• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

CorvoSol

Funny, when I think back on it how little it meant to me back on the NES when Torneko's stated goal was to become the greatest arms merchant of all.

But war profiteer is pretty much the alternate meaning of that job title, isn't it.

Well I mean, Ballymoral's king WANTS to invade Endor, and who is it that's making a killing stocking his armory and financing the building of this bridge?

Jolly ol' Torneko Taloon, a simple, humble, merchant/family man from rural Lakanaba. So far I've been a butt kicking feral Russian princess, an over the hill old knight, a stylishly dressed but apparently unimportant kid in some town somewhere doing nothing and now I am making a killing financing people making killings.

As someone told me just the other day, the goal of this chapter is to "fuck bitches, get paid."

And now I realize how Torneko is possibly the most essential character of the final party outside the Hero in an unspoken sense.

After all, apart from droppings from monsters, the funding and supplies for a journey of indeterminate length are probably from his own warchest. The
ship
is also his.

Makes for a funny juxtaposition when you consider his role and usefulness in actual combat.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So much for "I didn't have any problems". That dungeon in the sunken city was brutal. I didn't die (at least not the whole party), but I was very close a few times. Thank god I had StopSpell and the Bless staff. The boss fight was incredibly close as well.

CorvoSol

Dragon Quest 4 taught children of all ages about economics and war profiteering, and Dragon Quest 5 teaches them about eugenics and marrying people you don't love because of strategy.

Nlnnr1q.jpg

Cloud Strife who? Sorry, but TORNEKO TALOON IS DA GOAT.

I played that a few years ago. It holds up. They made the switch to 3d a gen before Pokemon, and it looks decent. Like a lower quality DQ8. I've always preferred the breeding system in the DQ monsters games to Pokemon because you get new monsters from the combination, and they're stronger than they otherwise would be. It's probably closer to shin megami tensei games.

Thanks, doesn't sound so bad, i might actually give it a shot then :)

Sojiro

Well my used slim PS2 just arrived yesterday so I can finally start Dragon Quest 8, since my old PS2 just hates that disc. Tested it out last night and it runs great, didn't really play since I need to make room on my memory card, but I am excited to start it. I will admit I am a bit bummed that there doesn't seem to be a class system from what has been mentioned on here, but I am eager to finally give it a shot.

ronito

I'm playing through DQVI right now. I wanted to finish all the mainline DQs this year. But I'm holding out on VII just in case they actually localize it.....who am I kidding? *sob*

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm playing through DQVI right now. I wanted to finish all the mainline DQs this year. But I'm holding out on VII just in case they actually localize it.....who am I kidding? *sob*

That was me last year. I finished up 2, 3, 5, and 6 last year to get everything except for 7...

I have the discs...the time commitment intimidates me though :(

ronito

I tried DQVII three times before it finally "clicked" and I fell in love with it. I put in 75 hours into it and got to the point where you have to switch discs to do the final dungeon and my save got corrupted. :(

My second favorite DQ game (after #3) and I've never finished it.

That was me last year. I finished up 2, 3, 5, and 6 last year to get everything except for 7...

I have the discs...the time commitment intimidates me though :(

My 3rd run through 7 only took 65 hours. Granted I know how to avoid grinding in that game and I knew where most things were but using a walkthrough you could do nearly as well.

65 hours is still super long.

Ourobolus

Banned
My 3rd run through 7 only took 65 hours. Granted I know how to avoid grinding in that game and I knew where most things were but using a walkthrough you could do nearly as well.

65 hours is still super long.
Yeah. I won't use a walk through. Oddly enough, I did start the game ages ago and made it at least about 10 hours in, but I have absolutely no idea where I was supposed to go when I went back to it a few weeks later.

EDIT: I will use a guide for jobs/classes though. I want to see what I get before I commit.

I've never played any of these games, but couldn't pass up $10 DQ9 for DS a while back. Is it worth playing for someone not really into turn-based RPG games, and really has not interest in JRPGs?

ronito

I've never played any of these games, but couldn't pass up $10 DQ9 for DS a while back. Is it worth playing for someone not really into turn-based RPG games, and really has not interest in JRPGs?

Dunno.
I'd say IX is amongst the weakest in the bunch. But my wife didn't play jRPGs when we picked it up and she loved playing it with me.

As much as I love DQ, I'm not sure why it has such a mainstream grip on Japan. Like, it's cute and classic, but why are people so addicted to it there?

Gloam

As much as I love DQ, I'm not sure why it has such a mainstream grip on Japan. Like, it's cute and classic, but why are people so addicted to it there?

Because it's cute and classic. It has cross-generational appeal with the character designs and writing, the mechanics are fun and easily accessible and it was in the right place at the right time. It's also a series that keeps a lot of its core elements consistant from game to the next, while changing other things up to make each game seem familiar, yet, fresh

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Dragon Quest Monsters 2 best ever.

Do regret not getting the LE 3DS LL though yeah dont need a 3rd one... lol

Sojiro

Glad that there is at last a DQ community thread. Now I have a place to show off my stuff.

jGIeuH4l.jpg

Wow that is really really awesome man, very jealous. I only recently picked up a 3DS and got the gold legend of zelda one, which is nice too, but I would like this even more :).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Last time I played them all it took me within about five hours of the total time it took me to clear DQ 1-5 to beat 7.

6 and 8 aren't slouches either and when I really got into grottos I had even more time clocked on 9 than I did on 7.

It took me years and years to replay 7 after swearing I'd only do it for a remake.

Jucksalbe

Banned

It's nice how they always find time for a stupid joke even when the overall situation is heart-breaking serious.

...and I'm still trying to catch up on my old save. I can still remember some small upcoming things, but seeing as not many portals are left I should reach it soon.

tebunker

Banned
Should we hold out hope that Nintendo's publishing agreement will allow them to easily bring the DS versions to the VC? We didn't get the NES games on Wii but I would love to have some of these without having to hunt down the carts for any platform

So for someone who has only played DQ8 and loved it, what is the most recommended DQ moving forward? I don't want it to be too long like DQ7 and I don't want it to be too "archaic" like probably the NES titles. I'm considering starting DQ5 based on good word of mouth for it but I'm not sure which format...

kunonabi

Finally picked up dq x and the wii collection during my japan trip. Didnt grab vii since im giving it till e3 for a localization announcement. Still need to pick up vi and viii at some point though.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So for someone who has only played DQ8 and loved it, what is the most recommended DQ moving forward? I don't want it to be too long like DQ7 and I don't want it to be too "archaic" like probably the NES titles. I'm considering starting DQ5 based on good word of mouth for it but I'm not sure which format...

DQ5 is a good a choice. I'd recommend the DS version or if you don't mind playing a fan translation the PS2 version.

Dragon Quest V is indeed a good follow up, or Dragon Quest IX. For V, the DS version if you can find it for a good price - there was a period where it was really rare and expensive but I think it got a reprint so perhaps that's no longer an issue. The PS2 version is better, but the translation out there isn't as good.

Gloam

As others have stated DQV on DS is a great game to try, the PS2 version is good as well but the fan translation is more vanilla than the official translations, which is a good or bad thing depending on how you feel about puns and the like.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
In other news, the Luminaries of the Legendary Line trademark was updated with a picture of the words. Using the same font used in the DQ DS remakes.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/ImageAgent/ImageAgentProxy?getImage=86185035

Probably nothing. LoLL is considered likely to be the subtitle the localizers of DQ4-6 thought up for DQ2. (Seeds of Salvation being DQ3, mind you.)
When's the last time DQII was released by itself and not in a collection, though? It seems weird to me that they'd put up a trademark for that game specifically.

Top Bottom