• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Laws00

I haven't seen talk about it but is that dragon quest slime controller still coming out for PS4? They said it should be coming out July 29th but that was back in April.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think I'm almost done with VIII? I'm done with
the Pirate Cove, obtained Red
. How far am I in?

This is also the last mainline DQ (not counting X coz MMO) for me to complete and I've completed all mainline DQ games. :p

Afterwards, I'll move on to Dragon Quest Heroes 2 but The Great Rift place is nuts, any tips?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Cool. I thought this game would be like 80 hours long.

I did reach
Empycchu
at 32 hours though. I guess the battle fast forward helped a lot.

For the record, I beat DQVII 3DS at 63 hours, even if people mentioned it would take 100 hours or so.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Cool. I thought this game would be like 80 hours long.

I did reach
Empycchu
at 32 hours though. I guess the battle fast forward helped a lot.

For the record, I beat DQVII 3DS at 63 hours, even if people mentioned it would take 100 hours or so.
DQVIII definitely isn't an 80 hour long game unless you want to do everything.
Looks like you're playing at a similar pace to me - VII took me 6x hours as well.
In this case, getting to the true ending of VIII should take you about 4x hours.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It all depends on your playstyle, I guess. On PS2 DQ8 took me around ~75 hours, as far as I remember, my current save is at 91 hours with the post-game stuff done.
Dragon Quest VII took me 85 hours on PSX and still 71 hours on 3DS. But I usually like to wander around, talk to many people and generally not immediately follow the way you're supposed to go.

I've been playing Dragon Quest Monsters 2 (GBC) lately. It's been one of my favorite games of all time for over a decade. I adore the magic key world generation system. I'm sad we never got either of the remakes in English speaking territories, but I'm okay with waiting however many decades the translation effort on the PSX version takes.

Hey, so where should a newcomer start for this series? Any particular one a must-play that introduces someone to all the core mechanics of the series well enough, without being too difficult?

On the flip-side, is there one that is more of an oddball entry that you should only dive into after being experienced with other games?

Keep in mind I'm only really talking about the mainline numbered games that have been remade on DS/3DS (with that said, if anyone has any experience with the first three games and thinks at least one of them is a must-play, definitely say so).

I've always considered Dragon Quest III to be the series' centerpiece. It's an absolute blast. The SFC remake fan translation is good and the visuals and audio are fantastic. That said, the GBC version is absolutely fantastic if it's more convenient.

Prophane33

Hopefully this is allowed here. Recently posted a picture of my collection on reddit, so figured I'd share it here.

FoLAgFul.jpg

Not pictured are my DS remakes of IV, V, VI, along with IX, which are in storage, and of course still waiting a week XI (3DS) and the V-Jump guide.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Nice collection. The boxes all look like they're in really good condition. I recognize that blue DQ1+2 guide. I own that, too, for some reason, even though I can't read (much) Japanese.

1upsuper

I've always considered Dragon Quest III to be the series' centerpiece. It's an absolute blast. The SFC remake fan translation is good and the visuals and audio are fantastic. That said, the GBC version is absolutely fantastic if it's more convenient.
Bingo. I'd say start with III but you can really start anywhere but IX.

Hey, so where should a newcomer start for this series? Any particular one a must-play that introduces someone to all the core mechanics of the series well enough, without being too difficult?

On the flip-side, is there one that is more of an oddball entry that you should only dive into after being experienced with other games?

Keep in mind I'm only really talking about the mainline numbered games that have been remade on DS/3DS (with that said, if anyone has any experience with the first three games and thinks at least one of them is a must-play, definitely say so).
DQ5 or DQ8 would be the popular choices out of those.

As for the oddball to play last, I'd just say you shouldn't play DQ7 first because of its long length...though DQ8 isn't much shorter.

As for the last paragraph, if you have an Android or iOS device you could get good versions of DQ1-3 on it (among many others). So they aren't difficult to get. DQ3 is considered one of the best DQs.

Contact

Neo Member
DQVIII on the 3DS and V on the DS are the best places to start. DQVIII is pure RPG bliss and DQV has you following the hero through his life and you catch monster to be your companions.

You can just look at the the OP and see which mainline game picks your interest the most. I'd also recommend checking out the Monster series, specially the Joker ones. Btw, considering you have a 3DS you can play every mainline entry from IV.

Answers in bold.

1upsuper

Answers in bold.

I'm gonna have to disagree on the Joker recommendations. Monsters 1, 2, and their 3DS remakes are my favorite games period. The Jokers on the other hand range from severely disappointing to good. I'd only recommend them if you adore the Monsters series and want more.

Contact

Neo Member
I'm gonna have to disagree on the Joker recommendations. Monsters 1, 2, and their 3DS remakes are my favorite games period. The Jokers on the other hand range from severely disappointing to good. I'd only recommend them if you adore the Monsters series and want more.

Tbh the only Monsters games he can play on the 3DS/DS are the Joker ones, unless he is japanese.

I just ordered it from Play-Asia with my paycheck this morning. It should be arriving next week. Says between July 30th (unlikely as that is a Sunday) and August 3rd.

I have to order the guide book separately and thus pay double the shipping. No way am I going to use PA Economy Shipping. Express or bust. Had an issue with OoT 3D. Never again.

1upsuper

Tbh the only Monsters games he can play on the 3DS/DS are the Joker ones, unless he is japanese.

If you don't know the language there are still plenty of resources out there for getting through the two Monsters remakes on 3DS. Plus, if you've played the originals, and you definitely should, you won't have much trouble at all. I'm not going to recommend a lesser product just because it's more convenient. That's not my bag.

Obviously, please mark spoilers but I will totally be checking them out. Is there a good Japanese site I can translate though that is moving through it?

Is double posting allowed if it's not right in a row?

Anyway, my progress so far in a few hours as I like to grind.

Name: しりょう
Level: 7
Equipment: Copper Sword (one-hand), Leather Armor, Leather Shield, and soon Leather Helmet once I get enough gold

Haven't used any skill points

Just finished Dragon Quest IV on Android and really loved it (aside from chapter 6 which was.. odd). Currently working through XI, but I'm using it as a study tool partially so when I'm burnt out on the language barrier for the day, I'm thinking I'll go through VI next. Wanted to get some input - am I better off playing the mobile version, DS version, or SNES version? My preference currently is towards SNES, but the bugs and incomplete nature of the fan translation are a bit concerning. Anything that I should watch out for if I do that one? Mostly worried about the menu crash I've heard about and to what extent the translation is incomplete.

I'm thinking I'll go through VI next. Wanted to get some input - am I better off playing the mobile version, DS version, or SNES version? My preference currently is towards SNES, but the bugs and incomplete nature of the fan translation are a bit concerning. Anything that I should watch out for if I do that one? Mostly worried about the menu crash I've heard about and to what extent the translation is incomplete.
Tbh I'd go for SNES if only cause 6 DS looks really dang similar to 4 and 5 while the SNES version looks really nice for what the system was capable of.

Tbh I'd go for SNES if only cause 6 DS looks really dang similar to 4 and 5 while the SNES version looks really nice for what the system was capable of.

yeah the aesthetics and what I've heard about the scenario pacing are really pushing me towards the SNES version. Is the translation quality alright?

So I started playing through this series on my phone this year. Up to DQIV so far. Really enjoying them. The only other one I've played is IX for the DS.

I decided to see if there was a community thread so I could make it known that breath attacks are the bane of my existence.

Pepboy

So I started playing through this series on my phone this year. Up to DQIV so far. Really enjoying them. The only other one I've played is IX for the DS.

I decided to see if there was a community thread so I could make it known that breath attacks are the bane of my existence.

Play Dragon Quest Monsters and then you'll love breath attacks again.

But more seriously, breath attacks are something I sometimes have issue with -- it's sometimes unclear what blocks breath attacks vs ice and fire magic attacks. Like a dragon belching flames is often not reduced by armor that reduces fire damage... I can't tell if this is an error in the localization / translation or if it's an intentional ambiguity by the developers.

Just finished Dragon Quest IV on Android and really loved it (aside from chapter 6 which was.. odd). Currently working through XI, but I'm using it as a study tool partially so when I'm burnt out on the language barrier for the day, I'm thinking I'll go through VI next. Wanted to get some input - am I better off playing the mobile version, DS version, or SNES version? My preference currently is towards SNES, but the bugs and incomplete nature of the fan translation are a bit concerning. Anything that I should watch out for if I do that one? Mostly worried about the menu crash I've heard about and to what extent the translation is incomplete.

I haven't tried the SNES for 6, but I can mention that be careful to save your game before talking to people in Portoga in the fan translation of DQ 3 SNES. There's one woman on the second floor of one building whose speech runs over and crashes the game, at least in the version I played. Otherwise the translation was great.

Creating a thread for newcomers?

EDIT2: Well perhaps not, I just saw that the OP of the community thread might be sufficient for helping people learn about DQ games.

(Original text) With the recent release of XI and announcement of localization, I was also wondering if it might be good to create a sort of FAQ thread for newcomers to DQ on GAF. Something that introduces the series, talks about the various strengths and weaknesses of the game, maybe creating a flowchart to help people sort into the DQ game that is most likely to suit their interests, shows off the pixel and monster art, dispells some of the misunderstandings, and provide additional links to other DQ resources on the web.

If others thought this could be a nice addition, I was thinking of investing an hour or two this weekend on creating a draft which I will try to post on here to get feedback. We can then message the mods for permission to create a new thread with the information. What do you all think?

Aeana

I don't think we need to create a new thread. If we want the OP updated, I can do it, or Jucksalbe can do it. He's obviously still around and I'm sure he's willing to help out.

Psxphile

But more seriously, breath attacks are something I sometimes have issue with -- it's sometimes unclear what blocks breath attacks vs ice and fire magic attacks. Like a dragon belching flames is often not reduced by armor that reduces fire damage... I can't tell if this is an error in the localization / translation or if it's an intentional ambiguity by the developers.

Fire and Ice resistance only protects against actual elemental magic: Blaze, Crackle, etc.
Breath attacks are their own category going by experience: whether they're fire, ice or whatever; only something that resists breath (Dragon equipment, for example) will reduce the damage. Or at least that's always been the case to me.

ZeroD

Hey so with the announcement of Version 4 of DQX I'm wondering if it's worth jumping into.

When it first came out I couldn't speak or read Japanese so I never touched it. Thinking about picking up the bundle pack for switch.

Anyone with thoughts/recommendations etc

Does Itadaki Street have online multiplayer?

I might consider the Vita version if so. If not, then PS4 would be the obvious choice.

ggx2ac

I just finished Dragon Quest 3 on Android. My party was Hero, Mage, Thief, Cleric of which I turned
Mage and Cleric into Sages.

I started the series playing DQ1 (Android) back in 2015 but I never finished it, I guess I can get back into it now.

Maybe not yet since I will go through DQ5 (Android) and DQ7 (3DS remake) next.

Mentioning DQ1 because of the ending in DQ3:

Edit: Noticed that Ortega's intro isn't in the Smartphone game so I was confused about his appearance in the game or lack thereof.

Oh, so Dragon Quest 3 is a prequel to 1 and 2 considering the ending said that,
"To be continued to Dragon Quest I - II".

Anyway, Dragon Quest 3 was pretty good. Nice conveniences like using AI for my allies because I didn't need to control them except for boss fights.

Fast travel using Zoom was handy and the spells to reduce enemy encounters: Holy Protection, Padfoot. It's too bad the enemy sprites aren't animated in the Smartphone game as someone mentioned.

There was interesting stuff that happened during the game:

-
That couple that drowned themselves to death, that would be a very painful way to go.

-
Having to be told that you're talking to a corpse because there are skeletons that are not corpses since they are undead.

-
Ortega felt like a trivial character. You finally found him and he dies but his death scene felt pointless considering the Hero didn't react.

-
Hard to picture that you started the game in a representation of Earth,
then you fall down the Pit of Giaga which sent you to another world. It was then I noticed the map from DQI and Alefgard.

Pepboy

Fire and Ice resistance only protects against actual elemental magic: Blaze, Crackle, etc.
Breath attacks are their own category going by experience: whether they're fire, ice or whatever; only something that resists breath (Dragon equipment, for example) will reduce the damage. Or at least that's always been the case to me.

Ah okay, thank you. That was my assumption but I also got a bit confused because there is sometimes armor that is good against "magic" attacks more generally IIRC. So I guess General Magic Armor is usually better than Fire and Ice Resistant Magic Armor and Breath attack resistant armor is it's own category.

ggx2ac

Changed my mind and reinstalled Dragon Quest I (Android). Had to start over since there's no cloud saves but I would have forgotten what to do.

Managed to finish it within a day, that was quick.

Last boss was
easy in comparison to Dragon Quest 3.

The only time that it was annoying to grind for levels was when I
needed to learn Midheal so then I could beat that knight that guards Erdrick's Armour in the desert(ed) town.

ggx2ac

I'm probably not too far from the end of Dragon Quest 2 now, I need one more
(Soul) Sigil
, and the
celestial skein
, I already have
Erdrick's stuff except the Armour

But anyway, Dragon Quest 2 feels like a big improvement over the first game but there's one thing that I hate about the game. They increased the encounter rate by a lot. I'm in a tower or cave and I get into an encounter, beat the monsters but then I take literally two steps forward and another encounter occurs. It's ridiculous.

I've been putting some time into DQV and it's on pace to become one of my favorite games.

I started playing it too but got sidetracked by Dragon Quest 2 (Android) since I may as well finish that first.

Kirie

All this DQXI hype got to me, so I ended up picking up VIII for the 3DS and I'm loving it so much! Such a warm and comfy game.

I played and finished VII earlier in the year and really enjoyed it, and I've previously finished IX, but that's all I've played of the series so far. I was thinking of picking up IV next but I'm a bit torn on which version to pick up. I'm assuming the mobile version is the best since it has party chat in it, but otherwise how is it in comparison to the DS version? Any other notable differences?

Top Bottom