• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IV English site open. Release date Sept. 16, 2008!

lyre

\m/ *throws up the horns* \m/

Htown said:
Getting better, Square. You're almost there. Now think, and think hard: there's another RPG you have with Toriyama art. You can remake that one too. Can you picture it? Do you remember?
I'm having a hard time trying to remember that other Square game that featured Toriyama art ... *shrugs* It was probably a very niche game that doesn't really matter anyway. "/

Caoz

I shall eat a plate of enchiladas with a Tecate while watching a fireworks display.

And then I shall play some DQIV.

NolbertoS

Aeana said:
You should change your name to 'kaboom.'

I was mad when SE changed the names of the spells, I was always used to "Bang", "Boom" and "Explodet" in DQII to VII and than in DQ VIII they became "boom" and "kaboom". It took me awhile to learn what spells did what [face_angry] ;p

Edit: I'm so uber excited that to honour this great event, I'm buying all DQ IV, VII and VIII music CD's now. I'm only missing DQ music to complete my uber fan nerdiness DQ collection :p

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
Edit: Obligatory mention that they're still probably worth it despite the inevitable Square-Enix Tax (and, if DQIV is any indication, they'd be worth even more for that matter), but that said S-E Tax still sucks because it's going to hurt the sales potential among people who aren't already fans. :(

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Final Fantasy can get away with the whole Square Tax thing because of name recognition, but I don't think Dragon Quest has that kind of clout with western gamers. I'm not saying that Dragon Quest IV will bomb or anything horrible like that, but I don't think the Square Tax will help.

As for myself, I'll shamelessly be betraying my principles and paying the Square Tax for this game day one.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
NolbertoS said:
I was mad when SE changed the names of the spells, I was always used to "Bang", "Boom" and "Explodet" in DQII to VII and than in DQ VIII they became "boom" and "kaboom". It took me awhile to learn what spells did what [face_angry] ;p
I thought the same before, but I got used to the new spell names. Aeana showed me some DQ JP spells names, and the new English spell names aren't bad at all. They actually make sense, to me now.

Aeana

NolbertoS said:

The new spell names are far better localizations of the Japanese spell names, which are mostly gibberish and onomatopoeia. I personally think the older English names are pretty lame.

NolbertoS

Aeana said:
The new spell names are far better localizations of the Japanese spell names, which are mostly gibberish and onomatopoeia.

Yeah, that's what I heard from many people, but I was so used to them for eons, that it took awhile to get accustomed to them. It even took me awhile to recognize the name "Loto" too, as I was always used to having the hero be "Erdrick" and DQ did wonders to my "Shakespearean English" too :p

Rpgmonkey

I remember being so confused when I first saw some of the DQ spell names in Japanese.

I kept thinking they were supposed to be actual words. >_>

Edit: Oh cool, my first topic and it reached three pages.

NolbertoS

Rpgmonkey said:
I remember being so confused when I first saw some of the DQ spell names in Japanese.

I kept thinking they were supposed to be actual words. >_>

Edit: Oh cool, my first topic and it reached three pages.

Only cuz GAF has alot of DQ diehard fans :p..if this were any other gaming site, this thread would've died sadly :(

Rpgmonkey

NolbertoS said:
Only cuz GAF has alot of DQ diehard fans :p..if this were any other gaming site, this thread would've died sadly :(

That's kinda disappointing for this series...

Hopefully these games help it's popularity a bit more for non-Japanese regions.

justchris

Dragona Akehi said:
Just play DQIV through VI as they get released, and then come back and tell us. :p

VII and VIII are related too. Just not as closely as IV - VI which is less tightly knit compared to I - III.

Wait, VII & VIII are related? I totally missed that, and no way I have time to play through VII again to figure out the relationship.

I'm just glad I'll finally get to play V & VI. I was pissed when there was nothing after IV in the US for years and years and years....

Aeana

justchris said:
Wait, VII & VIII are related? I totally missed that, and no way I have time to play through VII again to figure out the relationship.

I'm just glad I'll finally get to play V & VI. I was pissed when there was nothing after IV in the US for years and years and years....

There's no official relationship. The worlds are similar, but I'd say that from my perspective, DQ8 has far more in common with 3 than 7.

justchris

Aeana said:
There's no official relationship. The worlds are similar, but I'd say that from my perspective, DQ8 has far more in common with 3 than 7.

Hmmmm...I could see that interpretation. VIII seems to stand pretty alone to me, though. There's some similarity, but no real story links. Maybe IX will tie it all together.

Anyway, I remember getting the Zenithian Sword & Helm and such in US IV, so I'm not sure why they'd change it now for the remakes.

Teknoman

SPOILER ALERT

So then just to make sure, the final boss + animations and music should be like this on the DS then?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EY84QkCfKdQ (PS1 version)

Im still buying no matter what (all 3 to be more precise) but just curious.

EDIT: Nevermind just saw a youtube video of IV DS and the animations are even better. Who knows what other updates will be added for the NA version :D

Also gotta say Necrosaro looks alot more menacing than dark emperor fatso in DQ VIII >_>

Hive

Banned
Aeana, I've never played a Dragon Quest yet, but I can't wait to try them out. I will get IV, V, VI, and IX when they release and post my (FIRST!) impressions ^o^

Since V is your favorite, I'm looking forward to that the most too~

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cdammen said:
FINALLY A CONFIRMATION! But fuck, why do we have to wait so long? I wanted to play it during the summer :(

They dont want FF IV and DQ IV banging into each other

JEKKI

ugh... too much hype...

seriously tho... THIS is the reason why the small stack of games that I own but dont have time to play now will never get played!!!

Red Scarlet

NolbertoS said:
Never doubted Dragona, Red Scarlett or Aeana about the games coming stateside, but as Red Scarlett said, I was afraid they'd get "Heartbeat'd"

I've never said they would come out in the US. 1 t.

Teknoman

JEKKI said:
ugh... too much hype...

seriously tho... THIS is the reason why the small stack of games that I own but dont have time to play now will never get played!!!

Heh you? This will be the first summer that I didnt have the chance to kill off my backlog.

Delio

Man i have never really played thru a DQ game but i think these three will be my first real jump into it. I love the rpg love the DS gets it's so nice.

Mechar

Neo Member
Wow! Threee Dragon Quest games coming stateside is awesome! I will deffinetely pick them all up, hopefully via import (screw PAL). With said, I now need to get Dragon Quest VIII also. I´ve also been dying to play it to. Way to go, Square Enix. Your position in my book just jumped a little higher.

Aeana

Mechar said:
Wow! Threee Dragon Quest games coming stateside is awesome! I will deffinetely pick them all up, hopefully via import (screw PAL). With said, I now need to get Dragon Quest VIII also. I´ve also been dying to play it to. Way to go, Square Enix. Your position in my book just jumped a little higher.

Square Enix's portable games have been released in Europe about a week before the North American versions, recently, and it'll be the same for DQ4 at the very least.

Zanasea

Aeana said:
Square Enix's portable games have been released in Europe about a week before the North American versions, recently, and it'll be the same for DQ4 at the very least.
FFTA2 will be released a week later! Damn you, Square!

soul

Just to put the finishing touch, here's the official press release. S-E included huge logos of the three remakes and ten (old) screens of DQIV. If anyone has a need for those then ask away.

EXPERIENCE DRAGON QUEST IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND ZENITHIA TRILOGY ANNOUNCED FOR EUROPE

London (21st May 2008) – Square Enix Ltd., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in Europe and other PAL territories, today announces that the Zenithia Trilogy, which includes DRAGON QUEST®: The Chapters of the Chosen™, DRAGON QUEST: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride™ and DRAGON QUEST: Realms of Reverie™ is coming to Europe and PAL territories. The trilogy begins this September with the release of DRAGON QUEST: The Chapters of the Chosen exclusively on the Nintendo DS™ system.

Get ready to journey through the lands, seas and skies of the vibrant DRAGON QUEST world with a trilogy of updates that bring three classic tales exclusively to Nintendo DS. With 3D graphics, newly animated monsters and dual screen presentation, the series that has shipped over 43 million units to date promises to captivate an entirely new generation of players, as well as treat long-time fans to three beloved adventures.

The trilogy begins with DRAGON QUEST: The Chapters of the Chosen, an exciting new update of the classic NES title DRAGON QUEST IV. The forthcoming trilogy, not only represents an opportunity to now play the titles on the Nintendo DS, but it is the first time these classic titles have been released in Europe.

John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix Ltd. comments, "DRAGON QUEST: The Chapters of the Chosen is another excellent addition to the beloved DRAGON QUEST series. I hope that game players throughout Europe will enjoy the humour and excitement and look forward to future adventures with DRAGON QUEST: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride and DRAGON QUEST: Realms of Reverie."

About DRAGON QUEST: The Chapters of the Chosen

Enjoy a unique storyline split between five distinct chapters as you accompany a host of heroes in a colourful world filled with memorable monsters and secret treasure. DRAGON QUEST: The Chapters of the Chosen receives a complete audio/visual overhaul that breathes new life into this classic adventure with advanced 3D graphics and DS Wireless Communications.

Story

DRAGON QUEST: The Chapters of the Chosen is made up of five chapters, each chapter introducing new and unique characters to the tale. As the player, you will experience the story along with these characters, unfolding a vast and epic adventure as you go.

Chapter 1: Ragnar McRyan and the Case of the Missing Children
Once upon a time, in the far away kingdom of Burland, the Royal Knight Ragnar Mc Ryan was ordered by the King to investigate kidnappings that had been troubling the kingdom. Did he manage to solve the mystery? There's only one way to find out...

Chapter 2: Alena and the Journey to the Tourney
Alena, precocious Tsarevna of Zamoksva, was a curious child whose skill in combat marked her as something of a tomboy. She was forever causing trouble for her father, the Tsar, and his retainers. But one day, she finally managed to escape the confines of the castle...

Chapter 3: Torneko and the Extravagant Excavation
Torneko Taloon was an apprentice merchant who was blessed with a lovely wife and son. He passed his days in peaceful obscurity-until he decided to set off and fulfil his dream of becoming the greatest merchant in the world...

Chapter 4: Meena and Maya and the Mahabala Mystery
Maya, a beautiful dancer, and Meena, her fortune-teller sister, set out on their travels to exact revenge on the murderer of their father, a world-renowned alchemist who was killed several years earlier. Did the sisters ever locate their father's mysterious assassin? Play on to find out...

Chapter 5: The Chosen
Once there was a small village that stood quietly in the deepest corner of the mountains. You, the hero, lived there with your doting parents, and passed endless happy days with your best friend Eliza. But one day everything changed, and your fate was altered forever...

Features

- The first appearance of a classic DRAGON QUEST adventure in Europe!
- Unique storyline of five main chapters each introducing new characters. Continue the story to unfold an epic and vast adventure!
- A vast, beautiful and colourful world to explore - with even more colourful characters to meet, monsters to battle and secret treasures to find!
- A complete audio/visual overhaul breathes new life into a classic with advanced 3D graphics and an arranged orchestral score.
- Use DS Wireless Communications to welcome pioneers met through chance encounters in the real world, transforming a tiny town into a metropolis!

About Square Enix Co., Ltd.
Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix) with headquarters in Tokyo, Japan, develops, publishes and distributes entertainment content including interactive entertainment software and publications in Asia, North America and Europe. Square Enix brings two of Japan's best-selling franchises – FINAL FANTASY®, which has sold over 80 million units worldwide, and DRAGON QUEST which has sold over 43 million units worldwide – under one roof. Square Enix is one of the most influential providers of digital entertainment content in the world and continues to push the boundaries of creativity and innovation.

About Square Enix Ltd.
Located in London, Square Enix Ltd. handles operations in Europe and other PAL territories including sales, marketing and publishing of Square Enix titles. More information on Square Enix Ltd. can be found on the Internet at http://www.square-enix.com

DRAGON QUEST, FINAL FANTASY, THE CHAPTERS OF THE CHOSEN, THE HAND OF THE HEAVENLY BRIDE, REALMS OF REVERIE, SQUARE ENIX and the SQUARE ENIX logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd. in United Kingdom and/or other countries. NINTENDO DS IS A TRADEMARK OF NINTENDO. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Square Enix Limited is a company registered in England & Wales under the number 3679704 whose registered office is Castle House, 37-45 Paul Street, London EC2A 4LS.

###

Almyn

soul said:
Press release

Nice, I was expecting to have to import but it's good to know i have no need to anymore. You never really know how Square is going do things in Europe, So it's nice to have confirmation of a September release.

Philia

lyre said:
\m/ *throws up the horns* \m/

Htown said:
Getting better, Square. You're almost there. Now think, and think hard: there's another RPG you have with Toriyama art. You can remake that one too. Can you picture it? Do you remember?

I'm having a hard time trying to remember that other Square game that featured Toriyama art ... *shrugs* It was probably a very niche game that doesn't really matter anyway. "/

Are you SERIOUS? OMG. That's a serious sign that Chrono Trigger needs a remake/port so badly.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Well there IS a rumour of Chrono Trigger DS going around... Not to get anyone's hopes up

btw good news that Europe is getting a september release too, continue walking this road Squeenix

Top Bottom