say he was overconfident, not dumb. To him this was impossible to lose. And who knows what would have happened without Vegeta. Buu showed fear, so he is dumb because he knew it was dangerous yet didn't take any precaution.

It's not "one panel". From the moment Vegeta blasts him, Cell only looks at him, the only time he turns his head back at Gohan is when the beam is about to destroy him. So no, doing "instant transmission" is not suicide, it was literally impossible to use it here since he wouldn't be able to react on time. And before that point he thought he would win, if his perma-smile didn't give it away.

Actually he said he wanted to be his old self again after 'going soft'. And Vegeta freely admitted that he sold his soul, Babidi having control of him doesn't matter. It makes it worse actually.

Yes. The Buu Saga was the final step in him being a good person. He's still prideful and has his rivalry with Goku, but he isn't going to endanger people to stroke his own ego line he did with Cell or sell his soul.

You also misread Vegeta's #1 speech. He accepted Goku was better, but he still wants to surpassed him. It's just not his life goal anymore nor does he obsesse over it.

She could of ran when 16 told her to run when Cell was beating up on Piccolo and 17. She could've ran when 16 fought Cell. She waited until Tien was nearly dead to run. She could've ran when Vegeta fought Cell. She should of ran the moment she saw Vegeta sell her out or st least do a better job at hiding. She had more than a few chances.

I read the manga. She's just as dumb.

Rutger

Banned
Don't you think his personality change is a little drastic? I would have described imperfect as the most shameless of the Z villains. He runs from fights, winnable fights! He begs without hesitation. He's super careful, and sneaks around. Over cautious almost to a fault. Then boom, Perfect form and you turn that on its head. He is the most prideful, the most reckless, the most pompous. He suddenly cares even what normal ass humans think of him, that he broadcasts himself on TV. Has to have a tournament to prove how awesome he is. Theres no transition, no development. Its like a switch in his head goes off.
Now as a kid, Cell games made Cell for me, so I didnt question it. I hated the slimeball he was. At least the new one had a set on him. But looking back on it now, its a bit disjointed.

But, this is pure speculation. Chicken and the egg. I'm just saying I can more easily see a character like 17 pulling a Tourney out his ass. He didn't need a complete personality change either. Thats his character to a T, making a game out of defeating the Z fighters.

I don't think the personality change is drastic. Cell's personality is very much like Vegeta, with a little bit of Frieza. We see Vegeta throughout the Namik saga starting off extremely cautious about his fights, sneaking around in order to achieve his goal, and whenever Vegeta thinks he has the upper hand he gloats and shows off to his opponent. This is the same thing we see happen with Cell and that not strange at all.

ElFly

yeah he killed Trunks....maybe he could have aimed at Gohan instead. again, secretly spawn a Cell Jr, or just Kamehameha immediately...Or just not come back immediately! There were so many things Cell could have done and he doesn't have the Buu excuse of being a primitive being and being distracted by Fat Buu

guess he didn't recognize the kis? dunno. Cell comes back to get pwned again. Kid Buu actually puts up a fight and requires strategy to be beaten. If anyone was suddenly dumb for the sake of ending the fight was Cell... but then again this is a character who waited for 10 days standing on an empty field.

he was always dumb

or at least getting Perfect dumbed him. he was interesting before that, having time travelled to get to the androids, done the whole thing absorbing a town to get strong enough, waiting until the 17/Piccolo fight to find his prey, etc

but he gets Perfect and what happens? he makes the same mistake FTrunks made and gets buff and slow. ugh

That's not true, he wants to show off, and he certainly wants to win, but he shows disappointment when Goku stops the fight early and switches to Gohan. Cell wanted a good fight too, he's just acting like Vegeta did when he let Cell reach his perfect form, he wants a more enjoyable fight and to prove he is still better than everyone else. That's why the tournament makes even more sense for Cell, since it purposely gave the heroes some time to prepare.

I'm not saying he doesn't like to fight, just that he only enjoys fights he knows he can win

He likes fighting to show off how strong he is imo

L Thammy

I feel like people don't talk enough about the fact that Freeza is a racist real estate agent dictator mutant. He's a villain ahead of his time. He pretends to be a slick, polite businessman but he's really just an infantile psychopath. I mean, consider how many times Freeza says "Saiyan monkeys". Guy uses species slurs like they're going out of style. Plus, basically all he does in the entire Freeza saga is abuse alien minorities.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
One of the Super writers tweeted this out

MOQlpaT.jpg

https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/877544633139511296

I suppose Goku will use SSBKK in the episode he's writing.

I don't think the personality change is drastic. Cell's personality is very much like Vegeta, with a little bit of Frieza. We see Vegeta throughout the Namik saga starting off extremely cautious about his fights, sneaking around in order to achieve his goal, and whenever Vegeta thinks he has the upper hand he gloats and shows off to his opponent. This is the same thing we see happen with Cell and that not strange at all.

He's far more cautious than Vegeta ever was on Namek, with far less reason to be. Cell thought he was the strongest in the universe in 1st form afterall. And he his far more pompous than Vegeta ever was on his best day in Perfect.
More than that, Vegeta has major character developement going from Frieza to Cell saga to explain his changes. Cell just sucks an android up his tail and suddenly goes from cold calculating trickster to full on primadonna god complex who is completely self deluded to the point of self destruction.

He's far more cautious than Vegeta ever was on Namek, with far less reason to be. Cell thought he was the strongest in the universe in 1st form afterall. And he his far more pompous than Vegeta ever was on his best day in Perfect.
More than that, Vegeta has major character developement going from Frieza to Cell saga to explain his changes. Cell just sucks an android up his tail and suddenly goes from cold calculating trickster to full on primadonna god complex who is completely self deluded to the point of self destruction.

Well Vegeta and Freeza also got drunk on power, and imperfect to semi perfect to perfect was a huge leap for cell

Also it's possible that he incorporates parts of the Android's personalities, 17 was pretty arrogant

Well Vegeta and Freeza also got drunk on power, and imperfect to semi perfect to perfect was a huge leap for cell

Also it's possible that he incorporates parts of the Android's personalities, 17 was pretty arrogant

I'm not saying it completely doesn't make sense, I'm just saying it feels like a bit of a leap. Maybe Toriyama had the cool idea of a tourney to end the saga, but ended up with a villain who couldn't give less of a crap about that kinda thing. So, he just tweaked the villain's personality into someone who would?

Rutger

Banned

Not only that, but everything Cell has ever known has been telling him that he will be without question the most powerful being once he reaches his perfect state. For him to want to show that off is very natural.

Skeeter49

The weird thing in the Cell saga was Cell thinking he was stronger than Gohan because of his Zenkai boost. It kind of felt like Vegeta when he fought Final Form Frieza after getting his zenkai boost.

If it wasn't for Vegeta being the biggest idiot, Cell would have gotten fucked again.

ElFly

I'm not saying it completely doesn't make sense, I'm just saying it feels like a bit of a leap. Maybe Toriyama had the cool idea of a tourney to end the saga, but ended up with a villain who couldn't give less of a crap about that kinda thing. So, he just tweaked the villain's personality into someone who would?

I think the problem is that Cell was a villain without a larger motive but who also got away with what he wanted, aka, get his Perfect form

so basically once he gets Perfect...what's next for him? due to the need to have conflict Toriyama makes him accept the challenge of Goku and have a tourney, but it's not like Cell had an overarching plan

Piccolo Sr had a plan, and we actually see what he does when he conquers the world. we assume Freeza would carry on conquering and selling planets if he had gotten immortality (same as Vegeta) and Buu would have been a force of chaos

but Cell? he just wants to fight some mans. dunno, maybe make a nice arena but if it gets trashed later who cares

I mean...he even threatens on destroying Earth at one point. yeah he can teleport but it's not like he gives much of a fuck either way...I think he even threatens with destroying earth BEFORE getting instant transmission?

The weird thing about the Cell arc is when Gohan knocks 18 out of Cell and he goes back to semi perfect form. Everyone starts shouting at Gohan to finish him while he is weak. And they all just stand there shouting.

At that point

- Goku
- Vegeta
- Trunks
- Piccolo (probably, after HTC)

COULD ALL HAVE KILLED CELL

Skeeter49

Yeah, Goku should have killed Cell himself when he became Semi Perfect again, but I guess he was stuck in that headspace that this is a tournament and it's Gohan's turn.

Vegeta doesn't really give a fuck due to pride.

Future Trunks fucked up and had no excuse, he should have intervened.

The weird thing about the Cell arc is when Gohan knocks 18 out of Cell and he goes back to semi perfect form. Everyone starts shouting at Gohan to finish him while he is weak. And they all just stand there shouting.

At that point

- Goku
- Vegeta
- Trunks
- Piccolo (probably, after HTC)

COULD ALL HAVE KILLED CELL

Manga fucks with that since Semi Perfect Cell tries to blow himself up immediately after spitting out 18, unlike the anime which tried to stress Gohan was a sadistic murderer.

Ogodei

I think the problem is that Cell was a villain without a larger motive but who also got away with what he wanted, aka, get his Perfect form

so basically once he gets Perfect...what's next for him? due to the need to have conflict Toriyama makes him accept the challenge of Goku and have a tourney, but it's not like Cell had an overarching plan

Piccolo Sr had a plan, and we actually see what he does when he conquers the world. we assume Freeza would carry on conquering and selling planets if he had gotten immortality (same as Vegeta) and Buu would have been a force of chaos

but Cell? he just wants to fight some mans. dunno, maybe make a nice arena but if it gets trashed later who cares

I mean...he even threatens on destroying Earth at one point. yeah he can teleport but it's not like he gives much of a fuck either way...I think he even threatens with destroying earth BEFORE getting instant transmission?

Cell had Frieza's ability to survive in space, so destroying earth was no matter to him.

Skii

Manga fucks with that since Semi Perfect Cell tries to blow himself up immediately after spitting out 18, unlike the anime which tried to stress Gohan was a sadistic murderer.

I liked the idea that Gohan was so consumed with rage, with hatred that he was willing to torture Cell even after being in a form that was completely outmatched by the rest of the saiyans. I'd even wager that Gohan would prevent the others from killing Cell because he wanted to do it himself.

So I'm about halfway through the Black arc.

Decided to start watching since I love Z so much.

Couple things, maybe spoilers.

1. When did Black and Goku switch bodies? Wasn't that Future Trunks timeline? and didn't Goku die from a heart attack in that era? Huh?

2. I can't believe what a puss Gohan is. Jesus. From one of my favourite characters (cell Gohan) to whatever the fuck this thing is.

3. Is it just me, or has this show gotten a lot more "kid friendly"? I don't think I've seen any blood, and any kills come from off screen.

4. Why is Goku such a goof ball now? Like, he was sort of a goof before, but this is extreme now. It's like every frame on screen, he is doing something stupid, or saying something stupid, or generally acting like an idiot.

Anyways, Super seems ok so far. Nothing mind blowing, but a FAR cry from Z, thats for damn sure. Will continue it. Just wish they'd move from the family channel.

Everyone pretty much answered all your questions already, but as for the violence thing it's due to Japanese censorship laws. One Piece still has more blood because it's been grandfathered in.
Dragon Ball has always been targeted at kids, the standards are just different these days.
Despite that the violence isn't really less than Z, it just has much less blood. The Z anime was never really gory, it just had blood.
Something you'll learn is that Super has a hard-on for characters getting stabbed or having parts of their bodies pierced with blasts, if you started at the Future Trunks arc you already missed a ton of that in the previous 3 arcs.
Not sure what you mean about kills being off screen, they always show them.

Also Gohan isn't a puss, he just focuses on his family like a good husband and father. Since you skipped the previous arcs that means you missed that he returned to training.

L Thammy

Dragonball was never exceedingly gory, but I don't think it "just had blood". You have Yamcha's tooth being knocked out, Yamcha's leg being around, Goku having all his limbs busted except an arm, Piccolo ripping off his own arm, Goku getting all his limbs busted and a hole shot through him, Piccolo's arm getting blown off, Tien getting his arm punched clean off, Nappa's spine being broken, Gohan having his neck crushed so that he's left twitching, Recoome loosing his teeth, Goku walking around with a hole inside of him after Ginyu's body change, Freeza impaling Krillin with his horn and bouncing him around, Freeza's tail being sliced off, Freeza getting cut in half and losing an arm, Cell being torn in half... Not going to count Buu because he's not fleshy.

I do think people in North America might remember it as being worse than it was because we started with Z. Nappa and Freeza really escalated things. It's like the violence of the series is concentrated there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom