• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8 & DQ1 for iOS/Android seemingly headed to the West

Shai-Tan

Banned
Nice. I don't know if I could stomach playing through it again though. I got to the part with the ship in the desert then my 60gb ps3 died.

KtSlime

Hey, if your fine playing a 100 hour rpg with touch controls, be my guest. Its not how I'd like to play this game or genre.

It's an unneeded reaction. I imagine if I went into the the Bravely Default thread and said "eww, why won't SE put this on Vita, or PS3" I'd be banned. How people get away with doing it in iOS/Android threads is beyond me.

I've put in about 25 hours on the iOS DQ VIII port, it plays well enough, and the one handed control is nice. Take a drink, have a smoke, eat Cheetos, it's rather convenient.

Nope. It's Portrait only.
Well that's a real shame. Dragon Quest VIII would be much more fun to play in landscape mode, and I don't like playing most games in portrait mode.

It would be really nice if they would make a landscape version. I would be much more interested in buying this if they did.

KiTA

Well that's a real shame. Dragon Quest VIII would be much more fun to play in landscape mode, and I don't like playing most games in portrait mode.

It would be really nice if they would make a landscape version. I would be much more interested in buying this if they did.

Actually, I think the portrait mode is brilliant.

For one, it's literally the first game I can think of that's portrait mode. Especially a port from another system to mobile.

But the main thing? It lets you play the game one handed. If you're standing up on public transportation in Japan, the ability to play DQ1 or whatnot while standing around looking bored is actually kinda nice.

Great. Piss money away on this while Dragon Quest 7 3DS exists. At this rate the only way I expect we'll ever get to play DQ7 3DS in English is if the 3DS flash cart scene kicks off and some group wants to spend several years of their time hacking and translating the game themselves. A phenomenal amount of work that I doubt anyone will want to undertake

wrowa

So... Square-Enix thinks that localizing old DQ titles is more profitable than localizing new titles ?

Lol.

DQVIII already has a top-notch localization, they can just re-use it. Bringing DQVIII iOS to the West is an absolute no-brainer.

DQI &II don't have good localizations, but those games don't have all that much teyt to begin with. It's a relatively easy job.

On the other hand, you have DQVII on the 3DS that doesn't have a good excisting localization and is absolutely text-heavy. You have DQX, which is a subscription-based MMO of a not very popular franchise (in the West). You have DQM, a series whose last entries horriby bombed...

It makes absolute sense to bring the iOS titles over -- and it also makes sense why SE is nit bringing over DQVII/DQM/DQX.

KiTA

Works fine on my US iPhone.

I believe that you have to switch the store to a Japanese iTunes account to buy it though?

Google Play doesn't do it that way, there's only one Google Play store, it just hides search results not available in your region. If you find the link in another way, it... should work, except that SE has specifically asked Google not to let US/EU people buy it.

Which makes sense if they are localizing it. It makes less sense when they pull that stunt with DQX.

Goli

It's an unneeded reaction. I imagine if I went into the the Bravely Default thread and said "eww, why won't SE put this on Vita, or PS3" I'd be banned. How people get away with doing it in iOS/Android threads is beyond me.

I've put in about 25 hours on the iOS DQ VIII port, it plays well enough, and the one handed control is nice. Take a drink, have a smoke, eat Cheetos, it's rather convenient.
I don't get why that's allowed either.

I hope they release the entire 2D series on tablets.

That's... exactly what they're gonna do.

"Seethe with nerd rage" is the one of the saddest and least threatening things I've ever heard.

Anyway, I'll grab Dragon Quest I on iOS, since there might be an iPad Mini in my near future.

sublimit

Banned
I don't give a crap about your shitty iOS ports SE.Just give me DQVII 3DS and DQX for WiiU FFS.
Oh and DQ Monsters 2.

Mozendo

Man, just saw the screenshots of Dragon Quest 1 on mobile machines.
I would rather play the GBC version.

But it's great news for people who want to get into the series or don't want to buy a console to get into the series.

sörine

Banned
I would rather play the GBC version.
Speaking of this, with SE going into cash-grab mode with DQ I wonder if there's any chance of seeing the old games on Virtual Console now?

The only reason it never happened on Wii was because of prestiege but I think now with super cheapo smartphone ports that's likely changing. I sure wouldn't mind the GBC versions of I-III on my 3DS.

justjohn

Why do they always insist on giving us games we don't want and ignoring the ones we want? The most annoying company ever I swear.

I'd rather play DQVIII on my ipad so hopefully they'll eventually make it landscape compatible, if just for that. Knowing SE, though, they'll just do a seperate release and make the two version incompatible : /

I loved dragon quest VIII on PS2, but I've been burned to many times with shitty square ports, I will not be buying VIII, I might get DQ 1, maybe DQIII and DQV If they get released here but not VIII. The framerate in those videos were terrible, and I'm sure it will not contain the international improvements or the excellent voice acting of the original US/EU release.

Shogun1337

No thanks.

I wanted DQVIII for anything BUT smartphones

And in true Square Enix fashion, they fuck that up as well.

Burn in hell, SE.

Durante

It would also be pretty much impossible from a design standpoint.
How so? I don't think it would be particularly hard. PC games were designed to work with a variety of aspect ratios for years. Just make your HUD and UI floating and put them in the correct positions depending on the mode the device is in.

DQ has voice acting? Must be a US thing.

only DQVIII has voiceacting, and it really is some of the best VA in a game during the PS2 era.

some of the other changes like changing some of the tracks to the orchestral arrangement and changing the menus from entirely text based to text+ Image (think DQ9) are not as nice but the VA is top notch!

Sucks. Been duped in buying a few iOS games (GTA, FFIV) and disliked them all. If DQ8 (one game I REALLY want to play) is portrait and only on iOS I can't purchase it ... I just can't.

Alric

Wish they would of gave us a Vita version. Is the IOS version also low resolution textures and terrible Frame rate?

KiTA

How so? I don't think it would be particularly hard. PC games were designed to work with a variety of aspect ratios for years. Just make your HUD and UI floating and put them in the correct positions depending on the mode the device is in.

The problem is, that means that you've basically regulated the game to only use the minimum of the two sizes.

Say we're talking about 320x200.

Well, if you're supporting 200x320 and 320x200, that means you only have a window of 200x200 guaranteed to actually be usable. The rest either doesn't exist (the landscape parts when in portrait mode, for example) or will be covered by the UI.

This isn't as big a problem with DQ8 exactly, due to it being fully 3D and having a camera, but literally every other game in the series, especially 1-6, are tile based. Barring a prohibitively expensive complete DQ7 style redesign, which would have made the project economically unfeasible (Especially since this is a pretty clear cash grab) picking one or the other is really the only way to do it.

And ultimately Portrait mode works best for the situation -- the games are designed to be played on phones, one handed, while on public transportation.

cafemomo

People should really avoid this DQVIII mobile port.

Portrait mode is HORRID and it isn't very comfortable to play for long periods.

Eusis

Sounds like portrait mode was a grossly miscalculated move to appease those that don't want to obviously be playing a game on the train and/or to appeal to those who're use to puzzle games like that. Either they'll have to deal with the fact they're obviously playing games, move to other games, or be crazy and deal with the discomfort I'd think.

KiTA

Man, I'm so old I remember when there was no portrait or landscape mode, you had one mode, and it was on an ancient CRT TV. :p

Top Bottom