• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Switch launches September 22 in the Americas and Europe

deadfolk

I really want to try this out, but the price is just extortionate here in Europe. I just can't justify it. Impressions sound good though. If the price drops before FighterZ launches then I'll give it a go.

Gameplay wise, how similar is it to the Tenkaichi games?

Can't you get it from the US shop? That's what I did. $50.

I really want to try this out, but the price is just extortionate here in Europe. I just can't justify it. Impressions sound good though. If the price drops before FighterZ launches then I'll give it a go.

Gameplay wise, how similar is it to the Tenkaichi games?
Buy it on the US eshop.

nice, tried the motion controls, works pretty good.

PGWYT7w.gif
Well that brings back Budokai Tenkaichi 2 Wii memories.

As someone who has never played the Xenoverse games, could someone give me a brief explanation of how the RPG/leveling/progression systems in this game works?

I'm on the fence about this, and knowing that the game has a meaty progression system would definitely help on my decision lol

I'm new to the series as well and here's my experience so far (level 30ish):

You do quests to get XP and Zeni($$$).

-You gain levels which grant you attribute points. You get a set amount of attribute points that seem to increase at certain intervals (now i'm getting 5 per level up rather than 3 or 4). You can put it into Health, Ki, Stamina, Basic Attack, Strike Attack, and Ki Attack. The last two types seem to basically impact how your special attacks scale. Some use strike attack and some use ki. It's pretty obvious when you actually look at the icons and associate it with what the animation looks like. So you get a set amount of attribute points overall that you will put into those slots however you see fit. Basically, this is how you go about making a character build, by allocating the skill points in a certain way.

-You also "train" with a bunch of people. I think there are 32 trainers, and so far each trainer has given me a total of 4 different moves, 3 special moves and 1 super move or whatever it's called. So Krillin taught me destructo-disc whereas yamcha taught me how to play dead. Basically, there are a ton of different moves that you can freely choose from.

-Lastly, there are slots for gear that impact stats as well as "QQ bangs," which just seems like an accessory. They impact the same stats as the other stuff, so there's more room for customization on that end as well.

Hopefully I could help! I'm still pretty new myself, so I could be missing things.

-Lastly, there are slots for gear that impact stats as well as "QQ bangs," which just seems like an accessory. They impact the same stats as the other stuff, so there's more room for customization on that end as well.

I believe QQ bangs actually replace the stats of your other equipment, completely. Each article of clothing gets the stats of whatever QQ bang you have equipped.

moeman

Got this game for $28 with some promotional credit from amazon and their $10 prime discount. Can't wait to get into it. Does anyone know if there's any local coop modes for the game? I remember the PS4 version having some coop tucked away but I'm not sure about the switch version.

Worth pointing out you can grab the dlc without owning the game in the US from the eShop. Can't in Japan/Europe since they're codes though.

Yeah, found that out after I placed the order :p Still excited to play it though, especially since I don’t think it’s going to be cheaper than $40 for a while, if the PS4/XB1 versions are anything to go by.

Jimbone

Banned
Has anyone tried playing with friends online yet, and run into problems? My buddy and I tried playing today, we met up in-game and added each other to our Favorites list, he invited me to a group and we tried to battle and also do online parallel quests. Everytime we would try and set it up, and me join, it would load for a period of time and then an error saying "Couldnt connect to the other player's system" or something like that. We have played Splatoon 2 alot together so I'm not sure what the issue is....any ideas?

Edit: I played online with random people and it worked fine

JJShadow

I'm new to the series as well and here's my experience so far (level 30ish):

You do quests to get XP and Zeni($$$).

-You gain levels which grant you attribute points. You get a set amount of attribute points that seem to increase at certain intervals (now i'm getting 5 per level up rather than 3 or 4). You can put it into Health, Ki, Stamina, Basic Attack, Strike Attack, and Ki Attack. The last two types seem to basically impact how your special attacks scale. Some use strike attack and some use ki. It's pretty obvious when you actually look at the icons and associate it with what the animation looks like. So you get a set amount of attribute points overall that you will put into those slots however you see fit. Basically, this is how you go about making a character build, by allocating the skill points in a certain way.

-You also "train" with a bunch of people. I think there are 32 trainers, and so far each trainer has given me a total of 4 different moves, 3 special moves and 1 super move or whatever it's called. So Krillin taught me destructo-disc whereas yamcha taught me how to play dead. Basically, there are a ton of different moves that you can freely choose from.

Hopefully I could help! I'm still pretty new myself, so I could be missing things.

Thanks for the explanation, really appreciate it. It seems that the progression system is quite meaty, so I'll definitely pick this one up in a few days

Seik

Banned
So I tried it a bit yesterday, went to Vegeta/Nappa fight.

As many stated, hub world looks like shit, but battle are neat.

I never played the XV games before, so I'm not used to how it deals with the different modes. I personally would have preferred a good old 'Main Menu' instead of having to look for all the NPCs in the hub world to find these modes.

For example, I didn't even find the standard 'Versus Mode' yet. :lol

Zalman

I got this today. I hate the hub world and how long it takes to get into a standard vs CPU battle. This stuff should be on the main menu. The battles themselves are fine, but it's going to take me a bit to get used to the controls.

I'm glad I could unlock everything from the start. The huge character roster is pretty cool.

As a big Dragon Ball and Switch fan, it's cool to have this game on the system, but I can't help but feel I won't touch it again if/when DBF comes out for it.

Mediking

Man, this just keeps getting fun. Managed to get Great Saiyaman's outfit and I feel hecka stylish.

I love starting a long combo then keep Z-Vanishing to continue the combo then I hit them with a Meteor Strike then some kinda Ki move like Evil Explosion.

moeman

Is it my sound setup or does the sound mixing seem way off to anyone else? The music is loud but the voices are barely audible. And then the music in cutscenes sounds a bit off.

Vena

Been having a lot of fun. It does become somewhat comical towards the end of the game, though, where I (a human, the weakest race in the show) am trading blows with full powered Saiyans, (to a lesser extent) Namekians, Majin, and Freiza-race.

Beat the shit out of Brolly in a single 100-hit chain without so much as taking a hit? Just another day as the nameless human mook of the time patrol!

Yamcha clearly didn't try hard enough!

Is it my sound setup or does the sound mixing seem way off to anyone else? The music is loud but the voices are barely audible. And then the music in cutscenes sounds a bit off.

You can go to the settings and adjust the music and voices separately. I lowered the music from 5 bars to 2.

Rayis

I bought it the other day together with a 128gb microSD card.

Y'all weren't lying about the shitty hub world, it's bad, the game looks and performs much better docked though and I'm still having fun so it's not all bad.

Vena

Is the hub world bad in all versions of this game, or is that a Switch exclusive thing?

Pretty sure its a Switch thing, and its bizarre as hell. The game itself is solid in performance and appearance everywhere but the hub.

The hub is a disaster of performance.

If I remember from the TFS playthrough, that's just in all versions of the game.

Kebiinu

Banned
Been debating about getting this game for a long while, but something is holding me back.

Is it worth the price point? At this point that One Piece game is out, and a bit cheaper, should I just go for that instead? I really want DBFightersZ, and I feel like if I don't support, that'll be one less sale for a potential success of this release.

I've never played Xenoverse before...

patchday

Been debating about getting this game for a long while, but something is holding me back.

Is it worth the price point? At this point that One Piece game is out, and a bit cheaper, should I just go for that instead? I really want DBFightersZ, and I feel like if I don't support, that'll be one less sale for a potential success of this release.

I've never played Xenoverse before...

At least download the Xenoverse 1 story DLC now before end of October. I did that much even though I have no current plan to buy. I actually own the first game though. Really loved the story but after that was very unhappy with the RNG in the PQs. But that was Xenoverse 1...

Despite the lack of news on restocks in Japan, the game's been doing great on the eShop worldwide. Here's a recent US screengrab:

This is fantastic as it shows that anime games and ports of retail games can do great on Switch.

I'm really happy its in the top 6! Why has golf story gotten that much hype.. and is it really that good?

edit: I Just checked U.S. now.. Xenoverse 2 switches positions with nba 2k18 and its #4th best selling!

ZeroX03

Banned
I've been enjoying this quite a bit. Do a couple of missions a day. Online works well with my friend once we get a lobby started, had no disconnects and changing PQs in lobby is a huge step up from XV1. Graphics are fine, hub city issues are forgivable as all other gameplay is smooth.

Still not enough changes from XV1 to justify full price, but if you're new to the series, jump in and get the original story mode (which is way too similar to this game's anyway) and all the character unlocks and have fun. Do PQs with friends. It's the best.

Price is definitely whack outside of the US. Most expensive Switch game in EU/JP yet, I think.

Feels good to turn Super Saiyan using motiom controls at the gym. Gets me hype.

nzG2Mne.gif

God damn

NimbusD

Despite being lukewarm at first, I think I'm hooked on this game. Even though it's mostly button mashing and grinding, I guess I just have a thing for DBZ haha.

Wish the online co op content was more centralized I feel like that's part of why it's so hard to find a party because all the different kind of quests have different parts of the world you have to go to. Probably works better when more people are on.

I just realized that I have yet to play this game on handheld mode. I've been playing in docked mode with my Pro Controller this whole time.

Kind of don't want to change that haha!

Mediking

The mash X combo is really good for setups.

I knock them down then launch a Galick Gun as soon as they hit the ground. Lol

Vena

The mash X combo is really good for setups.

I knock them down then launch a Galick Gun as soon as they hit the ground. Lol

I'm usually doing the full chain into the kick-chase-kick, this combos in Kaioken Kamehameha, and I am specced almost entirely into purely basic attacks and Ki blasts. The sheer speed at which you blow apart an enemy AI (even if they warp-break the combo) is damn near comical. Crusher Volcano is my Ultimate, and if its not blocked, it will generally knock off an entire health bar. You can usually get a full Crusher hit if you have an AI ally and its mid-combo for them. So much damage, its damn silly.

I beat the single-player XV2 campaign at ~45 or so when it was telling me to do it at 58 or something. I have 0/20/20/40/0/100 (or there abouts) Human with the above spec, and Mira never even touched me because he was dead so fast.

That said, finished the XV2 campaign last night. Had a blast and still laughing my ass off at some random-ass human fighting on par with SSGSS Goku and Beerus, it comically canon breaking. Yo check out this human one-shotting Brolly!

Top Bottom