• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 4 out now on iOS/Android, party chat included

heringer

How does Dragon Quest 4 on Android/iPhone differ from playing it on a NDS emulator? The NDS emulator has Save states.

The emulator simulates two screens that aren't perfectly aligned, so it's a bit jarring. The UI is also more fitting because it was made specifically for mobile. Also, the mobile version has party chat, which is missing from the DS version.

Boney

Banned
So got stuck now, I'm supposed to deliver this letter but first I gotta fix the bridge by finding the architect by saving him from the foxes using the dog from the first town.

How do I get the dog out

Cmagus

Downloading now, I'm in the mood to play through this again. Weird that the site says $18.99 but it's listed at $14.99 in the app store, not that I'm complaining. How does this run on the 4s?

MaxDOL

So got stuck now, I'm supposed to deliver this letter but first I gotta fix the bridge by finding the architect by saving him from the foxes using the dog from the first town.

How do I get the dog out
Talk to the dog' owner which can be located in Endor's prison(Palace's underground)
Do not forget to bring chimera wing with you.

Bit the bullet and bought this on my iPhone 5S. Really enjoying it so far. Have had no issues with the controls, which is what all of the negative reviews I've read so far have cited as their problem with the game in general. I've only ever played the NES game, and the DS version's pricing is really the only thing that made me choose to buy on iOS. I'm not that far into it, maybe about halfway through Chapter 1. TH' BAIRNS

sublimit

Banned
I'm currently playing the DS version and i thought about making a LTTP thread but since this one is active i'll just post my thoughts here.Don't worry i'll keep this spoiler free.

Ok first of all i must say that this is only the second DQ game that i'm close to beating.I've beaten DQ8 twice (one of my favourite games of all time) and played a bit of DQ9 (didn't liked it much but i'll go back to it one day) but other than that i haven't played any other DQ game.So since i had the Zenithia trilogy in my DS backlog for quite a while (bought each game on day one) i thought it was about time to try them out.

I'm playing blind so i know i'm going to miss many items but i don't want to spoil myself on my first playthrough.I got stuck once or twice not knowing what to do but in the end this worked to my advantage since it forced me to grind as i was searching to find where to go next (i rarely use holy protection.)So far i can't say that the game is too hard.I don't think i've died more than 3 times (party wiped out) so far.

I've just beat
Balzak in Zamoksva castle
and i'm currently stuck as i don't know where to go next.I'm just exploring the continents (at least the areas that are available to reach by ship) and grinding a bit more.

So far i have to say that i find the story really enjoyable.The divided chapters all coming together later must have been something new in video games when the game was first released.The characters are all interesting,with their own personalities and backgrounds that are cleverly interwoven with each other.Some funny NPC sidestories as well.My only complaint is that the localization team went a bit overboard with the various accents.I understand and appreciate that they put some serious hard work behind the localization but for a non native English speaker such as myself i had a bit of a difficulty at times to understand the dialogues (especially the ones with French accents.)
I miss party chat though,it was one of the features that i really liked in DQ8.Wish the DS version had it as well. :/

The graphics are very pretty and colourful (even the dungeons) and the ost is also really good (although not God-tier as the one in DQ8.)I'm always playing with headphones in order to enjoy the ost as much as possible.

TL;DR
I enjoy the game very much and i'm looking forward to finish it (i think it will not take me more than a few days) and move on to what many people consider as the best DQ ever,DQ5.I'm very curious about that game.

Yaqoub

I just tested it out and it works fine, at least the one time. It seems to overwrite your entire save file (all 3 data slots), but it does state everything in clear language about checking local files vs cloud files and telling you which one is the most recent.

Unfortunately, I don't think the game looks very good on iPad mini - the game looks and plays great on iPhone but it looks a little too blown-up for me on the larger screen. Still plays like a dream, though - I'd forgotten how much party chat can add to the experience.

Thank you!

I'm not wild about controlling everything through the touch screen, but I'm enjoying my play-through so far. I hope Dragon Quest 1 & III get released here. III has always been my favorite.

Boney

Banned
So I just mcryan join the party and now I'm pretty lost as to where to go and I've been wondering around for days.

Any tips?

Top Bottom