• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

What I want to see is Goku getting absolutely rekt by Jiren, and then to realise just how much he's screwed up and has been careless - putting his entire family, and universe in danger. Could lead to some solid character development (I have hope) and give basis for his new transformation

But knowing how Super has handled this stuff before, he'll probably just pull it out of nowhere and that will be that

Goku has screwed up a bunch of times and gotten people in trouble or needless danger. Why would this time led to new developments in his character?

Must admit the lack of serious Goku makes Super no way near as entertaining as it could be

That's literally all I want

Serious Goku

He was in the Future Trunks Saga and Goku was serious during the Exhibition Match in a smug super, jerkass way.

On another subject, for those who care about the Super English dub, I got this from Baggie_Saiyan on Kanzenshuu:

Some interesting tidbits about Marsters, he went to see Sabat back in December for help on a voice reel but he had an ulterior motive and wanted to be apart of Super regardless of the size of the role he wanted to something to wash people's taste of DBE.

http://vidiotsonline.com/blog/2016/12/29/vidiots-season-01-episode-07-anything-is-possible-in-texas/

HardRojo

He started off really rocky but has improved recently. His stuff in the early 2000s and even into Battle of the Gods was a far cry from his excellent designs in the 90s. This is a good video explaining his style stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWM04zsxKMw

That's some good info. No wonder I love the Janemba movie and Majin Vegeta vs Goku, he was in charge of both apparently.
Dragon Ball Super |OT8| Eye of the Tiger
Took me a second, good one lol.

Rutger

Banned
Goku has screwed up a bunch of times and gotten people in trouble or needless danger. Why would this time led to new developments in his character?

Things have always been "set right" with the Dragon Balls despite what Goku does(with the ending of the Future Trunks arc I feel Goku genuinely does not realize the weight of what happened and thinks the timeline Trunks is now in has fixed everything). At this point I don't think this arc will play it differently, it's been playing it too safe like with how it tried to shift the blame away from Goku with the whole "Zeno was going to destroy the universes anyways" thing and the Super Dragon Balls could potentially fix everything that has already happened.

However, I do think it is still possible for Goku to go through an arc where he learns that he can't be so careless anymore. It would need to be 100% his fault and truly feel hopeless though.

HeroR

Things have always been "set right" with the Dragon Balls despite what Goku does(with the ending of the Future Trunks arc I feel Goku genuinely does not realize the weight of what happened and thinks the timeline Trunks is now in has fixed everything). At this point I don't think this arc will play it differently, it's been playing it too safe like with how it tried to shift the blame away from Goku with the whole "Zeno was going to destroy the universes anyways" thing and the Super Dragon Balls could potentially fix everything that has already happened.

However, I do think it is still possible for Goku to go through an arc where he learns that he can't be so careless anymore. It would need to be 100% his fault and truly feel hopeless though.

He knows Future Trunks' timeline wasn't repaired and everyone in it is no more. He even says he knows Zen'o's power since he saw it and was one of the few people not freaked out when U9 bit the dust.

And if what happened Cell didn't changed him, especially since he died and took several people with him, don't see he would change.

nuestras_tropas_del_orgullo_by_pipesnow-dbkf9be.jpg

Picollo is Jiren

Justinh

He started off really rocky but has improved recently. His stuff in the early 2000s and even into Battle of the Gods was a far cry from his excellent designs in the 90s. This is a good video explaining his style stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWM04zsxKMw

Thanks for that link. I've never taken the time to learn anything about who actually animate the shows. I remember back in the 90s sometimes thinking "Man, the guy who drew this episode is a lot better/worse than last week's." This is some interesting stuff. I'm going to watch his other videos in this series later on.

HardRojo

Thanks for that link. I've never taken the time to learn anything about who actually animate the shows. I remember back in the 90s sometimes thinking "Man, the guy who drew this episode is a lot better/worse than last week's." This is some interesting stuff. I'm going to watch his other videos in this series later on.
Yeah, pretty interesting insight regarding animators. Will watch Tate's video later today when I get home.

Mory Dunz

I don't think it's just 'serious goku".

Even with universe's being erased, there still doesn't feel like there's much weight to anything. The last ep was a good step but still, everything feels pretty effin chill so far.

not saying they should get rid of all jokes, or the U2 girls, but there is definitely something missing in terms of tension.

a fight without tension is sparring.

caliph95

Even with universe's being erased, there still doesn't feel like there's much weight to anything. The last ep was a good step but still, everything feels pretty effin chill so far.

not saying they should get rid of all jokes, or the U2 girls, but there is definitely something missing in terms of tension.

a fight without tension is sparring
A lot of the fights do feel that way

a fight without tension is sparring.

I was very sad that Gowasu was erased. There is definitely some weight to it.

Wow, the gods of Universe 8 are a bunch of dicks.

Destroying everything that could lower their level.

They are avoiding the tournament tho, so...

Eylos

Banned
There's a Scan of the story mode of dragon ball fighterz, there's Goku on a Black gi
If they have done Goku on a Black gi, i think Black is almost confirmed.

caliph95

The biggest problem is only U7 amd U11 act like their universe is on the line.

U2, U3, U4, and U6 don't care.
Doesn't help that U10 was fodder and jokes until we are suddenly supposed to care because one dude was nice oh and Gowasu but for me there's not much weight because we barely see them get desperate and he'll they attack when they have little fighters.

If it makes sense

Morlas

The fact that there's a rule against killing kinda makes it so the impact of the blows aren't as high as they could be too

Mory Dunz

The fact that there's a rule against killing kinda makes it so the impact of the blows aren't as high as they could be too

You can still have high impact hits and fights without killing. And have tension and battle damage.

The obvious extreme example is Videl is Crushed but.....Videl is Crushed.

The biggest problem is only U7 amd U11 act like their universe is on the line.

U2, U3, U4, and U6 don't care.

also, it doesn't feel like each universe is actually gone. It's like we all know they'll come back in some way. If they really are done, color me surprised and well done dbs for throwing in a curveball.

This reminds me of what made a character like vegeta great during the namek saga. You had no idea what he was going to do next. Would he try to kill X person, betray the earthlings, do this, do that? It's refreshing to see that. Vegeta has had growth since then, but that unpredictability wasn't replaced with another character. (I liked majin vegeta idea though, and it made sense)

Beerus was introduced as that unpredictable character, but he's firmly the angry dad now. And completely predictable.

So I guess Zeno and the Grand Priest are the two main people we don't know what they will do.

caliph95

I mean it wouldn't stop Frieza from putting holes on people or remove limbs

Or heavily injure them in general, I think it just Super generally being less violent

cordy

Banned
Must admit the lack of serious Goku makes Super no way near as entertaining as it could be

Serious Goku

Yeah.

Goku was serious when Raditz showed up.
Goku was serious in the Saiyan Saga.
Goku was serious against the Ginyu Force.
Goku was serious against Freeza.
Goku was serious against the Androids.
Goku was serious against Cell (although he was a lil laidback since he had Godhan as his backup).
Goku was serious against Buu (although he was a lil laidback since he was prepping the world for when he wasn't around).
Goku was serious against Kid Buu.

Sure he's had moments where he's not serious but usually when shit's on, shit is ON with Goku. With Super man idk it seems like he's not taking it as serious as Z. It's very DB-ish rather than Z-ish and while DB was great, I liked Z Goku a bit more.

You can't expect me to think the stakes as as high as can be when Goku's fucking around on the battlefield.

JohnDoe

Banned

Serious Goku
Agreed.
Rewatching Z (Japanese) and the difference is incredibly jarring. It's almost like Homer in the new seasons of The Simpsons. Goku's become a caricature of himself.

Skeeter49

Doesn't help that U10 was fodder and jokes until we are suddenly supposed to care because one dude was nice oh and Gowasu but for me there's not much weight because we barely see them get desperate and he'll they attack when they have little fighters.

If it makes sense
Would U10 have benefitted from having to pass a written test?
Then again, if Goku can pass, anyone can pass.

I still think it would have been so good for Gowasu to go through a moral choice of trying to get Zamasu back for the tournament.

Skeeter49

Anyone attacking when they have few fighters deserve to get erased
I mean, would that stop FRIEXA, Goku, or 17?

I think they should have saved 6 fighters from U10, and had them all eliminated in this episode.
The one Frieza took out, Tien took out, and the Rosé guy. Have all that happen this episode.

Justinh

also, it doesn't feel like each universe is actually gone. It's like we all know they'll come back in some way. If they really are done, color me surprised and well done dbs for throwing in a curveball.
I get this kind of feeling too, to be honest. I hope they go in a way I'm not expecting though.

You can still have high impact hits and fights without killing. And have tension and battle damage.

I think they're probably not really doing a good job with this though. Remember when Kale was in berserker mode (in ep 100) and slamming Goku down like a ragdoll, then grabbed him by his face, dragged him across the ground, through some rocks/debris and threw him against another big rock followed with an explosion. After the smoke clears... he's just standing there, turns blue, his clothes aren't ripped, he's not showing any damage, he's not even breathing heavily. Whenever you caught glimpses of his face while the beating was going on too, he just looked like... mildly annoyed.

edit: I've been wondering this for a while too, are there people here who lurk and haven't seen the show? I have a couple Crunchyroll 48 hour guess passes I don't know what to do with and I figured that someone could binge a lot over the weekend if someone wants one. Anyone wants one, ask via PM
. (disregard this for now)

Skeeter49

With SSB Goku, I think that was to show he wasn't at full power, just testing Kale out.

When Kale was getting punched in base, I thought that was done well impact wise, could have used a few punches to the face though.

But doing a one sided thing like that is generally easy.

Astral Dog

You see powerful attacks that normally would desintegrate opponents just throw them off the stage they defintely aren't as creative as they could be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom